[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Coffee and tea-vee

Coffee and tea-vee

Off topic

Re: Coffee and tea-vee

Postby Vaeltaja » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:21 am

To anyone doing low carb: I present low carb milk tea...

20 oz cup, 1:1 ratio iced black tea and iced coffee. Fill most of the cup with ice and then add a bit of heavy cream, maybe 1 tablespoon. Throw in 4 packets of Splenda and stir. For better results, shake up the tea and coffee mixture before adding. Tastes just like a cup of milk tea.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby jrisk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 am

has anyone experienced 3rd wave shops with extremely high prices for pourovers? George Howell in boston uses kalita waves and they price their 12oz cups at $6 which is pretty outrageous. Honestly, I wonder if this might be a sign of the timess ince it does seem like pourovers as a style of brewing coffee is on the decline. It is one of those time-intensive tasks that don't really allow you to easily multi-task while making it. Also... they even had a $8 pourover option for one of their exclusive single origins. to say the least, I didn't notice them selling a single pourover during the time I was there.

and then when I was last at the George Howell cafe in Newtonville, I got a pourover without realizing it was $6 and it took them forever to make. The barista abandoned it in the chemex after brewing before the manager finally came over and poured it into a cup for me. too bad I had already tipped. :/

jrisk

Postby bels » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:42 am

Can a shop be considered 3rd wave if it doesn't have pound/$8 coffee?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:52 am

can-

Postby jrisk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:15 pm

yea, these were definitely not geishas. those, I'd pay that much for.

I guess they just don't have the traffic for it at their stores. maybe if they had more demand they'd be able to have a dedicated person handling pourovers. but then again, there's not gonna be a demand at those prices lmao.

jrisk

Postby sid3000 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 pm

Ive paid $6 for kyoto cold brew multiple times but I can understand that since it takes like 16 hours of brew time and is more concentrated. But yea I agree with can- , unless it is something exceptionally seasonal from a more independent roaster you want to support, it seems silly to pay more than $5 for something like an arabica at Stumptown. Im more concerned with the outrageousness of single shots climbing to $4 at some places Ive hit up lately.

Last edited by sid3000 on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid3000

Postby anotherdayhere » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 pm

If you're going to charge $6 for any 12oz or less drink you better be paying your baristas well. There isn't a single shop in Pittsburgh that goes over $4 for a pourover that isn't a geisha or limited varietal, no one in coffee makes shit here though.

On the other side, those from Philly, what are your opinions with shops in Philadelphia? I was there over the weekend and the only good shot I got was from Rival Bros, I went at least 10 shops total, including the highest rated 'specialty' ones and got many super hot drinks with no attempts at latte art, seems like a very interesting and unexpected attitude from a huge city.

where I went:
elixir
reanimator (okay shot)
green street
menagerie
OCF
Ox (okay shot, good milk drinks)
One Shot
Hubbub
and at least two more I don't remember.

anotherdayhere

Postby ptozzi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:25 pm

It seems like this thread left of with a discussion of coffee pricing, which is something I've been thinking about. What's your upper limit for a 12 oz bag of whole beans? I recently bought my most expensive bag yet ($18) but haven't got a chance to taste it. I'm gonna try my hand at making some Japanese style iced coffee with it later today. Curious about what other people consider (too) expensive or (too) cheap.

On a different note: is anyone interested in having another go at a coffee share? did a great job last time, but I could facilitate it this time if there are enough interested participants. Found a new roaster near by that I'd love to share with one of you.

ptozzi

Postby fun_yunchables » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:33 am

i don't think i'd be willing to pay more than $4 for a cup (maybe a little more depending on where the coffee shop is, rent ain't cheap and i get that) unless it was a 95+ cup of excellence. most of these rated beans are sold at auction (like gesha, some bourbon varietals, etc), and it's anyone's guess to how expensive it might get. i also think in years where weather conditions, disease, or infestation is quite prevalent, i would be willing to pay a little more as i would expect coffee pricing go up too.

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby julius » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:47 am

A number of the places in France had insane prices. Where it was available in Paris, chemex was priced at ~8euros. Wasn't spectacular and it took forever tooo. In regards to beans, I spend ~15 for the La Colombe beans my local cafe gets.

Recently, if I didn't make it, then I'm drinking those slow-drip brews. Does anyone know how to make it at home though? I've only seen the large Yama kit on amazon, which is what I see the cafes use, and a smaller one from bruer. Any alternatives?

julius

Postby ptozzi » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:59 pm

: Japanese style iced coffee is done directly onto ice so it cools instantly as it drips onto the ice cubes. I think the "proper" method is done with a pour over set-up but I've done it with my aeropress and it worked fine. Just replace some of the water in a normal brew recipe with an equal mass of ice in your server/mug. replacing half seems like too much, 1/3 seems to work better while still sufficiently cooling the coffee.

My recipe:

100 g ice in mug (this is hard to get exactly right unless you use crushed ice from an ice maker)
20 g coffee + 40 g water to bloom
wait for coffee to degass
additional 160 g water
stir and let brew for 1:15
plunge for 15s

ptozzi

Postby trichomatic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm

current tea stockpile, various greens, blacks and herbal stuff

what i use for loose leaf

Also just recently got into homebrewing coffee as well (you can catch a peak at the grinder box in the background).
Pretty basic setup right now with a cheapo french press and small ceramic hand grinder, on the lookout for some good local beans.

trichomatic

Postby smiles » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:32 am

Hey there coffee gurus I have a technical question.

I bought this little guy for making coffee at home: snow peak coffee dripper

and in the interest of not wasting paper filters I bought some cloth filters. These turned out to be the replacement flannel filters for a hario woodneck dripper.

I've been looking up the best technique for pour over and nel drip (ネルドリップ) and I can't figure out which process I should use. Does the shape of the snow peak dripper necessitate the pour over timing/grind/etc or should I defer to the flannel cloth and use the nel drip style? I also got a little grinder guy so I can change the grind easily.

insane question I know.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby dakaf_fal » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:48 am

I've taken to compiling a list of tasting notes for the unfortunate swill available for consumption at work. I'm talking about this stuff:

I find it fascinating to see the range of flavors that can come out of a single canister of preground coffee.

My personal favorites so far are burnt popcorn, shoe leather, ozone, and old socks.

dakaf_fal

Postby dakaf_fal » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:34 pm

David Lynch's coffee commercials are the best.

dakaf_fal

Postby JewTurk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:43 am

Vietnamese drip coffee is so damn good. Trung Nguyen grinds are amazing and probably the first cup of coffee where I actually noticed some other flavors in my coffee. I'm noticing the coffee I tend towards is "espresso-like", italian stove-top and vietnamese drip are the only things I have anymore.

A roastery is opening up half a block from one of my jobs and I'm super excited to check them out/have a place to buy beans on a regular basis.

Any other espresso-like methods I should try?

JewTurk

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 am

god thats a painfully slow nel drip

there's an entire garrastyle series including stuff that's not coffee. highly recc you watch them, very therapeutic and you might learn something new

fun_yunchables

Postby plaidappendix » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Started drinking coffee daily recently and its already kind of messing me up. Dont feel great if I dont get a cup or two a day. Generally drink my Dad's Cafe Bustelo, not sure what kind of reputation that has but I like it fine. I also throw back like 5 cups of non caffeinated herbal tea a day, usually peppermint.

plaidappendix

Postby ramseames » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Knocked over my fucking chemex last month and it shattered. Swear they're like 50% more expensive today than when I bought it.

Happened to have a snow peak folding pour over sitting around though so I've just been using that with these beans that my neighbour who's a major investor in matchstick (solid local roaster) brought around and it's been great actually.

Chemex is fun and nice to look at but in a lot of ways it's just a hassle cleaning it every time and I'm not brewing more than 1-2 cups so the size wasn't helpful. Doubt I'll replace it.

ramseames

Postby anotherdayhere » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm

this is my only theatre to humble brag so here we go... pour has been entering generally acceptable range, working on some different stuff but been taking videos for our shops instagram. :woop:

anotherdayhere

Postby posh_somme » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:26 pm

what pourover (v60) methods are people using? there's a lot of pseudoscience around coffee that makes it impossible to find any single method that people agree with, almost everybody seems to have their own method. i know my local cafe "experiments" with each coffee which is great but when you're grinding the coffee using a hand grinder it takes ages to make a single cup, on top of coffee being expensive.

my go to method is generally to wet the paper, put 22g of coffee in the cone, make a small divot in the middle with my finger, pour on 50ml and then stir in the first 15 seconds. then i'll wait 30 seconds before pouring 70ml in a small circle in the middle, waiting 10-15 then 60ml, waiting again, pouring again etc. until i hit 320ml. i'll let it extract until about 3 minutes 30 seconds

i'm generally pleased with how this tastes but it's hard to tell if i'm getting the best out of my coffee without the roasters tasting it and telling me

i'm lucky enough to live a bus ride away from a decent roaster so i'll give them a visit and report back on what they say about methods. any input here would be grand though

posh_somme

Postby ptozzi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 am

ptozzi

Postby alby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 pm

i do 28g to 415g h2o. 50g of h2o for the bloom, let bloom for 45s or so, then go to 415. no stirring as that's too involved for me as im usually rushing to get out of the house

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:24 pm

i do a 13g/225g ratio but i also brew with kalita so ymmv

honestly good enough for your taste is all you need. there are so many variables at play like the bean age, fluctuations in water temp, grind size, etc. if you really want the sort of consistency to optimize your coffee you're probably better off getting a better grinder rather than to grasp straws at brewing method tbh

fun_yunchables

Postby anotherdayhere » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 pm

recently got third place at the annual pgh latte art throwdown! feels good to have tangible recognition for my dedication to the craft or whatever, been feeling good about working in coffee recently, but hard to take myself super seriously in a city where pay isn't competitive (or better/equal to any other segment of food/drink service) and the coffee scene is exploding at an unsustainable rate. Coffee is very fun and I enjoy myself but the dichotomy between respect from my peers and a lack of respect from customers for both the product and me sometimes bums me out. I am glad to be in school and know this is not my final destination but coffee represents so many positive things I wish it could be.

anotherdayhere

Postby Benson » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:16 pm

I tried so many good teas in Japan. I've been having lots of Genmaicha since I've been home (first pic). Does anybody know what the default tea they serve at Matsuya is called? It's a brown tea and nobody I've shown the picture to seems to have an idea (second pic).

ImageImage

Benson

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:56 pm

can u describe the taste? brown tea isnt really descriptive plus the lighting doesnt help. might be mugicha. its good for your skin

fun_yunchables

Postby Benson » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Benson

Coffee and tea vee

Postby ivanmuh » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:25 pm

ok, Im not really a coffee drinker. I love ice coffees from dunkins and recently switched to "decaf" ice coffees.

If I made homemade ice tea at home, am I going back to a caffeinated drink?

ivanmuh

Postby Ques » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm

i love buckwheat tea

Ques

PreviousNext

Return to Care