[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Lift things up and put them down.

Lift things up and put them down.

Off topic

Re: Lift things up and put them down.

Postby LegallySmelf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:34 am

Whenever I need to feel good about myself I load up my BJJ video reels. Just watched them and got all pumped up. Makes me sad I'm too busy with school/career to compete on a serious level any more :'(

LegallySmelf

Postby mofaux » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:21 pm

mofaux

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 pm

Hurt my shoulder playing basketball yesterday so I had to put off lifting for today.

Also, I need to improve my vertical, do you guys have any recs ?

spahdfgo

Postby mofaux » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:47 pm

celebrating my new deadlift on the last day of my bulk

EDIT:spahdfgo if by "vertical" you mean overhead press try clenching your butt, it's weird but it works.

mofaux

Postby spahdfgo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:06 am

Nah, vertical jump

spahdfgo

Postby odradek » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:29 pm

odradek

Postby ptozzi » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:15 am

Starting strength is way too vanilla for me. Any recommendations for good beginner routines?

Edit: Looking for something with a little more variety I suppose. SS is just boring IMO.

ptozzi

Postby odradek » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 am

spend a month (or more) getting your form down on oly lifts and then do a routine from catalystathletics

alternately build a routine around the things you want to be better at

odradek

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 am

spahdfgo

Postby ptozzi » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:34 am

After a bit of research I think I found the plan for me.

Figured I'd post the link here for anyone else who comes here looking for a novice routine.

ptozzi

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:17 am

Went for my squat 1RM on saturday, didn't expect to get as much DOMS

spahdfgo

Postby JCM » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Been away from the internets for a while but thought this would be a first post. Reached my goal of swimming a mile a few weeks ago. Felt really good and now I can do it easily (although I doubt it's very fast). I feel smoother and more fluid than I did at the start too. That video teck linked me helped me visualize the stroke process rather than just floundering. Excited to progress but don't really know what a good next milestone would be good swim-wise.

JCM

Postby anonomous » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Curious question, i've learnt swimming in the past, but all my other swimming colleagues (at that time) swim faster than me. What EXACTLY propels you forward faster?

anonomous

Postby odradek » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:13 pm

more surface area moving water with the resultant force vector propelling you forwards and a minimaztion of drag. that is to say, energy used should be used to direct your forward and your body position should be good.

odradek

Postby teck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:05 am

anon yep its about gliding through the water as smoothly as possible, even while stroking. try this: push off from the wall, and do a single stroke. how far can you go? what's slowing you down? keep experimenting with head position, body orientation. you'll find as you get a better feel for what works you'll go farther on that single stroke.

teck

Postby smiles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 pm

skate skiing this morning. really does a number on all your major muscle groups.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:27 pm

At the mall trying to show the SO how slim clothes don't go with lifts that make your thighs grow:

Also, anybody got any bulking stories or recommendations? I'm working on a (slow and clean) bulk trying to gain 20 pounds of muscle over the course of however long it takes.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Capt » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Started trying to do some HIIT while I'm waiting on my back and knees to feel better.

I think I'm going to die.

Capt

Postby rjbman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Gameplan for new year: I get back from vacation on Jan 1, and my parents have a one week pass at their gym. Gonna hit hard that week since other than that I've got a month with no gym available. Anonomous suggested I just continue to follow Greyskull and add in accessory workouts on the off days. I wish they had a pool, I'd love to get some laps in.

Once back at college, turning the bulk up to full. Aiming for 200 lbs. Hoping to get my squat to 2 plates and my bench to 165 by summertime.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby teck » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:08 pm

started doing heavier deadlifts and back feels good finally. you youngins -- please value your bodies, getting injured sucks.

rj- swimming is great but its opposite of gains. its a hell of a thing trying to improve your freestyle and bench press a the same time.

teck

Postby rjbman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:05 pm

My cardio is shot though, to the point where running more than a block leaves me winded. I'd sacrifice some small gains for better overall fitness.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby omgimacarrot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:45 am

Haven't hit the gym in 3 weeks since I'm home and I'm dying. Loss of energy sucks. Anyways, I've hit a plateau. I'm not sure if I want to bulk or go lean, but I'm at that point where I need to change up my routine. I'm scared of bulking and all my clothes not fitting me, which happened this year, so I'm leaning towards lean. Also, can't find the motivation, possibly due to senioritis.

omgimacarrot

Postby anonomous » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:42 am

Happy 2014 guys! Tis'll be a big year for me, both physically and in fashion. I'm definitely going to train more BJJ/Lifting and compete more, no excuses. Changing up a whole new program for the new year, probably with compounds and more accessory lifts for more aesthetics than strength.

rjbman Dude, remember i asked if you did any sports besides lifting? I was thinking you could pick up a new sport that you fancy, to boost your stamina. Swimming is good, just need to eat more for more gains!

omgimacarrot Do a cut? then bulk again when you hit your goal BF%. What happened to me the past year (2013) is that i cut, most of the year, got to around 13% BF or so. Well, what i meant was, I'll continue doing a cut until i reach 8%, only then i'll start bulking again. I've read somewhere where people suggested that you should get to a really low body fat before you bulk, which also made quite a bit of sense to me. It was a pretty long post about how everyone cares about aesthetic, and how most people would rather be slim/low BF% than fat but slightly muscly. Something along the lines of that, at least. But well, however you want to do it, cut first or bulk first is all arguable and subjective but i find that this works best for me.

anonomous

Postby teck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:18 am

anon what's your cut like? is doing a cut sustainable in the long run?

also guys, its time for swoleproblems. the other day i was putting on a suit for new years and i literally couldnt fit into any of my suits. i prob have a bit more BF than a year ago but a lot of it has to do with my enormous badonkadonk, legs, and back from lifting. im a bit depressed because now maybe 2 out of my 5 suits fits.

so now im thinking of going back to doing more endurance stuff, but i love my gains. any way to balance that shit out?

teck

Postby LegallySmelf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm

I started a Keto diet as a New Year resolution. I anticipate I'll notice its affect on my athletic performance before its affect on my fashun performance so I'll post updates here.

I got through 2 days of "keto flu" (aka a hypoglycemic state) and feel really good and even now. Very curious to see how it affects my training. I've read anecdotal stuff here and there about how it's good and bad for this and that but I'm done with anecdotal bullshit and ready to get on the mats and see how I do (please don't tell me your story about how keto hurt your gains/lifting/performance/whatever - I'm just gonna see how it works for my body).

My goal is to go from 195lbs 16% bodyfat to 175lbs 5% bodyfat. I intend to reach my goal between April and June. If I decide not to continue Keto I plan to transitition to Paleo.

LegallySmelf

Postby spahdfgo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:51 pm

5% bf is a bit unrealistic. I don't think you realize how low that is.

spahdfgo

Postby SteevMike » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

i read that keto can make your hair fall out so fuck keto

pros dont actually stay at sub-10% BF longer than they have to, right? (e.g., weigh-in or a show or w/e)

SteevMike

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby teck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:42 am

i get a weird visceral reaction from the whole paleo thing. i think sometimes the people who "do" paleo are just so damn vocal about it annoys me. but i can see the benefit of cutting out sugars, carbs, and trying to eat clean.

i did keto tho for about a month and i didnt see any weight loss (maybe one or two LBs) but maybe i wasnt on it long enough.

teck

Postby thomaspaine » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 am

I lost a good deal of weight on keto, but it sucks for athletic performance. I do cyclical keto which helps but after two days of bjj I'm carb depleted and have zero energy, so my cardio sucks for the second half of the week. I should do a more moderate carb balanced diet but deep down I'm a fat kid and I like carb up days.

thomaspaine

PreviousNext

Return to Care