[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Telly thread

Telly thread

Off topic

Re: Television rules the nation

Postby hooplah » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:39 pm

hooplah

Postby b4my » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:30 am

I watched the first episode of that American Horror Story show today. It's not very good but it's extremely watchable, a lot of good actors clearly relishing being able to ham it up and spout ridiculous dialogue. And I have a soft spot for witches so we'll see where this goes.

b4my

Postby starfox64 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 am

been diving back in. so much stuff i missed the first 30 times (like ages 10-15).

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby RycePooding » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:28 pm

finally go around to watching Derek. I actually really liked it. It wasn't funny, but it definitely wasn't supposed to be. Corny, likeable characters abound, which I love. Definitely worth the ~3 hours it takes to watch the whole season.

RycePooding

Postby sknss » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby hooplah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:31 pm

hooplah

Postby fechner » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:30 am

Is anybody else watching The Pete Holmes Show? I've been a huge fan of his podcast for a long time and it's sort of surreal to see him with his own show. Here's my favorite segment so far:

He's kind of a goofball but the loveable kind.

fechner

Postby RycePooding » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:39 am

RycePooding

Postby hunnish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Just started American Horror Story and Gossip Girl. They both make me feel sick to my stomach but I keep watching.

hunnish

Postby thug » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:20 am

just finished the following(meh) started dexter (pretty good) and getting into House of Cards (really good)

thug

Postby jrisk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:33 am

Kinda really into this season of Legend of Korra. Korra's been more of a bitch than I think she should be but I'm enjoying the other characters and seeing more about the first avatar.

jrisk

Postby thug » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:36 am

I want to go back and watch avatar but where can I get it

I wish Netflix had it

thug

Postby jrisk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 am

jrisk

Postby Mippipopolous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Last episode of Korra was so good, jrisk. Always love the spirit world stuff. It's been so inconsistent this season though it's crazy.

I Just started watching The Returned too, it's this French drama that Sundance just imported over here and is getting great reviews. Only seen the first episode but I really enjoyed it a lot, such a great creepy atmosphere to it already.

Mippipopolous

Postby jrisk » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah, last episode was a game-changer imo. And just an amazing episode overall.

jrisk

Postby can- » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:50 pm

'It's not a bag, its a Birkin!'

both of these shows are dear to my heart. I love SatC because its a nonstop vision of NYC in the late 90s and early 00's, it's an accurate depiction of how the city looked and dressed. Girls because it seems so true to my generation, to those just out of college and trying to define themselves. and the popular culture of those who grew up in the SatC era doesn't really apply anymore/ the gap isn't as exaggerated as the gap between our generation and the baby boomers, but there is still a very confused generation of young people who got out of higher education without some defined STEM career track. "now what?"

where do these two shows collide? does Girls do in 2012 what SatC did in 98? is girls a pure and simple spiritual successor? is Girls a critique of SatC? does either show advance a socially progressive viewpoint, or do we just really love rich white girls?

SatC is a vision of the early to mid 90s- four 30y.o. women living it large in NYC. in 2013, the idea that carrie bradshaw could afford a west village brownstone on the paycheck of a sex columnist is ridiculous. in fact the idea that anyone with an education and willpower can 'make it' (in Sex's terms): fancy boozy brunches, weekly trips to Barney's, etc-- doesn't feel accessible anymore. there is a (toxic but pervasive) notion that someone has to "sell out" at some point to make it in the New World where wealth and knowledge are controlled by large corporations who manipulate first world politics and exploit third world labor and resources.

do trips to Barney's mean we've 'made it" anymore? the relationships in Girls are much less scripted, much more human than those in Sex (with the caveat of course, that i have much more shared experience with the writers and actors of Girls than Sex). with wealth inaccessible, are strong interpersonal relationships the new commodity? isn't in great that in 2013 we don't have to be fabulous anymore?

is Carrie a stronger character than Hannah? Hannah gets a lot of flak for being selfish and spoiled, but I see strength in her honestly w/r/t her insecurities and personal failings.

Is girls just another white girl fantasy adjusted for modern times? despite everything I have said and believe about my generation being slighted by our parents, these are still first world problems. the worst thing that could happen to a character in Girls is that they fail out of NYC as a young 20 something.

just some things i have been thinking about.

can-

Postby thug » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:06 pm

I enjoyed reading this ben.

I don't/don't plan on watching either of those shows but I know the premise and it's cool to have an in-depth look at them.

thug

Postby charybdis » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 pm

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby sknss » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:04 pm

really enjoying Fresh Meat so far

sknss

Postby Syeknom » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:31 pm

ooh, that looks fun. Not sure what I think of Jack Whitehall though.

Just watched the first episode of Utopia - fuck it's pretty brutal

Syeknom

Postby RycePooding » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Girls is so self aware, I love it so much. Watched all 20 eps in three days, and then went into a deep contemplative depression.

RycePooding

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:32 am

this should never have been canceled

ramseames

Postby can- » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:25 am

a little skeptical. feel like the other two characters would've made better spinoffs.

the pilot opens with a teaser for girls S3 tho which is awesome

can-

Postby SteevMike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 pm

anyone watching masters of sex? awful title and awful, awful, awful credit sequences but a pretty good show or maybe i'm just in love with lizzy caplan idk

SteevMike

Postby charybdis » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Watched three episodes of this with fruit:

But then we looked at the plot summary and realized that poor fur boy is forever cockblocked and forced to marry her cousin, who pushes her off a cliff and then he dies pining for her because she fell in love with someone else who wasn't introduced in the firs three episodes, so we were kinda like, fuck that shit.

Not watching this, but I really quite liked how all the girls in the Mulan live action remakes are styled super well. (Same goes for the one in Once Upon a Time.)

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby sknss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:10 am

Jerry Seinfeld wears Dana Lee

sknss

Postby === » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:22 am

the season finale to boardwalk empire was really sad last week, the way eli & nucky's storyline was resolved was kinda predictable but the chalky/narcisse/harrow stuff caught me off guard

B)
===

Postby agvs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Boardwalk Empire's finales have a way of making the whole season seem better. Not that I thought this season was bad. I think I enjoyed it more than last season because Eli and Chalky really developed as characters. Season 2 and Season 3 finales were so different but so good in their own ways. Both had great Harrow scenes. That ending was beautiful but sad.

agvs

Postby RycePooding » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Anyone else a big bobs burgers fan? Perfect for just having an episode on when you're not paying too much attention.

RycePooding

PreviousNext

Return to Care