[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - the constant canvas: skincare!

the constant canvas: skincare!

Off topic

Re: the constant canvas: skincare!

Postby jrisk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:50 am

like I mentioned in the feeltalk thread a bit back, I went to the dermatologist for my acne. due to my age and the type of acne (fucking nodular) he recommended I start accutane. been on it for about a week now. needless to say, I haven't seen any results yet and probably won't for a few months.

however, I've been feeling great about it all lately. back when I was just using topical stuff, I'd be constantly obsessing about my skin because that was really the only way I was actively "fixing" my skin. now that I'm not even allowed to use topical stuff besides a basic cleanser and moisturizer AND I'm on a program that will 99.9% likely cure me completely of acne, I don't have to think about it anymore. it's really really nice. stress levels are at a low and overall happiness is at a high. :woop:

jrisk

Postby Stingray Sam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 am

won't fit in a rep comment:

got a prescription, bought accutane, then realized that there was no way that i was taking something that had the potential to make me more depressed. It did contribute to making me tell my parents about my depression though. Would recommend

Stingray Sam

Postby bels » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:44 am

Every so often I think "I'm such a sucker no way do I need to spend it up and take the time to cleanse tone exfo morning and evening." and then I stop doing my whole routine and just wash my face with soap 2x a day and everytime I do that after about a week I start getting spots.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby freddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:24 pm

going on an elimination diet for suspect food intolerances has really helped diminish my acne. i almost can't handle the increased attention i'm getting nowadays after being a hermit w/ acne :/

freddy

Postby jrisk » Mon May 05, 2014 6:41 pm

just started my third month of accutane. The first month I had a daily dosage of 40mg of Claravis (brand) of isotretinoin (actual drug). It didn't really affect my acne too much but I definitely felt my skin start drying up by the end of the month. Month two, dosage doubled (80mg daily) and I've seen a definite change. I am so so so so glad that I had a good cleansing/moisturizing regimen before starting. The dry skin sucks but I can imagine how much worse it would be if I wasn't consistent about washing/moisturizing every morning and night. As long as I spread the dosage out during the day (two 40mg's) and make sure to eat them with a higher quantity of fatty foods (peanut butter and milk are my jam) I don't notice it at all. I'll be on it for at least five months, but it'll likely be six months.

I can get through the day with just burt bee's chapstick (my favorite, been through one whole tube so far but am willing to try something that might work better. got any recommendations?) while I use aquaphor when I'm home. It works super well but it's just too annoying to reapply in public.

some marks are starting to fade and my dermatologist thinks I'll clear up really well except for some ice pick scars on my right temple. Bummer but I guess if they're really bad, I could eventually get some kind of laser treatment to completely clear them up.

No depression if you're curious. My parents are concerned, I guess and keep asking questions that are trying to gauge how I'm doing (usually days I haven't had coffee ha). The drug metabolizes in your liver so you're not supposed to drink but my dermatologist is cool and says that drinking a couple beers is a-ok. (that's all that matters really, right?)

jrisk

Postby ramseames » Mon May 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Medicated blistex is the best lip chap I've tried

ramseames

Postby prawnzee » Mon May 05, 2014 7:16 pm

I rub myself with coconut oil

prawnzee

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon May 12, 2014 12:12 am

Does anyone know what the best way of getting rid of sebaceous filaments is? I've had them on my nose for as long as I can remember but now they're spreading to my chin and lips and it's scaring me

RomanEmpire

Postby schiaparelli » Mon May 12, 2014 9:08 am

what do you guys do when you have that one pimple that feels like a gigantic lump on your skin?

i usually do the queen helene mint julep masque (which tends to dry it up a bit—it reverts back to a red lump that diminishes over 2 days) and just obsessively apply benzoyl peroxide. since switching to the /r/skincareaddiction-recommended routine my skin has been quite good, which makes occasional things like this so frustrating.

i also kind of want to get into the asian skincare routine but it involves trying out a lot of products and i'm always lazy/afraid of doing that.

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Mon May 12, 2014 11:54 am

What is "the asian skincare" routine?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby hunnish » Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

downshifting to only cleanser and moisturizer+spf has been very beneficial

hunnish

Postby stellar » Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm

stellar

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon May 12, 2014 8:46 pm

RomanEmpire

Postby stellar » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm

stellar

Postby fun_yunchables » Tue May 13, 2014 10:33 pm

like stellar pointed out its a chemical exfoliant. exfoliating regularly will help reduce the appearance of sebaceous filaments, but you have to be careful about the exfoliator you choose. physical exfoliants (like beads/grit in the wash) you typically want to avoid as they are quite damaging. with a chemical exfoliant you might want to test around a bit first; there are varying strengths (usually given in %s). Stronger exfoliants will leave your skin drier & stuff so depending on how robust your skin type is it's probably best to do a spot test and see how that turns out

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby missrowan » Tue May 13, 2014 10:53 pm

In terms of exfoliating, you should be mindful of your skin type. I'm a firm believer in the "less is more" adage. Quite obviously, over-exfoliating dry skin is going to irritate it but in fact over-exfoliating oily skin will also strip moisture from your skin, causing it to produce more oil in an attempt to rehydrate. You'll end up making your skin more oily if you aren't careful. For that reason, I'd recommend starting small and using less at first. If you have sensitive skin, it might even be worth it to consider just nixing the whole conventional skincare thing and going for a cleansing oil routine. See: .

missrowan

Postby lostie » Sun May 18, 2014 12:17 am

Snagged one of the few remaining at a Sephora today. Will update on how the skincare products work (smiling)

lostie

Postby jrisk » Sun May 18, 2014 12:00 pm

whoa. I accidentally used (skin is super sensitive) a light salicylic cleanser in the shower. I haven't exfoliated in like two months and now my face feels like new.

jrisk

Postby chilljin » Sun May 18, 2014 12:29 pm

i thought moisturizer was gay and stupid and i started using it 2 weeks ago and holy SHIT my face is new

chilljin

Postby seth83292 » Wed May 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Any quick recs for sunscreen that doesn't smell like sunscreen?

seth83292

Postby bels » Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 am

Paula's Choice, neutrogena ultra sheer stuff Kiehls ultra light daily moisturiser.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby donut_milk » Thu May 22, 2014 12:19 pm

You will never go back to regular sunscreen:

donut_milk

Postby blankinput » Thu May 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Paleo/primal diet. I don't know what a pimple is anymore and I can be out in the sun for hours and only get a very slight sunburn, have gotten random compliments from strangers on skin. It sounds too good to be true but it isn't. Almost all dermatologists are in bed with Big Pharma and get kickbacks from prescribing desperate people shitty medicine and topicals. American health system is phenomenal if you have a traumatic injury, but not so great where chronic health conditions are concerned.

Went through the ringer in high school of all these dumb products that make your skin worse, antibiotics, Accutane which eventually fucked up my stomach, etc. Used an extremely strict diet to repair stomach and my health has been 110% since. No grains at all (very rarely, if ever), limited dairy, vegetables, meat, fruit. Pretty simple solution to a ridiculous problem that people have blown the fuck out of proportion. Just thinking of the billions of dollars of industry preying on people makes me sick. Thank god I found a doctor (not holistic medicine, actual board certified) who told me to experiment with my diet.

It does require a severe lifestyle change, but if you want it badly enough it's like anything else.

blankinput

Postby stellar » Thu May 22, 2014 7:41 pm

hello yes, are we going to go anti-chemical/anti-medicine here because i have a lot of very choice words about people who think the proper diet can fix anything and Big Pharma is some evil conglomerate out to kill us all because then they will rule the world with all their money now that all their consumers are dead

and also why are they always portrayed as selling people snake oil knowingly, have you ever considered that the people developing these meds are human too and can't know everything about a condition because it manifests differently in different people, and it's like we're not omnipotent or something

also do you realize that sunburns are bad no matter how "slight" so please wear sunscreen

and also, you kind of diminish everyone's struggles with their skin by saying it's a small, easily solved problem that's blown out of proportion, have you considered not making grand sweeping judgments about other people's issues, especially health related?

stellar

Postby ramseames » Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Any time someone says "big X", be it oil or pharma or government i struggle to take them seriously

ramseames

Postby blankinput » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

I'll concede that my initial comment came out a little too strongly and was worded horribly. I don't actually think that pharmaceutical companies are some collective hive mind looking to ruin everyone's lives. I wrote the comment too quick and should have taken some more time to develop my points. I don't really do Internet arguments but for the sake of clarity I'll write this post and call it quits because I definitely do not have any more time to go back and forth.

I do have sources, one general, two specific:

http://www.propublica.org/article/pay-t ... kback-case
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/does-your-d ... -find-out/
http://www.drugwatch.com/accutane/lawsuit.php

Or go look up the Sunshine Act in conjunction with ACA (U.S. legislation) that deals with pharmaceutical kickbacks...if legislative initiative was taken, this really isn't a problem to sneeze at or to chalk up to "market copy for a conspiracy blog". Lol, give me a break. It's a legitimate problem recognized by governmental authorities and if you don't want to face the facts of kickbacks, well, sorry for you.

Regardless, my main point boils down to this: Yes, acne is a complicated problem, and yes, the cause isn't always known. But when I come in this thread and see a few people with problems bad enough to warrant Accutane discussing the finer points of skincare with no mention of diet, ...yeah, that strikes me as a product of failure at some point in our system. Or when doctors (like my old one) tell me that diet has absolutely no link to acne when in my case, and in the case of many others, that simply isn't true. Who knows if diet/environment will one day be linked as the definitive cause. But to turn to topicals, "luxury" skincare, antibiotics (especially given the threat of antibiotic resistance), and all of this stuff before at least giving diet a chance, Idk what to tell you. Seems irrational, but then again I committed that error too and in writing this stuff I'm just hoping others won't make the same mistake. That's all I'm trying to do... It came out all weird/aggressive because this is a sore subject for me.

blankinput

Postby bobo77 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Is it acceptable for a dude to use some concealer for prom to cover up acne? Don't want my pics to have red shit allover. Is there an inconspicuous was to do it?

bobo77

Postby freddy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 am

talking to a leading clinical expert in food allergy/food intolerance research last year, he acknowledge the self-reports of lessened acne from patients discovering that they have celiac and went on the gluten-free diet or recognizing they're lactose-intolerernce, etc. furthermore he says, so far there is no confirmed study that deterministically correlates food as the causation for manifesting into acne as an end-symptom. unfortunately perhaps it will require a convergence of multidicipinary efforts (Allergists, Gastroenterologists, Nutritionists, and Dermatologists) that they may not have the unifying interest in this issue right now - probably because of the "chicken-or-the-egg" layman ignorance and lack of expertise in confirming the correlation to bring it to larger public light. given the state of research, i'm not sure if folks whom are interested in food issues are willing take an a side interest, albeit potentially large, in acne. understandably this gluten-free/gmo-free/hippie-organic business is fairly recent for this past decade. i'm also not sure how open-minded dermatologists are interested in being informed transdisciplinarity collaboration and being informed through other disciplines and medical specialities. after all, a good amount of them veer on cosmetic improvements (botox) and what is considered non-essential to good health.

unfortunately, no, dermatologist don't look at things holistically and can be one-sided in their reductive diagnosing. if they are only taught to use antibiotics and topical solutions and specially-designed pharmaceuticals as per with accutane, then they may not realize the correlation with diet/nutrition, as that being a registered dietician and food researcher is not their field nor "signed-up" interest - maybe it'll take several more decades to get folks whom first see the observable effects of acne that they immediately think to get referred to see a dermotologist - and for him/her to realize that it may be beyond his specialty realm - that the folks over in GI whom attribute celiac and gluten-intolerance that manifests into not just only the symptoms of acne, but other stuff like headaches, migraines, stomach acne, low-energy, etc. that is more inherently physiologically obstructive within the body - than say acne which as an organ itself is literally more tangible as we're dealing with skin that is external

it is very similar to the psychiatric realm; taking prescribe psychopharmacological anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, or anti-psychotics medications to alleviate the symptoms but it does not resolve social and family issues than can attribute to the causation of the underlying issue at hand. your physician can just throw some wellbutrin in attempts of a quick-quick manner "light up" your seemingly situationally 'down' mood, but they may not be well-skilled or trained to look for furthermore into potentially deeper-seated mental health arrests and issues - they may deterministically label a patients symptoms in an oversimplified perspective. even for psychiatrists whom focus on mental illness may focus too much on the observable symptoms - and can also be swayed by psychosomatic complaints. alternatively there is the more "humanistic" approach by clinical psychologists with a non-medical reductive-diagnostic that may a more holistic perspective in understanding and treatment mental health problems - especially if they are indeed more "social" in nature. it also doesn't mean the patient can be aided with medication along with therapy

for the medical world there are be some inherent issues where it can go beyond a doctor's expertise, which is why seeking out second opinions and differentiated approaches can be ideal; as say a headache or migraine can originate from many sources - it could be your viagra medication or not getting enough sleep - maybe even because we're dealing with arrogant, obnoxious, annoying, or bratty care-tagers or you're your kid is emotionally causing you rife for their hyperactivity and behavioral unpredictability that your self-righteous complaints are undeniably.. psychosomatic. but really, if anything, like psychiatrists whom address a wider gamut of clinical populations, whom are increasingly being overrun with many advances in the disciplines of neuroscience/psychological to inform their medical approach; that we recognize that dermatologists may have the same fate as to how the 'largest organ' - our skin -can be effected by a slew of things, especially when fundamentally the etiological origin is truly elsewhere but manifests as a symptomatic condition externally!

freddy

Postby JewTurk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:34 pm

I went through accutane for 6 months. It's one of those things where after you finish you say it was totally worth it but going into it you want to kill yourself. Akin to braces.

I had a shit time with accutane, emotionally and on the skin. I got dry as fuck, no amount of moisturizer would help, no lip balm, nothing could help. I would flake, it would be really obvious, people would ask what's up with my face and telling them it was accutane would make most people be like "I think your face looked better before" then you just kind of curl up and die inside. Anyways, definitely worth it. If I remember right I had at least a month after I finished my pills before my skin felt good. I get a single pimple every once in a while but they're not nearly as noticeable now.

Can anyone speak about Keratosis Psoriasis?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

I tried exfoliating really hard in the specif areas on my upper arm for a month or so now to no avail. Trying one more 'at-home' remedy before just going to my dermo. It's not nearly as bad in pictures I just hate the feeling of it on my arm. Mine never gets red and irritated.

JewTurk

Postby 7737 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Have you tried chemical exfoliation? Try something like Amlactin (12% AHA, lactic acid) or Neostrata (10-15% AHA, glycolic acid. Regardless of what you use, a lotion or toner is going to be more effective than a cleanser, since the active ingredients will remain on your skin longer instead of just being rinsed off.

PreviousNext

Return to Care