[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Coffee and tea-vee

Coffee and tea-vee

Off topic

Re: Coffee and tea-vee

Postby bikesarecool » Sun May 11, 2014 5:06 pm

i'm not a real coffee-head but a nice cup of black coffee in the morning is quite nice. i usually just use an aeropress. pretty simple and idiot-proof, except when i accidentally knock it over while using the upside-down technique.

bikesarecool

Postby silvaeri » Sun May 11, 2014 5:43 pm

shattered my french press (again) making cold press. opened the fridge door and out fell my press. :(

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby nick » Thu May 15, 2014 11:14 am

cold brewed coffee (served black ofc) is so great. I have a problem with drinking chai lattes etc far too fast for the exorbitant cost I paid, but a bitter cold brew lasts a while, fills me with extremely energy, and lives that delicious aftertaste in my mouth. yummm

edit: also, can I use this space to let you know how great of a drug caffeine is? can take me from depressed to pharrell williams happy playing on repeat in my head in 30 minutes

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby raags » Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 am

caffeine is a GREAT drug! you should try mixing it with l-theanine which is a natural compound present in tea (which the tea caffeine high feels different to the coffee caffeine high) which is clinically shown to have anti-anxiety effects while boosting the alertness part of coffee and reducing the 'edginess', and i think improving concentration too. it can also be nice to bring the edge off if you overcaffeinate yourself.

i love coffee so much but hate getting addicted to caffeine so i only will indulge a couple times a week. melbourne is such a great city for coffee! hmu if you come down for recommends or a coffee date (smiling)

raags
Best Dressed

Postby bels » Thu May 29, 2014 6:04 am

How much clean up is there with aero press compared to French press?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu May 29, 2014 1:36 pm

^ a lot less imo, after you've pressed out the coffee you pretty much get a coffee puck. usually a quick rinse and wipe will be good, no grounds should get stuck to the wall, only the rubber press seal.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby bouquet » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Going to piggyback on what said, I end up using my aeropress much more than my french press. The puck is real easy to shoot out after you're done making coffee, and you don't really have to take it apart and wash the individual parts, like a french press. An additional nice thing is (if you wanna worry about this type of thing) the ideal grind size for aeropress is generally more fine, making it easier to achieve an even grind (for even extraction). The even coarse grind needed for french press can be kinda hard to get with some grinders, leading to more fines in your cup.

bouquet

Postby bouquet » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Going to piggyback on what said, I end up using my aeropress much more than my french press. The puck is real easy to shoot out after you're done making coffee, and you don't really have to take it apart and wash the individual parts, like a french press. An additional nice thing is (if you wanna worry about this type of thing) the ideal grind size for aeropress is generally more fine, making it easier to achieve an even grind (for even extraction). The even coarse grind needed for french press can be kinda hard to get with some grinders, leading to more fines in your cup.

bouquet

Postby sick boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 pm

I wanted iced coffee and didn't want to wait for the french press. It worked alright.

sick boy

Postby sick boy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:50 pm

It was the last day of class before exams and commencement, so we celebrated with tea. Middle finger forgot to bring a cup.

sick boy

Postby can- » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 pm

I know this makes me a cretin but I fucking hate cold brew

can-

Postby bouquet » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Have you been making it yourself or getting it from a cafe? Is there something in specific about it that you don't like, or is cold coffee just not your thing?

bouquet

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 pm

What would be a good buy if I just wanted to make some 'better-than-starbucks' coffee?

All I've ever had from Starbucks was an Americano (espresso and hot water right...?) so is there anything I could buy to make my own espresso then just water it down? I'm interested but need some direction.

JewTurk

Postby g2x222 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 pm

g2x222

Postby sick boy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 pm

A moka pot will make something decent and espresso-like

sick boy

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:40 pm

JewTurk

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:50 pm

^ espresso is coffee that is finely ground and extracted under 9 bar of pressure, to amount to about 2 oz for a normal, average shot.

you won't make good espresso unless you are willing to drop $$$ on a good machine. if you absolutely want espresso, the gaggia classic is one of the home machines that is highly recommeneded.

otherwise, aeropress & moka pot are probably the closest thing you can get to espresso w/o buying a legitimate machine, although these are still rather watery compared with real espresso (i don't remember exactly but these methods will extract around 1.5 bar pressure as a comparison). you can make something americano-like with these two methods.

one more thing i just remembered, invest in a good burr grinder. imo, the biggest difference you can make in brewing is getting a good grind.

fun_yunchables

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 pm

JewTurk

Postby can- » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:44 am

can-

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:09 am

Kombucha and almond milk is seriously delicious.

JewTurk

Postby 7737 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:24 am

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:33 am

JewTurk

Postby 7737 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 pm

....I tried it. Curdled a little bit. Is delicious.

tl;dr taste like creamsicle.

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Beautiful, I'd feel terrible if you just instantly started vomiting.

It's become a daily drink for me. I don't even do it for the supposed health benefits, it's just really good.

JewTurk

Postby Syeknom » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:57 pm

- written in the 1830s by Honoré de Balzac.

Syeknom

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:11 pm

@

JewTurk

Postby JewTurk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:14 am

I'm going to start brewing my own Kombucha. I need something to keep me busy.

JewTurk

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:20 am

I dropped my ceramic v60 and it broke

r i p

fun_yunchables

Postby cormac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:41 pm

Just won an Ebay bid for a gently used Bodum Bistro. I don't need to use the old blade grinder sitting around my kitchen anymore!

cormac

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Got two kombucha batches under my belt now. I bottled the last one and gave it to friends asking what they'd like me to use as the next tea and what I could add to flavor it etc.

JewTurk

PreviousNext

Return to Care