[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Musicians' thread

Musicians' thread

Off topic

Re: Musicians' thread

Postby agvs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:06 pm

agvs

Postby sparkyoriental » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:25 pm

can see where you're coming from, but there is a "right" and a "wrong" way of singing. What you're talking about is more style, not singing. They are linked, but technique is the basis for everything. Even blues and rock singers need to know how to breathe correctly. You're right, perfect technique isn't required to sing, but knowing the basics will help tremendously. If money is the concern, I wouldn't try to learn in a very haphazard way by yourself. Focus on learning the foundations, that's what's the most important and will help you prolong your singing life.

I would completely disagree with your last point...your voice is free, but it's also necessary for daily life. If I needed to pay some extra money to protect it, I think it's worth it. Vocal cord nodules are not fun. Unlike guitar lessons or whatever, voice lessons are worth the extra money or investment imo because you can seriously damage your body with bad technique.

sparkyoriental

Postby agvs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. Lessons, instruction, learning technique would be great for starting out with any new thing. I guess the gist of what I'm saying is that just because there is a risk that you can damage your voice it doesn't mean you will definitely damage your voice. It's up to the individual to decide if that risk is worth it or not. Think about how many great singers you'd never get to hear if nobody sang unless they had a vocal coach. So yes, I agree vocal lessons would be a great investment but I guess we'll just agree to disagree that you shouldn't start until you have a vocal coach or lessons. I think we're just approaching it from two different worlds.

agvs

Postby sparkyoriental » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:48 pm

- yeah, I think you might be right about the different worlds part. I study opera at a very traditional university so that's probably why I'm stressing technique, but I do stand by my previous comments and I do believe strongly in the importance of singing in a healthy way.

- I think agvs gives some great advice. Singing is a wonderful hobby and can bring a lot of joy to life. It's up to you to decide how you want to approach beginning, and I think agvs and I have covered some of the things you might want to consider.

sparkyoriental

Postby deadkitty » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 am

deadkitty

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:18 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby agvs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:23 pm

A new song. Feels really good to play again after not doing it for a couple of years. Very happy with chord changes and melody on this one. Still trying to build my voice back up after an extended hiatus from singing.

agvs

Postby SteevMike » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 pm

i can almost play a john fahey song

SteevMike

Postby sunblam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:06 pm

This is just a little cover draft (both in harmonies and production quality) I've been working on. It's not very coolkid but I like it(?).

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby thatbiglake » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:24 am

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby Blastoise » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:34 am

Oh, didn't even see this thread. I'm studying music composition in school. I'm hoping to write for video games and maybe movies, but I'm of course interested in writing stuff for myself too. I play piano, drums, bass, guitar, ukulele, and I sing in choir. Currently learning the basics of viola, violin, cello, and upright bass for a class if that counts for anything. Most of my writing is done on piano. I try to write on guitar every once in a while, and it either turns out folk or shoegaze (pretty into pedals too). I'm not much of a performer at all, but I'd like to think that I could be.

Here's my SoundCloud profile with a bunch of really poorly recorded fragments of things: https://soundcloud.com/thrash-hologram

Blastoise

Postby insted » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:17 pm

i've played guitar for almost 6 years now, and i've been in and out of different styles

below is a demo some guys i had just met and i recorded in a day (ex hardcore band). drummer ended up moving out of state, and we all stopped seeing each other. it's so bad but i love it

traditionally i like to play techy metal - haven't been as active lately unfortunately. still playing on and off, i'll work an hour or two hour practice session in once a week or so now to make sure i retain muscle memory. still aspire to be in a heavy ass tech death band

insted

Postby vgtbls » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 pm

I'm a producer! Learned cello and euphonium but I don't own either. Just made this:

vgtbls

Postby Bootz_Rex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:25 pm

Here is my band's ep. If you're into that noise rock kinda thing.

http://superheater1.bandcamp.com/album/ ... sticky-e-p

Bootz_Rex

Postby vgtbls » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:12 pm

New traxxx guys

vgtbls

Postby soveryspecial » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

first EP of my band here:

https://holygirl.bandcamp.com/

Self-produced and all that. Take a listen if you like lo-fi dreamy shoegaze/goth type stuff.

soveryspecial

Postby deadkitty » Thu May 08, 2014 5:30 pm

I hate patching synths

deadkitty

Postby nick » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am

my friend is making a 'twinkle-emo' band which I'll be playing bass in, but to help write things I went and got my guitar fixed and tuned it to F-A-C-G-C-E - sounds so good, though it seems like everything i play w/ that tuning sounds from that genre.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby thatbiglake » Sun May 25, 2014 8:46 pm

nn

Last edited by thatbiglake on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
thatbiglake

Postby WikiZuHeltzer » Tue May 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey guys, I sing in a band. This is the fullest recording we've got, well the only full band one:

Velvet Cloud - Zowies Stranded Men

Its not a great recording (its about a year old now, we'd been together for about 3months at this point) and we're writing more stuff every day (smiling) hope you like it.

WikiZuHeltzer

Postby trasparenti » Tue May 27, 2014 6:30 pm

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby fountainstairs » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:53 am

Gretsch Tim Armstrong G5191MS

Epiphone John Lennon EJ-160E

fountainstairs

Postby vgtbls » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Made an Amy Winehouse Remix.

vgtbls

Postby stappard_ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:42 pm

- the kick and bass sounds are great and interact nicely, but the hi hat is too high in the mix. strip it back a bit and i think there's a sexy techno track in there, but the delivery of the vocals is too fast to really fit with the music well

(in my opinion, of course)

stappard_

Postby vgtbls » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah this is what I get for mixing on earbuds... Vocals are pushed from 121 to 127 bpm, I didn't think it was too drastic but maybe it is. Thanks for the feedback!

vgtbls

Postby agvs » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:04 am

New song. Hoping to get another album done by the end of Oct. Most of the recording is finished. I just need to finish a bunch of electric guitar and drum parts.

agvs

Postby Bootz_Rex » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm

The recording studio wanted a demo before we went in and spent a bunch of money so we set up a mic in the cellar and got a few tunes. Some of you guys liked it last time I posted our music so I thought you'd like to know.

(warning rough stuff)
http://superheater1.bandcamp.com/album/ ... e-basement

Bootz_Rex

Postby copknocks » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:41 pm

i make some electronicish ambientish just generally weird music as a hobby. i'll post some stuff later.

what software do you guys record with? could be nice to figure out what type of gear/software everyone uses so we can use each other as resources.

recoveringcatholics.tumblr.com
copknocks

Postby hamburgerlady » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:36 pm

finally feeling at that point that i want to upgrade my guitar.
i'm at a squier affinity special telecaster, and it plays really bright and i still really enjoy the tone.
but i'm going to up that to a fender standard telecaster in lake placid blue. (such a good colour)
tone is much warmer, full bodied, and playing it feels so perfect and fit.

i've been really wanting to get into pedals as well.
does anyone have any sites that give an insight into a guide of pedals for beginners?
i'm giving it some research now, and i'm mostly looking at other musicians' set-ups to get a general idea too.
would just like to know if anyone here has any other knowledge/resources.
(interested in mainly playing shoegaze, no-wave, post-punk type music mainly).

also as for my background; i've been playing drums for 11 years, guitar for 1 1/2, and bass for 3.
i've played in a few bands in my first year(s) of college, but lately haven't been able to find anyone that wants to jam.
if i were to join a band as well, i'm more interested in playing the guitar rather than drums.

here are two bands that i played for :

hamburgerlady

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Far and above my favorite site for gear reviews is http://proguitarshop.com/ (ProGuitarShop), an Oregon-based music shop with a huge backlog of fantastic video reviews. Just get on there, search by pedal type, and enjoy.

I'll also warn you to ignore anybody that tells you to buy This Pedal Every Guitarist Should Own. I bought a lot of pedals I later sold because I had no use for the effect.

If you've got any specific questions about any particular gear types or brands feel free to hit me up. I spent years learning everything I could about that sphere, so I'd love to actually help someone with it.

UnwashedMolasses

PreviousNext

Return to Care