[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music, Conversation

Postby b4my » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Can you guys explain what exactly you like about Childish Gambino? Haven't listened to his new album and most people say it's better than Camp and it could be amazing, who knows, but he really bothers me. Every song of his that I've heard sounds like he set out to make this watered down version of other, better rappers, like "this is my Kanye song" "this is my Drake song" "this is my Odd Future song", etc.
And something about the misogyny in his songs rings so weirdly true. Like with Rick Ross or Danny Brown or whoever it sounds like a character they're playing separate from their actual selves and I don't really give a shit but there's this air of creepyness and rejected-nerd spite in his music that makes it really uncomfortable to listen to imo. Doesn't really help that my entire dorm floor is super stereotypical frat bros that worship him.

Anyway sorry I don't mean to criticize what you like just to be a dick I just really do not understand why anyone likes him, least of all people on this forum who are all generally pretty rad and not at all douchebros.

Whatever anyway on a different tip the instrumental grime scene is beyond exciting right now. Is anyone else following it? I remember someone posting Xe2 in the WAYLT thread a while ago.

b4my

Postby CMYK » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Lately I've been caught up with up and coming Atlanta rapper Young Thug in a huge way. Apparently he just signed with YCMB, but he also just got arrested for reckless driving and possession of a class IV narcotic, so that should be interesting.

Other than that, Cashmere Cat's new EP, Wedding Bells is really great. Him and Shlohmo have been holding it down for me in the electronic music department.

CMYK

Postby fountainstairs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:44 am

so the new cloud nothings lp leaked. i've listened to it 4 times now and i can definitely say i prefer it over Attack on Memory. I recall someone posted that cloud nothings excel when it sounds like they recorded the album in a trash can, and i 100% agree with that. Highlight of the album is probably Pattern Walks, but the whole album is pretty much flawless imo.

fountainstairs

Postby inherently » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 am

Pharell's new album is now on Spotify, do yourselves a favor and go listen to it.

it's really peppy and has lots of energy, which is perfect for the monday morning blues

inherently

Postby seth83292 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 pm

Schoolboy Q's concert was a whole bunch of fun. I don't know how to write concert reviews so here's just some words about the show.

There were two local acts - Dutch Rebelle and Mike Christmas who both got ~10 min sets before Staples/Rashard and they both killed it. Dutch had pretty amazing beats and a great flow, and Mike Christmas (Who I had seen before and bombed pretty badly) did really well. He's kinda chubby so a lot of his rhymes were funny alludes to that.

Vince staples was only okay; I don't think many people knew any of the songs he was playing, so everyone was kinda just standing there, trying to sway with the music. Also he had us put our hands up and groove to very weird parts of his show, and the hands went down almost immediately.

Isiah Rashard was really fun. He was running around the stage, perfoming songs of Civilia and it was great. He seemed really happy to be there and was interacting with the crowd and just generally having a good time. His set seemed kinda short though, only 4-5 songs.

Then the wait for schoolboy's DJ to set up was ~20 mins during which time he played some chief keef, some kendrick lamar and ran around throwing water on the crowd (It was hot as fuck)

THEN Q CAME OUT. Goddamn this crowd got hype. Or at least the very front where I was did. Played some classics from HnC, got into some Oxy, and even did a few other songs ( I don't want to go too much into it incase some of you are going to go and I'd ruin it). Some girl took off her bra and threw it on the stage and he wore it for a few songs which was awesome. His stage presence was great. I think he's way better live then Kendrick, who is kinda okay.

Great show, if you have a chance to go to it, and you like his music, absolutely go.

Here's a mini album of some pictures I took .http://imgur.com/a/f90e3

Also since this is kinda a fashion forum I should mention he was wearing some pretty cool, what I think were, balmain biker pants.

seth83292

Postby Stingray Sam » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:29 am

I'm not sure if this is allowed, but....

I don't want to come off as a shill but my friend has been making music recently and his newest set on soundbutt is pretty good imo. I know he'd appreciate if you guys would listen to it. Anyways i think that if i'm going to post here i should provide some background on the music. We both come from an online community that originated on a minecraft server called civcraft (it's really complicated look it up if you want to learn more) and the entire philosophy of this group was to try to be friendly and accepting of all. There were many times when they actively worked to subvert the institutions in place within in the community that would be biased towards specific groups of players. Most of the members tended to be pretty eccentric (a majority were marxists or libsocs/ancoms) and this community developed its own quasi-language that consisted of broken English and a number of symbols or words that were used in a way different from their original meaning. as the community evolved it started to manifest itself in more and more abstract ways. There was no real definition of what it meant to belong to the community other that in general they tried to be friendly to others. Many people acted in ways the put emphasis on the immaterial and/or propagating memes which had no real meaning outside of the community. Eventually it migrated away from civcraft because of constant harassment of many of its more prominent members (it was one of the few safe places for the few gay/bi/trans members of civcraft), but it still operates on its subreddit (). Anyways my friend began making music as a joke for the community. It was similar to the community itself, very raw, abstract, making no sense most of the time. He has continued to make music though out of his own interest and began focusing on actually creating something that resembles music. I don't really feel like explaining what any of the song titles album titles mean unless someone wants me to. I think it's pretty great and is a definite improvement from what he has been making before and i just wanted to have people listen to it. I'm not sure if any of this music or explanations make sense to anyone else, after trying to explain it i feel like it really needs to be shown to someone who understands and perhaps even experienced the context in which it was created to understand it.

Stingray Sam

Postby rublev » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

been listening to after dinner a lot and forgot how long it took me to get past the first track cos it's so good

rublev
Political Editor

Postby tttigre » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:08 am

MØ's LP No Mythologies to Follow finally leaked a couple days ago after what seemed like years of waiting. Had a run-through last night - the whole thing is immediately listenable and has stuck with me throughout today.

Here's the album sampler:

若者文化
tttigre

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 pm

Michael Gira was fantastic last night, can't wait for the next Swans show in May.

iamacyborg

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 am

Went to the free SXSW concerts the past few days and got to see Los Lonely Boys, Vintage Trouble, Young and Sick, Washed out, Foster the People, Snoop Dogg Lion Babe, The Cool Kids, and Childish Gambino. These were my first concerts and I had a lot of fun. All of them were held outdoors at a big park. I went with a bunch of friends and we all got to hang out. The first day we were mostly at the back, but the second and third days we were nearer to the front, with me being at the rail that went down the middle of the crowd on the third day.

First day we went was pretty much just to chill, I didn't really know either one of the bands that were playing so we didn't mind too much, just wanted get an idea of how it went and how the next few days would go.

The second day was Young and Sick and Washed out, an I didn't know either one of them but I really liked them and am looking forward to check out their albums. Foster the People were great, they played songs off of Torches, but they also played quite a few songs off their new album which releases on Tuesday. They were the main performance of the night so it was my first Major concert. I didn't expect the crowd to get as hyped up as it did, it was definitely worth standing for 3.5 hours to see them.

Third day started out with us trying to go to different place to see The 1975 at noon, but it was a very small place with only a 250 max capacity, and the line was super long. The came to our part of the line and said we probably wouldn't make it in so we went back the Butler Park (where we had been the previous two days) after grabbing something to eat. We set down some towels and sat on them playing some cards. A DJ came out that went by the name DJ Filipino Fist who threw mentos into the crowd after saying "You guys want some mentos? I got extremely mentos" and threw packets of them out periodically. He was pretty alright, not bad at all. After he performed more people started to show up so we had to stand up to try to keep our spot and move up. My goal was to get as near the front and to the rail on the side as possible. There was a soul group playing, and Snoop Dogg came out near the end and did like 2 or 3 songs, nothing major.

I was already standing for a few hours and I had a couple more to go, and my legs hurt pretty bad but I tried ignoring it. At 6 PM Lion Babe played a couple songs, they don't have very much material from what I understand. Then The Cool Kids who I thought were alright, I didn't like them very much. Felt generic I guess, not sure what term to use. I eventually got to the rail and was able to lean on it and sit for a while. At around 7 PM people started fainting and passing out left and right. It was either drugs or dehydration, the security guys were doing their best to keep everyone hydrated. They ran up and down the aisle that split the audience in two with water bottles that had a hole poked in the cap, and sprayed it in people's mouth whenever they asked for water, or just sprayed the water all over everyone. There was one guy that would just be walking calmly with a water bottle with no cap, and then splash it in peoples face, seeing their reactions was pretty funny. They tried really hard and I have to give those security guys props for trying so hard, as well as interacting with us and being overall cool guys. I asked two of them for a hug, one of them said "No you're all wet and sweaty and I'm a germophobe" and laughed about it. The second one said "No but I'll give you a high five." So I high-fived him.

Gambino started around 8:15, before that they had a projection up on the stage, and if you tweeted something and used a certain tag or something your tweet would show up on the screen, and they also had a way for people to doodle on it, I'm not entirely sure how it worked, but there were many penis drawings up there.

Gambino got everyone hyped up by teasing us. There was a sound playing of a phone ringing, and it would hang up, it happened repeatedly. It wasn't until he "answered the phone" that it began. His entrance was crazy, he had a really cool animation playing on the screen and voice recording. The whole concert had a lot of visuals and sound recordings and cool stuff like that. Gambino's brother Steve G. Lover also came up on stage for a song. He got the whole crowd really hyped up and ended up doing three encores, but he did the first two one after the other. For the last one he did a freestyle with his brother, it was really cool and I tried to record the whole thing but my phone ran out of storage space so I only got half of it, but I did get his entrance and a couple snippets of other songs.

The whole thing was a really great experience and I was super glad I was able to go. I've lived here for several years and always wanted to go to SXSW, but never had the chance to, luckily this year one of my friends offered to take me and a couple other friends. Pictures in the spoiler

RomanEmpire

Postby sensodyne » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 am

"A podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made"

http://songexploder.net/episode-index/

Super rad series of pdocasts in which musicians go thru and de/reconstruct their songs and what it took to get the the finished the product

Figure you guys would like it, especially the music producers out there.

Liked this one on Daedelus but i recommend listening to them all

sensodyne

Postby can- » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 pm

can-

Postby radicalbusiness » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am

saw nils frahm last night in seattle with some friends. it ended up being one of the best shows i have seen in a long time, would recommend anyone to buy tickets if he's stopping at your city on this tour. the opener Douglas Dare played a short set and was extremely good, his music reminded me a lot of feist and james blake, def an up and coming artist with a pretty impressive debut EP out. I managed to speak with him for a bit after the show, pretty humble dude who was just psyched to be in america for the first time. later nils played and started off jamming on his track 'an aborted beginning' with this crazy old vintage electronic drum machine, rhodes, and a juno. later he went on to play like 2/3 of the songs on his latest live album 'spaces' and improvised a ton on each of them. the venue (triple door) had ridiculously good acoustics too and the audience was dead silent the whole time which was great. usually i space off a bit during softer concerts but this one really kept me captivated for the hour set, most likely because of how dynamic it was. at points nils would play on both his rhodes and his grand piano with each hand sitting diagonally between them, he also jammed with some soft mallets on his open grand piano during one of his medleys. sorry for rambling but i just felt i had to share this experience and hopefully convince someone to check out more of nils frahm or hopefully even check out his tour because he is seriously an impressive performer who has been putting out some incredible music lately.

radicalbusiness

Postby eufemism » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:09 am

hearing wiz khalifa on this song fills me with anger. it was perfect with just chief keef and 50. but no, you gotta have a hot wiz khalifa verse to bring in that money. there has to be a version without his verse. i can't even listen to the song after 50's verse

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby RycePooding » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:54 pm

Been listening to some blues recently. Started with the Black Keys Junior Kimbrough cover album 'Chulahoma' and has moved to Junior himself, Muddy Waters, R.L. Burnside, John Lee Hooker and some others. I feel completely overwhelmed though, does anyone have recommendations?

RycePooding

Postby stappard_ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:20 pm

stappard_

Postby iamacyborg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 pm

65DoS on Thursday, aw yisss.

iamacyborg

Postby RomanEmpire » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Saw Schoolboy Q and Isaiah Rashad last night, pretty good concert. First thing Schoolboy said was that he was glad to be performing there instead of SXSW again.

RomanEmpire

Postby germinal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 am

Last night i went to see the new Slint documentary, Breadcrumb Trail. I urge anyone who is even slightly a fan of Slint and Spiderland to get themselves to a screening (a full list of dates is on their fb page), because although the film is included on the reissue boxset, it is unlikely to see a separate release. I found it hugely illuminating and frequently hilarious - the contrast between Britt and his very normal parents; the anal breathing tapes etc. - and i can appreciate the genius of the album even more now i understand some of the context surrounding its creation. The amount of and the quality of the archival footage is staggering, so i hope the director's plans to make a similar film about Neutral Milk Hotel come into fruition. the q&a with him at the end was good too, albeit truncated.

germinal
Garminlad

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Isaiah was pretty good. Interacted with the crowd a good amount. Not amazing, but not bad either. Vince staples talked to the crowd a lot, even going as far as calling out specific people in crowd. There's was a guy with sunglasses and he said something along the lines of "give this guy a round of applause for having the balls to wear sunglasses inside. You still look stupid though." He was a pretty funny guy, cracked a lot of jokes and pumped up the crowd.

RomanEmpire

Postby Syeknom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Went out and saw Circle and Old Man Gloom last night.

Circle were quite possibly one of the best and most fun acts I've seen in years. Dolled up in full-on '70s glam rock pastiche (skin-tight metallic trousers, fur boots, leather jackets, bondage gear, the works) their show was a tour-de-force of homoeroticsm, psychedelic tribalism, heavy metal, spaced-out opera, motorik krautrock, drawn-out ambience and theatrical nonsense. So much fun. So much penis.

(Not my photos)

[youtube]?v=ZOWYJLDQFcA[/youtube]

[youtube]?v=vn94xlmBiO8[/youtube]

[youtube]?v=n3__cUxQXAA[/youtube]

Old Man Gloom were superb too but in a rather more conventional, metal way. Had a lot of fun rocking out and thrashing to them.

Syeknom

Postby iamacyborg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:05 pm

So happy this site still exists.

iamacyborg

Postby Spartangy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 am

The new album from BBNG is pretty amazing, been listening to the leak, gonna try and get it on vinyl.

Also went to my friend's EP release party, 50ish people attended, pretty fun.

, .
Spartangy

Postby rublev » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:16 pm

New Cloud Nothings album is really good. Very simple but very refreshing. I've not really been listening to 'guitar music' for a while and this feels good. I remember when the early record came out he / they were lumped with the more lo fi lemme-record-that-on-my-phone type of thing but then Albini got involved and made everything sound pretty badass and angry... new record feels like a really good progression from that. Let it seep in!

rublev
Political Editor

Postby hooplah » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:19 pm

on saturday night i watched muse in an open field in the middle of a sand storm while tripping on acid and it was one of the best experiences of my life

hooplah

Postby arcticsound » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

arcticsound

Postby iamacyborg » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Ben Frost followed by a dirty lineup at Therapy Sessions in 10 days. I. Cannot. Wait.

iamacyborg

Postby Spartangy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Anyone else been following that Primordial Gods/Death Grips ARG?

Also that new songs from Swans is ace.

, .
Spartangy

Postby can- » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm

baby on the way mad bills to pay

can-

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Thinking I'll compile a caretags bbq/summer/relaxing/camping/pump-up/roadtrip playlist. Here's how I think this can work- either pm or include in a rep comment no more than 3 songs that you feel fit this playlist, I'll compile all of them (if they're available in spotify) into a playlist and then come back and post the link here (smiling)

To make this easier for me, it would be best if you format the list as "artist- song name" as sometimes it's hard to tell which is which (anyone remember when no one knew if the suburbs or arcade fire was the band)

IsaiahSchafer

PreviousNext

Return to Care