[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Hangout/podcast: Which V-Neck Cardigan Should I Wear Today

Hangout/podcast: Which V-Neck Cardigan Should I Wear Today

Off topic

Re: Hangout/podcast

Postby teck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:16 am

im getting very excited about this and just wanted to get my thoughts out. i agree with a lot of the stuff said here about description and stuff, and i think having segments in the podcast will help organize that. so for example a typical episode may include:

1) an introduction "hello welcome to the Care show!" etc
2) an overall "fashion news" segment, discussing the latest preme drop, fashion show, or whatever. maybe even have a talk about things goin on in different boards. sufu/mf/mfa/fa are becoming mini cultures and it would be cool to talk about the things that are happening, as long as we steer clear of witchhunts
3) a guest comes on where we finally discuss the big topic of the podcast, whether its broad or specific. talking to a guest will allow us to talk about 'personal style' and philosophy without having to hear the same comments and perspectives over and over. we can also play "games" with the guest, again so that the show has rhythm.
4) perhaps another broader segment about culture, or something. i think its important to have discussions that, to STAR's point, reach beyond clothes.

i think we also have to assume a bit of knowledge on our listener's part. i guess this goes to 'who is our target' but a podcast about movies doesn't have to talk about movie fundamentals every single time, it has to assume some basic knowledge about fashion in order to move forward.

teck

Postby charybdis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:56 am

The thing I like best about this board is that it does talk about designers in an accessible way.

Podcasts aren't very visual so I volunteer to compile a post or something with all the images you guys talk about/links to articles/quotes etc so people can look at things while you talk.

Last edited by charybdis on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby starfox64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 am

so is there going to be a regular host/hosts or is it changing regularly? it would also be best to keep the number of people talking to a minimum, since having like five people talking at once gets pretty confusing.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby teck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:23 pm

as UNWASHED said, we should prob just get people on board, see who clicks, who has time. you're right tho we'll need to eventually shake it out to just having a few regulars and then guests

teck

Postby can- » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 pm

Welcome to the Care show!

can-

Postby starfox64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:28 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby teck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 pm

So who is in? When should we try to record? What are people's thoughts on Episode One content?

teck

Postby bels » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

I think we should all pile on skype this evening just to iron out basic technical difficulties / prove that starfox sounds like a homosexual.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby teck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:44 pm

ok so im in NYC. when/where would people be able to discuss? how does this work over skype?

teck

Postby rjbman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:01 pm

I don't have a lot of fashion know-all but I'd be interested helping out with the technical shit. I'm pretty much free from 6PM EST to about 10 or so.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby charybdis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:47 pm

What time and who's evening? I'm on the east coast and class ends at 9 for me and I'll be busy from midnight until two (crossing my fingers that we'll finish by two).

Might be easier to organize to use tinychat or Gtalk instead of skype?

charybdis

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:07 pm

How about 10 PM EST?

Apparently Gtalk doesn't exist anymore, dropped by Google in favor of Google+ hangouts. I know how to use Skype, but I'm down for the other two, whichever's easiest.

Are we trying to do video chat or just voice chat? I don't know if I'm comfortable yet with you all seeing my mannerisms.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby teck » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:11 pm

how are others' availability?

teck

Postby charybdis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:15 pm

^

IDGAF if you know what I look like, but there's flexibility with both a google hangout and and tinychat so you can do voice only. I think tinychat would be more anonymous since it's not tied with a google profile and we can just kick anyone who doesn't identify themselves.

charybdis

Postby odradek » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:56 pm

odradek

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:34 pm

Crap. I'm unavailable.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby rjbman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:27 pm

@UnwashedMolasses did soundflower end up working?

rjbman

Postby charybdis » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Re: scheduling

I made a doodle http://doodle.com/wqq73n28ffr6nsbx#table

Sorry if it's kind of messy. I basically did from 12pm eastern time to 4am eastern time the next day just to give an idea of people's schedules. I plan to make poor choices on either Friday or Saturday night (and study the other night), but I'm mostly available anytime.

charybdis

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Unfortunately Sunflower didn't want to install, so that avenue's closed. I got Piezo up and running, but while it could record from Google Chrome, it can't record TinyChat. I'd guess it has something to do with the way TinyChat hosts their service, but I know too little about computers to be making claims. As is, I can't record from TinyChat. It recorded Skype no problem, though. The only possible hiccup is that it records my input (microphone) and the output (Skype call) on two separate channels. I can edit the audio in Logic so that they play at equivalent levels, but the sound quality on my vocals might be a bit better than those on the rest of the Skype call. If that's not a problem, I'm ready to record whenever.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby rjbman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

As I mentioned I can also try hooking the audio output back into the microphone jack as input, which while a bit odd might work.

rjbman

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm sure we'll be able to figure something out. I think we should plan the first session to just be a trial run, talk about some things but not with the intent of broadcasting them. We can brainstorm some topics then.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby deadkitty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:28 pm

remember to combine piezo recording into a mono track. otherwise your voice will come out one side of headphones and other peoples will come out the other

deadkitty

Postby teck » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:18 am

glad everyone could get on the call. im not sure if tinychat will be the best platform, but then again its a sure way to conserve anonymity.

As far as moving forward, are people available this weekend for a test run? This won''t be a published post, we'll just practice. We'll need one engineer/producer, and probably 2-3 hosts/speakers. I'll draft up an agenda. Since this is a test, we'll keep it relatively short (say, 10-15 minutes max)

i want as many people involved as possible, so maybe we'll do two tests, or we'll do two tests simultaneously, with two podcasts being made at once from separate groups? just throwing out ideas because organizationally we're still pretty flat.

weekend? say afternoon? we'll try to keep this record brief for now.

teck

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:23 am

I can't do this weekend I'm afraid but I'm sure you'll all be wonderful.

Notes from podcasts I've been in on before:

-Have a host. Turn taking is difficult when there's no heirachy. If clips are to be played it should be the job of the host alone to do it and they should be emailed/sent off before the show.
-No in jokes.
-No talking in 'reddit names'. This is so Jarring. "applesauce_gin32 suggested blah blah ugh"
-Get some intro music. No idea why this makes such a huge difference, but it does.
-Don't start sentences with 'So'. Really hard to break this habit if you're in it.

Good luck! I'd love to hear a recording.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby hooplah » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:54 pm

my 10th grade english teacher banned several words from our oral presentation vernacular

"so like totally dude man yeah"

i still say it under my breath sometimes to remind myself lol

hooplah

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:57 pm

I can handle the production side. I can also easily add on intro/outro music. Any specific genre? Do we need to worry about copyrights? I can lay down some basic home-recorded instrumental jazz quickly if we want to avoid copyright issues.

Best time for me is this afternoon/evening (10/17). My girlfriend's coming to visit, and I'll likely be at parties all weekend, so I won't be too available. Might be able to squeeze in some time in the afternoon though.

I don't particularly care about anonymity, especially if we're using our real names. I figure as we introduce people we can have them give their username as a reference and then their given name, and use that for the rest of the podcast. (I'll probably have to write them down, I'm terrible with names. Skype seems easiest, and from the recording side is absolutely the least complicated. As a heads up though, I'm currently limited to 10 minutes of recording. If we want more, I can just buy the whole program. It's only $15, so it's not a big investment.

I'd be willing to host if you need hosts. If not, I could guest or just take care of the production aspects. Should we decide hosts beforehand? I'd definitely be down for teck being a host as you look like you're pretty enthusiastic about the process (which is awesome) and you're one of the older members. Your work experience would also likely be useful for this.

I figure we'll need some form of introduction to the forum. Should this be written by ben or Germ? Or just a quick "Welcome to the Care Show"?

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Why is it being called The Care Show and not Care Tags? Care Tags is a much smarter name as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't drop the 'tags' if you guys are going to cover internet fashion!

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 pm

I was referring to ben's post above. Would the podcast be called "The Care Tags Podcast"? Or just "Care Tags"?

UnwashedMolasses

Postby rjbman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:04 pm

If no one else can make it today, I can try out connecting the audio out back into the computer as the microphone in over the weekend.

Was this planning on being distributed beyond caretags?

rjbman

Postby ramdomthought » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:12 pm

if we say what day we want to do this i've got a ton of production gear from back in my hs nerd days that i could play with and record with as well. I've got some exp and should probably step up a little. give me a day and time and if i can be there i'll be there

ramdomthought

PreviousNext

Return to Care