[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: overdressed, undereducated: let's talk about school!

Postby JewTurk » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 pm

So far things are really manageable, 18 credits hasn't been that bad so far. Especially considering my most time-consuming class has nothing to do with my majors, it's just the required class to be in the honors college.

Currently a sophomore though with regards to credits because of all the AP credits I transferred which may come back to bite me in the ass when housing comes around because they prioritize by accumulated credits.

But, luckily, the program I'm in (Global Science and Engineering Program, GSEP), gets priority housing in the International House (iHouse), for all of the programs members so I'm not too worried about getting a spot on campus. And I'll live with someone from a spanish speaking country which will be an awesome help.

My only thing right now is trying to plan for this 5 year program in 4 years, the 5 year program includes a year abroad (one semester study, one semester internship in foreign country). I'm trying to move that year abroad up to my third year and graduating my fourth year, but I'll be taking 18+ credit semesters and probably a handful of summer classes.

Things are good, I'm keeping busy, pushing myself as much as possible. I definitely fit in better with more academically oriented groups and clubs.

Though I do feel like the dorm I'm in is kind of a at set back with regards to who I'm surrounding myself with, even though it's the honors college, I'm the only one taking Calc III out of 400+ people living in this dorm. I kind of wish I had chosen to live in an engineering learning community (dorm) so that I was around more academically inclined people. The honors dorm is just a myriad of majors and seemingly no unifying characteristics. It is 24hr quiet hours though which is nice. But beyond that I don't really get many advantages from living here.

JewTurk

Re: School

Postby thecanadiancook » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:54 pm

3 weeks into grad school and I am already thinking what if I have made a huge mistake.

Also TA'ing this term. I hope my students think I am cool. The first lab we ate snacks and drank soda / grape Kool-aid. Next lab we eat pasta and rice.

Victim to the Diderot effect // //
thecanadiancook

Postby brlmski » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:01 am

brlmski

Postby cormac » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:27 pm

After much deliberation, I changed my major (and tentative life path) to something I really enjoy, and I'm loving my classes now that I actually care about learning the material. I figured out that I value learning and understanding things just about above all else, so I'm moving from business to psych/English with a plan to become a research psychologist. I'm already enjoying the hell out of all my classes, whereas business classes felt like chores. I feel much more at peace with myself.

cormac

Postby evilfriends » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 am

Just received my university schedule and it could hardly be any more chill. Two 8am classes which might become a problem, but monday tuesday and friday are pretty much free days/study days so it's fine.

evilfriends

Postby chilljin » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:03 pm

need some advice

Been in Leiden for nearly 3 weeks now, studying here at the University.

The Netherlands is a lovely place, incredibly beautiful people and scenery - problem is that after a short stint homeless the only housing that has been offered to me is 535 eur per month, including a 950 eur fee - huge increase to what I was told/expected to pay. Plus, It's in Den Haag, a different city to Leiden. The commute is 15 minutes by train, but have to factor in the price and the fact I'd have to leave friends early to get the train and such.

Living poor itself doesn't really phase me, I can get by on minimal funds. It's just that stacking that up against the fact that in 3 weeks I haven't really made any friends - I missed the introduction week due to being at my sisters wedding, and everybody already seems immersed in their cliques. Went out last night to an international pub which was alright, but again I only met two people and that's because they had a bet that I was English. Don't misunderstand me here - it's not like I'm sitting and waiting for people to approach me, it's hard to gain friendship from forced interaction in a bar.

I'm just really unsure of what to do - the communication and help received from both Home and Host university has been displeasing, to say the least. My home university has informed me that I can switch back to my normal 3 year degree if I so please, so I've been weighing up my options to decide what to do with my life. What i'm studying in Leiden isn't really interesting as they for some reason don't let internationals onto the English Literature course despite it being taught in English, so I'm studying easy stuff non-related to what I enjoy.

I don't want to waste the opportunity of living in Europe, and how fantastic of an opportunity it is. I just don't want to end up poor and miserable with no friends, but I'm not sure how much of my loneliness can be accredited to the fact that I haven't really settled in at all with nowhere to live, thus limited interaction, whilst also having lots of alone time to miss my friends back home and the thought of graduating with them.

chilljin

Postby bels » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:40 pm

when do you need to decide if you want to switch back to the three year degree? And what is it that phasese you about staying? Do you feel like you'll waste the year, be miserable, not have anything good to show for it?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby brlmski » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:13 pm

honestly if what they're letting you study while in the netherlands is not interesting AND will add more time to your degree combined with the living/social situation, I would go back to england.

brlmski

Postby chilljin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:50 pm

decided to stay fuck giving up

just time to grow up a bit i guess

chilljin

Postby bels » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:15 pm

I think that you'll make the most of it. I wouldn't worry about your friends graduating at a different time or whatever because you'll just make more friends when you get back.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Juugx86 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:23 pm

First day of school I come home with a massive headache, fever and semi depersonalization :sweg:

Juugx86

Postby Cowboy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:14 pm

I JUST WON A DEBATE TOURNAMENT WHOO

I've been working for this moment for over a year!!!!! I trounced the finals it was a total smash down I am bouncing with joy and I can now trust myself more as a debater because I'm not bad!!!!!
I'm so happy that feels post was about my last debate tourney going bad but who cares anymore!

Monumental!!!!!!

E: I realize how immature this post sounds so if it annoys you

Fuck you lol

Cowboy

Postby finolino » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:32 pm

bringing a sleeping bag to college in lieu of a blanket was definitely a good idea

now every night feels like summer camp all over again

finolino

Postby lyysander » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 pm

I started teaching first grade this year.

It's weird transitioning from listening to lectures to teaching The Lorax.

lyysander

Postby JonjoShelvey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:42 pm

Has anyone been to/is anyone in ART SCHOOL? How is it? Would you recommend it? There's a good art school in Chicago I wanna go to but idk if it's worth it.

JonjoShelvey

Postby brlmski » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:14 pm

brlmski

Postby momjeans » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:51 pm

my quarter started yesterday and im already behind on readings....

also my teachers made it clear i would be doing 20-24 credits of work but only getting 16 credits

momjeans

Postby Cowboy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 am

My history teacher does afternoons at the community college and fills out every stereotype of a college history professor.

Old white dude who's answer to every question is "check the syllabus" or "ask google this question"

Cowboy

Postby earthonator » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:36 pm

any COOL teens take the psat? apparently middle easterners are white ???

earthonator

Postby hamburgerlady » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:57 pm

hamburgerlady

Postby Cowboy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Cowboy

Postby Vaeltaja » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:44 pm

Going to register for classes soon.

The bad: 9 AM Thursday and 9:30 AM MWF class. This is a class I'm retaking in order to hopefully actually get my cs degree

The ugly: I don't think I see a single class I want to take "for fun" except one that conflicts with another class I need to take... also that means I'll have taken 0 classes for pure enjoyment throughout my entire college career

The good: That means I might just take 3 classes instead.

The annoying: That means I have a huge gap since it'll be classes from 9:30 to 10:30 and then no class til 1:30... I'll probably end up staying up really late every day, hating myself in the mornings and then taking massive naps.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby setfiretoflames » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Absolutely killing myself this semester. 18 credits and working ~25 hours a week to support my food and clothing habits. It's really tough but been getting better recently as I've been finishing off my midterms. I should be graduating in December, and then its off to find a job.

Really into my East Asian Politics and Comparative Politics of Africa classes right now.

setfiretoflames

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:26 am

gonna pull a vaeltaja and schiaparelli soon cos university is kicking my ass

mc-lunar

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I still haven't been to this one class this semester. The prof sent out an email gently reminding everyone to attend. Woops. Guess I'll go now.

SisterRayVU

Postby weqe » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:58 pm

senior year of hs is so easy I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I was super stressed out last year but it's almost over baby yeeaahhh :D Next semester should be a return to form anyway, 3 aps to really get that gpa pumpin

also thinking about switching interested major to architecture from materials science, not that I really have any experience in either lol

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby mu_ » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:46 am

not attending school but this school year I've been helping teach CS at a school and it's been pretty rewarding so far

today, more than any other day, I am excited to feel the milk of human kindness
mu_

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:06 pm

is this also the job thread? is there a job thread?

anyways, just got an offer to work for kik on a new team. really excited about the upcoming months now. a lot of pressure off since i've been struggling fairly heavily in school. now i can just focus on academics :arrow:

Last edited by mc-lunar on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc-lunar

Postby khayandhi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:12 pm

PhD SITUATION. I'm in the kind of field where the research process is roughly "sit in a room with a bit of paper for a few hours, have a brilliant theoretical insight, write paper" and it's rubbish because that's impossible for absolutely anyone and it's especially impossible when you're badly underpaid. I don't have a lot of ideas on the go at the moment and I'm just very gloomy about the entire thing, brb sinking all my feelings into cool shoes and violin playing

khayandhi

Postby Blastoise » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:26 pm

In addition to continuing with my English major I've officially declared minors in Design and Digital Media Studies. Somewhere in between sophomore and junior year on the major after dropping Music Composition last year. I'm still hoping to settle down and teach high school English eventually but for now I'd really like to focus on something more creative. I'll probably be aiming for advertising and marketing but I'd really like to get into film/video games as well. I'll have plenty of options at least. Planning to study abroad/intern in London next summer or fall. Really looking forward to where school is going right now.

I'll admit though that I don't feel nearly as far along in my major as I am. I feel like I should be getting a lot more out of it for being almost done or that I have a lot left to learn. Not sure how I should be feeling about that.

Blastoise

PreviousNext

Return to Care