[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:00 am

i dunno m8, the conversation i most often have with artists/film makers i work with- i mean the ones i respect and can be bothered listening to- comes back to that question richter always raises, of avoiding mastery. what makes him such a defining presence for me is that he inevitably, in the studio, is a sort of living diagram of beckett's sentence: "you must go, i cant go on' etc.
and this is what all the (good) artists i work with recognise: one has to go on reaching, desiring, creating meanings and connections, while being hyper aware of the need to not fall back on received forms, not just those that come from a canon but even the forms that you might have evolved yourself as a way of working in the past. which leaves you, every time, in a stuttering, stammering, flailing place. and instead of the easy way out- attempts at mastery etc- the challenge is to think relationally, rhythmically, dynamically, to open up spaces of risk and encounter, developing holding patterns around radical uncertainty while reaching and searching for.. ways, assemblages, transcodings, build hybrids which hopefully can send out tentacles across all types of spaces.
for example on the film im doing now, even though we both (me and director, who comes from an art background) love tarkovsky, tarr etc, we are much more likely to end up talking about the camera-work of neveldene & taylor (the guys who made crank). nobody has made a camera move in the way those guys did.. like i say, its a way of reaching, of flailing, possibly failing..
tl;dr- talking about a canon of great works and dismissing stuff outside that with an appeal to some arbitrary notions of 'interest' and higher value might be a bit boring and anti-creative?

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:45 am

I keep buying things from Muji just like Ed Norton kept on buying things from Ikea.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Ques » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:42 am

recently saw "Comrades: Almost a Love Story", which is in my opinion a shitty english translation, but whatever. really incredible and touching film. definitely cried.

also farewell my concubine, which is now my all-time favorite movie. if you haven't yet seen it please for the love of god put down whatever you're doing load up your netflix and watch it right now

Ques

Postby chilljin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 am

saw kingsman last night and really enjoyed it despite being intoxicated

going to watch hateful eight later, but man 3 hours long im pretty daunted at that, the ease of netflix has caused me to develop a fear of sitting in the cinema for a long time

chilljin

Postby rublev » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:33 pm

saw carol last night and loved it although first 15/20 mins spoiled by two people behind me talking at NORMAL LEVEL like they're down the shops "what did she just say" etc, gave them the benefit of the doubt (plus a couple of long stares) before piping up with a polite remind of our location which allowed for a much smoother 100 or so minutes.

cate blanchett's 'i'm on valium i hope no one notices' performance was really good but rooney mara was hands down top of her game (all in the eyes). shot in super 16mm, hypnotic, dream like quality. at first i was a little hmmm and then bam, hit me.

[youtube]?v=H4z7Px68ywk[/youtube]

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Francks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:38 pm

Just noticed there was Youth in cinemas. Remember The great Beauty and it was really great to me. It's the same director.

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby ramseames » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 pm

didn't see this movie (I assume it sucked) but the shots in this of the people doing mocap for the dinosaurs are hilarious

ramseames

Postby rublev » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:06 am

don't think carol is (oscar) nominated for best picture or best director?

rublev
Political Editor

Postby edward » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:43 pm

I know everything about film. I've seen over 240 of them.
edward

Postby oucho » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:17 am

Following a brief discussion with Iliam can anyone confirm, does Satantango have to be watched in one go, or can it be watched episodically?

oucho

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:36 am

/anyone planning to read 'morel', have you seen 'last year at marienbad'? such a great film

edit: trailer here. robbe-grillet said he hadn't read 'morel' when he wrote the screenplay (most likely he found the question stupid/boring) but to me it's an obvious rip off (in the best possible way)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc6n2McMAnY

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:38 am

Karl liked Marienbad too apparently:

http://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spri ... ear/chanel

blur too I guess

(I did think whilst I was watching that it would make a good music video, which in terms of thoughts is about as bad as "this painting would look good in my lounge")

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:06 pm

first paragraph of that article shows what fucking idiots a lot of fashion people are, 'one of the most boring films ever made'. he probably thinks theatre is interesting.

pirxthepilot

Postby Francks » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:21 pm

just saw your comment about Youth. And now I understand the pm better. I've already watched it! (done so when I posted here actually). But let's find something else

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby dbcooper » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:26 am

Last edited by dbcooper on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbcooper

Postby anshin » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:40 pm

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

Postby JewTurk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Tons of Ozu films on hulu plus, bless.

JewTurk

Postby Syeknom » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:40 pm

Helke Sander - Nr. 1 Aus Berichten der Wach und Patrouillendienste

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/33178345[/vimeo]

Syeknom

Postby popcorn » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:37 am

I watched Boyhood (2014). By halfway through the movie (~95 minutes) I was crusted in my own tears and laughing from a genuine place of discomfort. I thought this was the bravest, most life-affirming cinematic triumph I had ever seen. For the other half of the movie, it started to feel weighed down by how little I know about life and how much of a great scramble it is. I should watch this again when I'm not 18.

Basically: I don't think I get Boyhood? Why 100% on metacritic?

popcorn

Postby Syeknom » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 am

Syeknom

Postby dbcooper » Wed May 04, 2016 10:15 am

Last edited by dbcooper on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbcooper

Postby JtotheWhat » Fri May 06, 2016 2:14 am

Recently had the pleasure of watching a few films I really enjoyed, a couple of which I had been meaning to see for some time..

Wild Tales (Argentina, 2014)

I had been wanting to see this for a while, and I'm assuming many/most of you have as it was nominated for an Academy Award in 2014, but this might be one of the best movies I've seen in the last couple of years. A dark comedy with a series of somewhat tragic, but ridiculous and hilarious short stories. Very well shot and easy to watch.. Re-watched it within a couple days which I never do and recommended it to everyone around me. Very enjoyable film.

The Brand New Testament ( Belgium/France, 2015)

Very funny concept and it was written & executed better than I expected. Very enjoyable movie that I can't recommend enough.

History's Future (Netherlands, 2016)

Very different in tone than the previous two films, but very enjoyable nonetheless. I find it hard to describe this movie, and honestly think I need to watch it again. There were some creative choices made in the editing that bothered me, but overall I really enjoyed the film and though it was filmed beautifully. I couldn't stop thinking about it for the rest of the day after I watched it which for me personally is normally the sign of a good film.

JtotheWhat

Postby ramseames » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:28 pm

who thought this was a good idea

ramseames

Postby oucho » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 am

I watched Lucifer on mubi a few months ago and now I am really interested in Gust van den Berghe

It basically seems to be impossible to watch Lucifer or any of his other films anywhere as they only seem to be occasionally showing pretty rarely and outside of England. I guess it may show up on mubi again but I doubt it? I feel like mubi is really good, I have watched a lot of great films on it

oucho

Postby plaidappendix » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Two movies I watched recently were Synecdoche, New York and The Seventh Seal. I enjoyed both of them for the most part. Synecdoche was cool, at times I felt the symbolism was heavy handed, but I know there was also stuff I missed, definitely need to see it again. The Seventh Seal was the first Bergman movie I've seen, also pretty good. I definitely had a harder time with this one though probably due to it being a different language and relatively old.

plaidappendix

Postby YoungCanoeist » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 pm

Yoo I saw Weiner this weekend and it was fantastic. It was a great story and it humanized Anthony Weiner in a way that has not been done in media coverage of him. I connected with him a lot. It was also hilarious.

YoungCanoeist

Postby rublev » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:02 pm

rublev review roundup

9/10

this was really, really good. bit rough round the edges in places but all is forgiven. it plays out the fictitious childhood of a to-be fascist leader, the story separated into different tantrums. set at the end of WW1 in farmyard france in the winter, it looks A+ grim. what really make it is the soundtrack from scott walker. it's like shostakovich's 8th on steroids.

6.5/10

i feel like i would have liked this more a few years ago when i was less jaded and angry. generally about gentrification of brooklyn but it has to about a failed actor and a doctor....sigh. the best parts are between the two kids, moving in and around the city, biking, on public transport etc, in a french new wave sort of way. also.... more great music.

6/10

this was okay. isabelle huppert is normally pretty watchable. if you can believe it, a major part revolves around an argument over whether they should print a new addition of a textbook on the frankfurt school and what colour the front cover should be. there's a joke about horkheimer. overall it felt a little dated.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby oucho » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:26 pm

so who has mubi? can we make a mubi hive mind to tell us which mubi films to watch

I'll start: we won't grow old together is really good, I watched almost all of Maurice Pialat's films in July last year and as a result can't clearly distinguish between them but I feel like this was a good one and they are all worth watching anyway. I would definitely be curious to hear what people think about sous le soleil de satan and van gogh which are coming up soon on mubi, I liked van gogh but people keep telling me it's terrible?

oucho

Postby oucho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:21 am

I also really enjoyed the human surge which has one day left

oucho

Postby 106-2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:12 pm

I recently(ish) saw "A Ghost Story", David Lowery's most recent film, and felt some things about it.

A persistent issue I seem to have whilst watching more "Arthouse", or just less mainstream cinema is this constant sense of scepticism at the more unconventional elements of the filmmaking - it's as though I have to internally justify the merits of a film and convince myself on one level that a film isn't just pretentious shit. In "A Ghost Story" this mainly came from:
1. the use of an unusual aspect ratio (1.33:1)
2.very sparse, editing, with extremely long, lingering shots, used to heighten their emotional impact and develop (mostly) very believable characters.
Both of these decision really, measurably improved my appreciation of the film however even 2 or 3 weeks after having watched the film I have this doubting feeling that I forced myself to like it more than I "really" did.

Does anyone else encounter this? I find it massively frustrating because it always feels like it lessens my enjoyment of films that I, on one level, genuinely enjoyed, however I guess it probably also leads me to better clarify exactly why I haven't enjoyed films that I broadly felt were o k a y.

this turned a bit rambling but basically (I think) I really enjoyed "A Ghost Story"; both Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck ( :-| I know) put in really subtle, convincing performances and the cinematography is GORGEOUS - and this isn't even mentioning how interesting and original some of the themes explored are, would highly recommend as a film that you'll still be digesting/thinking about weeks after watching it

edit: I totally get what you're saying with 2001 - again the cinematography, mise en scene, editing etc. is stunning but a lot of it's "deeper meaning" seems pretty wooly to me so I feel a bit lukewarm to it on the whole

106-2

PreviousNext

Return to Care