[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: School

Postby Francks » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:49 am

What would you let others affect you negatively? Don't let external events -that you can't control- have an impact on you (when it's unwanted). Stick to what you can change within your actionable circle (your priorities) and don't let the rest define you.

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby Copeland » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:27 am

There are lots of professors who are very obviously not meant to educators but got the job due to their research and CV. As a student, your only goal should be to get the best mark you can, no matter how needlessly difficult it may be. Treat school like a job.

Copeland

Postby Cowboy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:09 am

Cowboy

Postby weqe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Got into Carnegie Mellon woooo!

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby popcorn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:30 am

I just got into Cooper Union's Nerken school of Engineering (smiling)
thanks, to anyone dumb enough to believe in me

edit: intended major civil engineering
also edit: i have a 3.0 high school unweighted GPA. scream with me.

popcorn

Postby soko » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Got into McGill and University of fake canada which I'm super happy about but now I have to choose between :/

soko

Postby soko » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:41 pm

social sciences at Victoria College for UofT and arts at McGill

soko

Postby evilfriends » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:49 am

I've decided to quit engineering. I thought I could force myself through math, comp science and mechanics and enjoy the visual communication and design parts of my studies, but nope. Engineering is not the way to go for me, I just wish I would've realised sooner...

The good part though: I can (maybe) use the experience and knowledge I have gained at my current field of studies to switch to "Design Management" at another university, which would usually require 6 months worth of academically relevant internships. Currently talking to the university about it. Ideally, the experience I already have in terms of visual communication, engineering and design would be enough to start studying design management at the start of the next semester. If not, I'm going to have to wait until September 2017 which would mean one year of working part time, internships and travelling.

At this point I want to thank Ultralight Beams for somehow inspiring me to quit engineering and pursuing something I'm actually interested in. Luckily this is Germany, so by quitting my current studies I have lost nothing but time.

evilfriends

Postby JewTurk » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:11 pm

First year of Electrical Engineering coming to a close and I'm feeling good about it. Built my own rudimentary synthesizer and a tremolo effects pedal with a light sensitive resistor/DC motor contraption. Personal projects definitely help make what I'm studying seem more applicable.

Excited for where my Spanish major will be taking me too. Still looking to study for a year in Alicante (but possible South America depending on what programs they have by the time I get down there). Going to spend next Summer in La Paz, hopefully hiking to Machu Pichu and Patagonia while I'm down there. Really loving language acquisition, tons of opportunities for me to practice with native speakers around campus all the time.

Got a job as an RA next year. Super stoked I have my housing/meal plan covered. I was hoping to be an RA in the international residence hall so I could practice Spanish more often, but I'm happy I got the job regardless. This freshman year I was lucky enough to get two different grading jobs which was super awesome because I could work those hours at any time of day.

Also NAU's EE & CS department is starting their PhD program next Fall which hopefully means I have good prospects of doing some research in my undergrad. Excited for that, it looks like its more centered towards UAVs, cyber security, and informatics because most of our research staff, currently, are just doing research on those fields.

JewTurk

Postby Spaceman » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:25 pm

I'll be attending UW Madison next year and will be a badger!!! Now if anyone has one of those Off Wisconsin shirts in large, I'll be needing one before I go.

Let's get weird
Spaceman

Postby 106-2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:50 am

I've had a few days to reflect on it but holy SHIT I did a bad job on my French speaking exam. The worst part about it is that I know that I could have done much better than I did - when I was doing some last minute practice with my teacher before the exam I was speaking fairly accurately without even having to think about it, and then it came to the exam and I just had fuck-all to say :^(

It didn't really help that the examiner had a really strong Bolton accent whilst speaking French (honestly confused by it, he said he had been teaching for 33 years but how have his students not all failed). I couldn't understand anything he was saying and had to ask him to repeat his questions (I'm fairly sure that I would have been able to understand the questions had he spoken them in a slightly more acceptable accent)

My teacher and the head of department have assured me that it went better than I thought it did, but even if that's true it still went pretty badly. Peak times for Ethan at the moment - at least it's helped to clear up which subject I'll be dropping next year.

: Yeah I definitely want to continue speaking/learning French in some capacity as it's probably what I most enjoy learning, I think I'm just angry with the way this went. Doesn't help also that I can't really justify continuing with it next year unless I'm reasonably sure I could get an A in it (which I am reasonably sure I could get from the other subject I was thinking about dropping - Sociology) as my first choice Uni course needs AAA

106-2

Postby Ques » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 am

has anyone on here done a fulbright? considering apply for next year

Ques

Postby earthonator » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:29 am

you got school today? lmao it's canceled for me

earthonator

Postby Cowboy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:26 am

Nope we got canceled. All of our fire alarms went off at 3 am for no reason and I checked Twitter and my school district had released the notice 2 min before so I'm pretty sure it was a god thing or something.

Some flooding at my dads house in Waller tho and we r sorta stranded for now

Cowboy

Postby Cowboy » Tue May 03, 2016 5:35 pm

Ya Boi just failed Physics Advanced Placement

Granted, the school I plan to go to doesn't accept the credit, and I was prepared to fail, but all the same hahahahaha

Physics is hell.

Cowboy

Postby popcorn » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm

AP Physics 1?

I think I might have gotten a 3 or 4? The multiple choice was pretty uplifting and then the free response was soooooo bad. Last year all but the biggest mathletes at our math+science program ended up failing it, something like 50 students took it and 2 got the 5. It doesn't help that our (one) physics teacher still teaches honors physics as AP Physics 1 until the last week. I think our school is gonna stop offering the course next year for obvious reasons.

My civil engineering program won't even accept Physics 2/3 credits, so this one is SUPER useless, but I really wanted to get all 5's like last year for pride reasons. Plus I want to be good at physics because it'll be my livelihood, but... this course was soOoOoooO lame~

popcorn

Postby Cowboy » Wed May 04, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm banking on free response being lenient to have the off chance of a 3

Our program isn't the worst but I'm not exactly naturally gifted in STEM fields and coupled with the fact that most of the questions coupled with time crunch makes things relatively obscene.

Idk I mean it was the only class that forced me to pay attention rather than spend 30 minutes on my phone, which is sorta boo because my year would have been splendid without it haha

Cowboy

Postby Copeland » Thu May 05, 2016 1:59 am

Good luck on finals everyone, stayed up for 40 hours straight last week, will have to do another round tomorrow.

Copeland

Postby starfox64 » Thu May 05, 2016 3:37 pm

going back to school in the fall

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby weqe » Fri May 06, 2016 6:07 pm

Got into a german exchange program scholarship thing so I get to put off real life for another year ayyy

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby thecanadiancook » Fri May 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Victim to the Diderot effect // //
thecanadiancook

Postby starfox64 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:42 am

for those of you asking, i'm going to law school

so, uh, no more burger lamps for a while

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby Vaeltaja » Thu May 12, 2016 6:58 am

My friends are talking about being summa cum laude and I'm here too scared to check my transcripts to see if I actually one my degrees or not. feelsbadman.jpg and/or wanting to cry at every moment.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby Vaeltaja » Sat May 14, 2016 4:30 am

I'll graduate with an English major. Only an English major. Fuck me.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby nevergreen » Tue May 24, 2016 7:36 pm

in addition to my apparel merchandising major i wanted to add a marketing minor since i would be taking only ONE extra class outside of the marketing classes i need for my major. i applied for the minor and got denied because i'll be over 140 units by the time I graduate. I have so many cause I switched my major twice... one extra class and i'm denied? such bullshit that i'm being punished for not knowing exactly what i wanted to do right out of high school plus taking electives cause the classes i need are filled...

welp. three semesters left. that is if i can actually get my classes.

e; i'm meeting with the associate dean tomorrow to appeal

nevergreen

Postby prairial » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:17 am

:woop:

Last edited by prairial on Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prairial

Postby whocares1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 pm

whocares1

Postby monoclelewinsky » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:12 pm

This is a good place to ask I think, has anyone applied for/received an NSF grant for grad school and would be willing to talk me through the process? I got my personal statement ripped to shit today ha ha

petty and sweaty
monoclelewinsky

Postby soko » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:52 am

I'm moving to Montreal for university and I'm going to be there in less than 3 hours. What have I done, what have I gotten myself into!!! Very excited and scared and sad and happy ahhhh.

soko

Postby Ques » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:42 pm

just got my thesis tentatively approved; going to be translating, subtitling, and analyzing a super cool chinese movie called in the heart of the sun, or 阳光灿烂的日子. SUPER excited to put my chinese to the test and do something so fun. also i think im going to apply to law school as a backup plan for if all of my other life plans don't pan out. taking the lsat in less than 20 days!!

Ques

PreviousNext

Return to Care