[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: overdressed, undereducated: let's talk about school!

Postby eufemism » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:15 am

All throughout middle school and high school I was convinced I was going to studying Engineering in college, but I changed my mind and said I wanted to be an Athletic Trainer. I feel like I'll enjoy it more than Engineering, but when I hear my friends talk about how they're gonna have so much money to throw around (they're all CS majors) I have second thoughts. Maybe I should switch over to Occupational Therapy or something.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby Vaeltaja » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:45 am

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby silvaeri » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:57 pm

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby torukun » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:54 am

New school year coming up soon! I'm real excited to be going back, I took about a year off and I've just been wasting away at home in the interim. Going to try and finish my economics degree but add something I'm a little more interested in- linguistics, maybe, or art history.

Anybody else looking forward to school?

torukun

Postby venilla » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:48 am

1 more week left of school then my summer can finally officially start.
Anybody else studying Cog. Sci?

venilla

Postby Ques » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:27 am

Just finished up my four year planning. Looks like I'm taking Chinese French calc three and early Chinese history next semester, and studying abroad in Beijing for a year, the year after. V excited (smiling)

Ques

Postby sparkyoriental » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Starting my last year soon :S

I decided to take it easy next semester...only three classes + thesis: iOS development, Distributed Systems, and Stats in R.

Just have to find a job now..........eek

sparkyoriental

Postby sparkyoriental » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Any c-t people regret their degree choice? I'm in my last year of a CS degree and I honestly hate it. I hate programming. I hate PL. I hate doing my assignments. I have 0 side projects and 0% motivation to start any.

I dread looking for jobs because my schooling (CS and math) essentially has primed me to be a Software Engineer/Data Analyst/something to do with technology or statistics but I have no interest in technology!

Has anyone here gone back to school for a different degree?

sparkyoriental

Postby Syeknom » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:55 pm

I regret it in the sense that I'm incredibly unfulfilled and don't enjoy computer work anymore but also not in the sense that i'm well paid, have easy access to jobs worldwide and my work is comfortable and easy.

(I don't want to go back please dont make me)

Syeknom

Postby trichomatic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:14 pm

trichomatic

Postby chadnik » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm sort of nervous for the upcoming school year (which is funny I guess, since it's been a nonevent for years). I'm going to be teaching substantially for the first time (I didn't have to last year), and am worried about all the usual things: stage fright, not knowing x, writing the wrong thing on the board, boring my students, tripping in front of the class...you name it. I am taking some neat classes though (semantics and pedagogical SLA) and have a few leadership positions I'm looking forward to, so hopefully those will keep me sane.

chadnik

Postby brlmski » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:07 pm

IM HUSTLIN AND BUSTLIN TO GET INTO GRAD SCHOOL. I just spoke to a family friend who is a dean at the local university. Outlook not great but he did say that I could definite get into a Masters program even with a 3.2ish GPA and no prior research experience if I network enough.

brlmski

Postby zayg » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:22 pm

Unbelievably unhappy about having to go back to school in a few weeks.

I have to live in a townhouse with a bunch of random people again this year, but this time I won't even have my own room. I also still don't have an internship lined up (I have some time though). Mostly bummed about the fact that I am going to have to take out around $28k in private loans just for the year. Ridiculous.

Fortunately this should be my last year. 13 classes in the next academic year will be my key to pulling that off.

zayg

Postby chadnik » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:10 pm

I'm probably TAing an intro to linguistics or sociolinguistics kind of course, to undergraduates, though possibly instead an ESL class to other graduate students (which would be preferable, as I've done that before, and generally older students are easier to teach/have more intrinsic motivation to learn—not that undergrads categorically don't, of course, but some of them take these sorts of classes just because they need to check a box on a liberal arts requirement). Probably about 20-30 people in a class. Have you taught before?

chadnik

Postby Capt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Capt

Postby Vaeltaja » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:40 pm

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby TheLovePizza » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Starting med school in two weeks, and moving into my flat in four days :o. It'll be nice to trade low key life in suburban Kansas and North Carolina for NYC.

Glad to start school since I've been intellectually unsatisfied over the past year but I'm also bummed bc I've basically squandered a free year and haven't really pushed myself outside of my comfort zone. What do y'all do to get out of a funk?

TheLovePizza

Postby 7737 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Postby missrowan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:18 pm

missrowan

Postby JewTurk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 am

Thinking about double majoring so I can please my parents and myself with my degree(s?).

I don't have to take a minor with engineering but I really can't see my self enjoying engineering many years down the road.

pros/cons?

JewTurk

Postby nick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:37 am

, not flunking out of Engineering in your Freshman year is enough of a challenge already for many students.

Stick with that for now. Unless you're really a proven and focused achiever.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby chilljin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 pm

anyone who outright questions your degree choice / makes you question your own is a cunt

somehow degree superiority is a thing - it doesn't happen to me but i've observed it and why would you ever want to make someone feel shite at a time when all their shit is barely kept together

chilljin

Postby chilljin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm

question your degree choice - ie make yourself wonder whether you chose the right thing, for instance a mr digbick engineer trying to feel superior to an arts student

chilljin

Postby yubbermax » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 pm

yubbermax

Postby JewTurk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Thoughts on this degree?

http://catalog.nau.edu/Catalog/details? ... gYear=1415

I'm very interested in the Asian Studies Global Science and Engineering - Emphasis just because I have genuine interest in that but the career paths worry me.

^That would be the ideal thing to go to school for, not worrying about the job afterwords that comes with it.

More job-oriented would be double majoring in Engineering and some form of design (something I think I'd enjoy at least), but I don't think those two go together too well so who knows. I need advice/guidance bad. I apply really soon and it's not that big of a deal to switch majors but my parents really want a strong grasp on what I'm doing.

JewTurk

Postby agvs » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:53 pm

agvs

Postby JewTurk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:03 pm

JewTurk

Postby papabear » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 pm

You're going into your first year right? Just take it easy for now and enjoy college. If you want to add a second major/minor you can do that in your 2nd/3rd year. Most schools don't require you to declare a second major immediately. Explore engineering and college in general for now. You might come to love engineering or completely detest it. Most people coming out of high school gain a completely new view on college within a few weeks. Enjoy college before you're overburdened by the workload.

papabear

Postby JewTurk » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:35 pm

JewTurk

Postby JtotheWhat » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:44 pm

It's a cool path to take if that's what you want to do. When I was in Korea I met a few people with similar degrees working for international companies in Korea or even Korea companies... It would probably benefit you to know/learn an Asian language and be willing to work abroad as well.

JtotheWhat

PreviousNext

Return to Care