[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - forum updates/info

forum updates/info

Off topic

Re: forum updates/info

Postby balloons » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 am

is it possible to embed images in rep comments?

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 am

What's the reason for changing words like r e d d i t? I don't like being edited and I think it might create issues around new users feeling out of the crowd. It's a bit clique-y.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby edward » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:42 pm

On a similar note, what does the x factor mean? I cannot for the life of me figure out what it censors (it does censure something, right?)

I know everything about film. I've seen over 240 of them.
edward

Postby bels » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Agree about the in crowd out crowd thing, though I think the general point of the censors is to stop people talking about stuff that is seen as undesirable, such as forum meta chat etc.

I think X-Factor is a replacement for IRC

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:05 pm

I think behaviour can be moderated with positive and negative rep much more clearly and effectively.

I have issues in general about being censured, even though its lighthearted I think it sends a poorer message than forum meta talk.

Bela, both you and ben asked me how i see c-t growing. In my opinion I don't think the community can grow if visitors have to learn a language (which is subject to change). KT is a semi regular user and has to ask me what a 'style flintstone' is. There are lots of examples of this in the site .

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby hooplah » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:55 pm

agree with and also think that it's not just an insular language, it's an inherent (though unintentional?) encouragement of an us-versus-them mentality. it enforces this idea that "we are so much better than stupid them that you can't even say their name here without it being changed to silly words" and also condones this sort of "i've moved on from r e d d i t and now feel superior" thing some people might have going on.

i think it's funny in some instances, but i also think it's detrimental and stands in opposition to the friendly, welcoming reputation of the board. sort of think we should treat it in the same vein as how we discourage people using typical deprecating internet-fashion-community meme-talk. it worked better when this board was significantly smaller and we all knew and recognized that we met each other on r-ddit. now, as the community has grown and expanded, it could at least be scaled back.

hooplah

Postby bels » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:56 pm

I think I agree with it being scaled back to be honest. Even some of the thread titles can be confusing. It's hard to balance because I find a lot of it so funny but I bet it's just weird and obtuse if you come in here and start a thread and then everyone tells you to check some weirdly named thread instead.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:07 pm

The shoe waywt thread is a good one. Has a funny name then what it actually is in []

bels
Yung Winona

Postby verilyvert » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:08 pm

If people still want to keep the replaced words but want to be more inclusive, maybe have a list of what means what with explanations of why the replacement is there in the first place (e.g. to avoid forum meta-chat, inside jokes and how the joke started, etc.).

Such a list could go in the thread.

verilyvert

Postby can- » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 am

the word censors aren't in place because anyone thinks we are better than anyone else, they are in place to protect the singular identity of care tags. reddit is not the only website that's leaked over with cross forum drama/talk but it tends to be the most frequent.

I also think it's hilarious when the filter kicks in. there are dozens of filters, many undiscovered and most totally unrelated to any one specific website. it's not meant to be a form of hazing

can-

Postby bels » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

I know it's not meant to be, but what if it comes across as such?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:14 am

When this site first started there was, I think, a possibility of it turning into a place where people who were disillusioned with master of fine arts to vent about their frustrations on that board or spend a bunch of time shit talking users over there or whatever. This isn't really an issue now, but I don't think that fear was totally unfounded, as there were a few instances of people doing that. Regardless, I like the fact that the filters break any links to r d it, since I find linking to posts on other fora kinda weird. Similarly, I don't really like when people post fits that other people posted on other forums here, in style inspo or whatever, but maybe that's just me.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby bels » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 am

I think the filters do a good job of preventing cross talk, but it is a bit weird sometimes. I normally find it pretty funny but maybe if I was new I'd just feel oppressed.

I'm more interested in some threads having [] info than trimming back the swear filter.

I think the "say this one time and one time only" thread could really do with a subtitle.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:30 am

This is your forum but I just want you to know that it's become difficult to get into with the odd nomenclature and cencorship. A few weeks ago I wasn't around for like a week and when I got back I had no idea where the food thread was anymore or why everyone was talking about rapgenius. I seriously thought there might be a fashion element to rapgenius and didn't even question it until my own words changed.

Yeah, maybe I'm thick, but I can't be the only one. Showing friends the forum they are always confused and say it's too much when I explain how things work. I have to agree too - it took me a while to work out how things work and I feel like it's got even more difficult since.

Bela's idea seems like a good one. It annoys me more than making me smirk when my words are changed and I just end up typing out r-dit or r e d d i t or something. I don't think there's much need for it because there's already a common identity here. I think I told you the other night ben that I remember someone messaging me on reddit/mfa saying one of the mods keeps telling them to stop mentioning care-tags on there under threat of banning. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it's not a million miles away from censoring if not everyone is au fait with what's being censured.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 am

ramseames

Postby bels » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 am

Lets not talk about who 's threatening people on reddit. That's like... exactly the conversation the filter was created to prevent.

I think that to start with it made sense that we needed censorship to help us keep our identity, but at some point I think our identity should be strong enough that we don't need the protection.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:59 am

It's a bit dissapointing when r edit is censured but faggot isn't.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby odradek » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:22 am

i approve of high barriers to entry

odradek

Postby ramseames » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

thoughts on having location specific threads instead of just keeping everything under care meets?

ramseames

Postby deadkitty » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:45 am

Not a good idea. There's way too many locations and I don't want the care section cluttered with meet up threads. Maybe a subsection of care would be good, but that might even be overkill.

deadkitty

Postby ramseames » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:00 am

I was definitely thinking a subsection. Mostly because it'd be nice to have one to post Vancouver specific stuff. Don't see why that would be such a big deal.

ramseames

Postby can- » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 am

people can make any thread they want within reason, if people don't use it it'll just sink to the bottom no harm done.

with that said, I don't know that there are so many meetups that it would make anything easier or clearer. half the fun is seeing photos and hearing about meetups from other places, and if there were a dedicated Vancouver thread I probably wouldn't be very up to date on it.

dedicated city threads are a great idea if there are enough people to maintain them.

can-

Postby brlmski » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:08 am

is there a way to disable video embedding? I know you can do it for images but couldn't find an option for youtube. I browse on a slow computer sometimes and one of the video heavy threads grinds my browser to a halt.

brlmski

Postby ramseames » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:40 am

can we rename top of waywt to just waywt? existing name precludes having an actual top of waywt

ramseames

Postby hunnish » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am

I don't think we need an actual top of waywt

hunnish

Postby ramseames » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:47 am

Not right now but seems kinda pointless to have the regular thread be both a misnomer and prevent it in the future

ramseames

Postby hunnish » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 am

If there's only a chance that it could be an issue in the future, then I'd wait until the future to deal with it. I don't think the forum needs to be so structured that we can't have fun naming threads, even if it's more ambiguous. e.g

hunnish

Postby Stingray Sam » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 am

I accidentally gave ramseames positive rep and when ever i try to view the rep comments so that i can neg him i just get redirected to the top of the page. i have pretty terrible internet at my cabin so that may be a factor. i think it has happened to me before though at my home

Stingray Sam

Postby BobbyZamora » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 am

psa: please don't rep a post just because it's getting negged. a bad post is a bad post, and there's nothing wrong with a bad post being red.

if you must lighten that user's load go to their profile and rep the posts of theirs that are actually good :-)

just a suggestion :cool:

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby iamacyborg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Rep comments kinda bum me out, the forum would be much nicer if people actually posted and the rep system didn't have comments associated with it.

iamacyborg

PreviousNext

Return to Care