[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Lift things up and put them down.

Lift things up and put them down.

Off topic

Re: Lift things up and put them down.

Postby teck » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

so what would a workout look like? how many sets of rock and roll, high pull, etc?

teck

Postby odradek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

it puts the barbell at standard height so no matter what weight you put on, your body position remains the same when you pull from the floor; with differently sized weights you have to stack like teck did and it's weird and annoying. they're also generally rubberized so you can drop them and not shatter them. being round lets you roll the barbell into position, too.

i do my snatches pyramided up like 70/80/90/90% x3, sometimes at the front, sometimes at the back. i almost always lead off the snatches (not necessarily the workout) with a few rock and roll drills until i feel like my body and hips are moving the way they should. for high pulls, it really depends on how i'm feeling whether they go before or after the main event but i usually do 'them 3x6 on a similar but slightly heavier pyramid, maybe 90/100/110% of max snatch. generally i'd frontload the overhead squat, though.

odradek

Postby eufemism » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:20 pm

went to the track today after a month long hiatus and decided to take it slowly. ran a mile at a steady jogging pace and decided to take a 3 minute break before tackling the next mile. After the break I started running again, but I felt light headed so I stopped. I've been at the same fitness level for a while now so it's starting to get frustrating that I'm too afraid to pass my limits.

Also, I have to learn how to swim.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby SteevMike » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:23 pm

started using a belt on my last (heavy) set of squats and now i am back to enjoying squats

deadlift is soaring

will i reach 1000 total by the end of the semester without getting real fat? maybe!!

SteevMike

Postby nick » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby teck » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:11 pm

where is the power coming from for the drill? it doesn't seem to me that he's extending his hips after getting flat footed.

also

what does frontload mean?

teck

Postby odradek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:19 pm

there's no power in that drill, it's more of a range-of-motion, timing and speed thing. pvc pipe is the best and the idea is that just the process of throwing the hips into the scoop will give the bar the momentum it needs to get up. without the hips, you sort of fake this motion with the shoulders, relying on more of a shrug motion. this shrug motion will actually play in the high pull but really it's only to get the bar up the waist where the hips take over. i find/feel that i'm doing the rock and roll drill correctly when the pipe i've got basically flies above my head with almost no use of my arms. once you've got that hip thrust timing and hip-shoulder combo, putting light weight on it to actually get resistance will show you where it's going. start light, stay light until the form is there.

by frontload i mean put them at the beginning of your workout.

odradek

Postby teck » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 pm

ive been obsessed with learning how to do a muscle up.

teck

Postby anonomous » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:51 pm

and i've been obsessed with learning how to do one of those kung fu kip ups all of us used to watch when we were kids. I can do a reverse kip up though, like this

anonomous

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Best unexpected outcome of bulking is that gf can't keep her hands off my new ass

hashtag bragbrag

UnwashedMolasses

Postby teck » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm

my girl thinks my ass is too big heh. THE GAINS ARE JUST BEGINNING BABY.

i wish i could explain how to do a kip up. it's essentially a kick combined with a sit up. i used to do it all the time when i was in karate, but honestly it uses up tons of energy and really puts you in a vulnerable position in a fight :P

teck

Postby ptozzi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Loving the progress I've made these past two months. Up from 75 to 125 lb bench is my most significant accomplishment. Can't recommend Ice Cream Fitness enough for those just starting to lift.

ptozzi

Postby chasiu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:16 pm

I've been really happy with my lifts lately. New squat PR of 335lbs. Adding weighted pull-ups has been a nice addition as well. Wanting to add some more stuff to chest days. Any recs?

chasiu

Postby sid3000 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:40 pm

chasiu, cable crosses are really fantastic. add them at the end of your workout and do them until failure, pausing at the top of rep.

sid3000

Postby chasiu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah, I do those and dumbbell flys.

Haven't done those in a while. I'll add them again.

No. Bench is lacking :/

chasiu

Postby Runningshoes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Whats up guys. Has anyone had any experience with greyskull lp? I've been doing it for about a week now and I enjoy i much more than ice cream fitness/starting strength. I like that it incorporates bodyweight exercises and a little bit of training to failure.

I have a confession. I HATE SQUATs. Everyday that i workout i dread the first part of my workout because I have to squat everyday I go to the gym. I know its probably the best or second best compound exercise but I refuse to do it more than once a week. I started working out for appearance and general strength training and squats really don't benefit the first part. My girlfriend started complaining about how big my ass was getting. I want to have a slim lower half and a muscular and broad upper body. This is basically what triggered the switch to greyskull.

Runningshoes

Postby CleanThug » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Could it be that your form is off? I mean of course it's possible to just not to like squats but maybe doing it wrong is hindering you in that way. I used to despise deadlifts but ever since I got my form down they're great.

Keep in mind that consistency is king but if you like GSLP then stick with it!

CleanThug

Postby rjbman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Greyskull is solid, I think there's a few people here besides me who do it ( for one got me started on it). I've also started altering it up a bit for my warmups on upper body stuff, going 12@50%, 10@75%, 8@90%, and then the working sets; I stayed at 5 reps for all sets for lower body stuff.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby Runningshoes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:55 pm

Runningshoes

Postby BobbyZamora » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:27 am

I do Greyskull as well (phrakture variant)

been doing it for about 1 and a half months and it seems good so far.

i've been lifting for longer (on and off since last summer) but i didn't get serious about any of this until halfway through january when i bought some whey bean energy and started tracking my calories (i was undershooting my caloric needs by like 1000 cals a day for months :/ no wonder i saw minimal progress)

i hit 150lbs (up from 115lbs) on my deadlift last week :-), not a big number (i'm 5'7", ~127lbs and started off even weaker/smaller) but it's progress. Bench is at 120, probably started at 80.

I'm also not a fan of squats- I still do them but they're quite hard on my back, and my leg muscles are already disproportionately large compared to the rest of me (girlfriend confirms this) for reasons unknown. I will say though, going from Starting Strength to Greyskull LP was hell. For some reason GSLP is a way more intense workout, despite generally doing fewer workouts overall.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby anonomous » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:48 am

@rjbman, if you ever want to move on from GSLP, i recommend 5/3/1 BBB next! It gets you crazy (visual) results in a month or so.

anonomous

Postby nick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 am

I would really really recommend Greyskull for beginners as opposed to SS or SL. Instead of the Chinups if you cant do them and dont want to do negatives, you can do V-handle lat pulldowns. They are super fun.

SL has insane volume and is far from practical if you're working out at a college gym etc. SS has too way too much lower body focus. The AMRAP set is also great for making sure you keep progressing.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby teck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:55 pm

yesterday after my workout i noticed this dude who had on some sick layering game while bro lifting. i had to figure out a way to ask him what his tank tops were (he had two on, some cool technical sweatpant things, and roche runs). so while he and his buddy were at the incline i asked how many sets they had left, although i had no intention of using the incline. then i asked what tanks he had. one was oak, and one was a random chinese brand.

teck

Postby teck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:57 pm

could we use this thread to post awesome workout clothes? i love love love nike running clothes like the nike knit shirt. looks super dope but i hear its actually not great for running (plus i barely run enough to warrant special clothes)

i have some flyknits and again i barely run but they look coo.

teck

Postby rjbman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Worked in with a guy with some sick Air Carnivores. Dude was super encouraging too "You're doing a plate!" "Nah I can't do a plate" "You're doing a plate".

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby Woland » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 pm

the only times i'm excited is when I get to go the the gym, it's quite sad, really.

also, i wish I could go deeper on my squats, but my hip mobility is garbage. I'm gonna stay doing lightwiegths for squats till then tho

edit: look at my horrible squat form

Woland

Postby teck » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:01 pm

i started doing kipping pullups in my quest to do a muscle up. i realize now that kipping pullups are a misnomer, as its more of a body explosive thing than a pull up. now all of the negative comments i see about them seem ignorant.

i still agree they look funny tho.

teck

Postby JonjoShelvey » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:06 pm

thought i'd go for a little run today. had an asthma attack and coughed for 30 mins straight bcuz i don't have an inhaler. i don't think ill be doing that again

JonjoShelvey

Postby Cryptic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:11 pm

been going to the gym regularly for 2 months now
i focus on strength and powerlifting so i do squats, bench, deadlift, press, and rows for the bulk of my exercises

when i started i benched 65 but today i hit 120 today for a 5x5 (rate progress)
squats went from 115 --- > hit a 165 for 5x5
deadlifts from 135 to hitting a 5x5 on 195

everyone is different
Cryptic

Postby mofaux » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:05 am

hit a milestone today

bench: 225 (bad shoulder + 2 bad wrists = hilarious progression)
squat: 345
deadlift: 435
total: 1005

took a shitload of preworkout and deadlifted 435 for the first time, now my poop's weird. totally worth it

mofaux

PreviousNext

Return to Care