[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Technology

Technology

Off topic

Re: Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Postby pips » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:08 am

I def wont be getting an iPhone because it's too expensive but I actually really like the way it looks despite the fact that my friends are staunch iPhone bashers. Other contenders are Samsung S4 or a Note 3 or an HTC but a Nexus sounds like a good idea too. At $350 it's a pretty good deal I think? Dont have any experience with smartphones...

pips

Postby jrisk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 am

If you can, pips, I'd either try some phones of people you know or go try out a whole bunch at a store. All android powered phones are different and it's hard to tell what you really like in a phone without the hands-on.

jrisk

Postby bels » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 am

I'd just get whichever seems like a good deal. Life is too short to worry much about what phone you get.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Is there an app that will auto dl me bbc podcasts?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

I think BeyondPod does this? I use OneCast but it doesn't autodownload. I'm hoping a lot of podcasts will jump on BitTorrent Sync -- the only one that does now is The No Agenda Show.

Have you got any podcast recommendations bela?

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby jrisk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I use Player FM for my podcasts. It's free and it autodownloads. You can search and easily add podcasts. I quick searched for BBC and I spotted a ton, not sure what you have in mind specifically, Bela. If not you can paste in RSS feeds.

jrisk

Postby bels » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:22 pm

In Our Time
Building A library

Enjoyed the recent Reith Lectures with Grayson Perry

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:45 pm

tech always gets me up in arms as it's outdated so fast it feels like a vicious cycle.

i'm currently in the market for something small i can throw in my bag and pull out while out and about/school and around £400 to do basic word documents/web search/ irc/ netflix. i seem to have narrowed it down to:

lenovo thinkpad 14'' refurb: the pros of this is it looks steezy as fuck, can easily upgrade to make it better over time. only downside is it's already a year or so behind in performance steaks and it's only going to get worse but then again with an ssd and a minimal operating system it can't really get 'much' faster can it?

ipad mini: it's like the cooler younger brother of the bigger ipad and nearly as powerful, great thing about apple is there operating system/design doesn't really age so there is no real pressure to upgrade. that said i fucking hate itunes but i do use spotify exclusively so it shouldn't be too bad. design wise throw a black case on it it'll look just as tacticool as the lenovo.

nexus 7: it's like a cosco ipad but 200 or 170 in sales is tempting. has the draw backs of google design is fucking awful and it looks visually worse than the ipad (looks is a big thing for me) but other than that it's the same.

i've seen reviews of each online and all say it's great but i trust you guys more, anyone handled for comparison?

maj

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I think it's unusual that you like the look of the Lenovo. There's a certain set of people who are diehard fans of the old IBM thinkpad (now Lenovo) that keep their business going (usually enterprise).

Anyway, that model is going to give you nothing but regret.

It really depends what kind of person you are. If you think Google is ugly, go with Apple. Personally I agree in some sense but I feel like Google Now has actually changed my life for the better. Today I asked it to remind me to take a pill and it asked if I'd like to be reminded at a certain time or when I get to a certain place. I wanted to be reminded when I got home, and sure enough it worked perfectly.

Anyway.

I love the Nexus line, so I'd buy that - but the iPad mini is probably the best post-pc product they do. It's just a matter of taste really.

Not very helpful.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby rjbman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 pm

What about a chromebook? Should handle all the stuff you mentioned.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby bels » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:15 am

14 inch think pad is gigantic compared to the other two. Way too big to just throw in a bag

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:04 pm

thanks guys, think i'm going to get the ipad mini with that dsptch case as it's pretty sick.

maj

Postby kill-9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:51 pm

I got my Samsung Note 3 a couple weeks back. It's pretty dam big, but it at least fits in my jean pockets.

helps with hitting diagonals in puzzle and dragons.

kill-9

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:42 am

I love the Note 3. It's so huge and dorky but I can't get over how much more usable it is than anything I've had previously. I actually use the s-pen regularly and the battery means I can ACTUALLY watch films on all my commutes and still go a full day + without charge.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:49 am

Theres a big fucking crack in my macbook air screen and it's bumming me out so bad.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby germinal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 am

i bought one of these "smartphone" things

recommend me some apps please

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:27 am

Super Hexagon, a note taking app (evernote, google keep) sleep tracker (electric sleep or sleepbot) then just the standard things like what's app (line is cooler but noone uses it) and instagram.

I use aviary to stick hearts on my face. I have all the main "advanced" camera apps and none of them make me happy so I vote against them. Maybe vsco ben.

Worth having the google "what's this song" widget nearby for the 1 time a year you'll want it.

Just make sure you get super hexagon.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Simplenote is the best note taking app I've ever tried.

If you have Android there's piracy apps that let you just download music whenever you want. Think mines called simple mp3 downloader.

1 second everyday is masturbatory but I'm enjoying it thus far

ramseames

Postby ballast » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:42 pm

http://techland.time.com/2014/02/26/goo ... martphone/

hope this comes out in my lifetime.

ballast

Postby rjbman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I'm starting to look for a replacement phone. I've got an iPhone 4S right now which still serves me fine, but I was looking into some Android phones. Thought I'd wait and get the Galaxy S5 but frankly not impressed.

The two I've got my eye on right now are the S4 and the Nexus 5. Anyone got any other suggestions, or care to weigh in on those two?

rjbman

Postby inherently » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 pm

i've got an S4:

battery life is decent, lasts about a day with moderate/heavy use and power-saving turned on.

i've been having problems with calls, and my mic will stop working or something weird. turning speaker mode on/off fixes it but it's really annoying.

it has some bells and whistles but i don't really use any of it.

inherently

Postby brlmski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:20 pm

I've recently started taking notes on my HP touchpad and after seeing my friend use his Surface Pro to take notes, I really want a surfce to take notes with since you can actually rest your palm on the screen with that thing. Do any of you who are still students use a tablet to take notes in class?

@rjbman I have a nexus 5 and the battery lasts me a day+ (if I forget to charge it at night, it will normally last me until I get home around lunch time).

brlmski

Postby rjbman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Wearables are fantastic. Debating making thread just for them.

. Pretty similar to Glass, with the whole Google Now popping up relevant info when it thinks you need it.

Really digging the Moto 360 by Motorola in particular. Praying for a retail <$150.

EDIT: more pics.

Last edited by rjbman on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjbman

Postby rjbman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Also what are people's thoughts on Google Glass? Not just as a fashion statement (this is care), but also as a technology and as a change to social interactions in general.

Might have been spurred by my ability to try it out last Friday.

rjbman

Postby fraxcell » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm not sure what to think about it yet. On one hand, I would love to be able to record moments from my daily life with the ease offered by Glass. But I can see why people are uncomfortable with the idea that they could be recorded at any moment without their knowledge. In its current form, I would be surprised if Glass became widely accepted socially.

Outside of video recording, I'm not sure how many other features would really be more useful on Glass than a smartphone. GPS might be cool, but for texting or browsing reddit I think would prefer my phone. Definitely interested to see how the technology progresses in the next few years though.

fraxcell

Postby rjbman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Agree with the recording thing. I'm pretty sure that's why they've made it make a LOUD clicking sound for photos.

I don't think it's a phone replacement re:reddit/websites. Texting though i could see it handling fine given voice control.

rjbman

Postby Thomnd » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 am

I love the idea of google glass being a first step towards augmented reality/transhumanism...but it is just a cell phone strapped to your face right now. I can't wait until we get to the point of recording experiences and being able to play them back like memories. Hope it happens in my lifetime; I've got a terrible memory.

Thomnd

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 am

Re: glass I'm totally for it. It's completely dorky but it's just a matter of time. Once they're mountable on regular frames I plan for STORY to be the first to offer bespoke, proper nice, hand made spectacles for it.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby rjbman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Seems pretty decent, especially given the price. Bet they're relying on people paying for Prime for the streaming.

rjbman

Postby g2x222 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:42 pm

looks pretty interesting. It's a free device, but I'm guessing it's only available to people in the Amazon Fresh markets (socal, sfbay, sea). I wonder how it handles generic items like "guitar strings" or "chocolate chips"...

g2x222

PreviousNext

Return to Care