[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - School

School

Off topic

Re: School

Postby Naka_ » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Naka_

Postby grayghost » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:16 pm

FINISHED ALL OF MY EXAMS
now i get a one month break and get to go home!!! im so excited i love this time of the year even tho there's no snow rn but whatever IM DONEEEEE
note to future me: less all nighters

grayghost

Postby Cowboy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:49 pm

60% of my 6 weeks grade for English has yet to be released. There is one day left in the 6 weeks. My exemption status, due tomorrow, is riding on two essay grades that may have been great may have been terrible. It's beyond annoying.

Cowboy

Postby hig » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:04 pm

just took a calc 3 final that was borderline impossible. grade distribution came out: a 38% is a C, a 60% is an A. what is everyone's opinion on classes that curve like this (i.e. extremely difficult tests with very generous curves)? at my university it seems every chemistry class is structured this way, but it turns out that departmental calc finals are the same way lol. personally not a fan of an aggressive curve and essentially setting everyone up to fail.

hig

Postby rjbman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:37 pm

It's actually better because then you can truly see the distribution. If 40% of students are in the 90s then there's very little ability to distinguish the truly excellent from the good students.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby shinny » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:51 am

This is going to sound like a bizarre advertisement but Uniqlo down vests are really nice for taking exams. A full jacket usually makes me too cozy/relaxed or sometimes gets too warm for comfort, and also many of my jackets have (magnificent) voluminous sleeves that sometimes get in the way of the exam paper, especially when using the tiny desks my school buildings have.

A down vest gives me mobility + clarity, keeps my arms cool enough that I'll stay more alert, but also keeps my torso warm to combat the aggressive air-conditioning that is so common for some reason when taking tests. I don't know if this is entirely a personal feeling but it was helpful on my math exam today and I would recommend trying it!

shinny

Postby INNIT » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 pm

woop need to brag for a minute:

had one of my hardest semesters ever taking nothing but senior level flaxy theory classes

took a class on deconstruction where the final essay was basically "deconstruct something" which for an undergrad is very very intimidating

wrote a paper deconstructing bon jovi's bad medicine (low hanging fruit but fuck it), won me huge praise. feeling good. have maintained a 4.0 for the past 5 semesters. things are looking up!

INNIT

Postby Ques » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 am

just finished the first week of my new program. we have class 5-6 hours a day and then another 5-6 hours of homework/prep for the next day each night. we also get kicked out if we get caught speaking english. i don't think i've ever had to do anything this mentally taxing before in my life, but it's really incredibly seeing how fast i can make progress in this kind of environment. today we had an oral examination over everything we covered this week, and i managed to discuss china's demographic problems, traditions of elderly care, how economic development has lead to changes in lifestyle and tradition, and the the ongoing structural change of the chinese household. IN CHINESE!! i've also only getting less than 6 hours of sleep a night and i'm drinking 5+ cups of coffee a day and i've had at least that many mini-emotional breakdowns already, but hey, progress comes at a cost, right

Ques

Postby thecanadiancook » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:21 am

Victim to the Diderot effect // //
thecanadiancook

Postby weqe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

applied to Reed just becuz. Wrote the essay about aestheticism lol. Feel like all the schools I applied to I did on a complete whim, mostly bc I had a free application there.

Got into case western tho which is nice! Only got like 50% scholarship which is not so nice :( Waiting on the schools I actually kinda care about is kinda stressful but I haven't been able to get emotionally invested in the application process at all, its weird

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby purkinje » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:23 pm

Is anyone here pursuing a degree in sociology? Has anyone graduated with a degree in sociology and found a job that they enjoy and is related to their degree? I'm currently two years into a bachelors of nursing with the intent to get my certified nurse anesthetist degree afterwards but I'm interning at a hospital doing patient care at the moment and I'm second-guessing my decision, to a degree.

On one side it's very lucrative with CRNA starting salary upwards of $100k and moving towards the 200k range mid-career, and it's a straightforward means of helping people and contributing back to society which is fulfilling. On the other, nursing is intensive work often in 12 hour shifts and can leave a person drained physically and emotionally, and it doesn't seem to really allow for personal growth in the way a degree/career in the social sciences does. I think I'd be happier going into sociology or at least pursuing a minor or second major in the field, though job prospects are much slimmer and the pay is significantly lower on average. Doing sociological research or working in policy seems like a much more profound way to make a positive difference than on a personal level as a clinician and I struggle with that.

I'm feeling a bit adrift as to what I want to do with my life and nervous that if I choose to switch majors I'd have just wasted two years of schooling and quite a bit of money. It's easy to dish out advice to take time off from school and travel or 'find yourself' and that kind of thing but I find it really hard to take steps to derail something that's already in motion, especially since my grades have been pretty good and my future would be relatively planned out unless I go ahead and change it.

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby brlmski » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:35 pm

brlmski

Postby sparkyoriental » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 am

For those that are no longer in school - how do you keep learning? Either for work or personal development.

I feel like there's so much that I want to learn more about, but I'm just lacking the motivation to get started.

sparkyoriental

Postby bels » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:03 am

Night classes, online courses, there's lots of classes you can take. The problem is having anything worthwhile because you'll forget most courses you do unless you have to use them for your job. Which you won't. Because if you needed them for your job you'd learn at work.

I advise you if you're going to learn something, learn something you can learn/practice continuously for >1 year. IE: pick a language which has classes for beginners, intermediates and pros and book holidays to countries which speak this language. Or get tennis lessons which run year round. Or yoga. Or make something that will take a while (make sure you're the kind of person who finishes projects)

Don't just do a 10 week course on Functional Programming because it'll just be a brutal 10 weeks and then 4 weeks later it'll be worthless because what can you actually make using functional programming.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby wax » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:14 am

wax

Postby Noah » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Found out today I passed all my midterms so that's cool. I have no idea how I did though.

Noah

Postby bataille » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm

PSA for Academic Filesharing:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by [MFA and PhD programs], starving hysterical naked...

Information wants to be free. Universities, publishers and libraries (i.e. fascists) want to limit this freedom, first by telling you what to read then by charging you for the privilege. Don't let them. Read what you want, when you want, all the time. (Or just save some beer $$ on your course readings)

http://aaaaarg.fail

bataille

Postby Cowboy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 pm

I love arg so much.

Awesome site, so much good content

Do you know any other places similar? I've got second hand access to just about every pay to use database but wondering if I can get more stuff in an illicit yet accessible manner

Cowboy

Postby bataille » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:11 pm

bataille

Postby odradek » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 am

odradek

Postby Cowboy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:17 pm

"That test was really easy!"

Failed it turns out

Cowboy

Postby khayandhi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:08 am

one of my teaching reviews said I don't speak English very well. look mate I know I'm in Manc now and the South is a different country but I assure you it's still English we've got down there

khayandhi

Postby mike868y » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:24 pm

just finished submitting all my apps for grad school. i miss academia.

wtb: xs EG navy tropical wool andover, grey wool hartford jacket, wool glen check andover, brown cord andover, b2b in brown/navy twill plaid, sz8.5 yuteken peanut suede/crepe sole loafers, size 27/28 unis gio skinny
mike868y

Postby popcorn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:13 am

On February 1st, I send an email to Columbia about "what I've accomplished" since November 1st. This is the last thing I can append to my application.

I have to find a way to convey my growth into a more full human being in a few paragraphs. Yikes.

popcorn

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:48 pm

finally back in school feels fucking GREAT

quit my job, trying to learn japanese (it's going to kill me)

pray that the instructor of this speech class lets me in....

BIGBEE

Postby mike868y » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:32 pm

wtb: xs EG navy tropical wool andover, grey wool hartford jacket, wool glen check andover, brown cord andover, b2b in brown/navy twill plaid, sz8.5 yuteken peanut suede/crepe sole loafers, size 27/28 unis gio skinny
mike868y

Postby Ques » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 am

found out my school's only chinese professor, only linguistics professor, only chinese sociologist, and only chinese art historian are all going to be on sabbatical when i return for my final year. small LAC woes

Ques

Postby harmsalmon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:29 pm

Having a really hard time reconciling doing what i want to do in school (ie Devising theatre Right now) with things i am made to do (ie Write papers about Johnny Locke) - like i feel like it would be one thing if i were fucking around like just Playing Star wars podracers Or seeing how far I can shove a Keytar up my ass or whatever it is college kids do but like....... i'm making work...... just not the work that gets me grades - and now Related i got 2 week-late papiers a ecrire that are doing some Real Anxiety Damage Rn. I think i'm just a fuking child who is unable to prioritize - but I like to think its because theres some moral or something dissonance with Using my creative energy on "real" things I am proud of as opposed to writing the same paper every kid writes every year for every Seminar........

harmsalmon

Postby ptozzi » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:54 am

ptozzi

Postby finolino » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:58 am

why pay so much for college if your professors treat you like human trash?

like honestly, you may have had forty years of experience studying philosophers like heidegger and sartre, but if you can't help your students who've been studying the aforementioned for a little less than a month understand the material without berating them for their lack of knowledge and blatantly attacking their self esteem (during finals week, no less) then said experience doesn't mean anything to me. i may not have a good grasp on my own dasein, but at least i can talk to people without making them feel completely and utterly worthless...

finolino

PreviousNext

Return to Care