[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Technology

Technology

Off topic

Re: Technology

Postby bels » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:31 am

The 5x is bigger than an iPhone 6s apparently.

I hate big phones.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:41 am

bobbin says big phones are alright but this is the one thing I disagree with him about. Big phones are NOT alright.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:53 am

I have a big phone and it's alright.

Syeknom

Postby g2x222 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:28 am

Check your average-to-large size hands privilege

The iPhone 6/6s is already too big for my hands and pockets, nevermind the PLUS models. I want a SMALLER phone

g2x222

Postby bels » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 pm

For the record, my hands are of average size.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm

In 5 years they're (apple / google / someone) going to release a 4.5" phone and everyone will be applauding the revolutionary decision to switch away from the common, monstrous behemoths.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby ramseames » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:02 pm

Z5 compact looks pretty great

Problem with small phones is you lose all that battery space but you still want them to do all the stuff the big ones do

ramseames

Postby Noah » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 pm

I still don't have the new emojis

Noah

Postby Cowboy » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi

I absolutely shattered my laptops screen.

Curious to know the easiest way to transfer the hard drive to a new computer?

It's a toshiba is the only information I can give

Thanks

Cowboy

Postby ptozzi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:03 pm

ptozzi

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 am

i know nothing about this stuff but nerd gossip says apple gonna release a higher spec 4" model next month, good news if correct because my old 5s is running down and I can't stand big phones

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:37 am

god please. If apple make a 4" phone the rest of the market will probably follow.

My phone is living out its last days but the older it gets the more i like it

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 am

New chrome for android update has a tabs button next to the URL bar

Much appreciated

ramseames

Postby popcorn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:51 am

I need a personal laptop for college, and specs don't actually matter since they have matlab on the school computers.

Give me recommendations!! I have too many choices and the only video game I want to run is Civilization. What is the jcrew of laptops?

popcorn

Postby ramseames » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:35 pm

i don't get why apple didn't go all in with usb c and put it on the 7

if you buy the newest macbook (the 12", updated in april so likely not due for a refresh for 6-8 months) and a 7 you'll have a laptop with 2 different ports that don't work with the headphones that came with your phone

comes across like the mobile and computing people are not really working together on keeping the ecosystem streamlined

edit:

would also have been a really crushing piece of marketing to play up "one port. all your devices"

and then make a show of having wall chargers that work with computers and phones (im sure this is doable), usb c to hdmi and stuff for your monitor, literally everything with the same universally compatible standard

ramseames

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 pm

Fingerprint reader integrated into the power button on the side is the most poppin feature

Didn't know I would care about it before but I don't think I could buy a phone without it now

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby adiabatic » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:46 pm

USB-C is noticeably thicker than Lightning when you're talking about phone thicknesses. If Apple were to move to USB-C on their phones they'd likely have to switch back to Lightning within five years because they keep making the things thinner and lighter.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby freddy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Should I build a QNAP 4-bay NAS or a (GNU)linux file server? The primary use will be creating an accessible media service that I can SSH into through at least a 50/50 Mbps to 750/750mbps fiber internet connection.

With this, should I go for a custom-built pfsense solution or Ubquiti Edgerouter Lite for firewall,VPN, routing? I already have the ERL. Also, any recommendation for a 4-8 port non-enterprise switch?

I'm looking at 4x 8TB NAS drives

freddy

Postby adiabatic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:42 am

The — not that you know them — rave about the they were given a while back as part of a promotion and have repeatedly said they'd happily buy new ones with their own money, even years afterward. "" is frequently mentioned.

Who will be connecting to this, and where from? Inside one house only (easy to secure) or at least one person from anywhere (meaning you're going to have to become a real sysadmin in short order)?

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby freddy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 pm

I hear Synology is inferior to QNAP NAS. Yes, essentially I would like to stream via the Plex interface. It will be mainly me connecting to it remotely when I hypothetically travel in the future. This will be a Verizon Fios connection to an apartment. I'm also looking for it to handle many UDP(?) connections as a seedbox. I also would like my routing solution to allow me to potentially configure crypto-mining rigs remotely as well. I'm leaning towards a pre-built NAS solution for simplicity's sake. However part of me wants to build on my (or the lack thereof) sysadmin skills as well.

freddy

Postby adiabatic » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 pm

If you have an extra computer lying around, I'd throw Linux on it and then learn to git gud at sysadminning. Later, once you've gotten the kinks worked out, you can buy something with eight 3.5" drive bays in it.

Or you can decide, based on firsthand experience, that this sort of thing is too hard to do nicely with a nice UI on the phone and get a NAS.

adiabatic

Postby freddy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 pm

I don't have a spare econo-box to run a Linux distro. The positive sides for this is to def become boss at using the CLI. I tried to mess with ubuntu a long time ago (wanted to build skills become a RHCE-focused admin) but gave up because of the lack of driver support for my laptop, even for a Lenovo thinkpad.

However, I don't have the home theater equip yet or elsewhere to utilize massive media storage. (4K would be a waste of bit-rate bandwidth streaming to my mobile devices due to the 1080p resolution) Really, this would be media-centric server. I don't need CPU computing power for any specific applications beyond decoding 4K HD or large RAM for virtualization home lab. And with non-ASIC crypto-mining, I'd have to build rigs and install etherOS which presumably I'd have to "get gud" at the CLI anyways. The downside is that if I build a econo-fileserver I'd probably want to setup a reliable hardware RAID-5, which is going to add-up to the cumulative total.

Therefore, now I'm thinking about picking up a QNAP 2-bay econo-NAS for $99 that's is on-sale at Frys (if they ever restock online) and keep using my 10/2mbps econo-internet, if not upgrade to 50/50mbps Fios to take advantage of the 100mb/s NAS's sustained read/write speeds. For the price and time-cost benefit, it's probably be more worthwhile to hold off until I really need develop sysyadmin skills. Worse case is that I just sign-up for DigitalOcean hosting and configure a cloud-droplet of CentOS remotely if need be. Thanks for thinking out loud with me.

freddy

Postby vgtbls » Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 am

I'm already dreading the next phone upgrade. iPhone 8 probably won't have the 3.5mm jack, and Android O's emojis are so so so so bad. Can someone break up these tech companies already?

vgtbls

Postby adiabatic » Fri May 26, 2017 11:20 am

I would say "you should have been the fourth person to buy a Windows Phone", but I've updated my win10 machines to the Creators Update and the looks like indistinct hot garbage.

adiabatic

Postby deadkitty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 pm

deadkitty

Postby rjbman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm

New iPhones - the 8/8+ look to be pretty much a typical upgrade more akin to an "S". The X is certainly different, but gonna hold off and see how people actually like using the FaceID stuff and lack of home button.

Qi wireless charging though!

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby brlmski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm

brlmski

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm

I watched the livestream as usual and while I know there's a lot of incredible new underlying tech and software in the X I found it all really underwhelming. Maybe it's because most of it was leaked, maybe it's because I'm tired of Apple acting like they invented tech that's been on the market for years or (more likely) maybe I'm just bored of phones. I was really hoping I'd have a reason to upgrade my iPhone 6 but I'll just wait another year.

One thing I did enjoy, however, is how they made a point of calling out their green credentials after each physical product.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby tweefwend » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:35 am

me the next few months:

iPhone X is easily the best product under Tim Cook so far

Face ID looks incredible, amazing tech there. Slimmer but taller phone is nice; Right in-between 8/8+ sizes. OLED display looks gorgeous in all the demo videos. New display color profiles are always exciting. A11 chip is stupid fast. Like its kind of insane the specs seen in these benchmark tests. AR demos were gimmicky of course, but glad to see Apple pushing for it (the constellation demo bit was cool)

Watch 3 is neat. Now I can call ppl from the ocean. "Hold up about to get fucking barreled." Sick feature

I think Steve wouldn't even bother putting out an iPhone 8 and its especially unlike Tim to have such a wide lineup of devices. Much too cluttered now

tweefwend

PreviousNext

Return to Care