[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Tech-yes!

Tech-yes!

Off topic

Re: Tech-yes!

Postby CPV1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

Popped down to place some flowers with a mate from work (kind of as a joke but also serious) and got interviewed by Sky News. https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos ... 985100794/ at like 8:50.

CPV1

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Your reply was honestly one of the most clear and concise thoughts I've heard on one of these things - doubly impressive seeing as they accosted you. I would never have been so eloquent.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby wintyd0n0 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:39 am

Saw Helena Hauff with a 7 hour set at Bloc last night - very experimental and one of the best sets I've seen =)

wintyd0n0

Postby nope » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:09 pm

€100 8 vinyl release is a piss-take way to release an album (think it sold out before they even released a tracklist as well) but oh man the new Prince Of Denmark album is amazing. All yr fav bangers from the Smoke Machine podcast and the 2 Planet Uterus mixes.

Whole album: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2x9hLbnpt9

nope

Postby oucho » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:23 pm

I have been to see Raresh, Prasley, Inspirescu, Cally and Rhadoo recently :woop: some of my friends are going to sunwaves in Romania next year, it's cheap and falls on a bank holiday so I'm considering it too

oucho

Postby Copeland » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:27 pm

Robert Hood:

Shinichi Atobe:

Copeland

Postby CMYK » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:52 pm

FACT list is pretty good IMO

CMYK

Postby CPV1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 am

It is good, lots of nice tracks on there, but I don't see why they've decided to exclude "straight 4x4" stuff on a "The 20 best house and techno tracks of 2016" list. Like Asusu, Batu, Bruce, Kowton and Pangaea all together seems a bit much, haha.

CPV1

Postby nope » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 am

I don't check FACT much but think they've always had quite an explicitly UK / "Bass Music" editorial slant no? Think it's a good thing, I'd rather have some different perspectives in these end of year lists, especially as I don't really keep up with that stuff. Been meaning to make it to a No Symbols night and check it out for ages but I'm always busy when they're on.

nope

Postby CPV1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:37 pm

CPV1

Postby oucho » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:07 pm

please tell me what the best techno nights in London are so that I can tell my friend Phil that we should head to x or y night because someone from a fashion forum told me to

oucho

Postby CMYK » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:43 pm

While we're on it, a modular synth forum I lurk on has . Which I dig.

CMYK

Postby deadkitty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:39 pm

deadkitty

Postby nope » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 am

Tell Phil that the next

nope

Postby nope » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm

proper answer to your question:

There aren't many nights that I would go to just because the night itself is always good, generally it all depends on who's playing. That said, the Techno related nights I went to most last year were:

: On a Thursday at Rye Wax, and also occasional bigger warehouse things. Collective of women who only book women, very queer friendly etc etc. Super fun night even if you don't care about that sort of thing (as long as yr not being a dancefloor creep. And you shouldn't be doing that anyway). Pretty much always Techno bangers.

: Do big nights at Corsica Studios, which is the best club in London atm and has an amazing soundsystem. Really great lineups, good vibes, often a bit too busy though. Usually at least one room of Techno.

: Actually a venue but all the nights there are promoted in-house. Really nice space, good size, decent sound, frequently have interesting bookings. Lots of non-Techno stuff too.

: Bounce around between Rye Wax and Corisca. Really good bookings, though often "secret guest" unannounced people. Excellent crowd. Reliably Techno (or at least Techno-ish).

: Do proper raves in weird and great spots. Abandoned nursery school, a skate bowl in a park in Kennington, and a nature reserve in Canning Town for example. Always really fun, unsurprisingly trashed crowd. Pretty Techno.

: Technically a record label but did some fun nights with interesting DJs in various warehouse-y spaces. Sporadically Techno.

: Very, very silly Sunday morning / afternoon party at Corsica. Utterly featureless, unrelenting Techno smashers and the highest concentration of sunglasses-wearing Italian coke zombies in the entire of London (probably). Can however be a laugh if you are deeply, vibrantly awake at 10am on a Sunday. Better in summer so you can regularly escape to the smoking area to chat shit when the music becomes too monotonous to bear. Perhaps too Techno?

/ Seventh Day: Do big nights at Village Underground which are sometimes ok. The Seventh Day ones are on a Sunday evening and are better. The regular ones are pretty low on vibes but can still be alright if you have a crew. I award it Tech-House out of 10.

: "Gay Rave" at Bloc. Mostly not Techno, but often will have some at the end. Really fun, v. vibes crowd, v. taps aff. I like it a lot, but it would tip over into "amazing" if Bloc was just a bit less shit. Seriously, like a single notch. Or maybe three notches. Large, throbbing techno out of 10.

Recommend avoiding:
Fabric: Glad it's reopened, it's still bad though.
Hydra: Always do awful bank holiday things with 20 DJs playing for 10 minutes each. Costs a fortune. Bad space. Way too many people. Dickheads actually. Way too many dickheads.
Most of everything else: God it's all terrible.

might have some more ideas?
Edit: think that's a US thing? Has very different connotations in the UK, not a big deal here. In Glasgow it's a term of endearment! Not necessary though, especially in an international environment. I'll change it.

nope

Postby CPV1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:08 am

Um, I think you got the main ones. However, I like Fabric and love Jaded (Dax J & Cleric NYD was one of the best things I've been to for a while).

do pretty good nights at Rye Wax. They have a knack for, as soon as RA does a feature article on someone, booking them like the week after.

Jimmy Asquith's is probably worth watching too for trendy label nights.

do nice DJ all nighters.

To be honest though, I don't really follow promoters. I usually just scroll through lineups and go see who I wanna see.

CPV1

Postby raags » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:15 pm

Making my club debut at our 2nd birthday party in early Feb! Really excited to have a reason to practice so much and feeling very nervous and very motivated. Excited to drop this slammer

raags
Best Dressed

Postby nope » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:58 am

Good luck! I was so nervous when I first played in a club I could barely queue up records, fingers crossed you are made of sterner stuff. Main things I've found helpful to remember:

1) Records you think you know really well will end up sounding surprisingly different through a club system. That's ok. Mostly things are just harder than imagined, which is fine unless you're playing a warm up set.
2) Even with good monitors it's hard to hear properly and tbh good monitors seem to be mostly mythical anyway. Just use the headphones more, it'll be fine.
3) Combination of 1 & 2: Everything sounds much better on the dancefloor and nobody can hear all the mistakes that you may be tempted to start freaking out about.
4) Even if you train-wreck all over the place most people don't care as long as your tunes bang (other DJs will notice but who gives a shit about them). If your tunes don't bang then you're in trouble but that has nothing to do with nerves. If you've got that Spaceinvasion tune in the bag you'll be all good.
5) If you're really nervous use CDJs. You just make the numbers the same on both and hit play.

These days I still get nervous beforehand but as soon as I play the first record it's great. Playing a tune you love on a nice system and having a bunch of people dancing around to it is pretty magical. Got to play this banger on a big bit of funktion 1 late last year and I'm still pretty excited just thinking back to it.

nope

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:33 am

Ridiculous soundtrack on this platformer game: http://nplusplus.org/soundtrack/
Was watching my friend play it and noticed the music was just a little too good

Stolsdos

Postby bels » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 pm

I listen to this every day.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby deadkitty » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 am

deadkitty

Postby CMYK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:28 pm

CMYK

Postby nope » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I wanna know how ' set went

nope

Postby raags » Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 pm

hello and how sweet of you 2 ask :~)

it went well! it was super well received, i had a glut of adoring friends in the audience and I think i picked some great tracks for the slot and jizz. i thought i was mixing really well at the time but listening back to the recording i fucked a lot of transitions, the monitors we had were mediocre and the space was super boomy but the volume was so high headphone monitoring was tricky. that said, there was often a good bit of crowd roar blurring over the slop. i feel like there isn't a great substitute for practice playing on club systems!

i've had a fair few gigs since, supported peter van hoesen in the sideroom playing ambient (everyone was on the main floor but i had a sick one); a couple downtempo gigs; and i've got a couple other club shows coming up! very excited!

raags
Best Dressed

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:17 pm

remember when this thread was called "Future Sound of Detroit"

edit:
just for some real content this is some stuff i've been listening to. maybe more house than techno (tech-house?), but

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm

finally got around to listening to the new delroy and is sick

i dunno how to embed spotify/apple music/wtver music service but
https://open.spotify.com/album/7FGItvtqOExjOCIV9YsmGG

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby tomsfood » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Stanislav Tolkachev

so i tried my hand at making an out-there techno tune

https://ana-rres.bandcamp.com/track/12ax7eh

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby zevolution » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:24 pm

should i go see Steve Hauschild in Brooklyn in september, and is this the right thread for steven hauschildt or have i gone too far adrift

zevolution

Postby deadkitty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:54 am

deadkitty

PreviousNext

Return to Care