[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Lift things up and put them down.

Lift things up and put them down.

Off topic

Re: Lift things up and put them down.

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:57 am

Main difference is in rep ranges and specific exercises. (Everything that follows is very general.) Higher rep ranges (8-12) will get you more size while lower ranges (3-5) give more strength gains. Training for strength usually involves lifting very heavy with compound lifts, while aesthetics generally calls for less weight with same or similar exercises, but also lots of isolation work thrown in for various muscle groups.

But in a very real sense, you can do isolation work while training for strength or you can just do both at the same time, it depends on how much you want to work out.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby teck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:02 pm

yep strength training is purely for strength, and focuses on compound motions. its also more directly applicable to sports because most sports focus on explosive hip strength (throwing, running, jumping, etc).

the main thing i like about strength training (and i've been lifting weights in one form or another for about 10 years) is that its very linear. you lift x, then you try to beat it. you always must keep progressing. aesthetic lifters CAN be strong, but they spend a lot of energy working on muscles that don't really do anything (biceps for example).

i always recommend doing starting strength. do it for 3-6 months. if you're not getting results, then try something else, altho see above for the rest of my philosophy.

teck

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Hate to neg teck but biceps don't really do anything? Big mover in almost any pulling motion and control rotation of the arm. You should absolutely be training biceps even if you're focusing on strength training, at the very least to promote elbow health.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby veggies » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:47 pm

@molasses: i think he just meant that you don't really need to isolate biceps if you're lifting for strenght? hitting biceps with heavy rows and pulldowns should be enough if hypertrophy isn't your primary goal

veggies

Postby teck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:48 pm

nah man every single time i see people just doing bicep i cringe. theres just way way way better exercises that work the bicep but in a way that builds overall strength. pull ups, chin ups, rows of all types.

sure if youve done tons of other stuff, then go ahead and throw in some biceps. but i always see cats doing like four kinds of bicep work, and then neglecting the compounds. i've gotten a stronger bicep from doing deadlifts for crying out loud.

teck

Postby rjbman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:07 pm

, let me suggest something besides SS.

I think it's a bit more evenly balanced between upper and lower body. And the AMRAP last set helps make sure you're always pushing for that last rep regardless of whether it's easy or hard.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby Cryptic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm

Just got back from the gym...
120 bench 5x5
195 squat 5x5
295 deadlift 3x5

I've been on stronglifts for about a month after doing high rep training for the first couple months, and I like it better.
Stronglifts is like SS, in that you workout three times a week and do squats every time and increase the weight by 5 every workout.
After 2 months of lifting I was at like 155 squats, and every time I worked out when I started stronglifts I would increase squat and from there my strength just exploded. (also 225-->315 deadlift in that month)
Note: I've made severely less aesthetic/visible gains than I did strength wise, but IMO it was definitely worth it. For me, knowing i beat the weights I did the previous workout makes me want to get back into the gym that much more

In regards to accessory work to the big 5 (Squats, Deadlift, Bench, Overhead press, Rows), you can honestly do whatever you want as long as it doesn't detract from the intensity and energy levels when you do the actual important exercises for powerlifting. I usually round out my lifts with bicep curls, some lat pulldowns, and a lot of dips/pushups/pullups to failure at the end of my workout.

everyone is different
Cryptic

Postby ballast » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 pm

a thing in sf

ballast

Postby absurdmind » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 pm

thanks dude this looks interesting. never done the alternating thing before, ill try it out for a few months. whats the rest setup for this plan? is it the 3 days listed then a day off, or rest every other day?

absurdmind

Postby RomanEmpire » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:23 pm

Finally got to start going to the gym today. Just doing SS for a couple months and focusing on form. Increasing the amount of calories I eat is kind of challenging though, did not expect to need this many more calories to reach my recommended amount. I'm using MyFitnessPal to keep track of them, makes it really easy.

RomanEmpire

Postby teck » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am

i started 5/3/1 the other day because i figure i should be back on a formal program. the whole AMRAP thing sucks, i forgot how hard it is to do 10 reps after doing 5 or so reps forever for every set. training for a mud run (spartan run in particular) so i have to actually go jogging.

im also trying to learn how to do a lever. i figure it'll be a fun way to do abs and i need to increase grip strength.

teck

Postby seth83292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:16 am

I just found out my gym has hexagonal deadlift bars. those things are fun.

seth83292

Postby jrisk » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm

are they easier to grip ?

jrisk

Postby seth83292 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:08 pm

the grip is kinda to your sides instead of right in front of you, and I think the hex bar uses less lower back muscles and more hip?

it makes it a lot easier to stay in good form imo.

seth83292

Postby veggies » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:43 pm

so i've been doing a full body bb routine for a while and i'll probably switch to a split in a couple months. i was thinking of doing an upper/lower split 2x a week, like or lyle's generic bulking routine, you guys have any other recommendations? can't really workout more than 3-4 days a week though

veggies

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Hex bar uses more quad, less back, similar body movement to a hack squat.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Cryptic » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:31 pm

everyone is different
Cryptic

Postby bels » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 pm

I was working on bridges last night and now my back fucking kills. Hope I haven't screwed something.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Capt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:53 pm

My beat up vans used for lifting are starting to get the heels worn down so I figured for a replacement pair I might do something silly. Maybe get a some converse in that florescent yellow that everyone loves, write something like "Awesome workout shoes," and have a lazily drawn swoosh on one and maybe reebok thing on the other.

I think everyone would just think I'm an idiot though.

Capt

Postby brlmski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:24 am

I've decided to replace the leg work in my split with vertical jump training stuff since I want to be more explosive.

brlmski

Postby rjbman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:47 am

Power cleans.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby RomanEmpire » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:17 pm

What kind of shoes should I use for lifting? I know flat shoes are preferred, will canvas plimsolls work?

RomanEmpire

Postby veggies » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:31 pm

@cryptic: hypertrophy. i'm 5'11 145 lbs, want to get to 165 lbs at 8-10% bf. i was thinking about switching to a split because i'm finding it hard to do accessory work without spending 2 hours in the gym every time i work out

also another thing, i've been experiencing a mild discomfort in my shoulder after bench pressing on friday, i think it's my rotator cuff. do i just avoid benching until it feels fine and then deload and work on form trying to use less shoulders and more chest or do i need some shoulder prehab/rehap excercises?

@romanempire: plimsolls are perfect, i use chucks personally but as long as they're flat soled you're alright

veggies

Postby teck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:00 am

i havent been wanting to buy designer clothes lately but now im using all of my internet search experience in obsessing over workout tights. anyone have any compression shorts/tights they like? i bought some pro combat ones because my UAs are worn down and not as stretchy, and this weekend i started running again which destroyed my legs.

been thinking of getting some cw-x ventilators: http://www.amazon.com/CW-X-Conditioning ... tor+tights

teck

Postby veggies » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:02 pm

thanks to anonomous abd teck for the advice, wish i could plus rep rep comments.

veggies

Postby teck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 am

went and bought some expensive ass cx w pro tights. i....im ashamed how much time i spent shopping for them.

teck

Postby SteevMike » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:29 am

down to a 32 (from a 33/34) tru waist altho i'm still holding steady at ~187lb.

my back has been bugging the shit outta me this week so r.i.p. goal for 1k club

SteevMike

Postby vgtbls » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Starting the long road to a half marathon. I'm running with my girlfriend which is pretty new to me. She's a full foot shorter so my strides are a lot longer. She looks way better in my Gyakusou jacket. I was about to sell it, but now it's hers.

vgtbls

Postby teck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:34 pm

do you think you get overly reliant on the CWX stuff? I'm stepping up my training (doing running and lifting) and i really think support is necessary, but i don't want to get to a point where i need tons of gear just to exercise.

teck

Postby sid3000 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:46 pm

tbh I originally got a pair of the tights because it was a little chilly running at night but the extra support really helped, especially because Im just a big dude and keeping the leg muscles contained helped my stride. I was trying to make personal endurance records at the time and they absolutely pushed me forward and made it much easier to just keep going. Would I put them on for treadmill or short outdoor runs? no, not worth the hassle of even putting them on. I wouldnt even consider them for lifting because I just dont think I need them and it would technically be against the "raw lifting" ethos most of us sign up for in the beginning.

I dont think it's a huge issue if you need some gear for lifting, I've seen some guys put on knee wraps before they even warm up then 10 minutes later doing 3-4 plates. Just consider whether it's going to affect your mobility (cwx didnt, for me) and if youre actually seeing gains from it.
Chavvy broscience aside, some stuff like tights or a belt at relatively low weight can rob you of progress you would make without them, but is ultimately net progress if you couldnt do the lift in the first place - so it's a balance you need to think about and decide on your own.

sid3000

PreviousNext

Return to Care