[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music, Conversation

Postby iamacyborg » Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 am

iamacyborg

Postby deadkitty » Thu May 08, 2014 7:16 am

grimes recorded Visions on garageband

deadkitty

Postby Thomnd » Thu May 08, 2014 4:56 pm

Only reason I like vinyl is it forces me to listen to whole albums instead of hopping around from band to band on shuffle

Thomnd

Postby fountainstairs » Sun May 11, 2014 8:27 am

So I'm a massive The National fan, but was never really fond of High Violet. Listened to it straight through today. Can already feel it changing my life. The musicality on this album is beyond mindfucked, the feeling of enlightenment that boiled over me when the distorted guitar came in on Terrible Love. Fuck.

It's weird how different you perceive music when your own musicality is expanding.

fountainstairs

Postby bueno » Mon May 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Have been listening to a lot of hip-hop Chopped & Screwed remixes today and really enjoying them. Slim K is one DJ who seems to be doing a lot of them around youtube. Recommend them if you like hip hop even a little bit.

DL'd a good Acid Rap mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jywkb3dGjHE)
and a really good Channel Orange mix (http://www.datpiff.com/Frank-Ocean-Chan ... 71712.html) (links if you're interested but there's a lot of good stuff on YT if you just type chopped and screwed in the search bar).

bueno

Postby rjbman » Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rjbman » Mon May 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Nope. Okay here's a collaborative spotify playlist:

Spotify URI:

rjbman

Postby zayg » Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm

My friend and I decided to start a shitty punk band. Female vocalist and a bassist coming soon so we don't have to just be a two piece. I haven't played guitar in about 4 years and was never very good in the first place, so this was fun for me. Pretty cool that my buddy has a whole cellar filled with pro studio recording equipment, although we kinda made a point to make it lo-fi to add to the jizz.

http://cuddlebuddies.bandcamp.com/

zayg

Postby nevergreen » Wed May 14, 2014 8:12 pm

anyone going to hard summer?

nevergreen

Postby rjbman » Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Trying to decide which is better: "All My Friends" or "Someone Great".

Leaning towards "All My Friends" because it hits home but "Someone Great" has some mad feels behind it.

Links:

rjbman

Postby vgtbls » Wed May 14, 2014 9:43 pm

vgtbls

Postby balloons » Thu May 15, 2014 4:55 am

speaking of lcd soundsystem songs that have titles beginning with the word "all", how come no one ever talks about "all I want"? that was the first ever LCD song I heard and I was taken instantly, but it never seems to make anyone else's top 5 lists

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 am

You Wanted A Hit is one of my favourites. The oriental sounding melody at the start and that discordant bit that comes in around the 5:30 mark really strike a chord with me.

-----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, what I'm mainly posting here for is this really interesting piece I found a while back. It's less music and more of a piece of "Sound Art" than anything else.

It's called I A Sitting In A Room and it's by Alvin Lucier who does a lot of sound experiments like this. It starts with him recording himself saying a few sentences, explaining the concept and playing the recording back into the room. He then records the playback of the recording and subsequently plays that back in the room to record it again. The interesting thing is that when he first says the words the room vibrates in resonance to certain frequencies in his voice, these initially tiny vibrations are picked up by the microphone and recorded. When played back into the room these vibrations will cause the room to resonate further, causing them to impose themselves more on the next recording. When this effect is reiterated again and again the sound of his voice is gradually drowned out by the vibrations of the room until nothing is left but a humming sound. Probably the most interesting thing is hearing his voice gradually sound less and less human and more metallic and robotic as the repetitions continue.

If you have the time and the patience listen to it all the way through but the effect is still appreciable if you skip ahead a bit.

DeafIdiotGod

Postby deadkitty » Thu May 15, 2014 6:31 pm

All My Friends is arguably the greatest song of the last 25 years

deadkitty

Postby balloons » Thu May 15, 2014 6:36 pm

so many songs are the greatest song of the last 25 years

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby ramseames » Thu May 15, 2014 8:58 pm

ramseames

Postby rjbman » Fri May 16, 2014 9:12 am

rjbman

Postby vgtbls » Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 pm

vgtbls

Postby BobbyZamora » Mon May 19, 2014 10:00 pm

what new music are you guys listening to or looking forward to?

I've been having trouble finding new artists to listen to lately, probably because I am burnt out on electronic music/hip-hop and am craving interesting, innovative bluesy rock music (which there is not a whole lot of right now)

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby charybdis » Mon May 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Been really liking a lot of Frank Ocean, Janelle Monae, the Weeknd and Jhene Aiko. Most of what I've been listening to is a year or two old, so I don't really feel like I'm on the cutting edge of anything, but that's okay.

Recently listened to this that I thought was super interesting and extremely evenhanded.

I think a pure rap album from Nicki Minaj would be really cool. Have been a fan of her since I heard her on Monster (I have a friend who can still rap all her verses from that song from memory) even if what she's been doing now is different from that.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby rjbman » Mon May 19, 2014 10:45 pm

It's not new music but I've been going through finding interesting playlists in Spotify Discover.

rjbman

Postby jrisk » Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Just today, I listened to Yann Tiersen's new album 'Infinity'. He composed the music for the movie Amelie. You can stream the whole album here on . I recommend checking out 'A Midsummer Evening' and 'Meteorites'. Just super lovely, enjoyable music. Some without lyrics and some with.

and I were going through the Tiny Desk Concerts the other day and I found a Yann Tiersen one Tiny Desk Concerts are awesome. Love the intimacy.

jrisk

Postby vgtbls » Mon May 19, 2014 11:14 pm

vgtbls

Postby chadnik » Mon May 19, 2014 11:25 pm

, I also recently enjoyed that Radiolab piece. It was a little less plodding than some of their other stuff (I actually think I like their "human interest" stories more than their science ones). Agree that it was very even-handed, and gave me a good think about how authenticity is acquired/proved.

I think Blood Orange/Dev Hynes deserves all the hype he's been getting, he's such a smart producer and artist and great at incorporating so many different genres into a cohesive sound (plus, that ). Likewise Mac DeMarco—I know I'm going to be listening to a lot this summer. Really love latest record; she uses her voice as an instrument and it feels super organic, like becoming fog. Likewise , though her music (as a review evocatively puts it) sounds more like sinking into the earth.

, it's not very rock (or very innovative, for that matter) but is pretty bluesy and sultry.

chadnik

Postby hooplah » Tue May 20, 2014 2:29 pm

nicki's on her way back up. when she first came out everyone thought she was the second coming. her verse on monster slayed, rumor is kanye thought about taking it off because it was better than his. she started going astray with her image and went too far down that crazy-color superbass rabbit hole. these days she's looking pared down and natural and her music is fire again:

hooplah

Postby starfox64 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:53 pm

god 2010 nicki was so fire. she brought her A game on every feature, whether it was with jay-z and kanye or fat joe and khaled.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby seth83292 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm

Speaking of nicki going hard

seth83292

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 pm

really fed up with the current state of blues and blues-rock music. It's obviously a niche and inactive genre, but the amount of stagnation and sometimes just downright awful execution is amazing.

You'll hear people talk about artists like The White Stripes, The Black Keys, Reignwolf, Gary Clark Jr. as if they're boring, but you don't really realize how rare artists like that are until you search around a bit to see what else there is. I'm not exaggerating right now- there is basically nothing out there. You'll find some bandcamp for a "blues rock" band every now and then, but immediately have to turn it off when they start singing about cliched twangy-blues-sleaze garbage like "amarillo", "trains", "guns", "babes","honky tonks", etc. It just reminds me of this scene from Ghost World

The singers also always try way too hard to sound gruff and masculine. That is one of the reasons I like Gary Clark Jr. so much, you wouldn't hear most blues-rock bands release songs like this (the first one is more contemporary R&B, however):

Quite disillusioned with the whole genre to be quite honest- but it is a sound I crave. I just wish there were more good artists out there for it. I usually end up listening to the same Lightnin' Hopkins and Skip James songs.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby eufemism » Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Loving any The Weeknd esque music. PARTYNEXTDOOR from OVO is in all my playlists atm. He uses bass and drums so well throughout his songs. I'm addicted to his song Right Now. The chorus is just so catchy. I find myself just singing it over and over again throughout the day.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby BobbyZamora » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 am

@chadnik that's not quite what I meant. it's strange that you would link to that album in particular, since Wolf himself described it as "dog shit". In that video, Wolf himself was probably talking about the psychedelic blues-rock of the time, which is something I actually love.

I am a huge fan of experimentation with the blues. This is one of the reasons Hendrix is my favorite musician- to me he is a blues man who was just really experimental and open with his music.

My problem with blues today is that it is mostly just regurgitation with cliched lyrics. I don't think there is enough experimentation going on, and a lot of modern blues rock songs aren't actually about anything.

B)
BobbyZamora

PreviousNext

Return to Care