[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby rjbman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:00 am

Been taking my friend on a cyberpunk binge. Never actually specifically brought up "cyberpunk", but so far we've watched Akira, Blade Runner, and Ghost in the Shell within the past month. All reminding me so much of why I love them. Planning on some Matrix too, but beyond that I don't know.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby fechner » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:38 am

I watched Blue Valentine for the first time last night. Apparently the director originally wanted to shoot the beginning and then wait six years to shoot the latter part of the film which would have been really cool, but I liked it how it turned out anyway. It's an intensely beautiful and heartbreaking movie.

fechner

Postby can- » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:54 pm

blue valentine is on my short list along with a bunch of others-- Wadjda, Rush, 12 years, the 5th estate and runner runner if I get to it.

e: oops I am confusing that with the film 'blue is the warmest color.'

just got back from this piece of work

don't know what to say except that it was long, relentless and fatiguing. i see the hardcore McCarthy fans going for this but I feel like I just got a root canal. the performances are mostly good, the writing is intelligent, production is way up there but I can't really recommend it on the basis that it's enjoyable.

if you thought 'no country for old men' was too lighthearted you'll probably enjoy this

can-

Postby whinefields » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 am

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. It's certainly a divisive film - a couple ahead of me in the theater walked out midway through whereas one of my friends just passed out after the opening - but it's also more humorous and lighthearted than people give it for. "No Country..." was way darker than this.

Think about it - the entire thing reads (watches?) like a farce. For one, the titular character is named the counselor, yet he never gives counsel. In fact, everyone around him gives him advice. Secondly, these quasi/not so intelligent characters give incredibly verbose speeches. Do they even know what they're saying?? Not to mention the fact that this entire picture is mostly talking punctuated with brief moments of incredible action, which is hilarious in its own right since Ridley Scott is known for creating movies of all action punctuated by brief moments of stilted dialogue.

Then there's the fact that Diaz looks like a cheetah, Bardem is crazy, Pitt...well, I won't spoil the ending. In all, I had so much fun. I don't think it's supposed to be serious.

However, I am a huge McCarthy fan, so...

whinefields

Postby rjbman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:38 am

Just saw Ender's Game... personally wasn't a fan but my friends enjoyed it, even the ones who had read the books.

rjbman

Postby purkinje » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 pm

I saw 12 Years a Slave the other day and it is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen. Acting was incredible, directing was incredible, there's really no way to describe it until you see it. Friend and I left in awe.

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby teck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:19 pm

i really want to see it but im a total wuss when it comes to violence and the like on screen. i've seen a few Steve McQueen films and i liked them but i fear he'll find some new horrifying way to present violence to me and i'll be shellshocked for a few days.

teck

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:04 pm

I saw Thor 2. I think for most people however you felt about Thor will be how you feel about Thor 2.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby purkinje » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:35 pm

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby sid3000 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:46 am

Ajami (2009)

saw a screening of this movie in college and really enjoyed it and super stoked I was able to track it down again

sid3000

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I watched 'Upside Down' the other day and it was actually pretty good! It was a kind of old school type of sci-fi tale, and although I'm pretty tired of romances this one was child-like and nice.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby can- » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:11 pm

how can u be tired of romance.

I saw ender and thought it was mostly a pile of crap. looked aight though

can-

Postby maj » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:37 pm

one of the top 10 films i've ever seen.

maj

Postby odradek » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 pm

odradek

Postby Syeknom » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:06 am

Saw some good aeroplane films isn't it:

The World's End
London – The Modern Babylon
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Blue Jasmine
The Way Way Back

Syeknom

Postby bels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:29 am

I rewatched Donnie Darko last night. Still intense. Some fun camera work in that film too.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby RycePooding » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:47 pm

The World's End was kind of funny, way weirder then I was expecting. Way Way Back was maybe my favorite movie I've seen this year. Love those coming of age quirky flicks.

RycePooding

Postby RycePooding » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:02 pm

I never want to go to space.

RycePooding

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I watched "Only God Forgives" last night. Pretty bad as a movie, but also kind of interesting. One critical review of it that I read referred to the characters as 'non-characters', which I think is pretty accurate. It's by the same director as "Drive", but I think just pushed further into that weirdness, with long pauses before people say things and such. Really beautifully shot, though.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby BobbyZamora » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:37 am

Cloud Atlas is really good if you can get over the pretentious aspects and the bad make-up.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:48 am

I watched Only God Forgives and I was really dissapointed. It wasn't really good and the story was kind of bland. Ryan Gosling turned the "silent guy doing what he has to" knob to 11 except, in this movie the character isn't worth shit, which crashed the movie for me.

Constantine is a great movie though, and I hope Keanu gets to make a sequel to it.

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby ramseames » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm

rewatching pulp fiction for the nth time. never gets old

ramseames

Postby jrisk » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I just saw The Book Thief. It was a wonderful adaptation and very touching.

jrisk

Postby hmwut » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:58 pm

excellent black comedy/drama, wasn't bored one second watching this. brutal at times, light-hearted the other. great performances by ewan mcgregor, robert carlyle, and kelly macdonald. cool clothes, too.

quentin tarantino in his usual format, which is a very good thing. seeing robert de niro in a tarantino film made me very happy.

hmwut

Postby can- » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:52 pm

I saw a midnight showing of tommy wiseau' The room last night. it was magical and would strongly urge anyone with the opportunity to take it

can-

Postby rjbman » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:03 pm

Watched the two Kill Bills recently, there's something super satisfying about how much fighting is packed into those movies. Tarantino is just superb.

rjbman

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Watched:

Pacific Rim: Good
After Earth: Crap, although that one bit in it made me want to tear up
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa: Okay, not great

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby szy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:46 am

szy

Postby szy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:26 am

I also kinda wish I've never seen When Harry Met Sally and Love Actually becasuse I'd love to see them for the first time again. Especially during the christmas season.

szy

Postby spahdfgo » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 am

I tried to watch The Family, the beginning was so bad it made me wanna smash my screen

spahdfgo

PreviousNext

Return to Care