[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Photography thread

Photography thread

Off topic

Re: Photography thread

Postby Vox » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:59 pm

Some friends helped me travel to Mexico and Iceland this summer and being able to do that after years of extreme illness allowed me to tap into creative pursuits again so I've been trying to maintain that and my sense of small adventures fueling the spirit needed for bigger ones by walking as much as I can (my goal is always ten miles daily at least) and keeping my eyes open - the world is a beautiful place.

some more:

The city bus is my chariot.

IG: @capladpoet
Vox

Postby tweefwend » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 am

Went on a road trip this past summer with my grandfather (pacific north west). These are some of my favorite photos from the trip.

tweefwend

Postby tweefwend » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:06 pm

shot my first roll of 120 on my new Mamiya!

Really excited to start shooting film (finally)

@hexkeyset right now I'm having my local lab do developing and scanning. Hi-res dev & scanning runs me $16 per roll. I think an Epson V600 will be my next purchase so I can start scanning my own stuff

tweefwend

Postby jvckiel » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 am

haven't been taking photos all semester but today is really pretty in Boston so maybe I'll get to it

"Any time I see a man playing golf or tennis in his jacket, I know he and I could be friends."
jvckiel

Postby Benson » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Got a roll of film back. A lot of it didn't turn out but I don't mind because it's so much more challenging and rewarding than shooting digital. I'm thinking of picking up some Portra or trying this Canon Sure Shot Joy that my parents used to use when I was a kid.

Benson

Postby tweefwend » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:25 am

Here's a few from my 2nd and 3rd rolls of film. These are still lab scans but I'm pretty happen with them (smiling)

Locations: Fresno, San Francisco, and Yosemite CA

tweefwend

Postby sknss » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:21 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Sam » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:04 pm

Here are two photos I took recently.

In terms of digital vs analogue, i actually prefer digital as a workflow bc it's a lot quicker and you get to make mistakes bc you have as many goes as your SD card allows.

With film if you make a mistake then that's kind of it, very rarely will i ever shoot doubles as its a waste of money.

Really the answer is to somehow be able to afford to shoot film like it's digital lol.

pics shot on mamiya 7 + portra 400

Sam

Postby INNIT » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:34 pm

INNIT

Postby kickingthefly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:22 pm

literally all anyone can think to say about photography in 2019 is STILL camera lucida and sontag, just get on tiktok like normal teens ffs

kickingthefly

Postby INNIT » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:27 pm

camera lucida paved the way for understanding the preconscious affects of the image. it literally could not be more relevant. once again the world needs theorists to explain art to art people

edit: fred moten uses camera lucida to talk about the sonics of photography, for e.g.
https://acrowdgathers.files.wordpress.c ... motenf.pdf

INNIT

Postby kickingthefly » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:19 am

i meant those preconscious affects are not eternal and unshifting. since 1980 not just the entire way of making images but also the way they are circulated/disseminated has changed beyond recognition. just one example, the way he talks about the polish soldiers- a long time since i read but he says something like 'i know for certain this happened'- at this point it would be the exact opposite, no?
it might be 'relevant' as some vague starting point (as for fred) but honestly there is not one photography 'statement' i read that does not reference CL, mostly unthinking as some set of uber tenets - its just been turned into a bunch of idees recus

tldr: once again theoryteens fail to show an iota of common sense

kickingthefly

Postby INNIT » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:19 pm

it's true that camera lucida can come across a bit dated because of barthes' assertions that photographs grant us some kind of unmediated access to the referent. that said, medium specific arguments in general aren't popular in theory (because they're usually bad). the idea is that affect is in some way connected to the analogical, and most digital mediums have analog aspects despite being digital (where digital is understood as chopping up/rendering discrete and analog is understood as continuity, modulation, etc). the deleuzians i read would say that marclay's the clock, a painting by francis bacon, and a novel by burroughs would all have more in common than say, marclay's film and a film like, idk, some major blockbuster or something. barthe's punctum working on a preconscious level or on the level of sensation has been adapted to explore the sonics of photography, the duration (in a bergsonian sense) of photography, etc. nothing wrong with using a brilliant work as a starting point unless you're suggesting that we just come up with completely novel ideas randomly; moten's piece demonstrates how barthes can help us in the present. most people drop his stuff about the referent and intent anyways.

also every single millennial is a "photographer" and it's not like theyre reading barthes lol

tldr nothing wrong with ol'roland

INNIT

Postby tweefwend » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 am

Shot my friend Sage on a Mamiya RZ67. The 110 lens is just perfect. Really great experience shooting with this camera, I'm looking forward to using it more.

I also made a site for my photo stuff:

tweefwend

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:33 pm

new ones from me

Sam

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 am

my dad gave me his old nikon n50 and i'm excited to teach myself through trial and error. shot a preliminary roll to test the focus and flash and the other basics and i can't wait to learn how to shoot on full manual, with different lighting conditions/techniques, editing etc.

architecture

friends

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby 106-2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:47 am

some bits from amsterdam before the entire world shut down

also awful quality for some reason??

106-2

Postby tweefwend » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 pm

Some images I've made during quarantine:

tweefwend

Postby windowflowers » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:12 pm

shots from my [never finished] photography final project

windowflowers

Postby Benson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:32 am

Hawaii in February. I'm pretty stoked on these though they're a bit more grainy than expected. Not sure if it's the expired film or if I underexposed everything.

Benson

Postby Sam » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:51 pm

got a digital camera, really enjoying it so far.

detail from the first

Sam

Postby tweefwend » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm

some recent images of mine.. I've really enjoyed shooting recently

tweefwend

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm

some new stuff

Image Image

Sam