[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Music is my boyfriend

Postby charybdis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 am

Last edited by charybdis on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Re: Music, Conversation

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 am

I've had music playing in my head constantly for years, not a moment goes by where I'm not either remembering music or inventing new music in my head or with my hands or feet or joints or teeth. I think music is similar to love in that it's one of the few things in reality that can transcend the human experience.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby kyung » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:46 am

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby SisterRayVU » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:06 am

One of my favorite quotes about music may be apocryphal but it's colored my thought nevertheless. Supposedly Coltrane said he just wanted to make beautiful noise. I thought that was a wonderful expression, especially considering how his career progressed. But think about it in the context of music. My Bloody Valentine buried their changes in fuzzy noise. The Jesus and Mary Chain simultaneously used noise to obscure their bubblegum, Beach Boys inclination, but also used noise to lift out their melodies. Sonic Youth made some of the most wonderful songs out of noise.

I like the idea of noise and of visual snow represented aurally. You still see the image but it's hidden by distortion. And sometimes one piece of the image just comes through extremely clear and that's something I like I guess.

Last edited by SisterRayVU on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SisterRayVU

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:19 am

Haven't watched the MIA interview yet but just a few related things:

messy profile of her that is not especially flattering but also has some journalistic flaws:

maya's response:

some kind of rundown of everything that happened. i don't think either people involved come off especially well.

anyway, i haven't listened to her newest album but MAYA was a huge disappointment, especially because Kala is like a 10/10.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby sknss » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:30 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby b4my » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:33 am

b4my

Postby SisterRayVU » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:52 am

SisterRayVU

Postby SisterRayVU » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 am

And yeah, Burial is one of my favorites. Should be spoken of in the same sentence as Coltrane, Lou Reed, etc. He described his music as the filtered sound you get when you're walking around the streets and you hear the clubs but can't get in. But yeah, I also love music that's so identifiable as being from one place in specific. Burial is distinctly London music. He couldn't be from NYC, LA, Boston, or anywhere except London. So cool.

SisterRayVU

Postby charybdis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:33 am

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby bels » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:13 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:16 am

It's really funny how my tastes have evolved over time. I don't really remember much about my tastes pre-ipod (12 or 13 I believe) except for one very special song that I remember listening to with a really close childhood friend who has since moved away and I don't see anymore. That song: "All the Small Things" by blink-182.

I think when I first got my iPod I listened to a bunch of rock; my uncle gave me his music collection which consisted of a lot of classic rock, with a few more recent things like Green Day. I remember liking the pop-rock (pop-punk? I suck at putting music into genres) shit like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte. From there I moved on to more modern rock; my freshman year of high school I went to a concert for Papa Roach, Buckcherry, and Hinder. I do remember Guitar Hero contributing a lot to my tastes. Some mid-high school loves: Linkin Park (who I still love their albums, even the later ones, but it seems like they're putting all their energy into a fucking MMO game?!), Rise Against (whose albums have become a lot more explicitly political which annoys the fuck out of me), Rage Against the Machine, and Three Days Grace.

I also started listening to alternative stuff. Weezer (skipped senior homecoming to go to a concert of theirs, as did many others from my school), Muse, Incubus, RHCP were a few that I really enjoyed. Gradually moved into more indie-ish stuff like Bon Iver, Mumford and Sons, Naked and Famous, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, etc.

Right now I'm into listening to classical, though for the most part I couldn't name a song if I heard it. Listen to a fair amount of classic rock too (AC/DC, Guns n Roses, "Sultans of Swing" is my goddamn jam!), a fair amount of alternative/indie stuff (though largely I get new bands from the radio and I don't really listen to it this year), a teeny bit of hiphop/rap, and a few game/movie soundtracks. Oh, and also really big on 90's alternative/grunge/rock, which is sort of interesting in that I recognize almost all the songs, even if I couldn't tell you the artist/song, given I was around 7 when the 90s ended.

There's a lot of music that I discovered relatively late in my life, bands like Foo Fighters, blink-182, Billy Joel, Nirvana, etc. Hell I don't even consider myself to have "discovered" the Beatles. I like their music but I still haven't really invested any time in consuming their discography.

TL;DR This is an extremely long post and I apologize

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby agvs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 am

Most of this will probably sound pretentious but whatever...

I used to live and breathe music. I play a bunch of instruments (only guitar proficiently) and write songs. I had been doing that so long that it was actually ruining listening to other people's music for me. I couldn't get into anything beyond trying to analyze the melody, song structure, etc. Now that I haven't written or created anything in a while I can actually enjoy music again.

When I'm writing or recording or performing it's the only time I ever feel a complete sense of peace (maybe not the right word). A bit dramatic but it's honestly what I feel like it's what I am meant to do. I can get lost in it. I guess it's kind of a spiritual thing for me.

When I was real young I loved hip hop but that was more me trying to fit in with a group of people. Grunge hit when I was an angst-y teen so it was right up my alley. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc. My brother got me into Led Zeppelin and from there I went through all the standard classic rock stuff - The Beatles, Stones, Jimi, Dylan (pre and post electric), Pink Floyd, The Who. Nowadays it's usually more mellow stuff Wilco, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, The Avett Brothers. I really like bluegrass and old country music (think Gram Parsons) but I don't know a whole lot about it.

Also been meaning to listen to more M. Ward

agvs

Postby SteevMike » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:14 pm

In my hometown, there was only one FM station (started in 2001!), MuchMusic, and the CD selection at Wal-Mart. Most people listened to the same music, and if you weren't into that music you just had to deal with it. This was like the late 90s/early 2000s so pop music was in dire straits. I remember when everyone in my town started getting internet and the principal of our school interrupted our class and showed us all how to use Napster. That, combined with various music subforums of non-music message boards, was the only way for me to find music.

I think the first non-hugely-popular band I really latched onto was Bad Religion, which drew me into late 80s-early 90s guitar bands (faith no more! nirvana! smashing pumpkins!), which directly led me to finding more difficult (every other mike patton project, early boredoms) and beautiful (later boredoms, MBV, bedhead) music.

SteevMike

Postby Catfush » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I was never really into music in my childhood or early adolescence. I would listen to current stuff from essentially every popular genre, but I think I did it to fit in with my peers.

It wasn't until I was 18 that I started finding some value in music. My friends had me listen to "Little Lion Man" by Mumford and Sons and I thought, "Hey, this sounds pretty neat." So I started exploring folk and bluegrass music on youtube and I eventually stumbled upon Fleet Foxes. I remember listening to songs like "Helplessness Blues" and "The Shrine/An Argument" and feeling this sense of elation and connection with myself. Music had never made me feel this way before, and I'm not entirely certain if I was projecting my newfound spirituality onto the music, or if the music was creating a sense of spirituality. Either way, listening to them became a very spiritual experience for me.

I'm now listening to The Avett Brothers, Bon Iver, Beach House, Tame Impala, Volcano Choir, The Antlers, and St. Vincent. And while I enjoy all of them, only The Avett Brothers and Bon Iver give me that spiritual elation, and I listen to Bon Iver's entire self-titled album almost every day.

I guess I realized that it's not about what music I listen to, what merit the artist has in the industry, how big they are, how creative they are, etc. It's about what the music does for me that matters.

Catfush

Postby can- » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:03 pm

what the hell is the new m83 all about

can-

Postby Stingray Sam » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:36 pm

i really love music, but i haven't really analyzed my relationship with it much. I agree with dwindles about having specific sounds remind you of certain events or people. To me a lot of sounds just represent an idea and i really like it, not the lyrics, not the chord progression or anything, just the entire sound of a song or whatever represents an idea that is deeply personal to me. i really like a variety of music, i enjoy hip hop that has either a really downbeat chill sound or a real aggressive sort of punk/metal influence. I enjoy the emotion behind punk, but i can only take so much before a lot of it starts sounding generic to me. In the vein of punk i enjoy music that incorporates a lot of heavy noise and distortion without much drive, like an almost apathetic anger. I really enjoy bright eyes or any other music that makes me feel sad and depressed. i also like folk/blues music (not contemporary folk like fleet foxes, though they are good) like greg brown, as well as traditional blues music. I think what i most enjoy about blues is the story telling aspect. i like some indie/indie pop music that is more mainstream, but a lot of it sounds very generic to me and i'll almost exclusively listen to it for the novelty of it. I like house music as well, particularly stuff coming out of france, i also love james blake. i also like b4's description of music that sounds like the background noise of the world like driving through the rain or being half asleep on a bus, i like music that i can fall asleep to and wake up feeling like i'm somewhere else. i feel like bright eyes incorporates a lot of sounds that makes me feel that way. I also love jazz and have been getting into classical lately, just listening to it on the radio. I want to go to the symphony sometime though

Stingray Sam

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 am

UnwashedMolasses

Postby deadkitty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 am

a really fantastic analysis of The Beatles and why (in Piero Scaruffi's opinion) they're overrated

deadkitty

Postby Syeknom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:44 am

I've not read the article sorry but do feel that putting any energy into describing bands or music as "overrated" is almost entirely ridiculous. I don't get why we feel compelled to quantify the extent to which a band's music is enjoyed by others or in the popular sphere and if this is Correctly Justified or not.

Syeknom

Postby deadkitty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:50 am

Well to be fair, Scaruffi is a music critic, so that's what he does. It's the same as any art form.

deadkitty

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:07 am

It doesn't really matter though if the Beatles are "overrated". They unarguably changed music in a huge way- you could go on for hours, pointing out holes in Jimi Hendrix's technical guitar playing ability, Muddy Water's' songwriting, or Bob Dylan's singing, but in the end it's irrelevant. Once you pass personal enjoyment/subjectivity, the only quantifiable way to judge music is by how much it influenced other music.

Besides, just like fashion, music isn't about better or unique. It's about "different", and the Beatles definitely created their own unique sound that people replicated and put their own spins on for decades afterwards (people still do it today.)

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby deadkitty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:11 am

There is no quantifiable way to judge music. How do you quantify influence? That doesn't mean it isn't interesting to hear a different take on a band that hasn't had much of anything except universal praise for the last 40-odd years.

deadkitty

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:15 am

Have you ever listened to how most solo guitar sounded pre-Jimi Hendrix? Or how rap sounded before Rakim? Have you ever looked up the Amen Break?

There are tons of ways to quantify influence. Many musicians just flat-out say it, and make it obvious. A good portion of Jimi Hendrix's discography was made up of Muddy Waters covers.

I don't consider the link you posted very interesting; it's mainly just a guy being overly negative and cynical toward a band he doesn't like and insulting rock as a genre. The whole "The Beatles are overrated, they were just a pop band." discussion isn't anything new either.

Last edited by BobbyZamora on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
B)
BobbyZamora

Postby deadkitty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:20 am

Also, to your second point, how "different" were The Beatles? I think Scaruffi makes a really good point that it seemed as though The Beatles looked at other types of music and said "hey let's do that!" However, I do think that he majorly underrates their ability to take these other genres and make them much more accessible and in turn bringing them to a much wider audience.

deadkitty

Postby deadkitty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 am

How do you quantify influence then? Can you give me a number? Whether The Beatles were influential or not is beside the point anyway and doesn't make any of Scaruffi's points less valid.

deadkitty

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:33 am

Every musician did that. "Different" doesn't mean something completely new, or something super-innovative. It means exactly what it says; that they were different, and for whatever reason it appealed to people. Art isn't a science, and you really can't quantify anything other than people's reactions to it- even though you can quantify the building blocks (music theory, etc)

This is why people like to listen to covers. Different artists can bring something unique out from a different style or even song; it's rare (and usually boring) to encounter a "perfect copy." Most blues (and folk) songs had the same chord structures, and often the same (or similar) lyrics. What made two different artists stand out was just the quirks and unique qualities in their delivery/interpretations.

And if I gruelingly spent a few months I could probably give you a number of the amount of artists (Both respected/successful, and not.) who cite "The Beatles" as one of their major influences, or have a bunch of Beatles covers in their discographies, or a sound that reminds one of that classic "Beatles sound" (I'm not going to do that though- you probably aren't going to deny that The Beatles were influential.)

The whole discussion revolving around certain artists being "overrated" is silly. I've skimmed over the article and there are tons of lame, pretentious mentions of "elevating rock music to art", "real musicians" and "sophistication". These things only extend themselves in to greater, dumber discussions about what "real music" is, and overdone discussions about how pop music is "pointless drivel." Pure snobbery.

It's also a travesty that the "influence" he attributes to Jimi Hendrix is "furthering the myth of LSD." Really a silly article, and much too long for what it's actually saying.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby SteevMike » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Two notes about Scaruffi:
1) He thinks that Ringo was the most talented Beatle
2) He thinks that Fred Durst is one of the "best male rock singers of all time"

SteevMike

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:58 pm

My musical tastes have evolved in a pretty straightforward manner, I guess- although they've ended up pretty eclectic. The first time I recall being "into music" was just after I got in to highschool, where I mainly just listened to terrible powermetal bands. That sort of tapered off, and I mainly listened to vidoegame remixes (OCremix) for a lengthy period of time until I started listening to classic rock and picked up the guitar and the harmonica, which threw me down in to the well of blues music.

For a decent period I was one of those obnoxious "music fans" who complained incessantly about pop music and hip hop, but the more I got absorbed in to the blues and the more I experimented with the guitar the more my mind opened up to other forms of music; I realized how influential the blues was and how dead simple it was as well- the chord structures were all the same, these guys pretty much just stole the most basic and catchy riffs from eachother over and over again, and their lyrics talked about nothing but trains and women and drugs. Rock and roll was just the blues with a backbeat- it was important and great, and yet it was so unnecessarily deified by "music fans" even though it was so simple.

I started to get a feel for rhythm and learned a lot about music history, and I guess that just naturally lead me in to liking hip hop and electronic/dancey sort of music. These days my taste is a balancing act between blues, classic rock, rap, mopey alternative rock, indie-folk, post-rock and the aforementioned electronic/dancey stuff (Which is annoying and difficult to categorize since it's all over the place, probably more than one genre..)

My favorite artists are probably Jimi Hendrix, Kanye West, Bob Dylan, Skip James and Gramatik. Though I like a lot more than that; Velvet Underground, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Recluse, The Pixies, Kendrick Lamar, Danny Brown, GY!BE, The Protomen, Tom Waits, Howlin' Wolf, Shawn James, Gary Clark Jr, dozens of other artists.

The blues is probably my favorite genre.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Assertions:

Blues is a dead genre.

Jazz has expended its innovations and now exists primarily in one of its earlier forms, club musix.

"Alternative" and "Indie" as descriptors hold no value or meaning other than the most literal interpretations.

Question:

Are trends in pop music a reflection of cultural change or do they influence culture? I study pop trends as an aspect of my career and it's always interesting to see different fads of rhythm and melody and production and instrumentation change over the months/years.

UnwashedMolasses

Next

Return to Care