[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music, Conversation

Postby hunnish » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:15 pm

I can get a pretty clear idea of the type of music someone's referring to with the tags "alternative" or "indie"

hunnish

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 pm

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:58 am

IDressLikeShit: Sorry, I wasn't responding to your post directly as much as trying to spur conversation.

Re: Blues - I would never decry its influence, but in its modern form there's no outward expansion happening. Almost every musician is influenced by the blues in some way, but the few that self-identify as "blues musicians" are re-hashing old formulas or trying to revive old styles without breaking any new ground.

Re: Jazz - Jazz evolved fairly quickly from the basic ragtime of the late 20s to the experimental/abstract/noise/free jazz of the 80's, but since then it hasn't been further expanded as a genre (again speaking from a modern perspective). It's regressed back to being primarily live club music, but much like blues, there's little to no innovations being made within the genre.

To be clear, I love the blues and I'm a gigging jazz musician. They're genres that are dear to me, they just aren't genres that continue to expand in modern times like hip-hop. They've reached the end of their creative lifespan. They'll always live on in the die-hard giggers and the purists and even the casual fans, but their main presence is in the influences they left behind.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby SteevMike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:47 am

swans last few albums are modern blues

SteevMike

Postby SisterRayVU » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:25 pm

I think there was a Pitchfork article a few years ago describing Clipse as modern blues. I liked that idea. In a lot ways, rap has occupied the same space that blues has.

SisterRayVU

Postby BobbyZamora » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:25 am

Rap really has. Lots of parallels that one can draw between those two genres.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:02 am

My fav. band is The Grateful Dead and Nick Cave is my all time top singer. Previous choices were Polysics, Bright Eyes, Elliott Smith, Neil Diamond, Creedence Clearwater, Abdel Haleem Hafez, The Offspring and The Libertines.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby SteevMike » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:39 pm

So glad that Chris Ott is doing these videos again:

Some of the first couple episodes are pretty rough (all are worth watching, IMO) but goddamn if it didn't make me appreciate Culture Club and introduce me to a ton of great music.

SteevMike

Postby SisterRayVU » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:37 pm

SisterRayVU

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:30 pm

I am a deadhead. I don't like ALL their stuff, but I like them and I love their songs, spirit and them as a brand. They're really polarising, because they're not the type of band you can make yourself like if you expose yourself enough (I tried with friends before.)

I liked the FWD>> stuff in the past when my head was in a different place, but unlike a lot of people I just can't stand it out of a club context. I have trouble listening to something as dancey as Bloc Party outside in my own space and since I stopped going out just to get shitfaced I stopped listening to any of that stuff. Also when that kind of thing exploded it attracted total assholes and I was so over it.

I think I was around for almost the whole indie scene and it was totally like that. Bands played smallish shows and their music was played in indie clubs up and down the country. I saw the strokes, libertines, white stripes etc all at pretty small venues but always separate from a club night. I remember in London there were a few places that had bands on and Dj's later but the only one that didn't fail at it was one run by the NME (which I DJ'd at *shoulder brush*). I dunno, I reckon it's still like that, and not because of drugs or anything like that, just because of how London venues have to manage their noise levels and licensing laws.

Drugs wise the UK gets a lot, but it's not disgusting. Skunk is ever present, though it's adolescent, coke is always a thing, mdma is huge and there was a massive trend for mephodrome a few years back either side of it being legal. That was one nasty drug.

But in reality, drugs aren't all that easy to come by and they're usually shit.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 am

Very interesting. I think that's largely dissimilar from the US, at least with regards to where bands play out. There are some bars that tend to have live music, others that tend to have DJs or whatever, but by and large outside of the bigger groups which will hit a certain circuit, everything sort of goes down at the same bar.

I'm surprised that MDMA is just now having a resurgence in the US. I imagine it's largely due to the blow up of EDM and all that here which I guess has always been a thing at clubs in England, but I'm amused when CNN talks about this 'new and dangerous drug called molly'.

SisterRayVU

Postby seth83292 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 pm

For those interested, Childish Gambino's Because the Internet leaked. I really wasn't a fan of Gambino before this, wonder if this wins me over

seth83292

Postby charybdis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Camp was the first album I bought in years. I hope he's come to some sort of medium between his old stuff and the mess that was royalty.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby Runningshoes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:41 am

What do u guys think about big Sean ? Listened to hall of fame a few times through its pretty good not feeling milf or Mona Lisa (Mona Lisa Lisa moaning wow so clever)

Runningshoes

Postby b4my » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 pm

^I really don't like Big Sean, sorry haha. Something about him really really annoys me. Feel like he has nothing to say, I guess? Dunno what kanye west sees in him.

Speaking of which, I'm really sick of defending Kanye to people. You can like his music or not and obviously he says a lot of stupid things in public, but people constantly shitting on him when he's proven multiple times over that he's one of the most talented, innovative, and important figures in music is getting so irritating.

I want to write an end of year music list but I know new burial is coming out on the 17th and I'm sure that will make my top 3 at least.

Honestly, music is the most exciting thing in the world for me, like sometimes I think about the fact that I'll never listen to everything good no matter what and I just get so stoked. The Quietus just released their albums of 2013 list and I hadn't heard of most of them and they all sounded amazing. There are whole worlds of music out there I will never, ever know.

b4my

Postby Runningshoes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 pm

Kanye is a genius fuck the haters

Also full custom mmm on yeezus

Runningshoes

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 am

I'm becoming one of those old fuddy-duddies who can't keep up with new music anymore, but when I have time, I'm just gonna through so much shit and I'm excited. And yesssss, new Burial is going to be incredible.

SisterRayVU

Postby fechner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:15 am

Do you guys like garage punk type stuff? Some of my faves are FIDLAR, Thee Oh Sees, Black Lips, Tijuana Panthers, The Hives, Ty Segall, and Fugazi.

fechner

Postby b4my » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I saw one of the best shows I've ever seen last night.

It was in a disused concrete tunnel beneath one of the buildings at my school that could fit about 20 people inside it and it was set up with tvs showing static and colored lights and the band had to stand sideways because it was only about 5 feet wide. It was this local band I had never heard of and they played this COMPLETELY INSANE set including, among other things, yelpy psych/punk covers of Rage Against the Machine, Christmas carols, and the Rugrats theme, 5 minute feedback sections, a girl in a homemade costume of a watermelon head and fabric tentacles pushing through the audience, standing in front of the band for 30 seconds, and leaving, never seen again, and a finale that culminated in the band's frontman running into the audience, sitting down, and wrapping himself in bubble wrap while the band told him to imitate different animals.

It was incredible and one of my favorite examples of concerts being able to take you to some higher dimension.

b4my

Postby iwtt » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:18 pm

iwtt

Postby b4my » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:53 pm

rival dealer

jesus

b4my

Postby can- » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:48 pm

seeing canblaster and surkin next week, pretty stoked!

can-

Postby SteevMike » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm

new burial thing is great dunno if he can ever top Untrue tho

SteevMike

Postby HS_ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:34 am

I'm a big fan of electronic music but also a little bit of shoe gaze and the like.

A couple years ago I picked up on Lights Out Asia, a post-rock band, and their album Tanks and Recognizers. It was such a unique sound at an interesting time in life. It was the summer before high school started and I remember listening to it, it felt like a dream. Quite an interesting intersection of ambient, rock, and, and electronic. I listened to it religiously for at least 6 months, it was just so fitting for my day to day life. It's the soundtrack to the rainy first semester of high school. I eventually downloaded their discography and did the same all through freshman year and into sophomore year.

Now when I listen to that music it just brings me back to that time and place. It's totally ethereal. I feel like I am myself 3 years ago in my body now. It's like all my worries from back then, the plans, the friends, the feeling, float into the back of my head. It's sort of sad music in away, or at least a beautiful melancholy. That's how I feel about the time. I moved away from there a while ago, I lost good friends. But in a way it works out. The music gives me a lot to think about and mull over.

The biggest song for me is Radars Over the Ghosts of Chernobyl
Psui! Puxa! too.

HS_

Postby hmwut » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:15 am

been thinking about this album alot recently. have been coming back to it since sophomore year of high school

what a fucking rollercoaster of an album. as great as tweez and the s/t ep are, spiderland puts them in the dirt. raw, bleak, enigmatic, stunningly intricate yet completely unpretentious in it's delivery. there's so little conventional form here, and yet it's structure will knock you on your ass at first listen. they use dissonance so well in their song structure, their themes, the sound, in practically every aspect of the album, and while it may put off some at first(including myself), I just don't see how it could have been done more appropriately. six songs, and each one is perfect, both individually and as part of the album. I think don, aman in particular is a great example of the album as a whole - starts out smoky, quiet, brooding, slowly building to a barrage that ends abruptly, leaving you feeling brutalized. the lyrics are abstract and sparse, open to many interpretations from simply uplifting to hauntingly visceral.

I haven't quite heard anything like it, over two decades after it was released. despite this, it's influence cannot be understated. so many post-rock, post-hardcore and math rock bands draw from slint, and yet, no one has done slint better than slint, or even come remotely close to doing so.

listen to it. with headphones.

hmwut

Postby starfox64 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:44 pm

ugh

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby sensodyne » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Coachella line up released

Im pretty excited on this line up, hope Rudimental is playing as a band as opposed to a dj set.
Anyone you guys would recommend as far as good music or good performers?

sensodyne

Postby odradek » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:03 pm

holy shit the 'mats

odradek

Postby SteevMike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:28 am

so excited for coachella sorry your lineup is all screwed up sensodyne

SteevMike

Postby deadkitty » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:39 am

speaking of festivals...

I really want to go to Laneway and it's super aggravating because 90% of the bands playing are bands that I really really like but it's R18 and I'm not 18 for another 6 months. I've been looking pretty hard for a fake, but no luck so far. ugh

deadkitty

PreviousNext

Return to Care