[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic -  

Off topic

Postby rjbman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:14 am

Space is good, space is bad. Let's chat. Keep it civil.

Personally, I'm all for space exploration. It's a shame that the govt. has wrecked NASA's budget, but it's great that private companies are picking up the mantle and continuing to pursue it.

I know some people () like to say that we shouldn't look at space as an escape from the problems of earth, and I agree. But I don't think we should just stop space exploration because there are problems with civilization on earth.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Re:  

Postby RycePooding » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm

space really really stresses me out

RycePooding

Re:  

Postby cormac » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm

From least to most personal:

1) I think privatized space exploration has the potential to exacerbate the problems inherent in our economic system. It feels reminiscent of the private expeditions to the New World, a completely untouched realm of resources, obviously with many things different, but also with the same mindset of bringing home wealth for the glory of those who are often arbitrarily at the heads of these kind of expeditions. I fear the benefits will not serve humanity as much as corporate greed, given our current and historical global attitudes toward colonizing. Seems that usually the discovery of new areas for resource extraction enables a continuation of liberal and neoliberal ideals of perpetual growth, covering up any flaws and preventing eventual improvement or revolutionizing of the system, in whatever way that may come.

2) I think space is awesome and the USA should never have scaled back its efforts toward manned flight and in general. Technological developments and discoveries are still important, no matter the sociopolitical reality during which they are made. So I guess I agree with your response to vgtbls, . It's a messy world, isn't it.

3) I'm really scared of going to space, so I really hope there isn't a sci-fi style mass escape due to nuclear war or an asteroid or something, because I reaaaally don't want to go to space if I can avoid it.

cormac

Re:  

Postby rjbman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:37 am

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Return to Care