[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - homes, houses, and abodes n plants

homes, houses, and abodes n plants

Off topic

Re: homes, houses, and abodes

Postby germinal » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

germinal
Garminlad

Postby thomaspaine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:55 pm

Man I'm jelly of you Europeans and all your days off. I can't remember the last time I took a real vacation that wasn't just visiting family.

thomaspaine

Postby Syeknom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Syeknom

Postby bels » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Console yourself with your higher wages and lower cost of living.

Twenty four days leave is pretty standard here though. It's possibly higher in belg. I actually had thirty this year because I carried some over but they all got used on my sisters wedding

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:24 pm

I don't get so many, I think about 24 as well. Extra if public holidays fall on the weekend, and I get extra when I work overtime (sadly I can't just decide to work into the evening for days off later in the year).

Where did your sister get married?

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:39 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby thomaspaine » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 am

Most of my family and older friends are in Cincinnati, my mom and step dad live in San Diego.

Visiting San Diego sounds nice in theory except without a car I'm basically a prisoner. And you know, visiting your folks is nice and all, but this is my mom's idea of going to the beach.

thomaspaine

Postby hooplah » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:15 pm

i just moved into a new apartment and i want to do it up nice
but i just have so much junk and so little money to buy nice stuff and decorations
such a bummer
i do have a giant banner that says "CONGRATUFUCKULATIONS" across an entire wall

anyway
vitrocsa corner sliding door

hooplah

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I really, really like wood, but I've also started looking into concrete. I've been planning a little concrete table build which I'll probably do for Xmas.

This past year I've made a couple of things for my girlfriend - the first one was a pretty simple rail. I planned to make it double height originally but the simplicity of what I had to end up making turned out really nice.

Last Xmas I noticed she didn't have anywhere nice to do her makeup, so I decided to make her a holywood mirror. I took the mirror from my parents house (they weren't using it anymore) and I had this piece of scaffolding wood that I'd used before to cut other bits of wood on. It had great big slashes in it and I thought it had lots of character. It had been in the garden for months so it had to come in to dry.

Cutting up (proof that I did it)

I try to always use natural stuff, so I stained the wood with strong coffee. Once I put the lights on it smelled like coffee as it warmed up.

Here's a photo of both on them in situ.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Satan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't have any pictures, but hell is pretty good. There's a magma pool in my room, and the steam keeps the wrinkles out of my clothes, meaning I never have to iron anything.

Last edited by Satan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satan

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Indoor pool? So lavish.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:25 pm

Only tangentially related to houses but the door handle at the CYC flagship store is fucking incredible.

Wish I had taken a picture for scale but its probably like 2 feet tall/6" wide. Looks fairly obvious in this photo how you would use it but when you approach it from the street/eye level you just see this big block of wood with no real idea of how you're going to open the door. Would put something like this in my (theoretical) house in a heartbeat.

ramseames

Postby hooplah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:54 pm

i need some help, guys

through some fortuitous circumstances, i have received a 40" television.
problem is, i have nowhere to put it in my apartment.

there is no great place to wall mount the television (unless i drastically rearrange my furniture, which i'm trying to avoid because putting my bed anywhere else would be weird [i live on the first floor, so people can see through my windows when they walk by; having the bed right beneath the window would be weird]), so it seems like unless i cleverly shroud the television (like in the first scenario), somewhere in the apartment you will be staring at the back of the TV.

also, again, without drastic furniture rearrangement, it seems like there is no placement that is conducive for both couch- and bed-based television viewing. the third scenario seems like it might have the advantage of being able to simply rotate the TV depending on whether i'm on the bed or on the couch.

help me

hooplah

Postby germinal » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm

maybe this would work

(downsides no bedside table, awkward watching angle from both bed and sofa, etc)

germinal
Garminlad

Postby hooplah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm

shit i meant to link the illustrator file if anyone wants to fuck around for funsies lol http://we.tl/2b2rkT3VrN

germs, yeah the awkward angle kills me. my apartment is kind of a weird set up, there are so many doors and entryways. also i forgot to mention there are some shelves all the way up the wall in the lower corner of the apartment, like so:

(round things are pillows, cba to make them look nice)

i sleep on the right side of the bed (when lying in it) so it's not a problem, but i imagine if i were sleeping directly underneath the shelves, it would bother me

hooplah

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:53 pm

hooplah my room is set up really similarly and I used to have the same problem. I stayed in a hotel once which had a desk at the foot of the bed which makes total space sense, so now I always have a desk at the end of my bed. I can spin the monitor/tv round when I'm in bed or use it as a desk/tv stand that's visible from the settee during the day.

So basically, your third suggestion. It worked well for me! (until I got rid of the TV).

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am

Is there some equation out there that other adults know that says what % of salary you should spend on rent/bills

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 am

The "standard" is typically 33% on rent but that's an internet standard (i.e. american)

Syeknom

Postby ptozzi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:49 am

This thread hasn't seen any action in a while.

Some interior design flintstone of mine:

ptozzi

Postby ramseames » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 am

Reviving this thread because it doesn't deserve to die.

also:

Good friend of mine's mother designed this back in 06. 6655 ft^2, 4 bed 4.5 bath. Won't post what they're asking for but I'm sure you could find out if you really wanted to. Went up last Jan, still for sale as far as I know.

ramseames

Postby starfox64 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 am

karl lagerfeld, acting like gargamel

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby chilljin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:11 pm

i need some cool things to put on my wall, pref B+W. Student budget too so no vlaada chvatil foreskin drapes

chilljin

Postby fun_yunchables » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:27 pm

this sofa is pretty cool:

boconcept carmo

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby chan0 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Love this thread. Might be time to dig out my guilty pinterest pleasures.

Got a coffee at a gallery near me recently and really liked this table that was there.

chan0

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm

The dream.

iamacyborg

Postby ramseames » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:47 pm

why are there 2 toilets like right next to each other?

ramseames

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm

#richpeople

iamacyborg

Postby purkinje » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm

so u can be poopbros

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby ramseames » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm