[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby sknss » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:07 pm

??

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby agvs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:58 am

is one of my all-time favorites. Written, directed, starring Vincent Gallo, who is a pretty interesting guy (or a huge egotistical douche depending on how you choose to view him). So many great scenes - tap dancing Christina Ricci, dinner with his parents, Ben Gazzara singing (audio is actually Gallo's real dad), Vinnie Gallo bowling, and that intense fantasy sequence at the end. It's a perfect little movie. The cinematography is great too. It really captures a certain aesthetic and keeps it throughout.

More images

agvs

Postby eufemism » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 am

I just watched Her. Fucking hell that movie hit so many emotions. It made me reflect on the tough times I'm going through right now. There was a certain line Theodore said that really hit home. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was along the lines of bringing down everyone around you because of your emotions and inability to move on.

And that music that was playing during the beach scene. Holy shit that was beautiful.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby Stingray Sam » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:11 pm

just watched the seventh seal, what an amazing movie! Each seen is just filled to the brim with so much meaning. I definitely think that everyone should watch this

Stingray Sam

Postby ramseames » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:43 pm

watched her in small chunks and finally finished it last night. Dunno if I'm just really cynical but I couldn't accept the premise at all, I sat there cringing basically the whole way through. the only part that resonated at all was the stuff relating to his divorce but even then as soon as she started railing him for not being able to handle a real relationship and choosing one without actual emotions my brain just went yeah exactly that's it 100%, which probably wasn't how it was intended to be received.

hope it doesn't win best picture but I'm sure 12 years a slave will anyway for political reasons.

ramseames

Postby SteevMike » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 am

The Lego Movie is fucking fantastic, you all owe it to yourselves to watch it.

Also looks great in 3D, unlike almost every other 3D movie.

SteevMike

Postby hooplah » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 pm

the lego movie was indeed pretty spectacular
the cameos were hilarious and the movie was visually amazing, i can't even fathom in my tiny brain how they did everything
humor was very off-beat. some annoying young adults in my theater were laughing way too loudly at some of the jokes though

i somehow ended up watching pompeii this weekend. it was pretty hilarious, the whole movie is just one ridiculous thing after another. kit harington looked fucking hot though, oh my god

i'd go ygritte on that shit any day of the week

also adewale akinnuoye agbaje was far and away the best part of that hot mess of a movie. the entire audience was cheering every time he did something cool

also, KEIFER SUTHERLAND is in it????? it's fucking hilarious. i dunno who casted him in that shit but it makes no sense whatsoever and he affects this crazy accent and it's just hilarious

hooplah

Postby paf » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:22 pm

Saw Philomena yesterday, it was really touching. Lots of "twists", but it didn't really feel gimmicky in that regard, probably because the story is mostly true. Would definitely recommend.

Also, before the movie they showed the trailer for The Grand Budapest Hotel, and holy hell I cannot wait to see that movie. Wes Anderson has really nailed down an aesthetic that works for him and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.

paf

Postby verilyvert » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:42 am

Just watched Piranha 3D, and very much enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of exploitation/grindhouse/b movie awfulness that revel in giving the audience exactly the kind of low brow entertainment they expect. While I do appreciate more high minded cinema, few film watching experiences are as enjoyable as a viewing a quintessential drinking movie with a bunch of close friends.

For anyone breaking into the genre, I highly recommend viewing one of the following more modern flics with a good group and a healthy supply of your preferred poison.

While Tarantino might be the king of script writing, I prefer Rodriguez's eye for direction, especially in a film like Planet Terror

The very watchable Black Dynamite

If there is anyone else with interest in this genre, I'd like to have a thread where we could share and sift through the dredge together.

verilyvert

Postby fun_yunchables » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:16 am

just watched sharknado on netflix and it's so terrible

the funny part is that a storm with potential tornado warnings is supposed to hit southern california tomorrow

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby maj » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:44 am

the lego movie is possibly the best thing i have ever seen, the animation/story/humor/cast is off the charts, was crying of laughter at parts.

would recommend paying ludicrous cinema prices to go see.

maj

Postby tttigre » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:51 am

Have heard lots about The Lego Movie. Can't find a good copy online but my roommate is insisting on dragging me to pay money and see it.

I think this week is Wong Kar-wai week in my East Asian Cinema class. He's one of my absolute favorites, I'm really excited to rewatch his stuff (mostly 90s work) with academic discussion afterwards.

若者文化
tttigre

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 pm

[youtube]watch?v=1Fg5iWmQjwk[/youtube]

The release of Wes Anderson's Grand Budapest Hotel is quickly approaching. Very stoked. Anyone else?

IsaiahSchafer

Postby eufemism » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:13 pm

I watched Son of God today. It was an ok retelling of Jesus' life. It definitely felt rushed. Characters were introduced quickly and didn't have much weight to them.

As for positives, there were some really cool stills and the music was on point. The movie had some gorgeous scenes. The music was well done and fit the movie perfectly. There was a certain piece during an intense scene that captured my attention the most. Idk if it was a cello or a bass, but it was a series of low notes and it sounded beautiful.

My main complain was the actor that played Jesus. Half of the time I couldn't tell whether he was gonna start laughing or break into tears. Simon Kunz and Darwin Shaw who played Nicodemus and Peter respectively were the better part of the movie. Also notable was Greg Hicks who played Pontius Pilate.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby ramseames » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am

ramseames

Postby Renalan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:48 pm

I saw The Wind Rises this past weekend and reflecting upon it, I feel like it is Hayao Miyazaki's greatest film. Although there are a few awkward moments here and there, I feel like the characters are relatable and the movie's themes resonate with me more than any of his other films.

Renalan

Postby kyung » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 am

just watched kotonoha no niwa (the garden of words) for the first time and i thought it was lovely

it's a short(er) film which lasts only about 40 minutes, but if you have the free time i highly suggest it. it doesn't really take time to flesh out the backstories of all the characters but i think the point is to illustrate a brief relationship that two individuals create during this time of rainfall. i thought it was really interesting how the idea of rain (think, gloominess and dull gray days) is subverted into something much more positive in that the rain is something that brings life to many living things, whether it be a plant or a relationship. i liked the imagery of flooding as a metaphor for the rush of emotions one can feel ranging from despair to love and how fighting such a flood is ultimately, futile. this movie made me feel many feels and i highly recommend

and as per usual, shinkai's art is in-fucking-credible

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby jrisk » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:27 pm

can't wait to see this movie

The Grand Budapest Hotel!

jrisk

Postby hooplah » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:37 pm

watched captain phillips this weekend. thought it was a good movie but wasn't blown away. was definitely great at keeping the tension up throughout the entirety of the film, but overall i walked away not really feeling anything. i love tom hanks, he was good i suppose. barkhad abdi was okay, not sure it justified an oscar nod. googling the "truth" about captain phillips afterward has kind of marred my perception of the film

also watched rush. really, really enjoyed it. i have a huge fucking crush on daniel bruhl so that made it even more enjoyable. some of the color grading was a bit intense imo, and the nudity seemed gratuitous at times (and uncomfortable knowing that opie was directing) but overall it was definitely full of adrenaline and had a very satisfying story. was pleased to google about lauda and hunt's real life relationship afterward and find that the film was at least mostly faithful to the true story.

lastly, watched the way way back. was sooooooo excited to see this movie and was bitterly, bitterly disappointed. allison janney was flawless as always, and steve carrell and toni collette were great, but the script writing was so cheesy. the things the teenagers would say and do were so horribly exaggerated. too kitsch for me, was not expecting that. the ending made me roll my eyes.

the end

hooplah

Postby bels » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 am

Saw Grand Budapest last night and it was really good. Love seeing films that use strong tropes but twist them into the creator's vision.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm

post-mortem on street fighter the movie, an important cultural milestone in my early life

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby bhajz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Watched The Intouchables for about the 10th time today, such a lovely movie and definitely one of my favorites. Never has a movie made me laugh and cry so much. really can't recommend it enough.

Also someone recommend me some more good french movies please (smiling)

bhajz

Postby sknss » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am

good french (francophone?) films

OSS 117 Rio ne répond plus
Les garçons et Guillaume, à table
Les beaux gosses
Jacky au royaume des filles
Le skylab
Queen of Montreuil
L'auberge espagnole
Entre les murs
Tomboy
La naissance des pieuvres
L'esquive
La graine et le mulet
La vie d'Adèle
Le passé
Grand central
Le gamin au vélo
Jeune et jolie
La belle personne
Les chansons d'amour // Dans Paris (think would like those)
Non ma fille tu n'iras pas danser
Les bien aimés
Un amour de jeunesse
La guerre est déclarée
De rouille et d'os
Amour

the list goes from laugh to cry

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby ramseames » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:17 am

ramseames

Postby lostie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:24 am

My roommate decided to watch Mulan on a whim today.. oh man the feels. Mulan is the OG bad bitch :woop:

lostie

Postby bels » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:05 am

Watched Under The Skin.

The least aroused its possible to be whilst watching ScarJo taking her clothes off.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby chan0 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 am

chan0

Postby jrisk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:42 am

I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel the other day. Just thinking and reminiscing about the movie makes me smile. It's so jampacked of cameos, quippy lines and bright colors, even more so than his other movies that it's almost overwhelming. ah it's so great.

jrisk

Postby RycePooding » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Finally got around to this. Great performances, beautifully shot and hilarious at times. Great characters throughout.

RycePooding

Postby oucho » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:58 pm

I watched captain america on imax yesterday whilst hungover, that was definitely a bit much

but here are some other films I have enjoyed recently:
This movie is super incredible but also really hard to watch, I know that arthouse style documentaries are quite big at the moment but this is the first I've seen, one of the greatest films I have ever seen I think

another super good film, I love how understated it is, I got very into it

by the same director as the burmese harp and also v good

oucho

PreviousNext

Return to Care