[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - All is Full of Love

All is Full of Love

Off topic

Re: what's love got to do got to do with it

Postby Syeknom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:52 pm

Yeah, race was an unknown issue to me growing up there. Everyone was white british except for the occasional family running a chinese or indian takeaway. Very interesting hearing everyone else's experiences though.

Syeknom

Postby smiles » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Bobbin for most interesting man 2014.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby charybdis » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:37 am

hooplah you definitely said a lot of what I feel about asian girl/white dude relationships

I mean, it's definitely weird since people tend to have such definite opinions about asian girls unlike white girls for instance. At the same time, a girl in the SLG I'm friend of house with is dating this white guy who is just known for exclusively dating asian girls, and they really have a good relationship, so I guess there's that. I'm not sure if I would be able to do that, although I think a line exists between "dates asian girls" and "any asian girl will do."

I think culture matters a lot more to me than race since I grew up Asian-American and while unlike a lot of people I know I don't really feel like there is a race I wouldn't date, I absolutely will not date a mainland chinese boy ever. Part of it is because I grew up with all my relatives telling me not to date a mainland boy (unless they're Shanghainese ofc) and the implosion of my cousin's marriage I guess. I'm not quite sure how to articulate it.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby ramseames » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:14 am

You dance with a girl, you kiss a girl, you grab her tightly, you do a shot with her, you dance some more, you agree to leave with her, you kiss her, and then right as the cab arrives she runs away with her fucking friends. arghghhhgbngghghgh what the fuck is your problem.... ghghghzhgzhhghugdhuh.

ramseames

Postby bels » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 am

Yeah but ram what race was she

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Triggerdisk » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm

nothing like a good old race hunt

Triggerdisk

Postby ramseames » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:38 pm

sorry guys, that should have gone in the drunk thread.

she was white bela.

ramseames

Postby charybdis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:54 pm

sometimes I wonder if I'm not a lonely neckbeard minus the beard

charybdis

Postby Syeknom » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 pm

Nothing wrong with being a lonely neckbeard

Unless you smell

Or are covered in food

And have greasy hair

And hate women / black people

And talk too much about bowel movements

And fucking girls

And can't function in the company of people not like you because you're better than everybody despite being unemployable and unlikeable

Sorry, I've been friends with a lot of these people.

Dwindles! Are you partner hunting or not so interested?

Syeknom

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm

My lady and I are trying out a partially-open thing at a party tonight, it should be interesting. We've flirted with the idea for years, so it should be interesting how it turns out.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby hunnish » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Always knew you two would become swingers.

hunnish

Postby charybdis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 pm

charybdis

Postby thomaspaine » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:08 am

thomaspaine

Postby germinal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:10 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby thomaspaine » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:53 am

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-t ... e-industry

I also read the above quote as "sweat shop" not "sweet shop", which makes it a little more sane.

thomaspaine

Postby can- » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:11 pm

it's like they're all on the internet

can-

Postby schiaparelli » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm

dwindles, i feel i definitely feel a bit uncomfortable with the thought of dating an asian dude who grew up in asia. mostly because the gender standards and cultural norms would throw me for a loop. my parents have kind of expressed the same sentiments…my mom in particular is a super career woman kind of person, and she says a lot of her friends (especially younger vietnamese women who moved to the US with their husbands) express a bit of resentment at the division of household labor and things. maybe a bit similar to your discomfort with mainlander chinese dudes?

i don't think you're a lonely neckbeard, i think there's just this awkward space if you're a slightly shy/standoffish/reserved asian girl where a lot of cool/reasonably polite/upstanding guys will be afraid to approach. i think the only solution is to strategically flirt with/hit on people first

or just you know ignore all that and STUDY

i feel like for a lot of parents but especially asian parents there's this weird event horizon where before your parents cross it they're like "don't talk to boys/girls you need to study!" and then after they cross the horizon all of a sudden they're calling you 10x a day going "WHERE ARE MY GRANDCHILDREN?!" can anyone whose parents have crossed said event horizon share their experiences?

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Spending all my time at university studying was kind of a bad decision on retrospect. It didn't help my career and it hindered everything else. But hey if you've nothing better to do then why not?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby thomaspaine » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:42 pm

thomaspaine

Postby rjbman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:31 pm

I was talking with a friend who lives abroad in the UK from Asia; from what he's told me I get the feeling that Asians tend to not do the strict 1v1 dating type stuff that is so prevalent in America and instead prefer to hang out in large groups even if definitively in a relationship. He's trying to court a girl but while she has been flirty and seemingly interested in texts she has turned him down on two separate date offers, in part because it would be the two of them alone.

It's quite interesting to think about; being raised fairly sheltered in the US I'm not used to alternative courting procedures from other countries.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby charybdis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:06 pm

My roommate's boyfriend is super insecure because she was the first girl he ever slept with and so he said that they should be in an open relationship so he could "catch up to her number" (which he thinks is seven or eight) but that in that time she couldn't sleep with anyone else. He currently goes to another university, but I wonder if it's a common thing to be insecure about?

charybdis

Postby starfox64 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:30 pm

how many people has she actually slept with?

my girlfriend in high school and i were each others first partners, but then my girlfriend in college had slept with i think seven guys before me. it was weird for me at first and i was afraid that i wasn't experienced enough, but i dunno, i got over it. i think in some ways there's always a weird neurosis about how you stack up to your partner's previous boyfriends/girlfriends/whatever (or at least i feel that way), but it's a matter of degree. it's something i was concerned about when i was 20, really not so much now (though i haven't dated anyone super seriously in a long time, so maybe it'd flare up again if i met someone i really liked). anyway, i think some degree of insecurity is normal if you really like the person, but wanting to fuck a bunch of random girls to get xp or something sounds really dumb. also if he is like a sophomore in college and has only slept with one girl it's unlikely that he's going to go out and slay a bunch of girls if they were in an open relationship, right?

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby ramseames » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Did she actually say yes to that? I can't even comprehend why anyone would consent to that or even stay in a relationship with someone who wants that

ramseames

Postby charybdis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 am

starfox more, I dunno exactly how many and I think it's irrelevant. For her part, my roommate actually said "he's too much of a pussy to actually go and hook up with another girl." But it's kind of funny to me because outwardly he's a pretty bro-y dude.

ramseams She was in a pretty awkward position since she still wanted to stay with him and she tried it out but they're basically broken up right now. One thing she said was that she initially went along with it because she assumed he would come to realize that it was a dumb idea.

charybdis

Postby Syeknom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:26 am

He sounds dreadfully immature.

It's not like it's an entirely uncommon thing to have some unwelcome thoughts about in the back of one's mind but making the leap to seriously proposing that you need to "catch up" is aggressively hurtful, self-centred and a nasty twist of logic. It also just sounds like it's probably a consequence of the long-distance part of things and that he just wants to fuck around.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:54 am

Spoken to two different girls lately who said that their last ex broke up wth them because they "Really loved them." and "thought they were great" but they'd just met them "too early" and haven't really "experienced life yet."

Both were going out with guys younger than them who were sort of dorky.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:57 am

dwindling i legit don't even know what to say to that story. feels like a weird thing to throw away trust and intimacy and closeness on (not saying open relationships don't have that, but opening a relationship for certain purposes can destroy that). also, it honestly sounds like an excuse to hit on other girls with no consequences. v. surprised she initially agreed to it and also that he did not detect any discomfort/realize midway through the ramifications of asking that

i have this worry right now that i am not good at being single. or i don't really know how. i feel like i always want someone to project affection and cuddliness towards and text little kaomoji in the mornings. a lot of friends have given me advice on trying to get comfortable with being single, finding myself, &c &c, but i don't really know how to go about that

the one thing i feel i don't do is ditch my friends/hang out with them less when i am in a relationship, so that's not something i need to repair. fingers crossed that'll never change

schiaparelli

Postby hooplah » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:28 pm

hooplah

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:34 pm

This is something my SO and I have discussed before, because we're both each other's firsts. We've dated other people, but haven't been single since early high school (we've been dating more than 4 years). The idea of "catching up" or "learning to be single" is bullshit. The only distinction that there needs to be between being in a relationship and being single is whether there's intent when you hit on people, and even then, I dislike the idea. The difference between hitting on people because it's fun and hitting on them because you're trying to get laid is the difference between conversation with a person and manipulation of a target. If you've got a relationship that allows open and honest communication and you trust each other, there's no need for games of catch-up.

schiaparelli I know what you mean about the affection. Everybody's got and everybody talks about their libido, a sexual appetite, but everybody's got an appetite for affection, whether it's giving, receiving, or both. I think this is why there are so many single people with pets; everybody's got love to give. And it's much harder to satisfy an appetite for affection. You can go out and get laid any time to satisfy your libido, but the desire for a deeper understanding of a person that allows you to derive that incredible joy and satisfaction just from making them smile a little is something that has to be built over time.

Also I'm calling it now hooplah is the sexual oligarchy.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby starfox64 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 pm

i don't think "catching up" necessarily means just having sex and being able to pull random girls though. dating someone who is way more or less experienced than you, sexually or just in terms of relationships, can be kind of weird and (sometimes) scary.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

PreviousNext

Return to Care