[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby can- » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:52 am

amaz

is that a picture of a Nobbig? hahahahahahah

can-

Postby can- » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:53 am

can-

Postby ramseames » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 am

ramseames

Postby Syeknom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:31 am

It's Thalang Road in Phuket Town - wouldn't surprise me if you were on there if you're staying in that town, everything traveller is packed around that area. Was an amazing street market there on Sunday - too much cool food and entertainment.

Syeknom

Postby ramseames » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:42 am

yeah im on talang, or thalang. seems like there's no consistent spelling for anything here when you translate it.

sweet, i'll stick around town this sunday then

ramseames

Postby Syeknom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:54 am

Gotta say I found Phuket kinda dull - not really worth more than a night or two. If you can afford it I'd highly recommend hopping out to somewhere like Ko Ya Noi (1 hour by longtail) and staying there for a bit - so much nicer.

Syeknom

Postby wiggly--woo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:28 pm

anybody here ever been to Valletta or anywhere else in Malta? I'll be there for a week, just wondering if there's anything specific to see/do that people would recommend?

wiggly--woo

Postby wiggly--woo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 pm

took some photos in malta. quite a wierd place, feels a bit like 1970s/80s britain but in the mediterennean. locals were very passionate about the island's history.

Valletta coastline

St. Julian's coastline

In-land pics from Valletta

hotel room with(out) a view

wiggly--woo

Postby Renalan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:37 pm

MY BAD

planning on going on a short and long trip this year with a +1

trip 1 (short): seattle (never been, need recs) or nyc

trip 2 (long): 80% chance i'm going to the UK, all around - i know next to nothing about the UK, so suggestions/recs inside and outside of London to fill a 10ish day trip are welcome

Renalan

Postby Renalan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 pm

no car, need night life recs, shopping, general touristy stuff, a good way to kill 3 nights / 2 days

Renalan

Postby rjbman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:27 pm

yo you guys that's an excellent example of when NOT to use rep comments.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby frogosaurus » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Super excited because I found out I'm doing a study abroad program at Oxford for six weeks this summer, and taking a creative writing course focusing on Americans in Europe. Cannot wait.

frogosaurus

Postby rublev » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 am

I'm gonna be in London for about 8 hours...??? I've not been to London since i was a kid (apart from passing through from train station to train station / airport) so i really know very little.

I'm gonna catch the matisse thing at the tate but apart from that i'm not sure what to do. @ London people, give me suggestion that are easy to get to for a london knowledge novice etc..., like things i should defo see / walk about in. Not sure if i wanna stray too far from the centre 'cos i'll probably get lost.

Also, please recommend the best cafes.... good coffee and food, nice open space, plants, things made of wood, you know the kind of crap i mean

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:30 am

Go humus Bros and carry a falafel wrap around with you for for hours.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:02 am

oucho

Postby bobo77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm

Going to Spain this summer - Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo, and a TBD homestay. Hyped AF. Anything I should be aware of? I know Barcelona has tons of pickpockets.

bobo77

Postby RycePooding » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

I lived in Spain last summer.

I was in Sevilla for six weeks taking classes and train hopping around southern spain staying in hostels etc for another 3ish weeks.

Southern spain is super duper hot, especially in August, with little to no air conditioning (tho hotels often do have AC) but once you get used to it, it's amazing. A very relaxed culture throughout, siesta is taken very seriously. The food is incredible, especially if you enjoy seafood. Some if it will gross you out at first I'm sure, but try everything you can, at least once, you won't regret it.

People may seem rude at first (I'm convinced this is why many Americans perceive Europeans as rude) but it's just a different culture. They aren't really treating you any differently then they would treat someone who wasn't American. It's a very open culture and they won't hesitate to tell you if they have a problem with something you're doing. I prefer it really. In my host stay it was a lot easier to get things right because they would just yell at me if I did something wrong and it didn't happen again. None of the bullshit tip toeing around the issue that happens stateside (often, at least.)

Sevilla was great, recommend visiting, but only for a weekend. I got very bored of it after a couple weeks. Grenada was my favorite city because of the mountains (and Alhambra is incredible, but so is every touristy thing there is to do in every city). Honestly you can skip cordoba and malaga. HIGHLY recommend both Cadiz and Nerja. Very chill beach towns that aren't too too touristy.

Anyway, if you have any specific questions about andalucia (where I was most of the time) feel free to him me with a PM and I'll tell you what I know!

RycePooding

Postby bobo77 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 pm

bobo77

Postby bels » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:11 am

Hummus bros really is a good shout. Hear good coffee is available from Caravan and Workshop but have no first hand experience.

I genuinely don't know what's fun to do in london. Go tate modern maybe, walk along the thames. Catch the tube.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:25 am

if you're heading to the Tate Modern, you might wish to go to the Hayward gallery, Bankside gallery and the Southbank Centre none of which are far... BFI southbank is often showing something interesting if you're into cinema... and there might be something on at Somerset House and the ICA too. Jean Paul Gaultier exhib at the Barbican centre is good also. Elsewhere you have the National Portrait Gallery and the National gallery on Trafalgar sq; Natural History Museum, the V&A and the Science Museum in south kensington and the Tate Britain near westminster.
the nearest green space is probably St James's Park. Hyde park, Green park and Regent's Park are not too far either. All are pretty convenient for the shops (incl. Other shop). Oxford st for low-end highstreet, regent st for higher-end highstreet, Conduit and Bond sts for luxury. Berwick st often has a little market. I hear Dover st has a market too. lots of coffee shops around but i can't recommend any in particular.

germinal
Garminlad

Postby sid3000 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 am

would like to put the pressure on to post an album from his recent trip abroad as I was kind of looking forward to it

sid3000

Postby ramseames » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:36 am

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 am

Will be in Dublin in a couple of weeks for one night. Ballin'.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Rosenrot » Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Back from a month of travelling in Europe! I must say the most picturesque city has been Oslo - I simply love the balance between nature, history and modernity, it even trumps Cambridge (sorry bels).

Rosenrot

Postby brlmski » Sun May 11, 2014 1:31 am

Landed in Tokyo Narita an hour ago. Leaving for Taipei in about 3 hours. Going to Hua Lein and the National Palace Museum in Taipei, then going to Nanning on the 14th.

brlmski

Postby Rosenrot » Sun May 11, 2014 1:46 am

Will post some pics soon, exprof and rjbman!

Including a snapshot with none other than :sweg:

Rosenrot

Postby stappard_ » Sun May 11, 2014 1:58 pm

Just booked a week in South Carolina later in the year. Any Charleston-area c-t-ers got any recommendations for stuff to do?

stappard_

Postby missrowan » Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm

i'll be visiting oslo in june. any recommendations?

I will also going to: berlin, zurich, vienna, prague, stockholm, and antwerp. If you have advice/suggestions/stories/anything, holla at me yo. I'm travelling with one other person and I think we'll mostly be couchsurfing/airbnbing. I don't think we're tooo fussed on seeing sights (although we aren't opposed to it if it's really spectacular), mostly just want to see/feel the culture/jizz all these different cities.

missrowan

Postby neon » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Going to Seattle and Vancouver in about three days! Should be a lot of fun.

neon

Postby donut_milk » Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 pm

I just got back from Kentucky for a short weekend trip. It was raining and I was not adequately prepared because CA is going through a drought and it doesn't rain that much. I also ate tons of bad food (fast food everywhere) which I normally avoid. Went to a college party where I felt extremely old haha but everyone was really nice.

Prior to that, about a month ago, I went to the Philippines..aka the homeland to visit relatives. Went all over: Manila, Baguio City, Tagaytay, Lengayan, and Pozzorubio. Ate balut, too much (not enough?) pork, buko, ube sweets, and sisig. I got to ride this lovely creature:

And of course ate this upon arrival:

donut_milk

PreviousNext

Return to Care