[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby szy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:34 am

szy

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:50 am

To be fair it was foolish of me to expect something good from Luc Besson. Add the fact that it's "supposed" to take place in France and i'm french, you quickly realize how bad it is.

spahdfgo

Postby szy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am

szy

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 am

I'm assuming you're american ?

Americans have a really skewed view of Besson because of Léon and The Fifth Element but he's considered to be a very shitty director here in France (akin to Michael Bay).

spahdfgo

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Being John Malkovich has to be my favorite film. It's weirdness along with the creative writing amazes me everytime I watch it. A thing I also love about it is, that scenes like when Malkovich is shouting at John out at the highway "It's my head Schwartz!" and this pick up comes up the highway, while someone shouts "Hey Malkovich, Think fast!" and throws a beer can in his head. That shit wasn't scripted or anything. Also the comments in the movie about him being a jewel thief, landed him a role as a jewel thief in a movie a few years later. Such a great movie.

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby b4my » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Upstream color was amazing, I just want to watch it again and again. So hallucinatory and beautiful and unsettling.

b4my

Postby midvh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm going to La Vie d'Adele tomorrow, at this beautiful little cinema:

I'm excited.

midvh

Postby maj » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:45 pm

i was watching sin city but i couldn't help but be distracted by disby making an appearance

maj

Postby Syeknom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I spent so long obsessed by his glasses in that film, still am to be honest. Would love a pair that reflective and round.

Syeknom

Postby can- » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:32 pm

amazing costume design in llewyn davis. great film as well

can-

Postby ramseames » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:46 am

saw this the other night. it was strange, it took a while to get moving and about 3/4s of the way through it felt like it was going on way too long. it picked up after that, and everything seemed like it was coming together plotline-wise, building up to something big, but then it finished abruptly. very odd. Jennifer lawrence was great, christian bale was ok, Louis CK was really good (he wasnt a huge character but it was amusing that he was included). costume design was cool, fucking massive lapels/ties. not an incredible movie but definitely worth seeing.

ramseames

Postby sid3000 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:22 am

I know what you mean ramseams. It droned on several occasions and just created incomplete branches of the plot, then doubled back to the main line. Seemed like something Scorsese would make on ritalin. Bradley Cooper is one of my favorites though and I thought he did great.

sid3000

Postby b4my » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:43 am

I watched tekkonkinkreet for the first time last night and I can't stop thinking about it, it's been sticking with me in a really special way. Really beautiful movie w/ great characters and a setting I just want to get lost in forever.

The whole thing's on youtube if you like animation and have 2 hours to kill.

b4my

Postby parastexis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:48 pm

Caught up on my 2013 films the last week with Frances Ha, Blue is the Warmest Color, and Leviathan. Really liked all three, with Blue probably being my favorite. Still want to see 12 Years a Slave and A Touch of Sin.

parastexis

Postby hunnish » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:17 am

Been spending my break catching up on movies in theatres (can't go to the theatre near school without a car/bus).

I saw American Hustle last Wednesday. Different than what I was expecting but I liked it a lot. Could definitely have done with some more time in the editing room to trim the fat. Best part were the costume and set design, though. Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper's suits were out of control and Jennifer Lawrence's outfits were great (notably the velour tracksuit).

Thursday I went and saw 12 Years a Slave. The movie was insanely good with amazing performances all around, especially for Nyong'o and Fassbender. Some of the longer shots such as showed some fantastic cinematography. My only gripe is that Regardless, I cried during the final two scenes so the movie did it's job well. Might go see it again tomorrow.

hunnish

Postby starfox64 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 am

American Hustle was a movie that had a lot of good elements but I wasn't totally satisfied with the final product. I think that the story just wasn't that great, which is obviously a big hindrance to making a good movie, regardless of how great the performances are.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby eufemism » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

I've watched several movies over the last week

Dredd - It was good. Not a fan of lots of blood and excessive violence, but you don't go into Dredd expecting no violence.

Kick Ass - I loved it. Nic Cage was awesome. The scene in slow motion used a Phantom and it was great. Fire in slow motion always looks cool.

The Other Guys - Marky Mark was ok and Will Ferrell was slightly better. I wasn't a fan of Marky Mark's character. He seemed pretty flat and the whole peacock thing was gimmicky.

True Grit - It was enjoyable.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby hooplah » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

american hustle dragged like a mother fucker. it's been a while since i actually felt like pulling my phone out in the middle of the theater to see how much longer was left in the movie. it just kept jumping all over the place. i suppose that's a type of realism, but goddamn if a movie's gonna be that long, every scene and every plot element should count.

christian bale and jennifer lawrence were fucking amazing in it. i cannot STAND amy adams though. i think she's a horrible actress. i liked her in enchanted so i thought maybe her performance in american hustle was just a god-awful one-off, but immediately afterward i watched man of steel for the first time and realized there is just something incredibly rigid and unbelievable (in the literal sense) about her acting

hooplah

Postby eli7 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:43 pm

I finally got around to watching an american astronaut. man, it was so awesome. i listened to a bunch of the billy nayer show and it's really hit or miss, though it works incredibly well as a film soundtrack.

eli7

Postby SweetJavaBrown » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:15 pm

I watched Spring Breakers yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I can understand how others wouldn't like it though, there really aren't any likeable characters . But I think that's what Harmony Korine was going for. James Franco was so great in it.

SweetJavaBrown

Postby can- » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:54 am

I agree that American hustle never really came together despite amazing performances. Amy Adams doesn't really shine but her performance was excellent. she plays her part and you never quite tell where she stands. I was very entertained throughout but didn't love it

saw takeshi kitano's 'beyond outrage' in theaters today and would recommend it for anyone looking for a yakuza potboiler.

can-

Postby rublev » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:10 pm

I watched half of Naked over the weekend but it was so grim i had to stop...and just...cover myself in honey sprinkles or whatever. It felt like drowning in a thick black goo. It was still good though.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby SweetJavaBrown » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:43 pm

I watched Her yesterday and it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I expected a good movie, but Joaquin Phoenix was great and the atmosphere that Spike Jonze created was a really believable future.

SweetJavaBrown

Postby RycePooding » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Inside Llewyn Davis, despite being plotless, was phenomenal. Great music too.

RycePooding

Postby RycePooding » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:53 pm

guys what are these emotions i'm feeling after seeing Her?

RycePooding

Postby eufemism » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:07 am

I watched Easy A last week. I loved the dialogue between Emma Stone's character and her parents. Why can't I be so witty and chill.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby Whype » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:28 am

Movie date cancelled on me, but I went and saw Her anyways.. That was the right choice

Whype

Postby jrisk » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:50 am

I lied ryce, I didn't see Inside Llewyn Davis but I saw Her instead.

jrisk

Postby SteevMike » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:03 am

i don't recall being bored for a second of american hustle

if not for james franco i would have enjoyed 0% of spring breakers

SteevMike

Postby deadkitty » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 am

Seen a few films recently.

New Hobbit film was a fun watch, but I couldn't help but think throughout the entire thing "that's not how fire works", but given the source material being aimed at kids I guess it's understandable. 48 fps was a lot less noticeable than in the first, although I can't say it really bothered me to begin with. I feel like making the book into the whole trilogy is a bit of an act of self indulgence on Jackson's part but I'm curious to see what he tacks onto the hobbit story to "bridge the gap" between this and lotr.

Dallas Buyer's Club was pretty good. I really liked Matthew McConaughey in it and seeing Bradford Cox act was a bit of a novelty.

Her was beautiful. I think that's the best way to describe it. Really dug the whole look of the entire film and the costuming reminded me of an Efilevol or 45rpm lookbook. Score was fantastic too, Arcade Fire did a really great job. I'm pretty excited for a standalone release. Writing was A+ too. Props to Spike Jonze. Probably my movie of the year.

12 Years A Slave was also really, really great. Cinematography was stunning and the way some of the shots were drawn out was really superb. I know it's a really cliche thing to say, but this film was exceptionally powerful. Agree with hunnish regarding Brad Pitt. That was something that really stuck out and bothered me, but I guess it didn't really make much difference to the film on its own. Currently downloading the rest of McQueen's stuff. Pretty eager to check it out.

pretty disappointing none of these films are playing in cinemas here until late february but whatever. I'll probably go see Her and 12 Years again.

super rough thoughts but whatever. I think it's good to get this kind of stuff down

deadkitty

PreviousNext

Return to Care