[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Photography thread

Photography thread

Off topic

Re: Photography thread

Postby zevolution » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:50 pm

@yungcanoeist those are quaint as hell. Were they taken with your phone? esp. like the one with the moped on it.

I've been playing around w/ focusing on geometric form but i'm kind of finding myself shooting photos w/o subjects and that's a problem I need to solve going forward, if I want to stop taking compositionally OK but boring pics.

Thinking about putting the first two into diptych form but they're alright on their own.

zevolution

Postby YoungCanoeist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am

@zevolution
!!!! those are so beautiful!! i'm so into the compositions of 2, 3, and 4 especially. i feel you - i used to shoot primarily geometric composition (see below) but started doing portraits and otherwise incorporating people about two years ago after feeling like i wanted more a more emotive quality in my photos. still, abstractions from reality are dope and i continue to shoot them. check out the miksang approach, especially if you're into buddhist meditation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqGNb5MSOqA

are your shots film? i shot film again for the first time in a year recently but they look so bad -- either the film or the developer need to be replaced. i might post a couple good ones soon.

yeah, the ones from china are just from an iphone 5.

these are older, geometric film shots though.

:woop:

YoungCanoeist

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 pm

couple of shots i finally got developed recently

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby zevolution » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:40 pm

zevolution

Postby wrong » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:26 am

i picked up a k1000 this spring and decided to shoot some things as a first experience with a camera
here are some of my favorites (smiling)
hi new england

wrong

Postby sknss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

Really liked this surrealist series of by .

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby talkin2snakes » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:56 am

interesting, to me that just looks like a random photoshop cut and paste
edit: sorry that perhaps sounds a bit high-handed and dismissive, but it really seems sort of pointless to me on both conceptual and pure form level? if it was painted it might look like one of those 70s sci fi novel covers, which could be likeable in its own way. even if he cut it up with scissors and juxtaposed it might have a certain interest. but the ubiquity and frictionlessness of photoshop take away even that

talkin2snakes

Postby tweefwend » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

few photos taken this summer:

Capitola Beach

Classroom resource room, Fresno

Downtown Fresno

Montaña de Oro

San Luis Obispo

tweefwend

Postby talkin2snakes » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:02 pm

huh, so david quentin is actually throwing rocks in front of the camera, using very fast film. guess that gives it a sort of... lo-fi charm

talkin2snakes

Postby talkin2snakes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:53 am

what are teen thoughts on andreas gursky?

talkin2snakes

Postby talkin2snakes » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:17 am

sam gets invite to the opening, bela has to queue in the rain with the other provincials for trying to be 'cool'

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/blog/ ... rd-gallery

talkin2snakes

Postby tweefwend » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 pm

end of summer.

I've been taking pics all summer with the end goal to print them in a book. I'm thinking about going with Artifact Uprising, but it seems like its gonna be p expensive to make multiple copies.
Any other recommendations for photo books?

tweefwend

Postby rjbman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Don't really do a ton of photos, but here's a couple that I liked

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:30 pm

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby 106-2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:25 am

Got back 7 rolls of film spanning the whole summer and back into the summer before (didn't really do much colour stuff during the last year at 6th form bc of access to a b&w darkroom). Finally got the opportunity to scan some of them so thought I'd share them B^)

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

long post!

it's sort of a laziness thing for me - I got bored on digital how you have to manually adjust ISO, white balance etc. in order to get the photo you want whereas with film that's not so much a consideration - the ISO is mostly dependent on film, as is the colour cast. The grain also really appeals to me, but that's mostly an added bonus, not primarily why

106-2

Postby Spaceman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I got to see my friend this weekend and I was able to get some cool shots in. As always I appreciate criticism, I don't often shoot portraits.

Let's get weird
Spaceman

Postby tweefwend » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:20 pm

@oaked using a VSCO Lightroom preset I modified, a scan of Kodak Portrait 160. Made it really flat

Also thanks for opinions but I'm not gonna do a zine

tweefwend

Postby chazwiz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 pm

My favourite shots from a recent Barcelona trip

*edit* fixed the colours and added one i missed. originals in the spoiler

Last edited by chazwiz on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chazwiz

Postby swampblood » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Some film from Nov-Dec

swampblood

Postby chazwiz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm

first roll on my new mamiya rb67

chazwiz

Postby tweefwend » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:57 am

random things

tweefwend

Postby chazwiz » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 pm

went shooting in london with @sam

chazwiz

Postby windowflowers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 pm

trying to transfer into photography, n working on my portfolio. here's some stuff I'm considering

shot a lot more b&w in the past few months than I had previously, I like it a lot

windowflowers

Postby tweefwend » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:10 am

recently got a Canon 6D, enjoying the full frame after 6 years of crop sensor

tweefwend

Postby kickingthefly » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:07 am

anyone go to the gursky? i thought it was ok. tillmans too, meh (i quite liked the granularity of the lobster). i still don't really see the point of photography-as-art 99% of the time tbh.

kickingthefly

Postby kickingthefly » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:22 am

i think so much comes down to whether you buy into the whole photography schtick and i'm (perhaps too?) resistant. someone like alec soth's work- based on the little i know- appears to rely on easy aestheticism, cliched ideas of kerouac-ian americana, dumb sense of 'authentic' etc. to say nothing of the whole queasy subject-object relation, economic inequality/exploitation thing. that seems more or less the case for most of those old magnum guys tho?

kickingthefly

Postby HexKeySet » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm

HexKeySet

Postby tweefwend » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 pm

went with friends to SF yesterday

tweefwend

Postby oucho » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:34 am

I went to the Gursky too and also found it ok. I liked his earlier stuff the most as it actually did feel quite ambiguous and I guess mysterious and the later stuff not so much. Some of the later stuff felt a little bit gimmicky to me, I guess it's interesting how photomanipulation just creates images that look different from photography even if its subtle. When I think of photomanips I think of adverts or gimmicky manips where there's a woman, but her hair is made of leaves now. And actually I feel like a lot of the ways Gursky manipped his photos was also pretty gimmicky, even stuff like the reconstruction of the tokyo cityscape where some buildings are blurred and others are focused felt gimmicky. I guess some of the images felt like they had a complex and interesting thing going on and some really really didn't ().

oucho

Postby kickingthefly » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm

pretty much all photography is gimmick/schtick tbh, its only meaningful/ culturally relevant form at this point is the teen selfie.

kickingthefly

PreviousNext

Return to Care