[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Gardening

Gardening

Off topic

Gardening

Postby omgimacarrot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:43 am

Post what you plan on planting/have planted for the spring/summer.

Personally, I plan on getting a bonsai once I return from college. Care for them seems tedious, so I want to make sure I get everything right. Going to try to clean up a neglected area of yard behind my parents house to plant some basil, arugula, oregano and peppers while I learn to cook (mostly pizzas).

omgimacarrot

Re: Green Thumbs

Postby Stingray Sam » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:16 am

i plant peppers every year, unfortunately it's difficult to get them to grow very well in our climate.

Stingray Sam

Postby purkinje » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 am

Tomatoes on tomatoes on tomatoes

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby RycePooding » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:43 am

tomatoes cucumbers onions.

I just need olive trees and feta makers and I'll be $$$

RycePooding

Postby rjbman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I got a bonsai for my birthday in August. I'll take a pic once I'm home.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby omgimacarrot » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:59 pm

omgimacarrot

Postby rjbman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:16 pm

Don't know the species. Just water it every few days and have it sitting literally right next to my window. I know they're supposed to be outside sometimes so I'll probably keep it outside during the summer.

Also paging soundclip, he's all about that bonsai life.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby ohnodeadchickens » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:09 am

Friend got me a bonsai at our late Christmas party yesterday. I spent all of today researching bonsai care still have so many questions. Does the ledge outside of my window count as outdoors? Or does the residual temperature difference from my room affect it?

ohnodeadchickens

Postby ohnodeadchickens » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:31 pm

Jeez what happened to me last night. Dunno where the number three came from, I have more like a million questions.

ohnodeadchickens

Postby omgimacarrot » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:17 am

omgimacarrot

Postby soundclip989 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:41 pm

Here is the greenhouse I built to protect my bonsai from the winter.The trees are going through a winter dormancy period and must remain outside. Some of them are pretty tall (azalea, Arctic blue willow, huge yew yamadori I dug out of the ground, and a white pine.), so I had to build it higher. I might keep it somewhere in the summer to super grow herbs and veggies.
But I'm going to build a bench on the outside of the cement for the trees come spring. Ill have my first garden. :3
I have to repot all of them and start giving them a styling. (Wiring, bending, growing, root trim)

Here are some of mine.

Green tower boxwood. Trunk chopped but not yet styled or pruned.Image
Shimpaku juniper. Fun material I got at work and styled. The main trunk used to be straight. I recommend this kind, but I have to let that trunk thicken for a few years.Image
Awesome magnolia. Can't wait for it to flower.still needs to be wired.
Upright white pine. I can't wait to wire this one. I chopped a large portion of the trunk off, so I'm holding off until spring, so I don't shock it too bad.
My first. Just need to let this one grow because I pruned it a lot.

I have more though too.

soundclip989

Postby ohnodeadchickens » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Soundclip, I actually can't figure out what species it is. The friend who gave it to me didn't remember what the person at the nursery told him and I haven't found pictures of a similar plant anywhere. Apologies for the potato-pics but this is what it looks like:
Image Image
Climate is southern california fairly close to the ocean, so my main concern is that it won't get cold enough for a dormant period. Also when I got it several leaves were dry and a couple fell off the first day, and since then I've read about how to water correctly and have been doing that, but so far (the past 4 days) there hasn't been any noticeable improvement.

ohnodeadchickens

Postby rublev » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 am

There's not much happening outside here just now. My fave silver birch tree got blown over in the violent storms a few weeks ago :( Our greenhouse is a bit of an empty shell until spring kicks back in, but we usually have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers....more things i can't remember. One of my fave times of last year (omg) was late autumn and picking all the berries in our garden and surrounding fields. So many blackberries! We would then buy cheap fruit that was nearly out of date in the supermarket and make our own jam (just in the microwave with sugar) and now i can't eat shop bought jam because nothing compares :((((

I'm in charge of inside plant watering. I'm sad to say i've lost a few this year with over watering (my fault). Something i feel i'm best suited to looking after cactus as you pretty much just leave them alone.

I actually bought this lil guy the weekend before Christmas and he's doing really well!!

looks a bit like a bonsi but he ain't. I also got an aloe vera plant which has TAKEN OVER the corner of a room...it happened quickly

rublev
Political Editor

Postby soundclip989 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 pm

soundclip989

Postby omgimacarrot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm

The person who keeps up the Greenhouse let me have this jade. Needs desperately to be put in a new pot and will hopefully be picking up some fertilizer for it. My college town has terrible water, which apparently causes the white residue on the leaves. He said spraying some RO water on the leaves would help, so I'm going to try that because right now I hate how the leaves don't have that "luster."

The Greenhouse at my college is pretty much dying out, so at the end of the semester I'll be taking a decent amount of cacti (if I had enough room I'd be taking the banana tree).

omgimacarrot

Postby eli7 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:48 pm

all of my staghorn ferns are doing fine except one, i'm hoping her leaves just hit their shelf life. and my christmas cactus didn't bloom.

help

at least most of my succulents are lookin good.

eli7

Postby prawnzee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:37 pm

this is my Zamioculcas. I got this thing as a housewarming party gift back in 2007 and it has been in my loving care ever since. very easy to take care of, as evidenced by the fact that it's still alive, although it could be healthier. I always forget to give her water, have never changed the mould and never used any kind of fertilizers. good thing it doesn't need much watering. she likes wine. I couldn't imagine living without her

those cut off parts are dead I believe. tips on wut to do with them?

prawnzee

Postby soundclip989 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 pm

soundclip989

Flower power

Postby sknss » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 pm

What's growing in your garden?

Here's a little one attempting a looping

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Re: Flower power

Postby ramdomthought » Sat May 17, 2014 3:45 pm

my new bedside friend

i hope i don't accidentally try to drink it

ramdomthought

Postby exprof » Sat May 17, 2014 3:52 pm

my orchid friend :-)

exprof

Postby oucho » Sat May 17, 2014 4:01 pm

together with my dad we planted about 25 trees in a couple of days a few weeks ago, I can't actually remember what any of them were but it felt GOOD

oucho

Postby exprof » Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 pm

I love trees! Shagbark hickory is probably my favourite.

exprof

Postby vgtbls » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:11 pm

So I've been taking care of my mom's garden and I'm finding it to be really fulfilling. Anyone who has me on snapchat gets a couple garden-related snaps a day.

Here's the planter beds (spoiler because wide picture):

There's more than this but this is the interesting part. We've got cucumbers, tomatoes, pumpkins, rhubarb, zucchini, and watermelon.

Here's what I've picked and not yet eaten:

The round things are cucumbers too!

vgtbls

Postby sknss » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:29 am

some nice tombs

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Re: Gardening

Postby radicalbusiness » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:54 pm

How are everyone's gardens (or indoor plant collections) doing!?

radicalbusiness

Postby vgtbls » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Relatively well! The lingering cold and heavy rain kind of stunted our tomatoes and cucumbers, but it seems they're picking up steam.

I successfully split my christmas cactus into three christmas cactuses, and I adopted my girlfriend's orchid. Nervous about the orchid, because I have no clue what I'm doing. I aggressively trimmed the spike and am hoping for the best. Seems to be starting a new leaf!

vgtbls

Postby bleeker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 pm

bleeker

Postby oucho » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:26 am

I don't have a garden either but I help my parents in their garden in France. I became interested in gardening when they got the place a few years ago so it's cool to have been helping in the garden since they got it, when it looked pretty crap apart from having an amazing meadow. I'll take some pics when I'm next down there, I don't really have any now, we've planted a lot of trees and hedging to separate the garden into a couple of different areas. I've also spent so much time planting yellow rattle plugs into the meadow with 0 results :'( .I dug over and raked an area of the meadow earlier this year and spread a pack of meadow seeds:
A lot of is annual plants like poppies which they put into those seed mixes anyway but hopefully some perennials will come up and naturalise into the meadow too!

oucho

Postby kickingthefly » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm

@oucho yep, gardens. more the hieronymous bosch/paul mccarthy variety- space of desire, porous boundary, miscegenation. but still i suppose i should apologise for disparaging comments i might have made in the past.

kickingthefly

Next

Return to Care