[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Photography thread

Photography thread

Off topic

Re: Photography thread

Postby costanza » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am

costanza

Postby bels » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:06 am

Photography never managed to establish an aesthetic standard before it was swarmed by adverts, photojournalism, holiday pics etc. Most 'art photos' are:

Visual punchline - Something with some kind of thematic contradiction or bait and switch
Uncommon sight - This is mostly just photojournalism and only of interest because it's a photo. (a photograph of god would be amazing, a drawing of god is pointless)
Appeal to authenticity - black and white or at this point medium/large format film photography or even just digital that's been edited to look as such. Looks 'good' because it appeals to baked in value systems of old (read expensive) things having superior aesthetics. Would have no appeal if it was taken with a bad camera (unless that camera was wielded by someone with enough social capital that they could claim the bad camera had some level of authenticity that was important). Basically audiophile art (it's just so much warmer looking/sounding)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Minkhoi » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 am

took some pics in Barcelona (smiling)

Ph
Minkhoi

Postby oucho » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:53 am

has anyone here heard of karl martin holzhäuser? I came across him ages ago on the internet on a blog that doesn't exist anymore http://www.souslesetoilesgallery.net/ar ... w=slider#4

oucho

Postby kremvax » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:03 am

i just got some film back today and am really excited about the photos that came out!! i've included some pictures from the winter here too. the olympus stylus epic i got from a thrift shop broke and i replaced it with another but i wish i got a xa or xa2 instead sometimes. it is just a lot of pictures of myself and friends

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

&
kremvax

Postby kickingthefly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 am

i have to agree with fellow teen above who asks bela what an aesthetic standard even is. and i actually think photography did have its moment, kind of based around barthes' camera lucida, all photographs being about death etc. unfortunately it just crystallised around that, nobody took the form forward- even today when i talk to 'big' photographers they just go on about the same shit, and look blank when i point out they're relying on idees recus that dont even make sense any more (for example the 'documentary' power that barthes talks about has gone entirely and now resides in new technological forms, like facebook live).
its not even like im entirely against the nostalgic aspect of loving kodak film when used by a good artist (tacita dean for example)
but at this point as ive said photography seems almost 100% correlated with a global leisured class of people who can afford a good camera and the time/money to find picturesque locations, look at all these laughable 'taste' signifiers (the new 'laughing indian slum children' is fucking brushed concrete staircases, brutalist buildings, non-lieux etc.).

kickingthefly

Postby bels » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 am

The aesthetic standards were defined by the tastes rich people who commissioned art/were patrons/owned museums/were collectors. Photography from the very start lacked of any kind of structure to dwell within/rebel against except for 'being accepted by the establishment' which they managed to do once colour film was invented (meant you could take black and white photos and they would be considered art)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby INNIT » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:34 pm

INNIT

Postby bels » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:34 am

Think I'm just arguing for the sake of it now, but surely novels were pretty elitist for a good amount of time (most people were illiterate etc), same with film (very difficult to get hold of video equipment for cheap until quite recently)

Theatre probably the odd one out. But maybe I can try and formulate an argument to take down the medium of theatre if I'm already trying to take down photography.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby INNIT » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:28 am

well, novels developed simultaneously with capitalism and the printing press in the 19th century; they were very much a "popular" genre contrasted with poetry and, at this point, theater. 18th century novels were like, a different beast, and vary drastically across continental Europe in terms of acceptability (many 18th century works read like weird pomo novels without the chapters and were published anonymously).

but anyways, what we think of as aesthetic standards, at least the way you describe them, are usually applied retroactively by some sort of bourgeoisie class rather than being emergent with the form itself. we might say modernism rebelled against 19 century realism but it's not really until the "modern period" that the latter works are being valorized in the first place. that's the point that i was trying to make. i think that most emergent forms start off rather rhizomatic and that it takes time for elite classes to retrospectively decide "what's good," codify/striate things, etc. this process obviously speeds up in the ages of mechanical and digital reproduction.

(this is my weird defence of photography, a medium that i know nothing about)

INNIT

Postby oucho » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:11 pm

I think the more pressing topic is how can we (care-tags) wrest power from the elites and finally couple our bourgeois userbase with true aesthetic influence.

oucho

Postby bels » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:51 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby INNIT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 pm

i guess that (and i'll let this return to being a thread about pictures after, i promise!) i'm suspect of how much power we willingly forfeit to "elites" when we say that a medium is shit because the sovereign, the bourgeois, the 1%, w/e, haven't spent money to territorialize it, or no longer have that opportunity because the form is too dynamic. the development of photography (again, a medium that i know nothing about) is also coextensive with the development of digital technology, and in the digital age emerging forms are bound to be rhizomatic, and i'm not sure if this is a bad thing. a little structure is always good, mind you, but too much and we end up with 19th century realist novels.

INNIT

Postby radicalbusiness » Wed May 16, 2018 6:59 pm

Shot [my first!] roll of expired color film on my Olympus XA while I was living in Nepal this winter - love how it turned out, except my finger kept slipping into the shot argghh

few more

radicalbusiness

Postby tweefwend » Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 am

picked up a Fuji x100s for a good price today

took it out downtown, here's some of my favorites:

its wayyy more fun shooting street style stuff with a small camera. The x100's leaf shutter is silent, making it so much easier to work with. Excited to shoot more with it. I've also been really into 6 x 7 crops recently

tweefwend

Postby ellascottgm » Thu May 17, 2018 2:36 am

Oh! This camera was a good purchase. So beautìul

ellascottgm

Postby 106-2 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:51 am

some stuff from Berlin a couple months back. really been in a rut with my photography but fairly happy with these

106-2

Postby soko » Thu May 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Don’t know anything about photography in any meaningful way, but Interested in seeing if/when photography takes on the purposefully poorly-composed-all-things-in-life-given-equal-weight approach of autofiction in literature a la Shiela Heti or Karl Ove. What’s the photography equivalent of a bad prose stylist? If someone could link me?

*edit:

Interested in any kind of photography that doesn’t really do anything, anti-nostalgia, anti-romantic images.

soko

Postby swampblood » Sun May 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Film from the past couple months, I picked up a used Olympus Trip 35mm that I've been having a ton of fun with.

swampblood

Postby kickingthefly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:40 am

kickingthefly

Postby kickingthefly » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 pm

kickingthefly

Postby bleeker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:36 pm

some touristy dips from Copenhagen

Image Image

bleeker

Postby surfdude69 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:21 am

This was from about a year ago in my last uni project where I was asked to choose a stop on the Merseyrail train map and make something based on it. I ended up choosing a town on the coast, Bootle, and documenting the last gasps of its drying up industry since the docklands are seeing less and less work available and other areas of Liverpool experience serious gentrification. Bootle currently has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the UK. I made three books from the photos I took, and were printed and bound in a printers based in Bootle.

surfdude69

Postby swampblood » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:23 am

Some polaroids from a day trip to Baltimore.

swampblood

Postby zevolution » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Been doing some scanning lately which is photography of a sort, I think

zevolution

Postby zevolution » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:14 pm

zevolution

Postby Sam » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:37 pm

some pics from a new project im working on atm - guess the theme

Sam

Postby Sam » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:53 pm

had a go at fashion photography on the weekend, quite pleased with the results

Sam

Postby Benson » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Benson

Postby tweefwend » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:14 am

1500 mile Spring break road/camping trip: Lancaster -> Death Valley -> Yosemite -> Fresno

here are some of my favorites from the trip, feedback is welcome : )

tweefwend

PreviousNext

Return to Care