[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Coffee and tea-vee

Coffee and tea-vee

Off topic

Re: Coffee and tea-vee

Postby deadkitty » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:07 pm

deadkitty

Postby dbcooper » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Last edited by dbcooper on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbcooper

Postby Suquida » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:34 am

Switched it up at my haunt and just got a shot of espresso instead of the usual cortado, you know it's a fancy place because they gave me seltzer water. There were pretty noticeable hints of raspberry in it and it was delicious.

Also, if you could see my laptop screen, you'd see me asking lunchables "ok, what is the spoon for, how do I drink this without looking like some stupid gump"

Suquida

Postby Suquida » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:21 pm

it's to push the crema into the coffee and to make you look sophisticated

Suquida

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:33 pm

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby vgtbls » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:22 am

is crema the same as cream? how do you pronounce it? creama? crayma? crehma?

My usual coffee is made in a Mr. Coffee coffeemaker. After I forget about it and it's cold, I usually put it in the microwave for 36 seconds. This really brings out the bitterness. I like to add almond milk, usually as much as needed to fill up the mug.

My Dunkin order is a medium caramel iced coffee with cream (crema?). The place up the road really overdoes it on the caramel and it's great.

I don't have a Starbucks order, I like to pick a drink at random off the menu. I tried their cold brew and it was waaaayyy too much caffeine.

vgtbls

Postby can- » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:26 pm

crema is not cream, it's the foamy expression of espresso created in the initial extraction that floats on top of the espresso. it's called crema because it's lighter in color and has a thicker, creamier texture.

i recommend you rub a little grease from your nose onto the crema to disperse it.

can-

Postby sknss » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:05 pm

why do you make it seem so complicated

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby nevergreen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:03 pm

i use my parent's regular coffeemaker but i wanna try something else. i'm looking at an aeropress vs chemex. does anyone have an onion on which is better than the other?

nevergreen

Postby vgtbls » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:16 pm

vgtbls

Postby bels » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:28 pm

In the globally ruined future will we have coffee and tea or nah?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Started using a Freedom Press but I should buy a smaller one. Trying to explore coffee in Chicago. Right now I'm drinking something from Bow Tuss. I need to learn how to discern tastes.

SisterRayVU

Postby meatjacket » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 pm

What do you guys recommend as far as coffee beans?

I think I'm lookin for a light roast, would love something w fruity notes but down to try anything

meatjacket

Postby fun_yunchables » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:21 pm

watched this, its really well produced. even if you're not a super hardcore coffee geek, i think its still a good watch, and it might just make you appreciate the amount of work that really goes into a cup of coffee.

fun_yunchables

Postby zigfip » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 am

This just came out:
https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/blog/gr ... -cold-brew
And I'm pretty excited to try and get one. Really don't know much about coffee to be honest but everyone I've talked to hyped this thing up so I feel like I can't go wrong. Maybe someone can explain more about this Gesha stuff?

zigfip

Postby meatjacket » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:07 am

found a frother at my local thrift shop for $1

celebrated w a nice latte

meatjacket

Postby deadkitty » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:49 pm

deadkitty

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:48 pm

adding onto deadkitty's reply, this is kind of what i've learned re: science of coffee:

gesha is a varietal which is usually valued for its distinct floral and citrus tasting notes. so most people tend to roast and brew gesha in a way to highlight that flavor, ie filter coffee.

gesha is actually an african coffee which was transplanted into latin america (it's actually the name of a region in ethiopia). the thing is there are so many variations of coffee in africa alone, which is why you commonly see african coffees referred by the region the trees are in (yirgacheffe, guji, sidama, etc etc). but many famed geshas are in fact from latin american farms such as finca el injerto.

cold brewing as a method of coffee brew tends to even out extractions. i think i might have talked about it in a previous post, but the primary compounds which give coffee it's flavor are acids, sugars, and bitters. acid molecules are smaller than sugars which are smaller than bitters, so typically the diffusion of acids is on a faster time scale than that of the sugar and bitter molecules. when you increase the temperature of the medium (the water), the difference in diffusion speed is magnified. conversely, when the temperature decreases, the diffusion rates grow closer to one another. maybe a numerical example might make this clearer?

say for 98C we have acids extracting at 10, sugars extracting at 5, and bitters extracting at 3 (unitless, just for the concept). when we brew at 12C, it might be closer to acids being 4, sugars 3.5, and bitters 2. so the coffee you brew is much more evened out. now for a gesha, balance is something that brewers might not initially think about, as the desire is to highlight that natural floral and citrus flavors--for the most part, acidic compounds. a cold brew will lead to a more balanced brew, while typical filter coffee at higher temperatures allows us to extract more of the nice acids without too much in the way of sugar and bitters.

re: peets' (stumptown's) gesha cold brew, i'm a little skeptical but i think everything is worth at least a try. might be pleasantly surprised by the complexity of gesha cold brew, but who really knows until you try it?

edit: woops made a mistake in the numerical example, fixed now!

Last edited by fun_yunchables on Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fun_yunchables

Postby zigfip » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Thanks for the explanations guys. I'll try to get my hands on some and report back, but apparently it's like $30 a bottle and I'm sure every person in Portland right now is trying to get some so we'll see how it goes.

zigfip

Postby lotion » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:30 am

who knew coffee was this deep

lotion

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:22 pm

who knew clothing was this deep

appreciate if you exercised some tact, thanks

fun_yunchables

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 am

damn
this is like everything i could wish for x-post to skateboarding
it's fully functional too with a china bones red

(hiroshi sawada is the dude behind streamer coffee in japan. also a latte art champ)

fun_yunchables

Postby ptozzi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Just used my Aeropress for the first time. This thing's awesome!

How do you guys heat up your water?
And how many of you brew by weight?

ptozzi

Postby fun_yunchables » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:26 pm

heating up water is pretty generic, just boil water and let it cool to the right temperature (or +1 degree centigrade if you're planning on transferring the water from the boiling water vessel to the kettle, it cools as you pour it)

the main thing to keep in mind is that depending on your kettle you might not want to put it under direct heat or not (more notably if you have expensive kettles like the kalita wave pot or the takahiro kettle etc), it mainly causes the pot to look less attractive because of the oxidation of the metal, but otherwise doesn't do anything qualitatively with the water as far as i'm aware.

as far as temperature goes, that's for experimentation. the main thing is don't use boiling water straight because at that point you'll be scalding the coffee and it'll just taste burnt. but other than that, aeropress has such a good (not sure if intentional) design with respect to brewing, it's very difficult to get a terrible cup from aeropress.

brewing by weight isn't entirely necessary, but it allows you to be extremely consistent with brewing. if you're more a type of "close is good enough" kind of person, i wouldn't bother. if you're off by a little bit you probably won't notice extremely differing tastes to your coffee (in math terms, i guess we'd call brewing coffee well-posed oh god i'm such a nerd) unless your palate is pretty well developed as is

fun_yunchables

Postby meatjacket » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:42 am

forgot about this thread, i got this mr coffee espresso machine, how do i make sure i am making my coffee correctly? is there a "correct" way?

I think i end up adding too much or not enough water. Its delicious so far.

meatjacket

Postby Ques » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 am

did you go to any cool coffee shops when you were in beijing? im tired of drinking starbucks

Ques

Postby mike868y » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 am

i really really miss my time as a barista in college. such good times and so much more rewarding than a desk job :/

wtb: xs EG navy tropical wool andover, grey wool hartford jacket, wool glen check andover, brown cord andover, b2b in brown/navy twill plaid, sz8.5 yuteken peanut suede/crepe sole loafers, size 27/28 unis gio skinny
mike868y

Postby ptozzi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:28 pm

ptozzi

Postby sknss » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:58 pm

is it common for americans to not own a kettle?? you can get an temperature controlled one.

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby nevergreen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:39 pm

on christmas when i got the aeropress i didn't know what i was doing so i brewed two really terrible cups of coffee. until yesterday i had been avoiding caffeine and consequently haven't used it since then. after looking up some different techniques to brew i tried again. it makes some mean coffee. i can't drink it black, but after adding some creamer and sugar it's soooo good the flavors are so balanced i was really amazed. my mom tried it and had the same reaction. this thing is awesome i have been converted.

i think the grinder in my house is just a bit too coarse, but it still works well. rn i'm only using starbucks beans as well so higher quality coffee would be all the better. a couple of my friends are big fans of coffee too. i'm gonna take this thing over to their house and make them a cup it's just soooo incredibly easy. thanks for the rec everyone

nevergreen

PreviousNext

Return to Care