[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: School

Postby ptozzi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:14 pm

Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics is the worst class ever. It's probably just the professor. Curveballs thrown on every exam and he's a harsh grader too. Really wish I could have got into the section with the professor who wrote the textbook.

ptozzi

Postby aliencomingin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:03 am

Last exam for the year tomorrow yay! now I just need to write a personal statement on why I want to transfer courses. In other news I quit my shitty job, looking for a less shitty job now yay!

aliencomingin

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Wow! College got a lot easier when I decided to go to sleep at a normal time. (Previously going to bed at 4:30am wake up at 6:30am)
I got a 63 on my first calc exam to a 95 on this one.

Stolsdos

Postby popcorn » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:25 am

Columbia ED application is out.

Now commences the 45-day gray zone where I have no idea whether or not my dreams are coming true. Getting chick-fil-a for all my revisers and recommendations tomorrow morning. You guys should also know that I was asked for a list of print and web sources I read frequently, so I listed care-tags.org, a 'fledgling international fashion, design, and culture discussion board.' I provided monkey's 'Antwerp Six' thread as 'exemplary content'.

Also, I should've began earlier. Like, a year earlier. My junior friend who helped me with my revisions (she's #2 in her class to a math prodigy and is looking at Penn predominantly) has already read a book on writing quality college apps. I thought this was peculiar until I asked my friend Rakib, who had apparently done the same, and my friend Krishna, who only got 10 pages into his. I'm truly overdressed and under-prepared.

apparently they'll either offer me an alumni interview or they won't, depending on if they have one in the area. My brother got an interview, though, so I'm hoping for the same. I can use it. :*)

popcorn

Postby thephfactor » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 am

Things are going okay. Think imma cop a English minor. I think it's kinda fucked up that I'm more excited about maybe doing an English minor than I've ever been about my majors.

thephfactor

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:08 pm

:???:

mc-lunar

Postby bird.in.flight » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:02 pm

HEY EXAMINERS
YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE GREAT?
GIVING US THE DATA SHEET WE NEED TO DO 80% OF THE EXAM AT THE START
RATHER THAN 1 HOUR AND 40 MINUTES INTO THE EXAM

bird.in.flight

Postby Noah » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:30 pm

In HS right now, grades suck. I'm working on making them better and they are in fact going up but slowly. I hope I can get them to an acceptable level by the end of this year.

Noah

Postby bird.in.flight » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:29 am

bird.in.flight

Postby thephfactor » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:32 pm

thephfactor

Postby teck » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:14 am

Whoa!

teck

Postby ramseames » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:09 am

having a philosophy degree =/= working as a philosopher though

and philosophy professors aren't "practicing philosophers" (whatever that means in 2015 lol), they're just teachers who are paid teaching wages

Marco Rubio is an idiot but this isn't so cut and dry

ramseames

Postby INNIT » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:14 am

Last edited by INNIT on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
INNIT

Postby teck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:23 pm

teck

Postby ramseames » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:13 pm

College is generally a good investment, 100% would never argue otherwise.

Not all degrees are equal though:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... ofthenerds

To talk specifically about philosophy professors; they probably have 3 degrees, didn't start working until nearly 30, and live in high cost of living areas (welders in these areas likely earn a lot more than the nationwide average correspondingly).

And then that only looks at the people with philosophy degrees who were able to find work in their field (which is presumably not a high percentage).

ramseames

Postby thephfactor » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:57 pm

thephfactor

Postby Ques » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 am

say there's a really incredible scholarship that perfectly aligns with my career path, but one of the goals of the scholarship is to get more women and underrepresented minorities into a profession dominated by white men. being a white man, should i refrain from applying or should i apply anyway?

Ques

Postby Cowboy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 am

Cowboy

Postby lyysander » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:40 am

lyysander

Postby sparkyoriental » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Does anyone here have an MBA?

I've been thinking about doing a part time/reputable online one so I can continue working while studying. I'm in Corporate IT now, but I'd like to switch to pure business further along in my career. At this point, I don't feel prepared qualifications wise or experience wise to make the jump, and I was thinking an MBA would help.

I've heard mixed opinions on the part-time MBA/online MBA track, especially doubts about its ROI.

sparkyoriental

Postby zigfip » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:09 am

I'm a biochem major, and all my science classes are going fine (O-chem is tearing me a new one, but I guess that's to be expected). My school requiress me to take a number of humanities courses, though, and I'm having a really hard time participating in class discussions, thinking up things to say, etc. It sounds corny but one of the reasons I made this account is so I can get better at joining discussions and stuff like that... so thanks for (potentially) helping me raise my discussion grades. :woop:

zigfip

Postby Ques » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:30 am

currently a foreign languages and literatures major, but thinking of switching to east asian studies. because of stupid bureaucracy (just kidding i love bureaucracy) the choice really comes down to which classes i'm taking my senior year (next year):

taking 12 credits of french, and some upper level chinese language courses w/ optional thesis

or

taking 20 credits of chinese history, sociology, and art courses AND writing a mandatory thesis

so the real issue is whether or not i want to continue with french, or focus fully on learning more about china/east asia. i realize that that's a personal question, but i was also wondering if any c-t peeps had any insights/life-knowledge-that-comes-from-being-older-and-wiser that they'd like to share with me.

Ques

Postby Vaeltaja » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:59 am

Class I'm planning on retaking bumped me from the 9:30/9 section to a new section that's 8:30/8. Hating everything. Hopefully I can get back into the 9:30 section but it's annoying that I don't have a really nice schedule for my final semester because of a series of fuck ups throughout college.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby popcorn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:05 am

popcorn

Postby Ques » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 am

i don't think it's fair to make blanket statements about the "acumen" of students at schools simply because of the perceived rank or prestige of the institution. you're going to find incredibly talented students wherever you look, and you'll still find duds at ivies who only got there because of their privilege -- see one of our recent presidents.

Ques

Postby popcorn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:57 am

popcorn

Postby adiabatic » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:34 am

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby JewTurk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

I definitely ascribe to the whole "if you're the smartest person in the room you're in the wrong room". I'm finishing my first semester at my state school and I can definitely attest to what @Ques is saying. You just need to find the more academically inclined.

Your education is what you make of it.

I know for me the best decision I made was joining my school's Putnam exam team. There are only 5 of us taking the test but we're all incredibly passionate about it and it exposed me to some of the more academically inclined people at my university and that has helped an exceptional amount.

JewTurk

Postby gustavobradley » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Anyone else write the LSAT today? How did it go?

https://instagram.com/deadlvng // haelegen.tumblr.com
gustavobradley

Postby Naka_ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:24 pm

I've been accepted into a competitive Fashion Design course in my city and I'm so fucking excited to go back to uni! Being accepted after applying and failing last year is a gratifying experience.
If you're interested, have a peep at some work I submitted for my folio, it's not perfect but I was pretty pleased with it.

Naka_

PreviousNext

Return to Care