[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - the constant canvas: skincare!

the constant canvas: skincare!

Off topic

Re: the constant canvas: skincare!

Postby kayeight » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:48 am

Aw yeah, skincare thread.

Anyone have advice for how to make hyper-pigmentation scars fade faster? I hear suggestions for vitamin E thrown around a lot but what does that mean - is there a lotion or something I can buy?

I'm a compulsive skin picker so it's hard not to get super depressed about skincare, but I've been getting better lately and I really want the dark spots to go away.

kayeight

Postby JewTurk » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 am

JewTurk

Postby oldtrailmix » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:56 am

an AHA is your friend, .

http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddicti ... nd_how_to/

i use paula's choice 8% gylocolic, as it's easy to apply and doesn't irritate my skin. you basically put it on after cleansing, leave it for around 20-25 minutes, and moisturize.

here's another great thread where they rec based on skintype.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddicti ... ct_thread/

oldtrailmix

Postby 7737 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:29 am

Postby kayeight » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 am

Wow, thanks for all the recs! I currently use a BHA chemical exfoliator because I'm acne-prone but it stupidly never occurred to me to exfoliate my neck (where I have the most spots).

I'll have to try a peel sometime. I already use a Shiseido SPF 45 sunscreen every day so at least I've got that covered.

kayeight

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:44 am

and

My arms are completely clear right now, thank you so much for the amlaction suggestion! Seriously in love with my arms right now, they were so bad the past year.

JewTurk

Postby chilljin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 pm

would like to take a moment to recommend rosehip oil to anybody suffering from spot scars on their face

damn. i only started moisturising/cleansing this year, and this past month i have started mixing a bit of rosehip into my moisturiser - it's honestly worked wonders for my skin

chilljin

Postby oldtrailmix » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:08 pm

two weeks of using paula's choice 8% glycolic every other day along w sunscreen. obviously it's helped a lot (especially in this photo), but im conflicted as i've been getting more new pimples than before while using it. it's sort of slowed down now, but i also have red bumps on my temples which im pretty sure is a sign of irritation.

ImageImage

i'm going to use it every third day i think, through the end of july, and see how that helps. if anything majorly bad pops up i'll probably just stop.

oldtrailmix

Postby smiles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:05 am

My skin is always so oily. Obviously worse because of the humidity but even when its winter it stays quite oily. Should I try using some kind of oil?

Think I've mostly grown out of my acne but occasionally still break out (which is always depressing). Should I avoid oil stuff in that case?

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby 7737 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:12 am

are you moisturizing at the moment? What's the current state of the other parts of your skin (assuming your T zone is the major offender here) - is it showing signs of dehydration? What are you using to cleanse, and are you currently using any actives (AHA/BHA/retinol)?

Postby smiles » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 am

I'm using entirely Aesop products at the moment so I don't think there are active chemicals (?) For moisturizer I'm using an oil free serum (applied morning and evening). Cleansing also morning and night with something called amazing face cleanser. I would usually apply a toner after cleansing but I've almost run out. I also occasionally use a mild exfoliating cleanser. In terms of pimples it's usually around my mouth and cheekbones. The oily part concentrates on my tzone though. Aside from the oily feeling, my skin doesn't feel dry. It feels like the moisturizer isn't absorbing into my skin and just sits there making it oily.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby bels » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:52 am

Does aesop do a "lighter" moisturiser? Could try that. Sounds like a wack moisturiser.

Also just don't add as much moisturiser to your oily t zone

bels
Yung Winona

Postby 7737 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:21 am

Gotcha. I don't THINK your cleanser is overstripping your skin, but it might help to change around your moisturizer a little because it sounds like it's just sitting on your skin and not doing its job. You don't necessarily need to use a moisturizer that contains oil, but it should feel like it's absorbing and ideally won't leave a sticky or greasy film. If that isn't helping, I'd recommend getting something a little heavier for nighttime to reduce the likelihood of stripping and dehydration and use something lighter for day.

My general rec for people with acne-prone skin who don't want to use actives is La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide for day, but that's just because it's fairly benign and you don't need to go hunting it down if its not easy to find. I haven't found something that fills the same niche for nighttime use, but Neutrogena Healthy Skin + 1-2 drops of oil (or none...) isn't bad and covers most grounds. What you want to look for is something relatively simple that doesn't advertise anything other than hydration. Avoid anything with silicone (anything that ends in -cone) listed in the first few lines of the ingredients, because that's just not a helpful moisturizing thing. Get a couple samples if you don't know what makes you break out.

There are also some sunscreens out there that can help control oil (kind of like flood gates...), and sunscreen is a good thing to wear anyway. If that's something you want to try, you'll probably want to use an oil- or cream-based cleanser to remove. You can probably skip daytime moisturizer if you're using sunscreen.

Last thing, make sure you're drinking enough water.

Postby jrisk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I finished my 6 months treastment of isotretinoin and the results have been baller. I haven't had a breakout since month 3. My experience with it was relatively manageable. I timed it pretty well — having dry skin in the winter would have been brutal. As long as I moisturized daily I was fine. it's only been a week since I finished and I can't wait to not need chapstick anymore (I went through three complete tubes of burts bees and two things of aquaphor). Love being acne-free.

jrisk

Postby insect » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:41 pm

Did 2 treatments of accutane 6 months each with no lasting improvement. During my first treatment I went on a 6 hour bike ride with friends in the summer heat with no sunscreen or water which wasn't a good idea. Started exfoliating, eating better, and started some antibiotics and I guess my skin can be considered pretty mild now. I'd still consider it horrible compared to an average young adult though. Might try to do another round of accutane for 6 months to see if I can finally be clear.

insect

Postby blankinput » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:18 pm

blankinput

Postby insect » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:00 am

Most likely stress related because I'm in an intensive program at school. I've tried everything else really including strict diets. The side effects of accutane are annoying when I'm on it but have made no long term difference from what I've experienced. But who knows, it may have made my acne worse.

insect

Postby nick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:19 am

yo I'm not an expert at this stuff but I was sick of my face feeling grimy all the time for some reason - even though I was showering. at work I'd constantly splash my face with water to no avail.

I checked the reddit FAQ and bought recommended cleanser and moisturizer and holy shit - the difference is immense. of course in a matter of two days my face hasn't completely cleared up but its crazy how much better it looks + how much better I feel. super noticeable blemishes may be embarassing as a teen but as an adult they just feel straight up out of place. through my teenage years I always tried those physical exfoliators, tons of face washes etc -

but turns out the key is moisturizing

moisturize

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Stingray Sam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:17 pm

i was prescribed accutane, but thankfully because of my depression i decided not take it. Now I am on antibiotics, epiduo and duac. I wash my face with Cerave after my shower and before I sleep and use a cerave AM moisturizer in the mornings as well. My face feels great and my acne has gone away. If i didn't stop taking care of my skin while i was recovering from my wisdom teeth extraction I would probably be close to acne free. I also find that keeping myself clean shaven makes my face feel significantly cleaner and reduces my outbreaks. Definitely talk to a dermatologist if you are able to.

Stingray Sam

Postby nick » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:55 pm

just used what Stingray Sam described above - the Cerave foaming cleanser and moisturizer (in a tub) Check CVS/Walgreens/Whatever they have in your side of the woods.

The "routine" I follow is now

AM: splash face w/ water and moisturize
PM: clean face with cleanser and moisturize

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Stingray Sam » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:18 pm

FYI I use the cerave cleansing lotion in the pump bottle. It's similar to cetaphil, but I feel like it does a bit better job of cleaning.

Stingray Sam

Postby chadnik » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:56 pm

my skin is the best it's been in years, due to a change in how I approach skincare. I realized that I was probably making my skin/acne worse by attempting to "fight" things with the most intense stuff I could find (10% salicylic acid twice a day, gritty scrubs, etc.), likely actually causing more irritation/acne by stripping my acid mantle. now my mantra is "do no harm." I cannot sing the praises enough of AHA—I don't know what took me so long to try it, except that "chemical exfoliation" sounds scary. I think it, along with cutting out those overly harsh products and those with fatty alcohols (a common skincare ingredient that causes acne in some people), has been responsible for the most improvement. everyone's skin is different, etc. etc. but I figured I'd share my approach since I have been fighting with my skin for so long (Accutane did me no good) instead of being as gentle as possible to it.

routine that is working for me now:

chadnik

Postby camping jazz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:51 pm

i took accutane in high school and it cleared up my bad cystic acne. unfortunately it also permanently dried out my skin/hair, which used to be really oily. now my hair feels like straw when i wash it (i've tried a lot of different shampoos ;~;) but at least i barely get acne anymore.

camping jazz

Postby schiaparelli » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:04 am

i just ordered a bunch of sheet masks
hold me

this is new uncharted skincare territory

schiaparelli

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 am

my sheet masks arrived! and other things.

this thread is about a year old and my approach/attitude/interest/enthusiasm in skincare has changed substantially. i've been dipping my toes into asian beauty products (see picture). there's a ton to experiment with and it's relatively inexpensive (except for the shipping costs ; n ;) and a lot of the products have really lovely fragrances. the panda-shaped thing in the photo, for example, is an brightening eye base (for undereye circles; technically it's more makeup than skincare) and it smells exactly like taro bubble tea to me. taro bubble tea. i spent 5min today sniffing it. and the brown pump bottle is a cleansing oil that smells sugary and pleasantly decadent (it's also an effective cleanser too).

anyone else an asian skincare fan? or experimenting too? tell me about it~

schiaparelli

Postby oneseriouslady » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:18 am

schiaparelli, i love sheet masks! they're so soothing, it's a great way to relax at the end of a day. also, i love how ridiculous people look with one on.

my skincare/make up routine is pretty simple, but the one thing that i'm obsessive about is sunscreen. i feel so paranoid and stressed if i don't wear sunscreen. i used to wear the neutrogena ultra sheer one which was pretty good, but for the past few months i've been using a japanese one called skin aqua sunscreen lotion moisture milk whitening spf 50 which i love. it feels more like i'm applying a lotion/moisturizer to my face than sunscreen because it's not sticky and it sits on the skin really well.

also, i like cheap jojoba oil from trader joe's as a moisturizer.

oneseriouslady

Postby jrisk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 am

I've always wondered and thought about trying jojoba oil as a moisturizer. Do you mix it with moisturizer? or just alone? how much? does it leave your face greasy?

jrisk

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:56 pm

schiaparelli

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 pm

i feel bad for posting so much text + i know there are lots of aesop fans in here, so have some pictures of the aesop shop in melbourne. lighting by .PSLAB, the wood is australian spotted gum. the decor gives it a very serene, luxe-apothecary feel.

schiaparelli

Postby sparkyoriental » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Dipping my toes into the Asian skincare world with my first Shiseido sunscreen! :woop: I've got some acne scars and visible pores on my nose that I'd like to work on, and I'd like to eventually reduce or stop using foundation on a daily basis. I placed a ~beauty~ order on Amazon today, will receive the following:

-Shiseido Senka Aging Care UV Sunscreen SPF50+ PA++++ (supposed to be good for dry skin)
-Andalou Naturals Tumeric Plus C Enlighten Serum (uses MAP, a more stable form of vitamin C)
-CeraVe Moisturizing Facial Lotion PM (a great lightweight lotion with niacinamide)
-My first pair of hair straighteners, ever! Excited to do fancy things like waves with my hair!

I'll update in a couple weeks with reviews.

My current skincare routine:

AM:
Lush Tea Tree Water
I have no idea if this actually does anything. I think I've noticed a correlation between fewer pimples and this product? It's basically tea tree water that you spray on your face. I like it because it's refreshing and fun.

Neutrogena Dry Touch sunscreen spf 45
It's alright, I've been using it for a decade at this point. I'm sure there's better stuff out there but this is an acceptable nexus of cheap, convenient, and okay so I haven't ventured elsewhere (yet!).

PM:
wash face with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and Clarisonic
I have very dry skin and this cleanser doesn't dry it out further. The Clarisonic is great for removing makeup and sunscreen - highly recommend! It's a bit pricy (~100 dollars) and you could probably get similar results with a cheaper face brush, but I've noticed the sebaceous filaments on my nose look better since I've started using the Clarisonic.

Alternate between Alpha Hydrox 12% and Retin-A 1%
I've been using these products since middle school. Both exfoliate and leave my skin nice and soft. They used to be enough to keep my skin looking glowy and clear, but I've noticed that in the past 6 months my skin has been dull, flakey, and dry.

CeraVe lotion
Lightweight lotion, nothing really to say about it other than it's adequate.

sparkyoriental

PreviousNext

Return to Care