[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby starfox64 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:34 pm

just don't post a fucking fit pic of you and your brother horsing around in the holocaust memorial

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:49 am

Over the past 5 years I've been to a lot of places, I'll try and remember relevant stories (don't have any decent pictures unfortunately).

First Trip: Mostly Bavarian Germany, with a bit of Switzerland, France, and Austria thrown in

- Don't remember too much about this trip as it was many years ago, but I distinctly regret going to Germany when I was too young to appreciate beer. We ate at the Hofbrau house and I had a Coke. A shame I'll bear to the grace.

Second Trip: Spain

- Saw 6 bulls killed in Madrid, which was a cool cultural experience but definitely raised ethical concerns.
- Went to a seaside restaurant in Barcelona where the waiter was incredible. When my brother asked what kind of shellfish they had, he brought out a tray with live prawns, crabs, and lobsters on it. I ordered fish, which he fully and expertly deboned with only a spoon. When finished, he asked who my favorite Spanish artist was. I told him Dali (I don't know any other Spanish artists, but I do really enjoy Dali's work), so he threw the fish fillets haphazardly onto my plate, looked a bit wonky but it was good fun.
- Seville was a bit hellish. Dirtiest city we went to and the only one without an underground rail system, which we weren't prepared for as we couldn't find a bus map. Ended up having to take the bus one night and getting completely lost, my family panicked and we got off the bus without even being at a stop. It's full-on dark night and we're in the middle of some random seedy neighborhood in Seville and the only one of us who even kinda speaks Spanish is my older brother. We wander around until we find a bar where a very drunk man and his mildly drunk girlfriend offer to drive us to our hotel. On the way someone mistakenly mentions that we were planning on seeing a flamenco dance (which we eventually did, was breathtaking), but the drunk man decided he'd drive us to his bar to dance instead of driving us to our hotel. My 5-person family is packed into the back of a Ford Expedition being driven by a drunk and my brother's the only person who can try and communicate with this dude that we reeeeeeally don't care about flamenco that much and we just want to get home.

Third Trip: London

- I think my parents had had enough non-English speaking countries for the time being, so we did London. Not a lot of good stories here, I wish we'd waited until later so I'd have known about Saville Row and LN-CC and such, not that my flaxsisters would be into that. I just remember exploring a lot of amazing alleys and music shops.

Fourth Trip: Ireland

- As beautiful and fun as this place was, what I remember most is the driving. Tiny roads with large stone walls on either side and my dad is driving a bigass van down, passing only inches from other cars. At one point we were driving to a peninsula (can't recall the name) and we were driving mountain roads, we were run off the road by a DHL delivery truck. Blew out tire, were luck not to go over the side of the mountain.

Fifth Trip: Italy

- My dad works for coke and had a business connection with the CEO of a company over here, and he invited us to his house. What I thought would be a quaint thing turned out to be a hilltop villa overlooking the Mediterranean surrounded by a grove of olive trees from which they harvest and bottle their own olive oil. They had their personal chef prepare a meal which included some bizarre layered seafood dish and fried flowers, which were delicious. We ate at a round table with a rotating platform in the center, and they kept the wine flowing beautifully. Definitely discovered cuisine and wine on this trip.

Sixth Trip: Scotland

- This was last summer, and this place was incredible. The geography and natural beauty were breathtaking, especially in the Isle of Skye. Not a lot of great food, but met a lot of great people. Nothing like flirting overseas. This was the first time I was into drinking and could when I was with my family, so that was interesting. Whole lot of beer consumption, learning preferences and such. We visited the Glenlivet distillery which was also a fun time.

OOh yeah, and a side trip: Cancun, Mexico

Went here with my lady for her dad's re-marriage. All expense-paid resort type deal, and this was great fun. Three open bars, two of which were actually inside pools, fantastic restaurants, and a beach with perfectly clear water. If I work my whole life it'll be to die in a place as relaxing as this.

Sorry for the long post!

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Syeknom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Flights booked to Phuket end of February!

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:58 pm

I've had it with your shit.

From now on you can only post about a holiday if you post a picture of all the stuff you're taking with you, nicely arranged on your bed/the floor and annotated.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Need to buy those summer pieces first because it'll be hot sunshine there in February. Unlike in England.

Will think of you Bela.

Syeknom

Postby germinal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm

UnwashedMolasses are you sure you went to scotland? scottish food is amongst the best

germinal
Garminlad

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:34 pm

germinal I'm sure I went to Scotland but I'm not sure I actually got a good sampling of their food. My family's actually been pretty unlucky as far as food goes overseas.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby sensodyne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:52 pm

Going to be in LA frmo teh 31st to the 10th for some big music festivals. recommend me things to do, places to see, food to eat.

Things to keep in mind
-Coming from Canada
-Underage in US
-Will be with a friend
-be $$$ friendly

sensodyne

Postby hooplah » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

what kind of food do you like, i can rec you some places
there are a bunch of stores here you can check out. oc, south willard, mohawk gen, am rag, supreme, ooga booga... bunch of stores up and down la brea
you should eat in n out if you've never had it

hooplah

Postby ramseames » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 pm

go union and ask the owner if his NBHD laundry hamper really is as dope as he says it is.

ramseames

Postby sensodyne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Forgot to mention ill be staying in the santa monica-downtown area and will only have a vehicle for a portion of the time. Specialty fast food is cool. not a big fan of fish. Also yah rec me cool stores(not just clothing), The ones youve mentioned are cool.

sensodyne

Postby starfox64 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 pm

As in, you will be staying in downtown Santa Monica? There's a Ron Herman and a Barney's CO-OP there, and an Umami Burger (which I think is kinda meh but some people like it).

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby sensodyne » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:53 pm

sorry, part of the time in dt la and part of it in sm

sensodyne

Postby midvh » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm going to Zürich in a few weeks, anyone got any tips on what I should do?

midvh

Postby neon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I'm going to Vancouver in a little over a week and I'm very excited.

neon

Postby eli7 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:33 pm

Off to Paris next month with the paramore

Nothing planned really other than locating Daumals grave and leaving chapter 5 of mount analogue there so he can finally be horizontal

eli7

Postby can- » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:44 pm

can-

Postby starfox64 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm

he's not being serious, if you couldn't tell

starfox64

Postby ramseames » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:58 pm

ramseames

Postby bels » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:20 am

I bought a sick muji hangable toiletry bag to replace my current one and it's so much better. Can't believe how many better design decisions there are to be made on such a thing.

Also bought a little passport/boardingcard case.

Question for the travel jacket blazer cru though. If you're wearing a blazer as a travel jacket, what bag do you pair with that?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:25 am

i always think backpacks look odd with blazers so it's gotta be some kind of messenger laptop thing right?

starfox64

Postby bels » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:38 am

Aye but even so it can't be too techy or whatever (unless you have some tech combo blazer)

I have a leather satchel that can go with a blazer, but it's super heavy even when empty so I don't want to wear it in an airport.

I have a simpler canvas messenger that can just about go with the right kind of blazer. I'm assuming something like that, maybe a filson or something.

Either way, messenger bags sit pretty awkwardly with blazers imo. The strap is always pulling the chest together.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 am

Short travels e.g. to england I take a small backpack and a holdall, for bigger adventures it's be a big-ass rucksack and a smaller backpack for carry-on. It's all pretty ad-hoc and practical.

Would really like to be the kind of guy who travels a lot for business and can really invest thought and money into defining the perfect travel bag set-up. However my current role doesn't allow for that.

Syeknom

Postby Syeknom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Tickets all booked to go home: eurostarring it and then long train down to cornwall. Back up again new year's day and two nights in london town for some sales shopping. Proper job.

Syeknom

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:22 pm

I love the Eurostar. I'm taking it next month and I cannot wait.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Syeknom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 pm

It's really a very easy service.

Where you off to?

Syeknom

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Paris for a denim trade show, hopefully meet some new mills. I took it to Brussels recently too and it was a dream.

To put my adoration into context; I'm a regularly be-bearded anglo-arab who ALWAYS gets picked for random bag searches for flights.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby neon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:25 pm

neon

Postby slappa » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:12 am

Got back from my first trip across the atlantic earlier this week. The family and I, which also included the better halves of my sister, brother and I, went to New York for a week. We spent most of the time on Manhattan, but also had a couple of days in Brooklyn, which was my favorite part of the trip. On our way to Brooklyn Flea we walk past the Wythe Hotel and through the windows of the lobby I spot someone who stroke me very similar to ridiculousdb, but didn't think much of it - later that night I check instagram and see a pic of him eating dinner there. Not that this made it my favorite part of the trip, it was just weird.

Here's a couple of phone shots.

Top of the rock

Pre-shopping moment of serenity

Jersey side view

Corner of 6th and 14th

slappa

Postby Syeknom » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Hong Kong

Macau

Beautiful former Portuguese trading hub and colony, now the gaudy gambling mecca Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China. Great atmosphere, excellent mix of portuguese and chinese livelihoods, architecture, food, etc.

Lamma Island
Tiny little island with two fishing villages connected by a beautiful hike. Beaches somewhat marred by the sight of a gigantic power plant. Lots of great seafood and organic cafés. Very peaceful (we had one beach all to ourselves).

New Territories
Big hike through a nature reserve - lots of hills, heat and monkeys.

Hot stuff

Monkeys!

Syeknom

PreviousNext

Return to Care