[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Feelings

Feelings

Off topic

Re: feeltalk thread

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:24 pm

I rode a honda Dax! The Honda Chaly was the first vehicle I ever bought (a couple of years ago, I was still a full grown man). It's the same size as the Dax.

Rode it daily for months to work. Had to sell it after I got tired of the ignition being temperamental.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:07 pm

Wish I could justify a Honda Zoomer

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm

100% can. Although, I understand that it might seem like I have some gall after admitting I rode around on what is essentially a monkey bike, I think the zoom looks like a mobility scooter. I go camping with my family every year and the ZOOM is a fixture poolside.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby sknss » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:53 am

it's kindness day today!
hope everyone is having a great day

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby slappa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:39 pm

When to see Gravity yesterday and thought it was disappointing. Spent 5 hours afterwards figuring out what the song from this Omega commercial reminded me of:

Listened through 100s of classical songs and finally had my eureka moment at 2:55 in Holst's Jupiter:

slappa

Postby Syeknom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:46 pm

The Planets suite is wonderful

Syeknom

Postby slappa » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Yes it's very lyrical. While listening through the songs Antonín Dvořák really struck a note with me. Highly recommendable.

slappa

Postby Syeknom » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm a big fan of his Slavonic Dances and am sure I've heard lots of more of his work but can't remember

Syeknom

Postby b4my » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:02 am

I've spent the last 48 hours doing college-radio related things (late night broadcasts, parties, vinyl sorting, etc.) with only about 7 hours of sleep in those 48 and I'm completely exhausted but the happiest I've been in months. Feel like I finally found my place and my friends here and people I can talk to about raw denim and obscure techno and dub. It's an awesome feeling ^_^

b4my

Postby charybdis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:48 am

I dunno if I've said this before, but I really like my roommate.

We're both huge weirdoes who keep up a veneer of social respectability and it's fun finding out odd things we have in common. Also, I just really respect her for her more academic pursuits and the fact that she learned to be fluent in a second language all by herself.

Also, her dad might be a Russian mob lawyer.

That said, never of us have great sleep schedules and it's something we really need to fix.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby SisterRayVU » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:44 pm

I think I really need to learn how to go out alone and hang out in bars. I'm really decent at talking to everyone I see and making conversation but it becomes significantly harder when people are out with friends and such. I sort of want to stop hanging out with most people from school. A lot of people are nice but a lot of people aren't and it's really disconcerting sometimes. One girl seems especially angry with me and while I have an idea as to why, I don't know that her continued anger/confrontational stance is really justified. I can understand if she doesn't care for me or thinks I'm not cool or whatever -- that's fine -- but I don't understand her haughty sense of entitlement or superiority. I think when I was younger, I would have pretended to be mad and hid the fact that I was hurt or confused, but I just don't have the energy for anger or any of that anymore, at least not in these situations. I just don't know what's going on in her headspace. I mostly don't care because I don't think she's that cool but I try to be friends with everyone and say what's up to everyone, so it sort of prevents me from doing that.

Bros are still cool and other girlbros are still cool but I suddenly feel very small and like maybe I need to dip out and seek out new surroundings. I try to get a couple of my friends from school to head out but they're reluctant and are really into reading, which is cool, but I don't think it hurts to put stuff away at 9:00 or 10:00 and grab a drink or three until 1:00ish. We're all pretty much up late anyway and it's not like we'd get wasted. But it is what it is. I feel like I'm in a decent enough city on a student's schedule and I'm unable to take advantage of it. I went to see Zola Jesus by myself and that was cool but I didn't talk to anyone and I'm scared that I'll just go out to shows and not talk to anyone. At the same time, it's very much a skill / habit thing and the more you go out, the easier it is to be social with randoms.

Also, so many people have their group of people their close to again and I'm back on the outside looking in. I have friends but bros either have girlfriends or other bros have their circle of bros from their classes and I'm not really involved with any circle in my class and I guess that's my fault. But at the same time, I just sort of have minimal desire to hang with most of them.

SisterRayVU

Postby bels » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 am

I feel like trying to get a new friendship group from going to bars is probably not the best way to do it. It's sort of a brute force approach to the problem and it probably can play dividends, but it's going to require a large amount of time spent sitting in the same bar, starting up conversations with whoever. Which is fine, maybe that's fun for you. It is a long way round and making the leap from "du I know from the bar" to "du I can call up because I want to go to an art exhibition" is going to take a lot of time and booze. Can your liver, bank balance and sleep pattern withstand it?

I recommend some sort of class or club for making friends. It still takes a while, but it's easier to make the leap to seeing them outside the class and at least you spend your time learning something or doing something other than nursing beers in the downtime.

You'll probably also need to spend incredible amounts of time in bars and stuff too. I'm just saying in my experience, being able to strike up conversation with strangers in public places doesn't necessarily lead anywhere unless you see them regularly or put a lot of time into it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:54 am

I've successfully made the transition between fellow bar-flies and friends outside of the bar but it took a huge amount of time and effort as you say bela

That said I seriously recommend learning how to go out to a bar/pub/club by yourself to have a good time and meet people. Bar friends can be worthwhile in their own right, and random "one-night-only" friends at clubs can be a lot of fun.

Evening classes and that are good way to meeting people for friendship and fun - I got some good friends out of my abortive attempts to learn Dutch

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 am

one night friends at clubs and bars are always great, but they usually result in me getting more fucked up (and subsequently dropping more money) than i planned.

on a similar but slightly more serious note, i went out to dinner with a friend of mine. we grabbed a few beers after, and then happened to meet up with some coworkers of mine, one of whom was the white dude who is visiting from the states. long story short, we get a little drunk and then everyone splits up with the two of them going to a club and getting more drunk. anyway, apparently he got mugged on the way back to his apartment, which sucks (obviously). he wasn't hurt and i don't think he lost too much money, but he is the only person i know who has been robbed in korea, and now it has happened to him twice.

also i feel a little bit responsible, which is kinda dumb, but it's like if we hadn't met up with my coworkers and had just gone our separate ways at 9:00 or whenever like we originally planned, none of this would have happened. the other time he got robbed it was kind of my fault also because we were at a club and he was trying to go back to my place to crash but he lost the key and had to sleep at like a korean spa thing, which is relatively common, and that's where he got robbed, but if i had gone with him instead of making out with some girl i probably wouldn't have lost the key. neither of these instances is actually my fault and he went to college in new york city, so it's not like he is some suburban noob, but it just kinda bums me out when shitty stuff like this happens to people that i like. :^/

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:50 am

Is he a heavy drinker? I have a friend who drinks himself stupid and then says he got his stuff stolen when I strongly believe he lost it, or made himself a target by stumbling around with a £300 phone hanging out of his pocket. He's the only person I know to ever have anything like that happen to him too.

Apart from one time when someone took my phone out of my pocket when I was pissed as a fart and asleep on a night bus.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 am

Eh, I don't necessarily mean going out and striking up these deep friendships, but maybe it'd still suck and you're right. I just wish some friends from school would go out to bars other than the ones around here, maybe. Like hit up some of the more punk-ish or 'indie'-ish bars/clubs/venues. Figuring that at least going there, I'd find more people I can talk to since there'd be commonality of interests. But I know it would take effort to make a midnight friend into a 'hey, let's grab breakfast' friend. But maybe I'd be okay with just the former. It's not that big of a deal right now.

Also, I mean, it's not your fault, clearly. Sucks that he got robbed and I'd feel bad too but you had no control over it. I always figured Korea was super safe, though. Does this sort of thing happen with any regularity?

SisterRayVU

Postby starfox64 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:55 pm

There is some crime, but it's mostly like petty theft or drunken fights. Your odds of being actually robbed are super super slim. I've lived here for >2.5 years and he is the only person I have known this to happen to.

And yeah, Bobbin, he does drink a lot. I think he was pretty wasted when this happened, which is probably why this happened. I think he did get mugged or whatever, but I also think he was stumbling around by himself on his way home (not to blame the victim or anything like that).

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby germinal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Meant to be seeing Godspeed tonite. Can't find my ticket. Hve spent last two hours frantically ransacking my room. Would cry if i weren't so mad

germinal
Garminlad

Postby can- » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:21 pm

can u get will call w your card info? should call whatever ticketing group you got them from

can-

Postby germinal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 pm

have called, they can't do anything this late notice :(

germinal
Garminlad

Postby germinal » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:25 pm

found a sock and some chewing gum under my bed tho (smiling)

germinal
Garminlad

Postby maj » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 pm

see if anyone in the line will exchange a ticket for some of your raf grails.

maj

Postby Syeknom » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 pm

oh shit germ i'm so sorry, that's the worst feeling

Syeknom

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I feel shit being 19 at university when everyone else on my study is atleast 21. It's like being that little kid again back in school. I am quite old mentally and rather be serious than goof around, which seems to be the opposite of everyone else here, even though they are older than me. The older ones wants to be younger and immature, and the younger ones wants to be older and serious. I feel alone.

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:51 pm

You'll get older and want to be younger. It's sort of ~*~*life*~*~ at its finest.

SisterRayVU

Postby starfox64 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:58 pm

If you feel that out of place, you could always take a year off and work or travel or volunteer or something.

starfox64

Postby pips » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 pm

When i was in uni most everyone of my block were a couple of years older too (started school early and didn't go through grade 7). It's not so bad in the long run. The friends I made back then are still the people I hang out with on a regular basis even though we all work in different places now. If you focus on the age difference instead of the things you share in common you'll feel even more alienated and have a harder time making friends. I think age does not matter a lot in the bigger picture as much as the stage in life you're in; if you're all in uni you're worrying about the same things and working towards similar goals even if they all seem immature to you.

pips

Postby bels » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:43 am

I went to the dentists and even though she said I might have two cavities starting up we didn't need to do anything yet and if I stay off the sugar and brush reg and floss I might be ok.

Feel like LIFE is possible again.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:51 am

my current 100% interview to job ratio is still in tact, new job is closer and a pay rise. could not be happier

maj

Postby ramdomthought » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 am

Man I've had an interesting few weeks.

Maybe 5 weeks ago, I had a mental and emotional breakdown that culminated in me desperately calling a few people here in some kind of self loathing/pity thing. I got through it, but not without consequence. There's an ever-lingering fear of judgement and pity in the back of my head from those friends and everyone I've told. This fear eats at me day after day and affects me so much more than it should. It appears when I'm talking to a friend I'm going to visit and I instantly have this fear that they don't want to associate with me ever again and jump to a conclusion of "should I just not come out?"

That's not the worst of it -- I feel better. I feel so much more alive than I did prior to my breakdown. The highs are a lot higher (not those highs, you potheads). The lows are so low though. While talking to some people I really care about last night I felt so alone. I came home and all I wanted to do was capture this feeling of isolation, despair, and cold. It was pathetic as I sat in IRC talking with well, sid and rosen incoherently babbling about capturing that feeling. All were just babblings of a drunken madman, I'm sure.

It's been fun to work through but that lingering fear bites at me so much. It's certainly exciting to feel some depth of emotion that I haven't felt since I was a kid (with the exception of the cold isolation, however this cold was a very different cold from before). It's also scary because I have this feeling that it's going to end with an exciting crash at some point, probably soon.

Anyway, I've gone nowhere with this but that's just because I'm at work and waiting on a friend to call me back about a trip. That's what brought this up, I hit this odd point of Cold and I have a feeling it's just the beginning.

ramdomthought

PreviousNext

Return to Care