[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: overdressed, undereducated: let's talk about school!

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:04 am

i passed my qualifying exam earlier this morning and got my masters!

now onto the remaining trudge towards the phd...

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby CleanThug » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:34 pm

CleanThug

Postby mahi-mahi » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm a sophomore in HS and I keep getting emails from colleges and its stressing and i don't even know what I want.

mahi-mahi

Postby smass » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:11 pm

I'm taking an apparel industry class and we mainly talk about trends and forecasting and stuff. Each week we have to bring in an article related to fashion, and nearly everyone brought in stuff about NYFW. Of course Kanye was brought up but it just seemed like no one knew what they were talking about. Everyone just said "it was cool" or "I really liked it". I had so much to say but didn't get the opportunity to. And not even today, but so far this semester we haven't had one intelligent conversation about fashion. I guess I can't really expect anything since almost all the girls show up to class in leggings, uggs, and highlighter pink victoria secret sweat jackets. I'm trying not to be judgmental but its difficult when no one you go to school with has the same fashion interests.

smass

Postby Yoder » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Went to go see one of my professors about TA positions just to get a better idea of what she was looking for and things went really well, at the end of our meeting she stood up and I first went for a handshake and took the look of confusion the wrong way, began leaning in for a hug, which turned into a weird half hug and ended with her saying "you experience a lot of awkward moments, huh?"

Is there a cringe thread because this might be better there *blushes*

Yoder

Postby Ques » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:58 am

had the realization while almost falling asleep out of sheer boredom in my linear algebra class that i fucking hate proofs and most of what math is becoming at a high level, and have no idea why i'm doing a math minor, especially since i'm taking 20 credits just to fit it in. i think i'm going to withdraw and cancel the minor, i don't think it would have realistically improved my job prospects anyway, and that line of thinking in general is problematic so i think this is a good decision

on the other hand i'm crazy passionate about my other four classes -- linguistics, early chinese literature, chinese and french, so i'm excited to be able to devote more time to studying those

oh also i found out that i was officially accepted for a year of china, first in jinan and then in beijing, shipping out august 30th, woo~~

Ques

Postby ptozzi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:50 pm

ptozzi

Postby sparkyoriental » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm in my last semester of undergrad and I just don't give a shit anymore. Give me Cs and I'll be satisfied! Need to graduate. Need to graduate. Need to graduate.

sparkyoriental

Postby momjeans » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:47 pm

Starting to feel like school isn't the thing for me. I feel like most of the learning that I'm doing could be done outside of it, but I'm still kind of hanging on to a romanticization of what I want it to be like.

momjeans

Postby uniacto » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:24 pm

registration is tomorrow morning at 6 am for me. i hope i can wake up

uniacto

Postby meatjacket » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:33 pm

grades are all A's except a 89

and a 68 in AP Calculus :/. Really should start staying after because I get it the day we learn it, i get it the day of an assignment, and when a test comes along, I bomb it!

any sites i could use for help? i would really like if wolfram alpha would just take me through the step by step solution

meatjacket

Postby ramseames » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Doing the hw the day of is super huge

I've done poorly in a bunch of calc classes b4 and the only reason I'm doing aight in this one is that I'm being proactive about the work

Paid wolfram has step by step instructions but I've never used it so idk how it is

ramseames

Postby Stolsdos » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:47 am

I got into UT CS today so excited.
On another note, can someone give me tips for physics? I'm slipping away due to a lack of foundation. The math isn't hard, I just have a difficult time coming up with the equations to solve for 'x' and 'y.' If I could find some way to use calculus for every problem that would be great.
I've decided to just take a physics class in college, but it would be great to have a more stable understanding so I can get an A.

Stolsdos

Postby eli7 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:37 pm

I just got the official word that I'm being made offers at my first and second choices for PhD's with full fellowships! Pretty happy considering how I barely made it through the arduous grad school application process. Well at least now I have some certainty in what I'll be doing for the next 5+ years...

eli7

Postby Yoder » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 pm

flunking an exam you felt confident about sucks, especially when its the first one in the class :/

Digging out of a grade related hole is v stressful

Yoder

Postby JewTurk » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 pm

*creams pants*

JewTurk

Postby smass » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Getting a lot done in a short amount of time feels really great. I haven't been this productive in a really long time, and not even in regards to school work. The 4 hour long stress-induced crying mental break down forced me to finally re-write my resume, find some potential internships, and form a relationship with one of my favorite fashion teachers and the department advisor. It also forced me to look into declaring a studio art minor since I already completed some of the requirements and I've really loved them and the professors. Having a crazy overwhelming amount of work could be a good thing?? Sure makes you feel shitty but it has a good outcome in some cases.

smass

Postby uniacto » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 am

just flunked my first test ever in my school career. 2nd quarter ochem, felt bad about the test going out, grades that just got posted affirmed that feeling. two weeks until the final, not looking forward to that.

thai language teacher is starting to give daily quizzes about past vocab along with the normal chapter test at the end of every week. i was doing badly in that class to begin with, it's not looking to be any less stressful now. i suck at language retention (7 years of chinese school and 3 years of spanish class proves this). as of right now, i've spent the past 2 hours working on 3 chapters worth of vocab from last quarter and they're all getting jumbled around in my head. flash cards dont work for me so it's just rote memorization at this point by writing and saying the words.

ochem lab for me ends at 8:30 pm on tuesdays and thursdays so I can't study for thai tests very well on those days, since i have to bus home as well, which takes 45 minutes or so. prelab and post lab writeups take up too much of my time.

the only thing i've got going for me is biopsych, which is actually pretty fun for me.

this winter quarter isn't looking good flaxsisters :(

uniacto

Postby Stingray Sam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm

TBH I am kinda tired of school and would really just like to start working full time

Stingray Sam

Postby exprof » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:59 am

realizing i really like learning about computers but i hate programming haha.....

also art school grading is essentially pre-destined by how cool ur profs think you are

exprof

Postby mknro » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 am

Planning 'stay in and catch up' days, like today, just to spend all of it lying in bed on my laptop.

Academics really isn't for me. I'm the laziest student in the world. Second year at uni, never go to lectures, and never do any work except for allnighters before exams. Really wish I was improving, but I'm only getting better at the allnighters.

mknro

Postby Ques » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:30 pm

chinese has somehow gone from being my easiest class to being my hardest without me realizing, didn't understand how difficult the cumulative nature of it was going to be. APPARENTLY i've learned almost 2k characters, but as we continue to learn more it's becoming more and more impossible to find time to keep up with all the old ones

Ques

Postby starfox64 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:32 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby stappard_ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:14 pm

stappard_

Postby silvaeri » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 pm

wondering if going to school was the right decision right now tbh. feels like i've wasted 5 years and way to much money here

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby nothobo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:50 pm

nothobo

Postby can- » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:44 pm

take a year off and work

can-

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Does anyone else applaud when a lecturer finishes the last lecture they'll give to you? It's somehow become a thing in my Physics course and my other friends say it doesn't happen with them.

DeafIdiotGod

Postby thecanadiancook » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:09 am

That feeling when your favorite professor instead of asking you if you want to do a Masters with her just tells you. So it looks like I am graduating in April and then working as a lab technician over the summer at her facility and then back to school next January for a Masters in Food Microbiology.

Maybe get a cooking certification along the way... I have enough hours to challenge the exam. Looks like life is indeed a continued learning process.

Victim to the Diderot effect // //
thecanadiancook

Postby ptozzi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:59 pm

I didn't want to spend my spring break writing a speech on "the Band-Aid of the future" or a report about the financial efficacy of building a chemical plant.

ptozzi

PreviousNext

Return to Care