[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Photography thread

Photography thread

Off topic

Re: Photography thread

Postby bhajz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Not really into photography or anything (I'd like to learn more), but I took this picture on my trip and i liked it.

bhajz

Postby JtotheWhat » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 pm

I've always loved photography but never taken the time to get into it..This last year I found a great deal on an older Canon (450D) while browsing craigslist and took the plunge...still not happy with my photo's but I am definitely noticing a difference from when I started...these are some I took in Seoul before I came back to Canada.

Would love any tips!

JtotheWhat

Postby zayg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm

tfw 90% of the shots i took floating down the river with a disposable ended up unusable due to something smudging

zayg

Postby zayg » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

saco river

zayg

Postby rublev » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

rublev
Political Editor

Postby eyealt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 am

Image <-- Dark veins of earth | Light veins of earth --> Image

eyealt

Postby eyealt » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:06 pm

My dog and I.

eyealt

Postby jjetpants » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage

some iphone 5 vsco edits
trying to save up for a ricoh gr i think

jjetpants

Postby zayg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 pm

more stuff from 2011 that i scanned + some other random new pics

zayg

Postby alby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Can I get some critique on some senior pictures I took? This is after editing. I had her pick the best of 66 good ones of 300 total taken.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119509392@N02/

I feel like I didn't edit them enough? Idunno. Some of them look exactly how I envisioned them when I took the picture, but others do not. CnC pls

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby exprof » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Ah! She looks super happy/comfortable with you so I think that already goes a long way :D I also think it's great that you shot at golden hour, definitely some of the most magical light~

Some jorts:
- I do think with most portraits high DOF/nice bokeh is desirable. Something about a softer background helps you focus on the subject. I think in a few pictures (esp the ones at the marina) have backgrounds that are a little too busy.
- I think it's also important to make sure light is hitting a subject's face (either through flash/natural light/reflector) so you don't get unflattering shadows

As for general post-editing tips (ymmv, I work in camera raw):
- Add a tiny (read super tiny) orange tint (Split toning > highlights > hue > orange > ~5) to help boost skin tones
- Add a tiny vignette (-5 ish)
- Fill light can be useful to correct for when shadows are sort of dark on someone's face

exprof

Postby alby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey thanks for the reply I appreciate it!
She is my best friends girlfriend, so we get along pretty well and it made for a good shoot. I have another senior pic shoot with another one of my friends coming up soon (this time a boy), so I will put those tips into effect.

I got a cheap manual flash on amazon (Neewer TT560) for like, 20$. It had good reviews and the manual option for flash strength, and I had amazon credit, so I thought why not. I also got a diffuser box for it. The flash showed up the day of the shoot so I didn't get much practice with it and ended up not using it at all. Any tips in terms of physical camera and flash settings to use it as a fill flash? I breezed through some info on the strobist, but it didn't really talk about camera settings much. Thanks again for your input :]

alby

Postby nothobo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Badbadnotgood for those asking

nothobo

Postby eyealt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:41 am

London.

eyealt

Postby RycePooding » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Parents gave me their old DSLR (Canon Rebel) and I'd love to start using it, but have virtually zero photography experience (wait, does Instagram count?).

Anyone know of good simple beginners resources?

Love you.

RycePooding

Postby kyung » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 pm

digital rev is alright, some of their videos are really groan worthy and buzzfeedy (50 quick photog tips!) but they were my intro into learning about photography and they know what they're doing

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby zayg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:27 pm

digital rev videos from 2010/11 are worth watching

zayg

Postby zayg » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 pm

Two random shots and the rest from Montreal.

zayg

Postby deadkitty » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:02 am

stuff i've taken for photography class

deadkitty

Postby Blastoise » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Looking through some old pictures from when I was really into film photography. May as well share. I have around 13 or so rolls from the past couple of years that need to be developed.

First is digital, rest are film.

Some of my favorites:

I've been wanting to get back into it but haven't gotten around to it.

Blastoise

Postby eyealt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am

London is brilliant. Here's automotive content.

I will update with more cars and non-automotive work in the coming weeks. Enjoy.

eyealt

Postby deadkitty » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:30 am

deadkitty

Postby alby » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

Anyone want to talk lenses a bit? I'm looking to pick up a wider lens I think, and the obvious choice is the tokina 11-16 2.8, but at ~600$, it might be out of my budget. I don't know if I want to save for it, or drop 250$ on a rokinon fisheye 8mm 3.5, which looks like tooonnsss of fun. It might not have as much merit in low light as the tokina but 180 fov is so cool.

what about you guys? what lens do you lust for? whats your fav?

alby

Postby teck » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:15 am

so im going on a trip to vietnam and i thought 'ok this is a good time to buy a new camera'. i had a t1i for a long time then sold it and some cheap lenses to build up for a body upgrade. i've been looking at a bunch of dslrs and then it dawned on me:

im really not that into photography.

ok thats not true i love photography but stacking it compared to other things im not really as much an auteur as a fancy myself. it was a bit sobering sort of realizing you're not this sensitive artist as you thought you were.

then again i also think that there can be amazing photography done out of your little mobile phone.

i figure this is the one photography board in the world that would understand that i would consider buying fancy sneakers over a new 35mm lens

teck

Postby zayg » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:36 am

perhaps you like photography but don't really care for gear? I'm in that boat to be honest. I'd much rather have some cool shoes to beat up on a photography adventure than more gear which I'll just break.

Might I suggest a cheap 35mm like a K1000 for the trip?

zayg

Postby teck » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:44 am

definitely true. the whole gadget chase really exhausts me. to be sure i still might end up buying a used 7D and then just saying "ok f it this is the camera ill have for the next 5-10 years".

do you got recs tho for a point and shoot, maybe $300? i like film a lot but i really want the reliability of digital just because this trip will be really special for personal reasons and i want to be sure to have a firm record.

teck

Postby zayg » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:59 am

Canon S series is always the answer for point and shoot.

zayg

Postby rublev » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm

iphone photos

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

rublev
Political Editor

Postby alby » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

buying a pentax k1000 this weekend with two lenses for 30$!! what a steal.

i know nothing about film types though?! I think I want to start in black and white? maybe not? halp

alby

Postby zayg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:44 am

my mom gave me her k1000

love that camera, but i dropped it and broke the 50 2.0 UGH

i haven't touched my camera since school started :sad:

zayg

PreviousNext

Return to Care