[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Lift things up and put them down.

Lift things up and put them down.

Off topic

Re: Lift things up and put them down.

Postby bobo77 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Thoughts on rowing machines? Tried it out at my gym yesterday and it's a lot of fun. How effective is it for weight loss? Does anyone have a set routine with it?

bobo77

Postby yourdad » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:44 pm

most rowers i know are are into dragon boating and they're pretty lean/cut. their posture is also impeccable.

yourdad

Postby g2x222 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:48 pm

g2x222

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:38 am

Did SS for like 4 months a while back before getting a job, decent gains, not a lot of definition. Gained like 20 lbs then stopped working out since my gym wasn't open after my work hours.

Now that summer is upon me and I got a membership to a 24/7 gym I switched to SL and am about two weeks into it. What is a standard progression? I've been adding 10lb to each lift every week (ie week 1 squat was 135 5x5 and now that I'm on week two I'm at 145 5x5 for my squat) and I've been doing the same for bench and deadlift but rows and standing press aren't budging as easily.

What numbers should I be looking for on those lifts in terms of progression?

Also I know most people say to stop a beginning program like SL or SS once your numbers stop going up but what should I be looking for? I've always heard 2xBW for DL, 1.5xBW for squat and 1xBW for bench. Is this for your working set or max? As in should I be able to DL by BW 5 times or just once?

http://i.imgur.com/iZWg0.gif This is what I've been using for reference.

e:

Taking 5g creatine/day and eating a lot of good food, avocados/fish/oats etc.

JewTurk

Postby nevergreen » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:57 pm

the bean energy powder i just started using has been making me so gassy and i'm p sure my body will adjust but it stinks sooooooooo bad

nevergreen

Postby teck » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

teck

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:05 pm

So, grip.

I don't want to start wearing gloves to lift but goddamn did it feel like I was 1/2 second from tearing off my palms skin today. I messed around with my grip after but nothing really stops my calluses from folding over and getting really close to tearing off no matter how I'm gripping.

Any advice? Toughen up and hope nothing rips off?

JewTurk

Postby brlmski » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:17 pm

@JewTurk buy chalk. Much better than gloves.

brlmski

Postby seth83292 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:08 pm

some gyms don't allow chalk, so ask first.

seth83292

Postby brlmski » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:10 pm

@seth83292 True. Though check out liquid grip liquid chalk if that's the case. Most places would allow that and some people even prefer that to normal chalk.

brlmski

Postby silvaeri » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:43 pm

I need some advice on a lifting routine. I've been lifting for about a year now but it's always been with my roommate and I've always just done whatever lifts/exercise he was doing each day and now that he's moved out I've realized I have no idea wtf I'm doing in terms of a plan or routine. Should I just go with like SS/SL to start with or could there be something better? Thanks!

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby brlmski » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:19 pm

brlmski

Postby silvaeri » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm currently ~150lbs. 135 bench / 165 squat and my roommate hardly ever did deadlift (haven't done it in like 6 months so i have no memory of what that number was).

Not too bothered if something is leg heavy. I race track bikes so strong lower body is always a benefit.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby brlmski » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:09 pm

I think you would benefit from going on SS/SL until you hit 1.5x BW on your squats. They're relatively weak compared to your bench.

brlmski

Postby oldtrailmix » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:25 pm

thoughts on what program to do after greyskull LP?

i'm looking for something that incorporates the balanced upper/lower that greyskull had going on.

oldtrailmix

Postby anonomous » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:02 am

5/3/1 Boring But Big. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _challenge

I moved from GSLP to that and it works wonders.

anonomous

Postby teck » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:41 pm

im going to move away from just powerlifting and am thinking of starting to do bodyweight/bar stuff combined with good old running. i did a mud run recently and i was fine and strong but i just don't feel "in shape" like i used to. i like the idea of being more agile and having higher tolerance too

anyone have experience with bodyweight stuff? i downloaded some apps and checked it out online. not sure if there's any pointers for beginner. i still plan to lift, just a lot less and without emphasis on the 1RM.

teck

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:37 pm

There ya go! I'm doing pretty much the exact same thing, just gonna keep squats/deads/cleans cause those can't really be replaced by BW exercises. At least, not what I use them for.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby teck » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:52 pm

cheers man.

HOw is this for fat burning? i need to lose a little weight. i want to work in a bit of running and swimming, will that be too much/stagnate progression in BW stuff?

teck

Postby SteevMike » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:39 pm

cool i think i gave myself tennis elbow in both elbows

SteevMike

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:16 pm

As long as you're eating maintenance or lower you should be good for fat burning. I do BW consecutively with lifting and running. I don't think running/swimming will affect BW progression much or at all - the advantage of BW over lifting is that (in my experience) it's much less taxing to you central nervous system and muscles, so you get fatigues less and recover quicker.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby CleanThug » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:02 pm

@teck @unwashedmolasses

So let's say I'd rather do something like this than a linear strength program and I've been lifting for about a year. How would I go about it if I still want to lift? I'm willing to put work in just wondering the best way to go about it. Thanks

CleanThug

Postby teck » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:23 am

teck

Postby WussWayne » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:45 am

Anyone here skinny-fat/ used to be skinny-fat?

Reeling the girls in
Taking the clothes off
Having them feel cheated :sweg:

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby JewTurk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:01 am

Willing to kill someone for bigger calves at this point.

JewTurk

Postby teck » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

i have massive calves. people stop me on the street asking about my calves. its mostly genetic i think. however i also used to cycle a lot and that helped. stadium steps. squating?

teck

Postby silvaeri » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't have massive looking calves, but I do have pretty strong/defined calves from cycling too I believe teck. I've noticed whenever I'm trackstanding at a light that it really works my calves.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41 pm

So for a standard bulking diet am I missing anything?

5g creatine/day
100+g bean energy/day (I weight 145 currently)
500 cal over maintenance currently

I try my best to eat healthy foods, beyond that I don't keep track of much. I'm going to bulk as much as possible until I'm unhappy with how I look/feel. Then I'll probably try my first real cut.

e:
other than getting a lot of sleep, anything I should be making sure I get in every day?

JewTurk

Postby balloons » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:31 pm

what would happen if I did greyskull LP, ate maintenance calories but 'healthier' foods (i.e., less sugary snax; more bean energy)?

would I get more muscle definition and be more aesthetic w/o going up a size in shirts or growing out of my skinnies?

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby JonjoShelvey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 am

would be really hard to gain muscle definition without gaining inches unless you just lost bodyfat

greyskull is mainly a strength gaining program, if ur looking for a more aesthetic body a bro split or allpros beginner routine would be better http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

JonjoShelvey

PreviousNext

Return to Care