[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby urog » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:27 pm

you should watch adrift in tokyo. it's essentially about two losers with radical mullets that take a walk through tokyo and discover that even losers can find peace, even for a moment.

also contains cool fits

urog

Postby oucho » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:45 pm

I think this film affected me quite a lot, I even started drinking during the party scene, but I don't know why

oucho

Postby oucho » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 am

the casting in this film is completely absurd

oucho

Postby hooplah » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:35 pm

watched philomena. judi dench is just amazing in it. infuriating but very touching story. steve coogan is good too. reminds me, i need to get around watching the trip

watched lee daniels' the butler. i thought the title was fucking vain in the vein of tyler perry, but apparently it's because of a lawsuit over the use of "the butler." sorry, lee daniels. anyway the movie was worth watching in a forrest gump trip through history type of way, but it was also pretty melodramatic and saccharine. reading the true story afterward made me "wtf" in a big way, as the true story is pretty much only the seed from which the aggrandizing and greatly hyperbolizing "lee daniels' the butler" grew, fabricating circumstances, conversations, and even entire human beings along the way.

watched the book thief. made me cry buckets, that's all i'll say

hooplah

Postby stappard_ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm

stappard_

Postby stappard_ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:21 pm

Just watched by Richard Ayoade.

Very well made, art-directed within an inch of its life and full of character. Its really exciting to see a director early in their career that has so much vision and confidence. Its billed as a comedy but the comedy is bleak, very British, and there a few non-sequitur moments that add to the dense atmosphere.

It touches on a lot of themes that I suspect may resonate at least in part with others in the c-t demographic - the sometimes lonely life of a person who's young, but not that young, living in a faceless city, doing a job they didn't dream of, etc.

There was obviously a lot of meditation on confidence, self-presentation, the relative importance of inner/outer appearances there too, which was great to mull over whilst deciding if I'll be more impressive to women if I buy some new trainers

stappard_

Postby bels » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:58 am

which trainers

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:28 am

stappard_

Postby RycePooding » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm

Wow Grand Budapest was amazing. Very different from usual Wes Anderson. Thoroughly enjoyable on many levels.

RycePooding

Postby Spartangy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Just watched Eraserhead.

Loved the use of sound in the film, and the cinematography in a lot of parts (especially the beginning) was great, but there were quite a few parts of the movie that just seemed pretentious/2deep4u. Awesome movie though, but I don't know how to really feel about it.

, .
Spartangy

Postby deadkitty » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Just got back from seeing Under the Skin and it was seriously good. It's been on my radar for a while but I haven't been able to see it in cinemas or find a torrent until now since it's mostly been playing at film festivals. That being said, I'm really glad there weren't any torrents because I can't imagine seeing it anywhere but a cinema and walking out with the same experience. The cinematography was some of the best I've ever seen and the opening sequence completely blew me away. Every single shot was stunningly beautiful. Sound design was equally as great.

Scarlett Johanssen was a really great choice for the film and I think she did a seriously amazing job. Her performance was almost an anti-performance with her playing the role of a "performer" and she managed to make every action naturally unnatural.

It's really a shame neither the director nor the cinematographer have really done anything of note in a while. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of their work. If it's playing in any of your guys towns GO SEE IT. If there's a film that deserves your money it's this one.

deadkitty

Postby eufemism » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Watched Hara Kiri: Death of a Samurai today. The music was really good throughout and the wardrobe was good.

Also, on the DVD previews before the movie there was an advertisement for a short film called Mr. Stache about a guy and his mustache. It looked pretty funny.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby can- » Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 am

short and sweet. great performances all around, doesn't drag nearly as much as it could, loved the way it ended

can-

Postby prawnzee » Sat May 10, 2014 4:53 am

watched La vie de bohéme last night. what an amazing movie. amazing actors, very cool fashions too. go watch it people

prawnzee

Postby CleanThug » Fri May 16, 2014 8:28 pm

haven't seen Inglorious Bastards before, so I watched that tonight

Classic tarantino right here, and maybe because i'm jewish myself but as gory as this movie is I found myself grinning often (this sounds fucked up, don't mean it that way). If I were to put this on to a list, it would probably makke it into my top ten. So obviously if you havent seen it, check it out. $4 on the amazon play store. This makes me more excited for the impending Pitt (rumored I know, just have a feeling) appearance on the next season of True Detective.

CleanThug

Postby Syeknom » Sat May 17, 2014 1:58 am

Syeknom

Postby vgtbls » Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 am

A very similar thing happened with Django Unchained. Tarantino uses violence and comedy very closely together. All of the violence against black people was excruciating, whereas the violence against white people was hilarious. People knock Tarantino sometimes but his ability to shape audiences is masterful.

vgtbls

Postby purkinje » Sat May 17, 2014 10:57 am

I saw Godzilla last night and it was really disappointing. Godzilla himself got ~10 minutes of screen time for the whole movie and he was barely seen at all for the first hour and a half, and his cloverfieldish enemy was lame and derivative. Seems like the tried to carry it on a human element which didn't fly at all because of mediocre acting (and Cranston barely features in the film). Much preferred Gareth Edward's previous film Monsters which imo was a lot more successful doing the whole human-drama-set-in-a-monster-movie thing and created characters the audience actually cared about. Either go the pacific rim route and do everything completely over the top or do the human element in a better way.

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby can- » Sat May 17, 2014 11:34 pm

Last Lovers Left Alive

I enjoyed this and would strongly recommend it. tilda swinton steals the show but they have major chemistry together. it doesn't hurt that the styling is impeccable. wryly funny, also very sad. she wears an amazing white notched band collar leather jacket that I couldn't stop admiring.

can-

Postby navin » Sun May 18, 2014 12:40 am

although i agree that godzilla was kinda disappointing, the few parts where it appear where breathtaking. Also the sound in the movie was amazing

hype hype hype

navin

Postby jrisk » Mon May 19, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm so pumped for Guardians of the Galaxy.

[youtube]?v=9bz0QOOT9Hk[/youtube]

heheheh

jrisk

Postby eufemism » Mon May 26, 2014 3:03 am

Nearly six years later i finally watched Wanted. This movie is fucking nonsensical. So unrealistic, but so awesome. The soundtrack for this movie was amazing. At times it seemed comical and completely out of place but it just emphasized the ridiculousness of what was happening in the movie. Pacing felt weird and there was little character development, but when you can bend bullets and slow down time who cares. James McAvoy and Chris Pratt's characters were amazing. Loved this movie more than I should have. 11/10.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby CleanThug » Tue May 27, 2014 2:10 am

Watched Inception again.

During my first watch I recognized it as an exciting action film with a cool little twist at the end. Recently, someonee reccommended me a about the film. I wasn't exactly pumped to waste 40 minutes of my life, but I decided to give it a try regardless. I feel that you really don't understand Inception whatsoever without watching it. I often subscribe to theories whole-heartedly but I think this is an exception. On my second viewing I had a totally different view of the film. The story seems almost linear(hard to believe I know) without knowing all the information brought up on that video.

watch the Google talk and then give Inception another try, you won't be disappointed

CleanThug

Postby exprof » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:08 am

Anyone got any favourite movies to fall asleep to? My current favourite is Pride and Prejudice (I alternate between the 2005 film and the 1995 miniseries) but I'd love some new suggestions!

exprof

Postby deadkitty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 am

enter the void is a good one

deadkitty

Postby JewTurk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:42 am

JewTurk

Postby Syeknom » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Just finished Polanski's Chinatown - unbelievably rich and exciting film.

The 1930s suits featured are insane as well - trim but with full trousers, massive lapels with low gorges, shirts with gloriously strong point collars and amazingly well chosen shades/colours and patterns.

Of special note are some of Jack Nicholson's jackets:

Back of this cream suit jacket is waisted with a pleated upper half.

Another number he wears later has no vents in the skirt (traditionally american style) but a single vent down the back of all places.

Which opens out to provide freedom of movement - a beautiful form of action back.

Extremely dark film which very slowly and gently reveals itself to be a subversion of our classic understandings of film noir - characters we expect to be an archetype fool us, situations unfold out of our protagonist's control or understanding and we're left with the pained impression of pissing in the wind. Forget it, Jake; it's Chinatown.

Highly recommend.

Syeknom

Postby wiggly--woo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:55 pm

This week I finally got round to seeing Joanna Hogg's Archipelago. Thematically, Archipelago is essentially about two semi-related things.

Firstly, it's about family. The film is centered on a very well-to-do middle class bourgeois family where everything seems fine initially but underlying tensions very quickly emerge, and it starts to show how, like many families, this is far from being a functional, healthy, unified group of people. Secondly, it's about identity. The children of the family are well into adulthood, and Tom Hiddleston's character continually seems to struggle to negotiate the disconnect between his own identity and sense of self in everyday life, and the role that he sinks into when surrounded by his family.

In essence, it's a rather slow moving but visually and thematically interesting film, centered on very mundane and everyday interactions and conversations, but remains engaging throughout as the drama builds up bit by bit until quiet discontent becomes a bit louder. I do think there is something slightly pretentious and condescending about how the opening sequence gives the definition of Archipelago (a group of scattered islands in a large body of water) but the title and by extension its setting on the archipelago of the Scilly Isles works nicely as a (somewhat cliche) metaphor. Thoroughly enjoyable overall.

Just as an aside, I was somewhat surprised to find several DVD copies of 'Cannibal Holocaust' in HMV the other day and almost bought it but decided not to. Partly because i didn't want the cashier to think I'm some kind of lunatic, but mainly because whilst I'd love to have it sitting in my collection on the basis that I consider it to be a film-making landmark of sorts, I do feel that paying money for it would somehow condone a work which has a handful of really quite disgusting and morally abhorrent scenes of genuine animal cruelty contained within it.

wiggly--woo

Postby rublev » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby hot coffee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 pm

:arrow: If Shame(2011) and The Darjeeling Limited(2007) haven't yet been mentioned this thread is objectively terrible as with everyone in it.

hot coffee

PreviousNext

Return to Care