[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Lift things up and put them down.

Lift things up and put them down.

Off topic

Re: Lift things up and put them down.

Postby bels » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:44 am

If you want to track stuff in your phone and you're on Android, I find the Progression app really good

http://www.progression-app.com/

Been using it for a while now. Syncs to google fit as well so if you use your phone as an activity tracker (gfit auto detects cycling so it's good enough for me) you can get a reasonable picture of how many hours you were active per day with minimal effort.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sknss » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. I will definitely add glute bridges to my workout and maybe deadlifts too (they look scary).

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:19 pm

I would definitely recommend doing deadlifts. Or if not those, a similar lower back exercise. The most common complaint I hear from older people and often the single issue preventing them from doing physical activities or reducing their quality of life is a bad back. I often think of deadlifts as insurance for the future - strengthen the parts of the body that are most likely to deteriorate. Also on that note, my dad has been exercising for years and is pretty well muscled for a guy about to hit 60, but he has trouble doing very physical things because he's never trained his lower back. He does plenty of upper back exercises but never lower back, and that's the one thing holding him back now.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby adiabatic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm

Everybody loves deadlifts, but is being able to lift one plate that much better than regularly getting in some roman chair time?

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:27 pm

That's what I was trying to say with "a similar lower back exercise". Deadlifts are fun and challenging for those who like that kind of challenge but they're not the only lower back exercise by any means. I was moreso trying to emphasize not skipping lower back among the muscle groups worked by exercising.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby JewTurk » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:27 pm

JewTurk

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 am

pirxthepilot

Postby silvaeri » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:36 am

Not lifting, but this is the best fitness/hard physical shit thread we have.

This is unreal, Ondra sends the Dawn in half the time it to took Caldwell on his ascent push.

Hats off!

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby JewTurk » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:43 pm

JewTurk

Postby Cowboy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm

Started running most days of the week very proud of myself!

Cowboy

Postby costanza » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:09 pm

I've gotten some pain in my left shoulder while bench pressing and doing overhead press. How do I avoid this / excercise around it?

costanza

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:17 pm

check you're not flaring your shoulders out on the bench, keep them tucked in. bench is often just bad for the shoulder though, i seem to have caused myself damage from LT over-use.
stretch your pectorals out fully on a doorframe.
also strengthen your rotator cuff via both internal and external rotations.

pirxthepilot

Postby costanza » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it. My left shoulder has always been quite weak as I'm right handed and haven't excercised properly. After some googling I think I may be able to describe it a little better. It's like the tendon connecting and holding up my humeral head to my acromion and glenoid is a bit slack, so my arm 'hangs' a little on the tendon if you understand what I mean. It's around this tendon I get the pain. When I get tired late into the sets is when I sometimes experience pain. I don't know if I'm using the correct words I just used this picture as reference:

I'm going to try what you suggested, if the new info provided anything relevant I'd be happy to get more guidance.

costanza

Postby pirxthepilot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 am

the shoulder is very complicated and nobody knows what is going on in there when you perform a movement (even scans/surgery won't necessarily help much with this). first line response is to correct any possible imbalances that might be throwing it off. most likely: rotator cuff weakness (so, internal and external rotations with thera band), or overactive pectoral muscles ( door stretch several times a day, also get a golf ball and roll around on it, focusing on any knots in your pec)

pirxthepilot

Postby teck » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:19 pm

i got hurt the other day while doing jiu jitsu and someone rolled over my hand. i thought i had dislocated it but the injury is called "mallet finger" (the google search doesnt look too gross). it doesn't hurt or anything but i have to keep it completely immobilized (ie in a splint) for 8 weeks, 24 hours a day. i bought a bunch of different kinds of splints and hope that will work. treasure your health and injury-free bodies, people!

teck

Postby bels » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:54 am

Starting a new workout regime using THE JUGGERNAUT METHOD (TM) but feel like I'm missing something as my weight workouts only take like... 40 minutes? Has anyone got any cool ideas for extra shit I should do? I suspect if I double read the ebook (shout me for the PDF) it'll say i should be doing something mad like throwing a medicine ball across the gym but I'm not willing to breach health and safety protocols like that.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby talkin2snakes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 am

it looks fine, reasonably balanced i think. i don't bother with bench these days, and dont even do weights apart from squats/DLs, this stuff is much more enjoyable and it makes more sense to do whole body exercises rather than just working a single muscle group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsCmNxvKLs

obviously nobody can do that straight off, but the easier core movements and static holds would just be a progression from that programme anyway: like just hang from a bar and pike your knees up to your chest, then progres to these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g1hxdkulsE&t=202s

then simple static holds etc.

nb in comments people mentioning hannibal's skinny calves too #ROLEMODEL#BODYPOSI

Last edited by talkin2snakes on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
talkin2snakes

Postby talkin2snakes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:22 am

for planche progression i copied this, the socks on the wall stuff is helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbLSgWMJec

also doing the yoga frog position and holding is pretty good for helping you to understand the balance element. but mostly its just strength, not just shoulders etc but core/legs as well. so quite advanced

talkin2snakes

Postby Cowboy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:54 pm

I've been swimming 3x a week lately and have definitely slimmed down, to the point where I've been told I look it.

Have a belt in the mail because I'm worried about all my pantalones

Cowboy

Postby BadLuckCub » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 am

Your message contains too few characters.

Last edited by BadLuckCub on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadLuckCub

Postby can- » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:25 pm

anyone tried other flavors of ON bean energy that isnt double choc??

rocky road? mint choc? mocha cappuccino ?

can-

Postby silvaeri » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm

bike coach has me in the gym two days a week. super simple squats and deads routine with upperbody accessory lifts + core routine. feels good to be back in the gym. lifting extremely light weight rn but focused on form and slowly building weight back up

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:03 am

Curious for y'all's take on this

I'm running a cut right now (down to 200 from 225) with plans to continue to maybe 185-190. I'm very comfortable being hungry so it's a pretty severe cut, probably eating in the range of 1200 calories a day after bulking at over 4000. My wife was worried that I was shedding weight too fast so we both did some medical research on the health effects of quick vs slow weight loss and couldn't find much definitive information. I've dialed in what I think is too much - there was definitely a day or two I was starting to get light headed and couldn't concentrate but those were sub-1000kcal days, so I'm not trying to push it THAT far. Anyone have any experience here?

UnwashedMolasses

Postby maj » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am

No experience in "lifting specific advice", but Sub 500 calories from your daily expenditure is traditionally the maximum reccomended in sport/ general for weight loss unless you're aiming for a specific weight for a specific event. while you may feel fine cutting now for a fixed term you're more likely to rebound in weight when you finish the cut.

Weightloss for any goal is best achieved slowly and over a prolonged period of time to allow you to a) maintain current fitness and lifestyle b) not to rubber band in weight loss cycles.

1200 is low, especially if your job involves any form of physical activity, more so on days you're training. Unless you're aiming for a event/ race/ etc (even then you'd have to be taking it pretty serious) I'd relax a little.

maj

Lift things up and put them down

Postby BeJimmieBOB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:59 am

What an odd idea. Maybe it was thought up by someone who couldnt remember what they had and it was their way of keeping things separate. They can co-mingle amicably.

BeJimmieBOB

Previous

Return to Care