[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Dance Battle

Dance Battle

Off topic

Dance Battle

Postby teck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:28 am

I'm calling you out, ben.

Post dope dance videos here.

teck

Re: Dance Battle

Postby teck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 am

I used to be in the Southern California dance "scene" back during and after college. All of those crews you see on America's Best Dance Crew and such grew up from an intensely competitive dance culture there. Many of those dancers were semi-pros or at least very serious amateurs. There's a number of dance competitions, mainly held via local colleges, that form the backbone of the scene. Dance crews would usually align with local studios and have master classes. Crews like Kaba Modern originated from college clubs, and are usually much much larger than what you'd see on television.

This is Culture Shock San Diego's performance from '03. Culture Shock is a huge dance organization spanning the whole country -- fostering talent, creating pieces, and holding classes and training. CS San Diego was widely viewed as the premier dance group in the scene for a number of years, mainly because many of the dancers were professionals outside of the crew. Note the very "street" style of the performance.

teck

Postby teck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:43 am

Flash to 2013. The scene has grown immensely and with it, the style of dance seen on stage. One would almost be tempted to call this "modern" dance rather than hip hop. This is Choreo Cookies, a SoCal crew that's been dominant in the competition circuit for the past few years.

Again note the style of dance, which is more fluid, more pop (as in "pop music" not "pop and lock"). These competitions are judged based on precision, synchronization, and creativity.

teck

Postby teck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:46 am

Finally, a favorite of mine: Jabbawockies before they became Jabbawockies. One of their first performances, held at Culture Shock San Diego's dance showcase. Note the lack of the trademark white masks, replaced instead by black stockings.

I took a few classes by a few of these guys. All nice dudes. Most were struggling dancers/actors back when I met them. Again, the crew is much larger than what was shown on ABDC. Jabbawockies was formed out of a number of crews that existed at the time -- a sort of "super crew" created out of the best the scene had to offer.

teck

Postby hooplah » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:15 pm

i have a ton of friends in dance crews and shit so i guess i have some input i can share here

some of my favorite pieces

[youtube]dZWNMOWrliM#t=176[/youtube]
(2:56 - get outta your mind)

[youtube]eGFwf7VQGFE#t=128[/youtube]
(2:04 - a little party never kill nobody)

there are more but i can't think of them right now

hooplah

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:23 pm

I LOVE dancing, although I just a kind of silly childish dance when I go out because I don't care. My girlfriend likes it, thankfully, although she's usually too busy laughing to dance back.

Me and my best friend have been learning this for years and always try and break it out. We are not good at it.

My girlfriend and I are learning the Charleston, which I'm okay at, but I'm rubbish at any dance which is delicate.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:40 pm

Insane fucking outfits holllly shit.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:55 pm

bobbin thats so fun.

to be honest i'm not super into the whole group choreo thing. i'm especially not into the "Hip Hop" kappa modern/poreotics etc, i think there are some groups like u-min and prepix that put on some great shows but the stuff that was popularized by abdc isn't very expressive to me. i cant stomach the 6 dudes on stage doing line work, fixed wave/tutting sets and theres always some dude who backflips over someone and does a couple bboy flairs or windmills.

i will take a good battle or freestyle any day. to me, les twins really define what "hip hop" dance means.

this is a fun battle:

this is a quick exhibition by a french bboy I super respect.

can-

Postby can- » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Marion Motin is one of my favorite dancers

she's not the most technical or even talented dancer. but that swaggers on top.

i dont think shes a JACQUEMUS girl.

can-

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:33 am

Here's a few things I did while in ballroom at Miami.

I'm front center male in this one.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... UQG9QQmx98

And I'm the white one in this one. Please ignore the hat, it was forced on me. : (

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=48 ... iQ&theater

I really want to get more into hip-hop dancing but I don't have an easy way to go about doing so. Also, let me know if you can't see the videos.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby JCM » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:11 pm

I have always wanted to dance but usually just held the impression that I was too "awkward" and not really the dancing type and all that typical bullshit until I stopped caring less recently. I went to a James Murphy DJ set on a first date (and honestly forgot about her lol) a while ago and danced for 3 hours and now I want to do it more but don't always get the chance to so I've been watching videos and dancing in my room.

Wish I could do this

JCM

Postby charybdis » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:14 am

I'm super impressed. And not just because hundreds of fangirls on tumblr are probably wetting themselves in excitement.

[youtube]Y1NS97_lHi8#t=69[/youtube]

[youtube]7GaO0oMniMQ#t=33[/youtube]

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby can- » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:02 am

good quick battle

love Danny's effortless boogaloo bboy style. and laurent, yall already know

can-

Postby hooplah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 pm

hooplah

Postby teck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:25 pm

dude i been watching that damn ringa linga performance so damn much and i forgot where i had seen it. should have figured it was from here.

did anyone notice that he's wearing rick memphis pants?

love all the "covers". i keep noticing all the hyped clothes too. cdg, pyrex...

teck

Postby hooplah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:09 pm

kpop stars are getting really into higher-end fashion. i don't really follow it anymore but people like taeyang, g-dragon, and ga-in are constantly seen in designer clothes these days. rick owens seems to be a favorite of taeyang, g-dragon wears a lot of saint laurent.

hooplah

Postby kyung » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm

iirc they both did some sort of collab with stampd and i see a lot of guys pushing into this "neo sportswear" look coming out of stampd or dxpechef

seem to be fans of juun j (obviously) and tb as well

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby teck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

dope, any links to vids or whatever with stamped/juunj?

teck

Postby kyung » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm

with the man himself

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby sknss » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 am

been obsessed with this choreography since i saw the film

aaaand there's more!!

hilarious.

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby missrowan » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

Trained in ballet for 15+ years. Here's one of my favourites

missrowan

Postby can- » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:23 am

Yohji Yamomoto and some dancer

can-

Postby missrowan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 pm

notified me that I fucked up with the video

let's try again

Last edited by germinal on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed youtube
missrowan

Postby can- » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:35 pm

larry is wearing a givenchy ma1

can-

Postby Northwest » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:22 pm

[youtube]JqHr0o08LD0?list=PLIfwiKAPyruCR10yqgZU-E_eqqR2luZNT[/youtube]

First forum ever was BBoy.org so I've been an e-boy for a long time. Casper was always a favorite because he somehow embodied that explosive element of breaking that was so fascinating to watch.

[youtube]L65gkNj_S2I?list=PLIfwiKAPyruCR10yqgZU-E_eqqR2luZNT[/youtube]

BBoy.org alumni; easily my footwork idol.

Northwest

Postby sknss » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:57 pm

isn't she amazing

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Return to Care