[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - What the flip am I cooking for dinner?

What the flip am I cooking for dinner?

Off topic

What the flip am I cooking for dinner?

Postby iamacyborg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:12 am

Share all good recipes here.

iamacyborg

Re: What the fuck am I cooking for dinner?

Postby iamacyborg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 am

Fully-loaded Spring Samosas
Makes 16

Ingredients:
8 round rice paper wrappers (for spring rolls) 8.5” / 22cm
You can also use 16 wrappers and double them up for extra strength

Filling
knob of ghee or coconut oil
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger
¾ tsp. sea salt
½ cup unsalted unroasted cashews
¼ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
3 medium carrots
1 ½ / 250g cup green peas
1 cup chickpeas
2 cups / 75g firmly packed fresh baby spinach

Spices
1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
½ Tbsp. mustard seeds
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. coriander
¼ tsp. cardamom
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
cayenne (to taste)

iamacyborg

Postby bels » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:20 am

Should probably share them in the saturday kitchen thread.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby iamacyborg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:27 am

I thought that was just for pics of food that you want to eat, or are eating, rather than recipes. Happy to post wherever though.

iamacyborg

Postby prawnzee » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41 am

Avocado Pasta

For 3-4 people (or like 1-2 hungry people):

1 garlic clove
½ chili (remove the seeds)
1 lime
2 ripe avocados
salt
black pepper
dollop of olive oil
handful of basil (parsley and coriander might work too)
30 g (1 dl) grated pecorino
30 g (1 dl) grated parmesan
400-500 g of spaghetti

You can prepare the sauce straight into a serving bowl. Chop the garlic to fine little pieces, chop the chili and put the bits in the bowl. Squeeze the lime juice in there. Cut the avocados in half and remove the stones. Dice the avocados in their peel and carve the insides with a spoon into the bowl. Grind the herbs and grate the cheeses. Add salt, pepper, olive oil, grinded herbs, grated pecorino and parmesan.
Mix the stuff with a spoon, have a taste. The sauce should have enough salt, otherwise the end results will be bland.
Cook the spaghetti al dente: about 80% of the cooking time mentioned in the package should be enough. Cook the spaghetti in a well salted water: it should taste like seawater. Save about 1 dl of the cooking water in a cup or something. Drain the water from the spaghetti.
Pour the salted water you saved to the bowl, add the spaghetti and stir. Grate some parmesan and grind some black pepper on top. Serve immediately.

my photography skills and camera suck, but trust me this is really good, and simple too

prawnzee

Postby deadkitty » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 am

deadkitty

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 am

The perfect tabbouleh

(Serves 4)

15g medium bulgar wheat (optional)
30g fine bulgar wheat
400g ripe tomatoes
6 spring onions
2 lemons, juice only
½tsp ground black pepper
½tsp ground allspice
½tsp ground cinnamon
½tsp ground coriander
¼tsp ground nutmeg
¼tsp ground cloves
¼tsp ground ginger
175g flat-leaf parsley
45g mint
80ml olive oil
2tbsp pomegranate arils (optional)

Preheat the oven to 140C/gas mark 1 if using the medium bulgar wheat. Rinse the fine bulgar wheat in cold water until the water runs clear, then drain well in a sieve and put in a bowl. Fluff up with a fork.

Rinse the medium bulgar, if using, in boiling water, drain well, spread out on a baking tray and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Fluff up with a fork when done.

Meanwhile, finely chop the tomatoes and finely slice the spring onions and add both, plus juices, to the wheat. Add the juice of 1½ lemons. Mix the spices together well, and add 1tsp to the bowl.

Douse the herbs in cold water, chop most of the stalks off the parsley, and then take a small bunch, gather together on the board and slice it as finely as you can. Repeat with the rest. Pick the leaves from the mint and do the same, being as gentle as possible.

Add the herbs to the bowl along with the oil, season and toss well. Taste and add more salt, lemon juice or spice mix to taste. Scatter with the pomegranate and toasted bulgar, if using, just before serving.

iamacyborg

Postby wiggly--woo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:03 pm

never one to have anything remotely fancy, i've been making my own baked beans on toast quite a lot recently. it's a student staple over here but i don't like the canned heinz stuff that everyone else eats. i make it pretty spicy but i guess less chili would correct that, and its adapted (i.e. pretty much the same) as a gordon ramsay recipe. if you're desperate for food and lack culinary skills/patience i would highly recommend. recipe below copied and pasted straight from word document i made ages ago, but i added a pinch of advice. would recommend to anyone who gets bored of standard baked beans.

serves 1 normal human
heat a pan, put some olive oil in it blah blah blah
add ~80g diced pancetta and get it all sizzling and stuff
slice up a chilli and add half of it to the pan
add half a tablespoon of minced garlic
stir it all round and shizz, wait a minute or so for the pancetta to start getting crispy
add a quarter of a diced red onion (red onions are actually purple and that annoys me)
wait a minute or so for the onion to cook down a bit, should go softer
add quarter of a tablespoon of brown sugar, a tablespoon of cider vinegar, half a tablespoon of worcester sauce
get that all stirred around and shit and then add tomato passata, judge it by eye, better to do too little than too much cos you can just add more in a minute
then add ~200g canned haricot beans (drained), stir everything round, make sure there's a good bean to passata ratio so it looks similar(ish) to canned baked beans
let it simmer for like 5 mins
serve on toast, butter optional, enjoy the tasty beany goodness

fancy a bevvy with it? try k cider or frosty jacks for that refreshing taste

wiggly--woo

Postby lostie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 pm

is this the right thread to be posting in idk

lostie

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

I can only imagine that that will be absolutely dire.

Everyone's really doing a big cash-grab and putting out a lot of bullshit products to make as much money out of GoT's popularity while they still can :(

iamacyborg

Postby hooplah » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 pm

i've actually heard that the game of thrones cookbook is fantastic

i shall now share my famous mango avocado dip recipe, which is actually from my mom, which is actually from her friend

three large mangos (cubed into small pieces)
5 avocados
1/4 to 1/2 of a sweet red onion (depending on how much you like onion)
1/4 to 1/2 of a sweet yellow onion (" ")
salt
a shit fuck of cilantro

edit: yeah guys, be warned. this makes a pretty huge amount of dip. two people can finish the bowl as a meal though... not that i've done that... a bunch of times....

hooplah

Postby g2x222 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:59 pm

g2x222

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:23 pm

That's what inspired the thread title.

iamacyborg

Postby YoungCanoeist » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 pm

i made a good salad the other day, all organic. v tasty.

some spring mix
3 petioles of raw kale
couple scoops chickpeas
3 strawberries
a cucumber
half a head of cauliflower

YoungCanoeist

Postby iffe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm

5-10 minutes, plus two hours in the freezer. Very easy to make.

You'll need:

- cold smoked salmon or gravlax
- saran wrap
- cream cheese (I used chives flavour)
- your herb of choice, I used rucola

Step 1:

Lay the saran wrap on your cutting board/table/whatever. You'll want a square, the size depends on how much salmon you have. I'd say 8"x8" or so for half a pound of salmon. Make a layer of salmon so that the pieces overlap a bit. Then spread the cream cheese on top of the layer of salmon. Cut the rucola to small bits and spread it on top of the cream cheese.

Step 2:

Time to roll it up! Make a tight roll and wrap the saran wrap around it.

Step 3:

Put the roll into the freezer for 90-120 minutes. Then take it out and cut to slices. Don't try to make 'them too thin, you'll have a bad time. An inch or wider works well for me. I found cutting before removing the wrap easier than removing it before cutting.

Step 4:

Let them warm up a bit. Enjoy.

iffe

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 pm

iamacyborg

Postby sunblam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:27 pm

I have a cooking blog! Which I don't really update anymore! But anyways, if you want baked goods, I posted the recipes I liked:

http://cooking-class.tumblr.com/

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Re: What the flip am I cooking for dinner?

Postby Stingray Sam » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Pretty good salmon dip

1. take 2x sticks of softened cream cheese (or however much cream cheese you want i don't care) and put it into an oven safe dish

2. put a couple scoops of mayo in there, there should be more cream cheese than mayo

3. put some smoked salmon in there (to taste) you'll probably need to put more in than you expect to achieve that smoked salmon flavor throughout

4. put a couple scoops of dill in there (with a table spoon or something like that you don't want too much)

5. some chives too

6. pepper

7. parmesan cheese (grated)

8. mix it all together until there is a consistent distribution of ingredients then put some more cheese on the top

9. Put it in the oven at like 350F or something idk

10. cook it until the edges start to bubble, that's about 25 minutes

11. put a baguette with olive oil drizzled over it in the oven and bake until crispy or however you like it

12. take out the dip

13. take out the baguette

14. slice the baguette

15. wait for the dip to cool

16. spread the dip on a slice of bread

17. enjoy

Stingray Sam

Postby TR33HGR » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:22 pm

http://distilleryimage1.ak.instagram.co ... c4f5_8.jpg

made some Tonkotsu Ramen today. Tried to be clever and mess with the recipe (not to be advise) through timing issues. Much to my despair, after 24 hours of making the stock, it was pretty poor :(. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't worth finishing... looks good though (smiling) and the Nitamago eggs are a true revelation

Recipe: http://www.souschef.co.uk/bureau-of-tas ... tsu-ramen/

advice if you decided to make: it may seem like the stock is rather watery (its not), and, you dont have as much stock as you think, but when you try to amend the fact, you dont need that much [These are based on my relative novice mistakes so you may not encounter]

TR33HGR

Postby iamacyborg » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:19 pm

iamacyborg

Postby Stingray Sam » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:46 pm

i really wanted eggs and i really wanted japanese food so i combined the two.

2 eggs

mirin rice wine

a bit of red pepper

chinese ginger

soy sauce

sesame oil

i'm not sure how it will taste

edit: not bad needs more soy sauce

Stingray Sam

Postby deadkitty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:17 pm

ok so I made some seriously good chips last night so I'll share my process:

1. peel the sides of some potatoes (not the tops). I like to use agria potatoes the best, but yukon gold or similar will work too. it's important that the potatoes are pretty big so you can make some nice long chips and not little nuggets.

2. cut them up into chips

3. soak them in cold water for at least 30 min but no more than 24 hours. this removes the excess starch from the chips

4. put all your chips in a big pot and cover with cold water. bring this to a boil then turn down to a rolling simmer. set a timer for 5 min and then every 3 minutes until done.

5. cool all your chips on a rack so that all the moisture has evaporated from the surface and the chips are a bit crumbly

6. fry for 7-9 minutes at 160º in oil (if you don't have a deep fry thermometer this is about medium-medium high on your stovetop). I like to use canola oil because it's cheap and doesn't have as much flavour as peanut or sunflower

7. repeat the cooling process (you can freeze them at this point if you want, just make sure there's no moisture)

8. fry the chips at 180º (high on your stovetop) until done. season with salt to taste

deadkitty

Postby can- » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:28 pm

btw hes talkign about french fries

can-

Postby deadkitty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 pm

chips are fries but thicker

deadkitty

Postby bels » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:27 am

How long do you boild them for?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am

what do you deep fry them in?

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby bels » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:54 pm

You put oil in a pan then you put them in the hot oil I'm assuming?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby alby » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:18 pm

anyone have some super secret delicious pico recipe I should try out before just resorting to the google?

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby JewTurk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:53 am

My beef jerky stuff.

Need:
x amount of flank steak (I usually get a bit more than 3 lbs.)
Soy Sauce
Assorted Spices

I use lemmon pepper, accent and smoked salt.

Cut up your beef in thin slices going with the grain, the thinner the slices the quicker you'll finish cooking, I do about 1 cm thick slices

Put the slices in a thing to marinate later.

Spice your meat up, make sure you get all the slices.

Soak them in soy sauce and let marinate for probably at least 3-4 hours, I usually leave them over night.

Cook in the oven around 150 F for 10-12 hours, you can do less and you don't get the super-dry beef jerky but if you do that I'd suggest refrigerating them to be safe.

Enjoy.

Alternatively you can put them on a rack so the drippings don't get stuck on the meat but I like them that way so to each their own.

JewTurk

Re: Best of WAYWT

Postby Ques » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 pm

avocado salad is leftover from when my great-aunt from israel was here, asked her to make a double batch, don't know the recipe, sorry :(

ian's garlic chicken -- best thing i have ever tasted in my entire life, my dad's recipe:

cornbread:

ukrainian cake:

Ques

Next

Return to Care