[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Films

Films

Off topic

Re: Films

Postby hooplah » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:18 pm

okay RE: what i said about amy adams

i watched "her" last night. it was really really great, and amy adams was actually one of my favorite parts. her performance was really great and genuine, also i really dug her style. the clothes in the movie are really cool. joaquin pheonix was great of course. the whole movie was really beautifully done. i especially loved how parts were shot in asia to give LA a slightly, barely noticeable "globalized future" feel. totally enjoyed the film

also watched secret life of walter mitty and surprisingly i really loved it. there were definitely far-fetched parts of the plot, but overall i thought it was a great movie and i cried at the end. very touching and visually gorgeous. ben stiller is always great.

hooplah

Postby sauce » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm

saw her and 12 years a slave recently. her was astonishingly beautiful, definitely my favorite movie this year. and 12 years was super powerful but I feel like I couldn't really connect to it because it happened so long ago.

I was thinking earlier about how 12 years is a really important movie since it does a fantastic job reminding us of how far we've come (in terms of human rights) in the past few centuries, but didn't really beckon any questions I don't know the answer to. I guess it teaches that we shouldn't forget that every human life holds the same incredible amount of worth, but I've already discovered that so I feel like it didn't really empower me to discover anything new. her, on the other hand, beckoned really unique and novel questions, for example 'what constitutes love' and 'can programs have emotions' and then similarly 'what makes us human'? and there's also the question of the film's prediction for the future- with all this improving technology, would human contact continue to diminish, will humans begin to communicate more often with AI than with each other? and also the possible metaphor of human's love for the technology, relating the main character's love with the OS to my love for communities on the internet, which forces me to explore whether that love is even a healthy obsession (this metaphor was noted by another user first too I think). so then relating the two movies makes me think, what's more important? exploring novel questions that we don't really have the answer for, or exploring the mistakes we made in the past and the questions we've answered in reflection?

sauce

Postby rublev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm

I feel like i'm the only one that thought that Her film looked like the dumbest thing....? I cringed all the way through the trailer and it made me do that kinda recoil in disgust face while rolling my eyes... maybe i've just got a cold heart.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby hooplah » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 pm

there are definitely parts that are blatantly awkward or a little beat-you-over-the-head, but overall the film handles it very well. it directly addresses the awkward, uncharted-territory feel of the relationship between theodore and the OS. it also does a great job of telling what is essentially a science fiction story in a completely un-science-fiction-y way. the "futuristic" elements of the movie are done so well and so subtly that you might mutter "oh that's cool" under your breath but you never marvel to the point of distraction. it's not blade runner, it's more like a romance story in the near-future that just happens to involve a computer.

hooplah

Postby germinal » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:03 am

so far in 2014:

frances ha this was a while ago but i remember being left with a deep deep sadness upon finishing it

12 years a slave i think enough has been written about this already

shame enjoyable but so difficult to care about any of the characters. or the subject matter. i guess that's the point. some beautiful scenes but the plot stringing it together felt lightweight (could apply this criticism to all three mcqueen films but here - perhaps because it wasn't based on real events - was where it felt flimsiest)

inglourious basterds i'm not a huge quarantino fan tbh so i'd not bothered with this but it was entertaining. some weird half-arsed devices though e.g. samuel l jackson's voiceover. like why bother?

hunger probably my favourite of the three mcqueen films, but we'll see how they all stand up to repeat viewing. a period of history of which i'm grossly ignorant. the conversation with the priest was the most gripping thing he's done imo

la naissance des pieuvres really lovely. even if the themes have been done to death the suburban synchronised swimming backdrop lent novelty and depth (har har). love the complete absence of adult presence in the film like what's up with that

populaire straightforward rom com but pleasant enough

jeune et jolie i literally just finished this so still digesting. interesting comparing this with shame. rich people having meaningless sex. this plays out much more rigidly but at the same time it feels like the film couldn't decide what mood to settle on whereas shame had a definite tone. liked the prostitution/therapy/babysitting comparisons.

germinal
Garminlad

Postby odradek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 pm

good, some really strong scenes but sort of petered out at the end.

everything i hoped for and more.

odradek

Postby spicedreams » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:22 pm

I saw La grande bellezza or The Great Beauty recently and thought it was beautiful. Cinematography was on point and each shot looked amazing. I know it's supposed to be an homage to Italian cinema which I'm not too familiar with outside of 8 1/2 but I really enjoyed it.

Also saw Gravity recently and not really a big fan of Sandra Bullock but damn, Alfonso Cuaron and those long shots always get me. Atmosphere in the movie was great throughout especially with the excellent score.

spicedreams

Postby rublev » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:04 pm

The Great Beauty was excellent.

That Jeune et Jolie looked so vapid. Like a tumblr version of Belle de Jour.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Mippipopolous » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:09 am

I finally got around to seeing Her last night. I knew I would very likely enjoy the movie going in to it, but man, I don't know if I anticipated being so blown away by it. It was just so good. I'm having trouble really articulating my thoughts on it right now, too fresh, not enough time to sink in. Has anyone discussed the fashion of it much here? It was really interesting I felt. The high-waisted pants seems like something that'd look odd and distracting, but it worked so well and looked oddly good. Loved Theodore's one look with the cardigan worn open with his high waisted pants, looked pretty damn cool.

Mippipopolous

Postby jrisk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 pm

I really liked Her. I was really interested in Samantha's development. She's like this super intelligent being but also sort of naive, super curious and honest to a fault. It's was sort of hard to wrap my head around someone having a relationship with an AI but it easy to sort suspend belief because her emotions seemed so real. ScarJo was really great. and well, Joaquin Phoenix was great too. His mannerisms and his way of talking worked really for his character. He was very expressive in this sort of insecure and unsure way (that was very relatable to me) but still likeable and humorous at times. mippi, if you haven't you should really listen to . so good.

jrisk

Postby hooplah » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:55 pm

i watched the wolf of wall street and i loved it. it was fucking crazy. leonardo dicaprio was amazing, holy shit. i laughed out loud a bunch of times and then other times my eyes just got super wide and i whispered "what the fuck"

thinking about buying this poster

found it on ebay but i'm not sure the print is high quality, seems like they took the image off the internet and are printing it at home :(

hooplah

Postby sid3000 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:14 pm

@hooplah it's the dutch promo poster

sid3000

Postby djongus » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 am

djongus

Postby Suquida » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:56 am

Suquida

Postby bels » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:04 am

I saw August:Osage County the other week. I think it was really clear that it was based on a play. The dialogue had this sort of overwrought performative air to it which I didn't think translated over that well into a film. Some cool cinematography and sound design and the acting was generally good. Plot wise it was a bit overstuffed with heartache and disaster. If you're expecting anything even approaching a happy ending you're going to be disappointed.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CleanThug » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 am

Just watched Pulp Fiction for the first time.

Before you become floored, it came out like 5 years before I was born. I haven't seen a lot of classics for that reason.

But damn, that was great. Easily lived up the hype, easily top 10 in movies.

Guess I better cross that off the list.

CleanThug

Postby Stingray Sam » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:08 am

Really great and sad story of a flemish boy growing up with an incredibly dysfunctional family and alcoholic dad, one of my favorites

Stingray Sam

Postby brlmski » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm in a film class and we watched zardoz recently. you should all check it out if you like trippy 70s era sci-fi

brlmski

Postby charybdis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:32 pm

Watched Closed Circuit with my best friend on our hot valentines day date.

The cinematography was lovely, even if bits of the actual film were clunky. It was a very pretty film. Eric Bana is a babe.

That said, I don't think I could take a British courtroom drama seriously ever. The wigs are too much.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby Syeknom » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Just saw Metropolis. Wonderfully dramatic, visually stunning and utterly captivating film.

Strong flintstone in here too. Main character wears an oversized white silk shirt (with stunningly long point collars), white silk jodphurs tucked into knee-high ribbed socks. Tie tucked into belt.

His father has a beautiful tweed blazer with unbelievable lapel roll, but more interestingly fully-cut waist-high pleated trousers that are cropped really very short.

Also of note are the worker's overalls - full trousers rolled up high.

And the inventor's floor length open overalls held together by a belt

Syeknom

Postby bueno » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Watched 'Into The Wild yesterday' (haven't read the book so no expectations) and really enjoyed it. Thought the soundtrack fitted perfectly. Makes me want to do the same kind of thing (although to a significantly lesser extreme) and just go off somewhere with a backpack and see what happens.

bueno

Postby Mippipopolous » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:03 pm

I loved Into the Wild, Emile Hirsch is great in it, but it had the opposite effect on me. I've always loved nature and being able to experience it, spending a day out in nature is such a wonderful way to clear your head and gain perspective, but that movie made me really value my relationships and human contact more. It didn't make me wanna leave it all behind, just made me appreciate what I do have in terms of people I care about where I am and really long for more of that, made me really want to experience personal closeness with someone, something I've just felt lacking in at times lately. "Happiness only real when shared" :/

It's been a long time since I've seen it though, should definitely watch it again and see if I'm misremembering anything or feel differently. Great and thought provoking movie either way.

Mippipopolous

Postby bueno » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:34 pm

Definitely see what you mean and do agree. Wouldn't want to completely isolate myself like he did (definitely appreciate the happiness only real when shared quote). I suppose the real thing that inspired me was just the adventure. I'm sure i'm romanticising it in my head but I would definitely like to go backpacking like that one day.

bueno

Postby CleanThug » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Just finished Memento

Pretty good. Great use of alternating black/white & color sequences.

It's kind of a tradition for me to check the wikipedia page after watching movies in the "mind fuck" genre so I don't think I'll be watching this again.

Overall I'm glad I saw it, definitely check it out if you haven't already. (it's on Netflix!)

Last edited by Syeknom on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image size
CleanThug

Postby freddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 am

Maybe it's because I didn't smoke up but I didn't really get the movie Her; or maybe it relates too much to my life that I was too self-conscious lol

edit: also I was too occupied nit-picking (and idealizing) if the main character was wearing a gbv shirt or a modified mandarin-esque collar BoO shirt or maybe some variant of a steven alan united bamboo shirt idk, though i'm pretty sure he was wearing an oversized BoO shirt in the end for sleepwear because of the center-aligned box pleat and dual symmetrical darts. I think i was more amazed at the costume design aspects of everything and how digital cinematography has rly upgraded over time; shits crystal clear and it wasn't even imax-level

also the guy or product placement; he had a the body shop tea tree facial mask product on his desk; i know so because i used it before (we should do a skincare thread?)

freddy

Postby pips » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for the nth time again. It's one of my favorites and I think it's very befitting for Valentines. I always watch this when I feel like my current relationship is turning for the worst and last night was no exception. It's a good reminder why we keep on trying to make things work. This movie is one of the few movies about love that I like because I think it depicts relationships realistically, like the times when we realize we have the ability to say the most loving and hurtful things to our significant others in the same breath or how the things we love about them initially are the same ones that turn us against them. Sometimes I'm Joel, others I'm Clementine and every single time I watch this movie I cry like it's the first instance I'm seeing it.

Oddly enough my boyfriend hates the shit out of this movie. Too contrived, he said.

pips

Postby balloons » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:49 am

saw That Awkward Moment bc I think Miles Teller is hilarious but wow was that a terrible, terrible movie

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby jrisk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:44 am

Saw the LEGO Movie and I had a cheesy smile on my face the entire time.

jrisk

Postby chilljin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:12 pm

i watched face off when high and it remains the best film ever

chilljin

Postby can- » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:12 pm

has anyone seen Visitors

can-

PreviousNext

Return to Care