[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby Ques » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:01 am

watched a lot of movies over the past month. i think million dollar baby was the best of the lot, made me more depressed than any movie before or since, which is honestly why i go to the movies. also how is clint eastwood that attractive at 73? making me question a lot of things. 12 years a slave was incredible, too, really painful to watch. what a horrific story. for some reason it reminded me a lot of anne frank. the hurt locker was also really good, i loved jeremy renner's haircut. also sanborn was in million dollar baby, and playing a completely different type of character, so that's always fun to see. i loved that kathryn bygalow (or however you spell) was so restrained with the fireworks and the cha-boom and instead focused on the characters and their relationships. not a war film at all really! i also saw birdman but didn't really get why everyone thought it was so good. it was painful to watch, but not in the way that i like. just uncomfortable and awkward. i should probably rewatch it, i was konked out on ambien on a transpacific flight at the time, so ya know. i also saw the duchess with kieryagh knightleygh, which was another instance of seeing an actor i've seen before in an entirely different role, but this time with voldemort! another painfully true story, i need to get the biography and read about the duchess for myself. what an incredible woman. the film was good too, costuming out of this world. last but not least was argo, which made me kind of warm inside thinking about how great our state department is. what incredible servants of our government. where do they film all of these movies about iran/iraq (thinking of hurt locker here as well) during such times of turmoil?

Ques

Postby Thomnd » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Just watched Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa. Seemed like it addressed the some of the same themes as Synechdoche New York and Being John Malkovich, but in a much more simple story. Would recommend purely for puppet sex.

Thomnd

Postby parastexis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:03 am

i don't watch many scary movies but halloween came and went and i saw a few so i will rate them on scariness here now:

don't look now (1973)
premise: the child of an english couple drowns. they go to venice to celebrate
scariness: if andrei tarkovsky made a horror movie but half way through decided genre films were terribly plebeian, this would approximately be that movie.

insidious (2011)
premise: there's a kid in a coma. and the parents can't get rid of some jehovah's witnesses? it turns out the astral plane has crown molding
scariness: worth looking up the plot on wikipedia while watching as my friends did/11

poltergeist (1982)
premise: basically the same thing as insidious
scariness: it was on ABC family/11

carrie (1976)
premise: standard coming of age story except nobody comes of age because everybody dies
scariness: would still take sissy spacek to the prom/11

eyes without a face (1960)
premise: people speaking mainly in french
scariness: i wish i had a face without eyes

parastexis

Postby JtotheWhat » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 am

for anyone who is down with Korean film, The Royal Tailor is an interesting, enjoyable, and at times funny movie about an emerging "fashion designer" in Joseon era Korea, where everyone basically dressed the same. The protagonist draws the ire of the longstanding tailor for the Korean royal family and that is where the bulk of the tension in the story is. The movie is pretty light and obviously not based on any sort of real history, even the King is fictional.. But I did quite enjoy it and believe many on this forum would as well if only for the subject matter. There are some cheesy parts early on but it gets quite good. An English subbed version is up on Vimeo.

JtotheWhat

Postby Noah » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:49 pm

Last edited by Noah on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah

Postby Iliam » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:48 am

Iliam

Postby bels » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:10 pm

I suspect you wouldn't be able to get away with painting yourself blue and calling yourself a "paki from outer space" anymore

bels
Yung Winona

Postby spahdfgo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:02 am

They added Dior and I on Netflix US which is about Raf's first collection. Nothing groundbreaking about the making of a collection but it does shed some light on Raf which is cool.

spahdfgo

Postby JewTurk » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Goodnight Mommy was fucking terrifying.

JewTurk

Postby jrisk » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:29 pm

I saw Spotlight last night. This is one of those movies I'm going to recommend to everyone I know. It's about the Boston Globe journalism team that uncovered the scandal and coverup of the child molestation by priests in the catholic church in Boston. Such a scary and frightening story but it has some incredibly honest storytelling and super real human emotion. Absolutely captivating.

jrisk

Postby can- » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:36 am

new james bond is a hundred hours long (at least) and not very good

can-

Postby weqe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:03 pm

blade runner is so good I've watched it like five times probably

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby Cowboy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi

I did not like the new Star Wars movie

Someone who did, please explain why you enjoyed it?

Thank you

Cowboy

Postby maj » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 pm

new star wars was gr8

ur mad

want 2 see it like 9 more times

spoilers!!!!!!!!

maj

Postby meatjacket » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:55 am

everytime a major character appeared, the entire audience clapped for like a minute straight

just us classic americans clapping for a moving picture

meatjacket

Postby jrisk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:12 am

re: Rey being "too powerful"

jrisk

Postby jrisk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:29 am

jrisk

Postby anshin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 am

just saw CAROL. it was excellent. highly reccomend! :woop:

here are all the films i've seen this year ranked. i didn't see many new releases this year, so i might be missing some good ones. also a lot of the 2015 films i want to see haven't been released yet where i live, (mountains may depart, cemetery of splendour, etc.) or might not be released at all (88:88).

1. Carol
2. Right Now, Wrong Then
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Kumiko, The Treasure Hunter
5. Magic Mike XXL (underrated)
6. Tangerine
7. The Assassin (gorgeous, but the narrative was too oblique for me. definitely worth a rewatch)
8. Me & Earl & and the dying girl
9. Jupiter Ascending

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:42 pm

**Tu Dors Nicole**

Saw this pop up on netflix, pretty slow paced movie, good watch for a lazy afternoon I figure.

Also got myself thinkin' about **Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl** after having a Brian Eno track pop up on shuffle and I instantly remembered how emotional that movie made me. Hard hitter, definitely one of my top films for 2015. 2015 was a good year for film.

ALSO!

Seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey tomorrow in 70mm with my dad, should be fun. Never seen a movie on film before.

JewTurk

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby popcorn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:18 pm

hey guys, can you recommend me some films and other media that will make me think and feel?

I realized I hadn't given any credence to film in my life, so I watched 'Synecdoche, New York' and Fight Club last night. Synecdoche was incredible (and actually quite fun at some points) in my opinion, and I enjoyed Fight Club even though half the shock of the film was removed by me having been raised in a culture permanently changed by it.

I'm not looking for anything in particular. Webcomics, contemporary art, and Mongolian throat singing are all welcome, whatever you'd recommend. (smiling)

popcorn

Postby dbcooper » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm

Last edited by dbcooper on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbcooper

Postby rjbman » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Also, In Bruges

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby bels » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Also calvary

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm

oucho

Postby vgtbls » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:43 am

Maybe the best Thinking Feeling movie I can recall seeing was Waltz With Bashir. I do have family ties to Israel though so it may change on that pretense.

vgtbls

Postby parastexis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:09 am

some films i love right now that you might too:

Paris, Texas (duh)
Trust
Deep End
Exterminating Angel
Days of Being Wild
Symbiopsychotaxiplasm
Short Cuts
Marketa Lazarova