[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music is my boyfriend

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am

I found it fairly underwhelming, this is coming from a longtime Burial fan. I liked rival dealer more also sooo :(

Stolsdos

Postby BIGBEE » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 pm

probably the most mediocre burial release in a while, but its comforting to know he's still alive and making music. I like the second track a lot.

BIGBEE

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:09 pm

Also this:

Stolsdos

Postby riley » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:14 pm

im feelin a bit underwhelmed as well, there were some surprising choices in samples tho, didnt expect he'd ever use a skull kid laugh, as well as the last ninja 2 sample after rabit did the same thing on tearz

riley

Postby bels » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:34 am

found this quite droll

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 am

this is wild

ramseames

Postby anotherdayhere » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:34 pm

new at the drive-in is so bad, i have never been this disappointed for music I have waited such a long time for. at least tribe didn't let me down :(

anotherdayhere

Postby chadnik » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I came across Arthur Russell a few months ago—I haven't fallen so deeply and obsessively for an artist in a long time. His music was impressively genre-bending, ranging from minimalist electronic dance/disco, country/folk, spare ambient songs with just cello and voice, prog, drone pop (?)... That being said, there are lot of commonalities across his tunes—most songs almost obsessively playing out a handful of themes/lyrics, and they all feature his lovely, versatile, froggy voice. He collaborated with Steve Reich, David Byrne, Phillip Glass, and played backing cello for Allen Ginsberg (whom he briefly dated).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5gjfN5lns[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUFv2ZUFKM[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDX0I_14OY0[/youtube]

chadnik

Postby ramseames » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 am

that's the thing, its a real product

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pi ... n-on-vinyl

i get the appeal of vinyl in terms of it being tangible/pleasingly imperfect but i agree, its not 'better' than FLACs and the price of new LP releases is honestly fucked

ramseames

Postby bels » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:43 am

What's fucked about them? I assume it's pretty expensive to crank out vinyl these days and it's basically produced for "enthusiasts" and "superfans" to buy a premium product and "support the artists" ?

I feel like it's OK to have these as expensive, overpriced limited edition macguffins that subsidise a medium. If you want to hear the music, get the mp3, if you want to SUPPORT THE INDUSTRY then get the vinyl (and the mp3, obviously)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby nope » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:07 am

The vinyl resurgence ( etc (actually that seems to mostly be down to digital sales crashing as well but whatever)) is actually really messing things up for a lot of people. There's very few pressing plants left, and setting up a new one is almost impossible because nobody makes the equipment any more. This means that small labels who can only afford to press (and often will be lucky to sell) a run of 300 are finding it harder and harder to get their stuff made, as the remaining presses will always prioritise pressing x thousand copies of a neon green "limited edition" reissue of some shit brit-pop album so cunts who watch top gear can buy them for £30+ and never listen to them.

To be fair most of them probably don't watch top gear. That was unwarranted, and unkind to vinyl buyers.

For years now Record Store Day has flooded the plants with this sort of nonsense for a couple of months every year, but it's just getting worse. As someone who buys shitloads of records and knows lots of people trying to run aforementioned small labels the whole thing is a bit of a sore spot.

nope

Postby rublev » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04 am

rublev
Political Editor

Postby ramseames » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Bought my sister a couple newer releases for her birthday a few months ago and it was literally $90 for the pair

I'm not a vinyl person myself so I could just be out of the loop with regards to historical/fair pricing but it just feels absurd

Last edited by ramseames on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramseames

Postby alby » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:50 pm

a lot of new LPs feel justified around 14-20 usd in my opinion, since often they come with art and a digital download. i think this is a good way to support the artist, since any other music I listen to is via streaming and i know artists get shit cuts for that. any of the super deluxe bullshit lps that sell for over 25+ is shitty in my mind. i don't quite understand why I can get aeroplane over the sea on one LP for 15$ but the deluxe edition costs like 34$ or some for a double lp which is more inconvenient. same quality on both tbh.

im at a weird intersection w/ vinyl right now because when I got into it I picked up a shitty turntable (just like everyone else getting into it) and the turntable is slowly doing a lot of damage to my records ( more so than a normal turntable) and that worries me. everyone buying a crosley and lp60 be wary.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby sunblam » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 pm

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IUykScNRbRc[/youtube]

a friend took me to one of his shows about a yer and a half ago
really lovely music

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby BobbyZamora » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:21 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby jrisk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:47 am

what's ur personal top albums of 2016? here's mine, mostly ranked by play count:

Mitski — Puberty 2
Blood Orange — Freetown Sound
Frank Ocean — Blonde
Solange — A Seat at the Table
Chance the Rapper — Coloring Book
Japanese Breakfast — Psychopomp
Sneaks — Gymnastics (reissue I think but w/e. If they ever put out another album, it's gonna rock so hard.)
Rihanna — ANTI
Crying — Beyond the Fleeting Gales
Kaytranada — 99.9%

Got to see Mitski (2x), Blood Orange, Japanese Breakfast (2x), Rihanna and Kaytranada live. All great shows. Lots of good concert memories this year. (smiling)

You know how sometimes, you discover a band at the perfect time; where every song sounds perfect to you and you can listen to their music over and over again? That was Mitski and Crying for me this year.

jrisk

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:11 pm

I don't really have much of a list. But Blonde is probably my AOTY. My top 3 list would probably be:

Frank Ocean - Blonde
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

I would put some honorable mentions to a lot of stuff, I enjoyed what I heard from Japanese Breakfast, Isaiah Rashad's singles were good but I didn't really listen to the whole album, Kevin Abstract had a pretty good project too. I would group Schoolboy Q into this category too but I actually listened to the whole album, pretty good but not AOTY contender. I would also give out some honorable mentions to artists I thought had some good songs but their full projects didn't really come through. These would be The Weeknd with a couple good songs of Starboy, Justice had some solid singles but the album fell flat on me. Oh yeah Vince Staples had a nice EP too.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.

Also consider checking out my music.

Follow me.
ASTROCHIMP

Postby tomsfood » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:29 pm

tie between BLONDE by frank ocean and LIGHT UPON THE LAKE by whitney

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby candy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:47 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvbY1Mqq-XI[/youtube]
been listening to a lot of the wake recently, the entire "here comes everybody" record is brilliant.

candy

Postby evilfriends » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Deakin - Good House is one of the only albums that really stood out me this year. In my opinion it's the best thing that Animal Collective (including solo projects obv) has done since MPP. I recommend checking it out to anyone who's into neo-psychedelia and folk music!

Some other albums from 2016 that I liked are Pinkshinyultrablast - Grandfeathered (Shoegaze/Metal), Holy Wave - Freaks of Nurture (Psych Rock), The Frights - You Are Going To Hate This (Surf Punk), Angel Olsen - My Woman (Indie/Songwriter), Greys - Warm Shadow (Noise Rock/Punk). Give any of those a try if you like the respective genres or you're just looking for new stuff to listen to.

One album that really caught my eye this year for a lot of different reasons is "R M H Q: Headquarters" by Roy Montgomery. Montgomery is a musician from New Zealand who has been active since the early 80s, playing in different bands while also having several solo projects. Personally I've never heard of him before I listened to Headquarters. It's one album consisting of 4 CDs with 32 songs altogether. So it's pretty long (about 3 hours) with songs lengths ranging from one minute to twenty minutes of playtime. Categorizing it is not easy, but if I had to I would say most of the songs are drone/ambient/shoegaze/folk with some songs having vocals, but most don't.

It's such an ambitious and challenging record. I haven't made it through a full listen yet, especially because it's very harsh at some parts. But it's so rewarding to try and make my way through it because this album feels like the magnum opus of a musician that's been around for a very long time. Like the summary of a passion spanning decades.

evilfriends

Postby madlib » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Last edited by madlib on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madlib

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Last edited by BobbyZamora on Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:52 am, edited 10 times in total.
B)
BobbyZamora

Postby e0d9n0b5 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:19 pm

https://soundcloud.com/greylo/oresama-g ... rsey-remix

who likes weird shit like this? who likes nightcore? hello

e0d9n0b5

Postby nevergreen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm

Let's talk some women MCs. I discovered Noname the other day through Spotify and damn she is fucking good.

After listening to To Pimp A Butterfly a lot recently I checked out Rapsody who's featured on Complexion. Super good as well.

One of my favorite verses ever is staHHr's on MF DOOM's "Guinesses"

I shoulda deaded it from genesis 'stead of hittin' the guinesses

I've listened to Sa-Roc but I don't dig her as much. Anyone else I should know about?

As for my favorite releases of this year, my top five in no particular order are:
Justin Jay & Friends - Fantastic Voyage
Flatbush Zombies - 3001: A Laced Odyssey
Zhu - Generationwhy
Justin Martin - Hello Clouds
Childish Gambino - Awaken, My Love

Honorable mentions:
Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Noname - Telefone (Haven't listened to it a ton since I just found out about her but I reaaaally dig it)
Mat Zo - Self Assemble

nevergreen

Postby ASTROCHIMP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Kid Cudi's new album is really impressing me. I was really wary going in based on his last two projects which I did not enjoy at all. However I'm blown away by this. It's not better than MOTM1(or MOTM2) in my opinion, granted that's one of my favorite albums of all time and holds a special place in my heart. I would say it is at least as good as Indicud but very different. I would absolutely give it a listen if you've enjoyed his work in the past.

I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color.

Check out my shit tumblr.

Also consider checking out my music.

Follow me.
ASTROCHIMP

Postby BIGBEE » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:13 pm

anyone have recommendations for a portable cd player? I want one with a cool backlit remote control

BIGBEE

Postby e0d9n0b5 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:49 pm

nevergreen my faves are princess nokia (i love her omg), nadia rose, kodi shane. thanks for posting these ones, haven't heard of any of them

e0d9n0b5

Postby ramseames » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:09 pm

all i want for christmas is magnums of gulden draak and unreleased chief keef songs

ramseames

Postby CMYK » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:54 pm

2016:

Increasingly I've been moving away from albums and towards singles/mixes/EP/LP as how I consume my music. Not sure how I feel about this.

Like jrisk, I had an amazing year for live music. Saw 0pn, Daughters, Kanye, Four Tet, Jon Hopkins, Floating Points, The Black Madonna, Fatima Yamaha, James Blake, Ben UFO, Clarke, Perfect Pussy, Bicep, Palms Trax, Nicolas Jaar and I'm sure a bunch of others that I've forgotten about

CMYK

PreviousNext

Return to Care