[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - sit and listen

sit and listen

Off topic

sit and listen

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:03 pm

podcast thread.

long-form media is rad
broadcast media with a low barrier for entry is rad
discussion is rad
feature-length recording that can hold your attention and keep you entertained while you're multitasking, traveling or commuting is rad
caring about something enough to make a podcast about it is rad

post what podcasts you're listening to and anything related to them.

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Re: sit and listen

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm

maybe you've heard of this one

the chapo boys picked up a ton of hype and media attention after the election – so much now that they have the #1 most-subscribed patreon. most well-known for their combination of outspoken leftist politics and ironic comedy without coming off as either a boring, antiseptic NPR clone or a preachy, unfunny satire show. i recommend them to everyone regardless of political leanings, especially since CTH has actually helped radicalize me to a surprising amount after the election and gave me a better sense of political consciousness. A+ pod

their most well-known episode, from directly after the election. listening to them go after the clinton campaign and the DNC for their failings is enlightening and incredibly cathartic

a personal favorite episode

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby saptapadi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm

cum boys we out here

saptapadi

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm

oh my god thank you i need someone to talk about cum town with

i've listened to so much that i honestly believe nick mullen is a comedic genius on the level of louis ck, but he can't properly express his jokes through standup the way he can through podcasting. any time he records without stav or adam also shows the importance of chemistry between the hosts and how important they are to the success of the show

i can't laugh at, like, newer dave chapelle but i'll give myself a hernia laughing at a conversation between 3 unsuccessful brooklyn comedians

i won't recommend them to just any lame but for the right people i'm a evangelist

two great bits

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby saptapadi » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 pm

louis ck fuckin suuucks

saptapadi

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

^ i shouldn't be surprised that cum town fans don't like louie seeing as the podcast's social sphere of (literally) low-rent brooklyn comedians tend to shit on any comedian that actually makes it in the business, but it feels like hating on louie is like hating on drake or something like that – it's simultaneously so easy and so easy to dispute shitting on the biggest name in the game, so what's the point? in any case both louie and nick mullen make me laugh and i tend not to intellectualize comedy more than that

anyway

no jumper gets scoffed at for representing a comically ignorant population of hypebeast famkids and xanax-addled dirtbags, but sometimes it's fun to live vicariously through the antics of the OSS crew. dudes that get paid to party, do BMX tricks and interview rappers probably have a healthy purity of purpose

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby saptapadi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 pm

so much for the tolerant left!!!

saptapadi

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 pm

the podcast thread is a safe space that supports diversity of opinion

recommend me some more podcasts, especially if you disagree with my recommendations. expand my horizons

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 pm

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby windowflowers » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:38 pm

is a great podcast where some dudes talk about fast food restaurants

also feel like everybody probably already knows but it's great

windowflowers

Postby CMYK » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 pm

uhhhhh so for a little less political topic... is good. Recommended to me by a friend who grew up in a suburb of Providence.

There's an episode about Shepard Fairey apparently in there somewhere.

One of the cool things about podcasts for me is their low barrier of entry. This sort of long form journalism on such a myopic subject would be totally dead in the water at a traditional publisher, but here it flourishes and finds new audiences. Pretty cool.

CMYK

Postby CMYK » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:01 am

Also the podcast that re-stared podcasting as a "thing" IMO, . I'm a bleeding heart, so I to linked Season Two which deals with US army Sergeant Bo Bergdahl. TBH I haven't listened to the first season yet. I've heard it's quite good.

CMYK

Postby jrisk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 am

global trade themed podcast narrated by a calm and steady roman mars esque voice. except this is better since it goes more in depth than a standard 99PI episode. only eight parts.

https://soundcloud.com/containersfmg

jrisk

Postby adiabatic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:55 pm

If you've ever thought "Apple fans claim their stuff is the best always and never have any problems", listening to the three hosts of will disabuse you of that notion. Marco Arment writes iOS apps (including ), John Siracusa has been reviewing OS X since 10.0 or something and writes Perl (in $CURRENT_YEAR, even!) for his day job, and Casey Liss went from writing stuff in .NET to working for an iOS shop.

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby Dingdongfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:16 pm

is an improv comedy podcast on the Earwolf network (same as doughboys and comedy bang bang) and it is the funniest comedic thing I know of on this planet. The sort of "premise" of the show is that the two hosts, Hayes and Sean, play these sort of hollywood blowhard characters and they do bits like "the teaser freezer" where they watch a movie teaser or "the popcorn gallery" where they ask a famous guest questions. Every episode starts with a madeup hollywood anecdote like "so it's me (insert three hilariously random celebrity names)". The show's strayed pretty far from the hollywood thing though and now they do really weirdly hilarious and dedicated multiepisode meta arcs and stuff. Sean's character, his intonations, just his improv in general is so genius, and Hayes is an amazing and hilarious complement. I just wrote a lot about it I can't recommend this show enough I think it is so amazing.

here's my favorite beginning anecdote

Dingdongfootball

Postby jrisk » Tue May 02, 2017 8:42 am

talking about comedy bang bang, this is an amazing episode: . The recurring character, Cake Boss, is possessed by H.R. Giger's (the famous "necro-artist") ghost.

the full episode is behind the paywall or . could not stop laughing.

Last edited by jrisk on Tue May 09, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrisk

Postby Ques » Tue May 02, 2017 2:41 pm

i listen to sinica on supchina pretty regularly, my favorite sino podcast. also the new yorker radio hour occasionally has fascinating interviews

Ques

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri May 12, 2017 2:52 am

a great episode of a video game podcast i haven't ever listened to before, – chapo trap house's felix biederman talking about the politics and theory behind the metal gear solid series. surprisingly deep and complex stuff behind an already deep and complex game series.

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby zevolution » Fri May 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Boy Friends was a nice podcast that only had around six episodes. Two young guys, one with kids, talking honestly about growing up, and the sex, difficulties, and maturation that goes along with it. Highly recommended if you need to cleanse your palette after Cum Town.

zevolution

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:46 pm

if i'm being honest i only really got into podcasts after i realized that the low barrier to entry means that they can cover topics (stupid, vulgar, weird, whatever) that other media can never touch. mcluhan was right about the medium being the message

i'll always have respect for well-thought-out, respectful NPR-style podcasting, but there's no other medium on earth that can produce comedy bits like this

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby sknss » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:17 pm

I mostly listen to french podcasts but recently i've been enjoying:

- apparently, is even better
(it's not what you think it is)

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby thephfactor » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:37 pm

I've made several appearances on . It's great, although I oppose the host's recent tendency to bring on the wackiest, most irresponsible people, like the loathsome Dr. Bones, whom I have exchanged polemics with and now plan to hold a debate on the podcast with.

Also in the works is a series of film/media analysis episodes, which I will feature on, although this has been pushed back in favor of the debate with the disgusting Bones.

thephfactor

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:32 am

I listen to A LOT of podcasts, audiobooks etc. A lot more than music for the last 5 years or so - here's my current recs (favourites marked with a *)

This American Life*
Hidden Brain
Ear Hustle
The Pitch
Every Little Thing
Bernie Sanders Show
S-Town (not sure I rated it as much as the hype but it was good)
2 Dope Queens
Twice Removed
Last Podcast On The Left
Undone
Crimetown
Homecoming
Planet Money *
How I Built This*
The Tim Feriss Show (don't listen regularly but enjoy the odd one)
Heavyweight*
Joe Rogan Experience* (I think this guy is great but I don't always jizz with his guests, I probably listen to half the eps)
Placemakers
The Tony Robbins Podcats (weird, I know - but there are some interesting guests)
Revisionist History*
StartUp*
More Perfect*
Freakanomics*
Radiolab*
Criminal
This Week In Tech
Reply All*
The Guilty Feminist* (not everyones cup of tea though)

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby jrisk » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am

The new 30 for 30 podcast is really really good. All of the episodes so far are a must listen.

https://30for30podcasts.com/

The 2nd episode is about the guys who made millions making and selling the YANKEES SUCK t shirts. I always thought it was some kind of commercialized design (it is now, I guess) but it was actually all Boston bros in the punk scene.

jrisk

Postby sknss » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

basically i like everything from france culture and france inter
my fav is les pieds sur terre, then i like comme un bruit qui court and le temps d'un bivouac

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby popcorn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 pm

anyone here into mbmbam? i have a playlist of youtube videos that are suitable for showing other people and now it's just completely full of their videos...

My Brother My Brother and Me (An Advice Show for the Modren Era) is a podcast hosted by 3 brothers raised by baptists from West Virginia.
They answer questions sourced from the internet. They make jokes and laugh loudly. They're respectful people and increasingly socially conscious, so it's a very positive experience.

Here's a sweet sweet sample.

popcorn

Postby rjbman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 am

introduced me to the Artsy podcast and I quite like it

edit: it's about art

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby Dingdongfootball » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:28 pm

My favorite podcast right now is . I started listening to these guys when they used to do a weekly video game podcast just called Idle Thumbs. Then I sort of lost interest in video games and, although I really liked their banter and humor, lost interest in Idle Thumbs. Coincidentally though, and much to my delight, about a year after I stopped listening, they also sort of lost interest in video games and put Idle Thumbs on the back-burner to do this new non video game related podcast, Important If True, where they just talk about random tech news, science stuff, random funny news stories, etc. "Robot News" was a popular segment on the old podcast they would do sometimes, so they basically just made a podcast out of that, and other related stuff.

It's a really loose and fun podcast. These guys have been podcasting together since like 2007 so their rapport is really great and they have a great sense of flow and when to talk. Production quality is great too. Every episode they usually talk about a couple weird news stories and a few listener emails. They're all game devs in SF (two of the three, Chris and Jake, work for the indie studio that made Firewatch), so they're not like improv comedy people or anything, but their improv and yes-and-ing is better than some dedicated comedy podcasts I've tried to listen to. The way they weave all the stories and emails of the week together into a weird narrative is really fun. They have a hilarious, exasperated but not overly-cynical tone and outlook. I give it my highest recommendation. It's the highlight of my week.

Dingdongfootball

Postby Dingdongfootball » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Shameless self promotion incoming. My next podcast recommendation is... !

My best friend Jack and I started our own podcast this year. It's a <10 minute comedy show that comes out every Thursday and Monday called "The First Time We..." The premise is that we talk about our first times doing everyday sorts of activities like grocery shopping or asking someone out, and we explain the mistakes we made so people can learn from them. Of course it's an improv comedy show so the stories and mistakes are made up to be funny and usually paint us as buffoons.

We're on episode 5 now, and like I said they're all less than 10 minutes. We're mainly just doing it for fun but it's always nice to get feedback or to hear that people are into it. The both of us have always liked comedy and tried with varying degrees of success to make people laugh, so it's fun to actually try to create something out of it, and to put something out there into the world. We have so much fun recording every week and I'm really excited for where this show is going so I wanted to share it with you all, my friends! Also maybe this will inspire you to go out and make your own podcast, or your own anything.

Dingdongfootball

Return to Care