[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - being made to serve the disciplines

being made to serve the disciplines

Off topic

being made to serve the disciplines

Postby zevolution » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Would anyone, other than myself, find it helpful to discuss their jobs and professional paths on here? I think it would be a good resource for some among us (especially considering how honest and forthcoming this board has been) to hear the personal reflections of other c-ters.

Personally, I'm looking for a more self-reflective and honest place to speak about networking and professionalism than LinkedIn.

zevolution

Re: being made to serve the disciplines

Postby zevolution » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:23 pm

I am graduating from a NE liberal arts college in May with a degree in Politics and a hyper-informed cynicism towards anything that isn't critical theory. This is a disappointing mindset to be in, but I think it's because I'm a bit lost as to the ins and outs of professional life, so it would be cool to chat with the good young people on here about their careers and lob some questions at people who have jobs which catch my fancy.

I can offer some information on my experience in:
-Political organizing with a nonprofit
-foodservice and catering in various forms (food trucks! short-order cooking! barista!)

zevolution

Postby E.T. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:47 am

Last edited by E.T. on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.T.

Postby wrong » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:20 am

i don't have a degree and work for a nonprofit serving individuals with severe disabilities/folks with extensive criminal backgrounds in finding employment
ama

wrong

Postby fun_yunchables » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:49 pm

someone find me a job please i made a big mistake of doing too much theoretical work and now nobody wants me

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby INNIT » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:09 pm

you can always become a professional student and sap corporatizing universities from within (PRAXIS)

INNIT

Postby zevolution » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:35 pm

oh btw i've been investigating police misconduct for the city of NY for the past year, it's been K but man, working full time can really change you! huh?

zevolution

Postby bels » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:57 am

I was actually quite a sincere, cheery chap before I got a full time job

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:01 am

Get a job with a good stairwell, good lunch options, and crushable coworkers in a place you want to live. Nothing else matters. I'm being totally serious. The daily function of your job is unpredictable and irrelevant to your overall satisfaction.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:18 am

I would probably be happier working at an abattoir if it was centrally located in a global city and my coworkers were cute. As long as I didn't have to drive into work I guess.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:22 am

Driving to work is a level of misery I have been saved from, alhamdolilah.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:37 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby kickingthefly » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:57 pm

all care teens should quit whining and work here

https://karmarama.workable.com/jobs/105 ... um=organic

kickingthefly

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm

funyun's subpar guide to ranking job qualities:

from best to worst:
1. location: it better be nyc or la. otherwise fuck u (this is very usa centric but analogous ideas hold for other countries)
2. yeah can i work for just 40 hrs? rather not sell my soul and body to capitalism
3. can i request a standing desk?
4. intellectual stimulation -- i guess i can always read twitter memes
5. compensation

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby maj » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm

Every time someone asked me what my dream job was I always said "Jen's from the it crowd" (now rightfully cancelled show)

I recently acquired said job and it's fucking flaxy

35 hours
No direct manager
Just send emails
Central location
Gyms near by

Honestly being mentally stimulated by your job is a fake concept imo, just want something as close to passive income as I can get

maj

Postby Benson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Working as a city planner for the City in a pretty small city (400k). I'm glad I'm here and not in a global city though because 1. there's less work for me to do in places like that and and 2. I get to live close to work and pay a fraction of what I would in a bigger city.

35 hours
Pretty chill environment
I feel like I could probably exercise more creativity if I worked in the private sector but I'm not sure I'm into that lifestyle.
I'm glad I do work that I think is meaningful (even if the public doesn't always think so) but yeah I agree with Bels in that the work culture and the ppl you work with are a lot more important than 'what you do'. Sometimes I think of trying to switch to landscape architecture or more of a design field but I'm realizing that a lot of them have the same day-to-day as me.

Really I just want to be an artist so if I could find a situation where I only work like 25 hours a week, that'd be ideal

Benson

Postby griffin » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 pm

nice, i'm about to graduate and I'm hoping to find a job as a city planner in the public sector. how did u land the job? also is 400k small lol

griffin

Postby can- » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:38 am

I worked in restaurants in a bunch of front of house roles but mostly in sommelier/wine direction positions

Now I have quit the game and i'm getting a master's degree in social work to pursue private practice therapy

AMA

can-

Return to Care